Thursday 8 June 2017

State of Emergency for Red Wing Clay Cliff Blues: Thursday, June 8th!

When I invented the web, I didn't have to ask anyone's permission. Now, hundreds of millions of people are using it freely. I am worried that that is going end in the USA. ... Democracy depends on freedom of speech. Freedom of connection, with any application, to any party, is the fundamental social basis of the Internet, and, now, the society based on it. Let's see whether the United States is capable as acting according to its important values, or whether it is, as so many people are saying, run by the misguided short-term interested of large corporations. I hope that Congress can protect net neutrality, so I can continue to innovate in the internet space. I want to see the explosion of innovations happening out there on the Web, so diverse and so exciting, continue unabated. -Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web (b. 8 Jun 1955) 




Have a substantial selection of heritage salad fixings in the garden , my contribution? Tis the time of year to devour all available chlorophyll..let me know.  What about our Figaro soiree, Lady Dar and you and ...Not booked up already on the 29th? Really need more warm bodies for this event to kick off.
Cheers S
Hi Sutherland Road Senka! Delighted that your garden is thriving so please bring any home-grown produce you'd like, prepared as you see fit.

With respect to Figaro Bash, I was aware of it and terrific to see where it is taking place as the Front Street Brasserie is one of our favourite spots in town. Lady Dar is on and will sign up, (As soon as she is out of bed!
She is hoping to be joined by a friend but has yet to confirm that.), but I, unfortunately, will not be able to attend what I'm sure will be a fabulous gathering. I leave on the 28th to drive to LA to attend our youngest grandson's wedding. Lady Dar will fly to Vancouver on July 3rd and then on to LA, with Chloë, our youngest daughter, on the 4th. Mme Coriandre cannot be away for more than a week, due to her Marriage Officiant duties. She performed her first wedding ceremony this past Saturday, in Cawston, [Everything went exceedingly well, so she was pleased, of course.], while I went cider tasting, just down the road! 

Please invited Bad Boy Bob to join us for dinner, if he is interested and available. Super K, (Aka Kevin Ritcey.
Kevin may get there before me. I am working at NR until 5:30. Dame Judith), will be coming for dinner so there will be another Brother-in-Arms attending.

I may well see you both later today as I was planning to drop by and collect latest release. Will someone be at the winery or will Ben be in charge? Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Cawston wedding and cider-tasting!


Hi Chloë! Go and say hi to Kevin for me! Love, Dad! Kevin Eastwood is a Vancouver-based producer and DGC-BC director member. As a producer his credits include the CBC drama series The Romeo Section, the DGC Allan King Award-winning documentary, Haida Gwaii: On the Edge of the World, and the feature films Preggoland, Fido and The Delicate Art of Parking. As a director, Kevin’s credits include the first and third seasons of the acclaimed documentary series Emergency Room: Life + Death at VGH as well as music videos, documentaries and second unit work for episodic television.

Knew that there was a threat of thunderstorms early this afternoon so I suited up, after a heaping bowl of yogurt, granola and a delish Mandarin orange, and was ready to hit the road by 10:50 am. As soon as I was outside, I knew I was in for fighting quite a blow, whenever I was heading in a southerly direction. Penticton Airport suggested that the wind was steady at 34 kph, gusting to 51 kph when I left and would then increase to 40 kph, gusting to 58 kph, over the time I would be out. This being the case, I knew, without a shred of doubt, Dear Reader, that Gerbalization/Hamster Wheel, ad nauseum, was going to be the name of the game for today's outing. 

So resolved, I gritted my teeth, put my head down, and embarked on the PTC/Lakeshore/Riverside. Power Street Loop. By so riding I was able to minimize the amount of time I had to ride directly into the wind and after 14 of said loops I had managed a third of my desired distance, (17 km), and was inching my way towards an AVG over 22 kph. Only time I rode directly into the wind was for a block or so on Power, off Lakeshore. Shielded, on Dynes as I headed back to Riverside, I made a slight, incremental increase on every second or third loop. After fourteen of these, I had half my desired distance and then hit Westminster to start all over again.

Lost a bit of speed on Westminster as this street is fairly exposed so after this I determined I'd stick to Power/Dynes for the Hamster Wheel/Merry-Go-Round Circuit and kept this up for 20 loops. By this time I knew I was in prety good shape as I had managed an AVg of 23.3 kph and had so plotted the return that I didn't need to hit PTC before I headed up Ellis. Knew this was going to be the most challenging part of the ride as notonly wa sit slightly uphill but the head wind was simply ferocious and I couldn't really escape its fury. 

However, I still had a few tricks up my sleeve and turned off Ellis, waving hello and goodbye to Cannery Brewing and Mile Zero, at Westminister to follow it to Abbott and thence to the bike/pedestrian path which follows Penticton Creek. This route, although still a bit of an uphill climb, is far more sheltered than Ellis and I was able to avoid the worst of the head wind's blast to reach Government and then turn onto White. Couldn't have been happier to be home especially as I'd only dropped my AVG down to 23.1 kph. Hip Hip Hooray! Best time this year, for such a distance, and given horrid wind conditions must say I'm quite pleased with results!

Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1785836205#.WTrBgst3ftY.email
 


Greetings Patrick!  Many thanks for the entertaining yesterday and the coffee! We were most impressed with your new house and how you've developed it. Super! Today's Lawn bowling and car show on the banks of the lake. Then home tomorrow. Regards to Lady Dar and take care! Anne and Baldrick

Hi Stefano! Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time in Glendale. We have had some terrific wine-tasting trips in and around Paso, along with visits to Hearst Castle, so it is a favourite spot for us. Thanks for the virtual toast! Also pleased to learn that The Professoressa is making many useful contacts.

However, still a tad confused about where and when you want to hitch a ride when you replied: "Thanks for la offer - I would love to join you but I will be back to collect Colin and stay w Amos n Pat in Aug-Sep, then C and I are driving back to Seattle-Van." Followed by, "If perchance it works out I could hitch down for a few days landscaping and giving guitar lessons to Dave - he was chuffed when I suggested it." Let me know what you have/had in mind. Be pleased to offer suggestions of where to stay/visit on your road trip with Colin. Basically, need to know which route you want to drive and for how long you imagine you wish to take. We can discuss such on drive back to Penticton on June 20th. Lady Dar will have her spots to suggest as well, I'm sure.

Must away as we are off to The Naramata shortly to collect latest release from Terravista and then on into Village, itself, where Lady Dar has some clothes to look at! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Andrew, (former squash mate), and Anne Hobbs drove up from Vancouver on Monday with a convoy of about twenty other vintage MG's. They visited Penticton/Summerland yesterday and I went to Visitor's Centre to meet them and then they came to our place for a java before they had to rejoin group. Wind is gusting out of the South at between 58-64 kph and this gorgeous creature took refuge on the artificial flowers of the lamp in a protected corner of the patio. Had to keep Etta from wanting to devour it. Couldn't believe how she was growling and swishing her tail. I believe it is a Tiger Swallowtail and poor thing is still clinging on!
 

Hi Patrick, Glad you can help😉 Assuming the supplements are in pill bottles of 100, I would appreciate it if you could send me two packs of each in the mail and send two packs of each home with your Melbourne friends. On the way back into Australia, if your friends declare them they will have them confiscated; they are prescription only in Australia so you need a prescription to have them in this country. If they don’t declare them and get picked up by Customs, suggest to your friends that they say they had no idea, they bought them at a 711, you can buy them anywhere and everywhere in the USA. In other words plead dumb, how is anyone to know that you needed a script, and they won’t get into trouble. I will investigate the e-transfer. Thanks once again for your help Patrick, I really appreciate it.

Forgot to mention that Bree and I spent the weekend in the Clare Valley and di the Riesling Trail on our bikes-have you done this before? Bloody fantastic fun…wineries galore, some with restaurants along the trail to stop at for lunch and the trail is on an old train line, so the gradients are all quite mild. Regards, Mark


 

No comments:

Post a Comment