Thursday 1 June 2017

Lady Dar's Damnable Cull of The Sacred Papaerback Book Shelf Blues: Thursday, June 1st!

I want to walk through life instead of being dragged through it. -Alanis Morissette, musician (b. 1 June 1974) 


Quite overcast today, with plenty of low clouds hanging over the hill tops. Showers are projected for later this morning so not sure if I'll be out riding. [Both rain barrels are brimming, once again.] With the quiet misty morning, it occurred to me that I've not been deep-water walking in aeons so perhaps this is a good opportunity to return to the pool. I do enjoy this particular activity immensely and the thought of an extended steam afterwards is quite appealing. While away I can only imagine what countless "treasures" Weeding Woman will have yanked from the newly, jam-packed shelves, a result of the recent decanting of the more than twenty boxes that have been in the garage for the past two years. O woe is me for my precious titles!

[Patrizio, I have done the preliminary preparations and it appears my plan A is a go. To start at the end, I would leave on Saturday 17th, to allow you and Lady Dar some recovery time and prep for your trip on Sunday. Alternatively, we could leave together on Sunday and play bumper cars on the No 3! A bit of spice to the trip we both seem to be getting used to! [Juno with dessert.  Lamb shank bone.  Wasn’t much left when she was done!] I am excited about how much money I will save by not having to go to Playland this year, as a trip in Rebecca’s raised camión monstruo will put most amusement rides to shame.

I hope to arrive as early as Tuesday / Wednesday … you did not mention if there was a short do-able project … but I would like a day or two to introduce Juno to the KVR. This is of course somewhat weather dependent, but the long term forecast, pending thunderstorms, hail the size of tennis balls, OK lake rising above the level of the guest bed … seems positive.

So. I am putting all efforts to reviving my Dad’s workshop and making a minuscule dent in the 58 year accumulation of priceless family heirlooms collected by my Dad who (a) never-threw-anything-out and (b) bought anything that cost only a dollar. You never know when you might need a toaster oven that doesn’t work!

Seriously, thanx again for your kind offer of the antique cabinet. It will compliment my living room beautifully. I won’t tell ypu what these things sell for up Main Street ...Will send final confirmation prior to departure. Branko

Dear Antique Cabinet Thief! Pleased to hear that our travel plans have dovetailed. If your schedule allows, I suggest you stay until Sunday and that way you can prepare one of your famous omelettes for brunch before we play bumper cars on the Crowsnest! You are welcome either Tuesday or Wednesday so you decide what best suits. Plenty of both minor and major "projects" to keep you well employed when not lollygagging on KVR with Juno and Duke!

With respect to projects, it would be great if we could manage to cobble the clothesline stand together and a small shelf in our bathroom. I would also like to run my ideas for bike lockers past you and perhaps we could come up with a step-by-step "Ikea/Peric" set of plans for Woodwork for Dummies! That should leave plenty of time for excursions to KVR, both north to Little Tunnel and south along west shore of Skaha, to OK Falls, a picturesque ride you must do.

On other matters, Tom, our new neighbour across back lane, house on corner, came over, last night, around 9:30 pm, to borrow our large aluminum ladder. He is up from Vancouver to finish working on the house and he brought the set of cat keys that didn't have house keys on them! I also gave him a small, collapsible step ladder we inherited from Dusty and Clara when we moved. He put it through one of the second story windows after he had removed the screen, so it was easier to clamber into the room. Fortunately, he had left the windows open, to air out the place, after painting, when they left two weekends ago.

I held the ladder until he was inside and then he helped me carry both back, once he was back on the main floor. That task accomplished, he asked me if I would witness the eviction notice he was going to serve on the tenants in the front suite as he needed to give them a month's notice. I was happy to oblige and once he'd finished the paperwork I accompanied him. Place had been rented to two people, originally, but he soon discovered that they had at least six others sleeping in the basement.


Sad to say, they seem to be a sorry collection of juiceheads and junkies so understand why the situation has deteriorated to the extent that it has. Don't think they are hardened criminals but the front yard is littered with torn-down bicycles so Tom thinks they are stealing to support their habits. When we went over there were four of them on the covered porch, obviously high or drunk, or both. Not aggressive, at all, but mostly just "out of it"! When Tom was last up he was cutting the grass and a woman came by, asking for one of the tenants. Tom said he was out and she replied that that was fine as she was just coming by to do her laundry! He assumes that they might be charging people to use laundry facilities as such expenses are included in their rent.

Eventually Tom and his wife, Helena, hope to retire here and the front suite will be for his ex-wife, who has, apparently, suffered from serious side-effects following brain surgery. I don't know much of this backstory but until the move from the Lower Mainland, they would like main part of the house as a summer retreat and rent out the suite to tenants who will not turn it into a Victorian slum. Still, does not really address the plight of current unfortunates, everywhere in the region. There is little if any rental accommodation in Penticton, as it is, and even empathetic landlords are understandably reluctant to rent to those on the margins, given what is likely to happen.

Must say that we have never experienced any sort of problem or anti-social behaviour, other than the occasional cigarette butt on our driveway, and we both feel quite a social responsibility for their well-being, in terms of addiction treatment opportunities and non-sub-standard housing. Think it is time to become more active in pressuring local politicians into addressing these pressing issues. We have met Tarik Sayeed when he ran, unsuccessfully, as the NDP candidate, in the provincial election. He is a City Councillor so we will start with him. As well, we know Dick Cannings, our MP, NDP, so I would like to have his advice on how to proceed in this matter. He is extremely approachable and I have the greatest respect for him.

On matters feline, the kittens betrayed their sadistic selves, yesterday afternoon, when they were batting a tiny, quivering field mouse back and forth, on the back patio. "Nature, red in tooth and claw!" Better tell Juno to start worrying about her lamb bone! Buona Fortuna with your Dad's workshop. You could always load up Rebecca's camión monstruo as I need more bridge prizes! Don't worry about the cost of the antique cabinet as you are now indentured for fifteen years! Supposing Burns Street doesn't float way or isn't pounded into rubble by hail stone boulders, we look forward to welcoming you and Juno in a couple of weeks. Fondestos from Lady Dar, assuming the downward-facing cat at her yoga class, as I scribe. Cheers, Patrizzio/Il Conduttore!

Pics: Mousing! Inspection; Duke feigning disinterest; Post-mousing fatigue! Cat Burglar: Tom was coached by Etta and Duke before this caper! Patrizzio, Famous omelets, followed by a bumper car ride to the Cowboy Cafe in Princeton, for a coffee boost to get us to Gridlock City, sounds like a plan that even Trump could not make up!

I will pontificate on your construction requirements as I load defunct toaster ovens, toasters that don’t work, non-working electric grills, a myriad of socket sets, not two pieces that actually fit together, and other priceless family heirlooms into Rebecca’s truck, in prep for recycling runs. I’ll try to come up with some drawings for bike lockers as I have a pretty good idea of your requirements - demanding as they are.

A walk, or slow ride, with Juno and Duke to the Little Tunnel would be great. If we go South, perhaps Lady Dar might like to take Juno for a walk while we do the Skaha? I don’t think she has met Juno, but I have no doubt she will be won over by those big doe eyes … Interesting news about your neighbor, and the spin-off issues. I wish I had a solution to these social problems, if in fact one exists … well topic for discussion.

***Breaking News *** just talked to Rob, looks like I am good for Tuesday! Will keep in touch ...Branko


Dear Patrick Thanks for your email and pictures. Just to clarify my brother's property has no house--he simply has some acres that have been planted to vines. His vines are located just West of Howling Bluff-up on the ridge looking over the lake. He had the idea he would build a house on it but for now that hasn't happened. We stopped at Howling Bluff before heading back to Vancouver.

Things at work are fine--lots to do. However, I had acrued some hours doing evening classes etc. so I will go to Qualicum tonight to see Colin's mother. He drove over to Qualicum this morning. She seems to be doing pretty well but at 92 she is quite frail and tires very easily. Have to admire her though she doesn't complain much and seems to be in pretty good spirits. It has been cloudy and rainy here. Hoping for a good weekend. Take care and have some wonderful rides. Cheers for now Jo-anne 

  
Hi Lower Mainlanders! Glad you enjoyed the snaps. I think I knew about house-less property but was just hypothesizing reversal of roles! Pleased to learn that Colin's Mom is recovering and is in good spirits. She is a tough bird, like my Mom and Dusty! Heard from Ragin' Bull, (aka Branko), and he will be driving up in a couple of weeks to collect the large cabinet, in Rumpus Room, I pointed out when you were here. Supposing Burns Street doesn't float way or isn't pounded into rubble by hail stone boulders, we look forward to seeing you both back, especially when Lady Dar is home. Fondestos from her to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio


Clover!
Greetings early morning tipster! Glad things are coming together with the shelving unit and looks like it couldn't happen soon enough for poor Corrine who looks like she needs a nap after all the activity of late.
 

Too bad about the cables you needed as I have been tripping over literally a glad garbage bag of that crap that undoubtedly had the stuff you needed, if the situation arises again please let me know as it will probably be less to send it same day delivery as buying it from the source!. Sorry I couldn't have been around to give you a hand with your various projects as nothing would make me happier than to be able to do so and hang out with you for some quality relax drinking and riding time. One of these days not too far off after the cabin, Colleens' school being done, etc. I do hope to have a little more of that type of time if not this summer then perhaps some grandes and cervesas this coming winter is in order!  

New friend at the park!
[Having a rest going around Deer Lake.] Although I have not technically worked on a show for the last two weeks or so I have been busy between trying to finish a few outstanding jobs for other clients such as Bomber brewing, Germaine Koh the artist I have done work with in the past and an engineer at Burnco. Also between dog walking, putting this motorcycle back together to sell and cooking and cleaning I am as busy as ever. I am heading in to the shop today to prepare for our last cannon car on Predator which supposedly happens tomorrow up in Vancouver heights. They have rescheduled it about 3 times now so will believe it when it happens!
 

Our beautiful Clematis!
Of course with all that being said i have not managed to spend any time at the new cabin project but plan on heading up on Sunday and get some time in on it. Hopefully having it rent able by the beginning of summer. Just got a panicked call from the boss re the cannon car and some changes that need to be addressed so must get going but will talk soon. My love to Corrine. Cheers, Al
Pics: Clover and a new friend at the park, having a rest going around Deer lake, Our beautiful Clematis, Jake getting ready for his shift at Cactus Club.


Hi Cannon Ball Car Man and Belize-It-Or-Not-Babe! Just finished my Syrah/Yogurt Smoothie! Don't know why I haven't been doing this before! Great snaps, both of you! Sound and are, obviously, as busy as ever. Thanks for offer of cables, Stanchion Man. It is always the way, one saves things and then when they are needed you either can't find them or they are somewhere else to be of immediate use! No one is sorrier that I that you are not around to help out, [Actually, it would be me helping you!], and spend a bit of time biking and otherwise relaxing, while The Sisterhood sip wine, ever so daintily!

Jake getting ready for his shift at Cactus Club!
Just heard from Ragin' Bull and he will be driving back up, in a couple of weeks, to collect the large cabinet, in Rumpus Room, Lady Dar wants to be rid of. She pointed this out when he was last here and he said he'd be delighted to take it. He has his daughter's truck and pooch, Juno, while she is in Croatia for three weeks.

Fondestos from Lady Dar, off to meet with couple she is to marry, this coming Saturday, in Cawston, just east of Keremeos. She's asked me to drive her to venue. If weather cooperates, I plan to take my bike and will ride back to Penticton, about 60 km but much of it is uphill so a pretty good workout. Will see how I feel, once I get to Twin Lakes. I can take the turn-off there and wend my way back to Willowbrook and thence into OK Falls so I might be able to make it into a 100 km outing. Wedding ceremony is at 4:00 pm so I should have enough light, certainly for shorter version. Stay well. Travel safely, Marilyn. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Latest blooms from bulbs Dusty gave us from his garden, planted two years ago!

Hello South Okanagan Book Club Members! Just a reminder that Lady Dar and I will be hosting the next gathering, to discuss Katherena Vermette's The Break and enjoy a pot-luck. Non-reading significant others are invited as well. Mme Coriandre will be grilling something on the bbq, Luigi is down for an Asian Noodle Salad and Dame Judith her infamous salad! For the rest of those who will join group, we should probably have an appetizer, a vegetable dish of some sort and a dessert. Open to other menu suggestions as well. Please let me know, at your earliest convenience, who will be coming and what you would like to contribute. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Presale: Serena Ryder in British Columbia Don't you like her??? I'm sure tickets are cheap and the venue would be small!! Yes, indeed! Hi Ticket-Mistress! Will just be back from Folk Fest so might as well keep going with live performances! How were GF snaps? Love, Dad! Hi D, Thanks for pics, sounds like there is lots going on in the neighborhood! I just wanted pictures of you so no need for the scenery pictures but thanks. Kisses to kittens! Chloë


 






No comments:

Post a Comment