Sunday 4 June 2017

Summerland Pontoon-Assist, Water-Wings Blues: Sunday, June 4th!

All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be, I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate-school mountain, but there in the sand pile at Sunday School. These are the things I learned. These are the things you already know: Share everything. Play fair. Don’t hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. Don’t take things that aren’t yours. Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody. -Robert Fulghum, author (b. 4 Jun 1937) 

Up at 6:45 am although I's stirred about half and hour earlier when Soccer Boy started chasing one of his crumpled paper balls around the bed, surprisingly, in rather a restrained fashion. Didn't really mind as I'd like to go for an earlier ride today. Since the wind seems to be out of the NNE at 9 kph, so far, am toying with scoping out the effect of lake level on Trout Creek, Lower Town and Crescent Beach.

Hi Patrick My brain has an increased volume of red blood cells after coming back down from above 4000m, so I should be good for any mental challenge. Therefore, if there is room at a table I would gladly join you guys? Cheers. Mike
Hello again, Bridge Gourmets! Welcome home, Michaelo! Glad you will join us. Perhaps you could bring another appetizer, [Appetizer it is. See you all there

Cheers. Mike], as Judy Blue is contributing a dessert, (Yes, please bring your card table, JB. Thanks.), Josinta a vegetable dish, Olga Polga a salad and Spiller Road Gang an appetizer. Without Naramata Goil we'll only have seven players but that will give us plenty of time to eat and sip! Look forward to seeing everyone on Tuesday at 6:00 pm. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Crazy Jake at Farmers' Market yesterday!

Unfortunately I'll not be at the pot luck. Friends form Sedona here and I'm going to join them and Margaret on some of their bike trip for 3 days Mon to Wed. Miss you all and see you soon Gill Phil is going to make some fresh bread and bring some chips/peanut snacks.
Hi Judy Blue, et al Trust that you have been enjoying the weekend. Lady Dar's first wedding ceremony, in Cawston, went exceedingly well so she was quite pleased. I had a wonderful time wine-tasting while she was hitchin' folk!

On another matter, just heard from Jack Rabbit and it now turns out that she cannot play this week. Phillipo will be along, however. Corinne mentioned that you have a bridge-playing friend who might like to join gathering. If so, please invite this individual. If person is not available or interested, don't worry as we'll still have seven players. Thanks again, for offering to bring your table. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Wedding venue and environs!
 


Hi Gilliana and Phillipo! Sorry you won't be joining us for the bridge pot-luck, Jack rabbit but pleased that Phillipo will. Not sure if you will be hiking tomorrow, Phillsbury Dough Boy, but if you are, I'd appreciate a lift to HH. I left a phone message earlier but thought I'd send along a message just in case you don't always listen to voice mail. We often don't until it's too late! If you can collect me at Burns Street, I can be ready at 7:30 am. Just let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: If interested, here is the account of Friday's ride. Did you go to OK Falls via McLean Creek Road? For my part I stayed on Eastside, both ways. 

Nothing special for us you would say ... well it is ... read on. Bodil is in Toronto for her work, several busy days of meetings (with a medical letter approving her travel). Long story short, at 12:30 AM or so Vince called us from Calgary, that Bodil was in hospital and about to deliver our grandson! Arlo Masterson was born at around 2:00AM (~5:00AM Toronto time) in the St. Michael's University Hospital in Toronto. Vince took the earliest flight possible and arrived later Saturday morning. Despite being very early Arlo weighs 5 pounds. Both baby and mother are healthy and happy. He is hooked up to tubes, but is beautiful with lots of hair and .... yes ... beautiful hands with what looks like guitar fingers! Yeeeehhh! 

Arlo will have to stay in Toronto for a while, not clear as of yet when Bodil and Vince will be able to travel home with him. We cannot wait to see him, hold him, sing songs for him! So far we all called him Floepiedoep, but now his official name is Arlo! None of us had any sleep on Saturday and Sunday, especially Bodil and Vince .... so yes a hectic but happy weekend so far. More later. Hugs,
Aart & Jos 


Hello Famiglia Dronkers! Congratulations indeed, to everyone, but particularly to Bodil and Vincenzzo, of course, on the safe, early arrival of Arlo Masterson! Hip Hip Hooray!!! Glad everything seemed to go so well under such unexpected circumstances, it goes without saying. Trust the parents and handsome, guitar playing boy will be home soon and able to catch up on much needed sleep. Until then, all the best from Burns Street! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Welcome to Gaia, Arlo! Congratulations to both your parents. We can hardly wait to buy your first guitar CD! Fondestos and Cheers from Lady Dar and Patrizzio! 

Since I hadn't ridden yesterday, with all the wedding and wine-tasting hoop-la in Cawston, I was looking forward to hitting the road today. After spending most of the  trying to catch up on my backlog of correspondence, playing soccer with Renaldo, aka Dukos, I had my yogurt and granola, and a banana before suiting and lubing up. After wiping down my chain and putting a drop or two of oil on it, I was ready to roll by 11:30 am. Since the latest weather report indicated that the wind was out of the NNW and N at between 11-12 kph, I decided I'd scope out the effect of rising lake level on Trout Creek, Lower Town and Crescent Beach. Before I hit 97 I logged just over 26 km doing the PTC/start of KVR/Vancouver Ave/Middle/Upper Bench Loop beforehand. 

When in Red Wing East I noticed many of the lakeshore properties had sand bags across their front yards but once on 97 the highway was well protected by rough Cyclopean breakwalls along the shore. However, once I reached Trout Creek and was riding along Woods Ave, bout half a block from the shore there was plenty of evidence of significant sandbagging having taken place. Each street which ran down to the water was now blocked with a wall of sandbags and when I reached Powell Beach I could see the continuous, large, orange rubber dam which had been deployed here to prevent the lake water from inundating the low lying park area. Just a bit further along I passed a house surrounded by a small wall of sandbags but the protection one supposed they would afford had not worked as the house completely surrounded by what looked like at least six inches of water. I had always thought that the people who lived in Trout Creek, with lakeshore property, were swinging the world by the tail. Not so, at least until Okanagan Lake returns to normal levels.

I kept catching glimpses of more sandbagging efforts as I proceeded along Randall Street and Landry Crescent but here the houses seemed to be further back from the lakeshore so the rising water had not, apparently, had such destructive effects. Much the same story once I reached Lower Town  but I was pleased to see that the damage was not quite as bad as I had feared or heard. While the concrete boardwalk along the shore here was completely underwater and the park benches strung along its length were islands unto themselves, the roadway was not in danger of being compromised.

Much the same story for the lakeshore residences all the way to Crescent Beach, more sandbag walls but situation seemed to be under control so I was much relieved as, I'm sure were the residents! Turned around here and then rtraced my steps, only to discover that the wind had changed direction and I was now facing a headwind! Fortunately, it was only blowing out of the S/SW at between 7-10 kph so I was able to push mu AVG over 21 kph and by the time I reached Red Wing West, even higher, on the five or six loops I did here to give me the distance I wanted, by ride's end. Had thought I'd settle for a 71 km outing but once on the road I decided 81 km was a distinct possibility and then by the time I'd reached RWW, I knew 91 km was pretty easy to achieve, so why not, Dear Reader?

Thought I might lose a bit of speed riding up Ellis, against the wind, but was pleasantly surprised to find that I did not, rolling into our back driveway with and AVG of 21.6 kph on the clock. My legs and lungs felt pretty good for slightly over half the GranFondo distance but no real hills in the equation so I shouldn't fool myself. Still, a most pleasant and informative outing, seeing, with my own eyes, the very difficult time the rising lake level has thrust upon countless home-owners and community facilities. Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1778842021#.WTSqjRa1_T0.email 

Hi Fartologists, Just got back back in town. Tony has gracefully volunteered (again) to lead a hike to the Roddy Meadows tomorrow. We will gather at the IGA parking lot in Summerland at 8:00AM. Pentictonites should meet at 7:40AM at HH, then carpool to Summerland. PLEASE NOTE THE TIME CHANGE (8:00AM this time)! See you there. Aart Dronkers Welcome home Aart and Jos! Hope the rest of you have fun today, Doug and I are looking forward to joining you later this summer, we are off to Quebec this week Hanneke


Hi Old Farts, We had a great day last week at Lundbom Lake. It was new territory to our group, beautiful grasslands and meadows, still dressed in spring greens. This week we will attack Bud’s Knob, beginning from Farleigh Lake Road. We will: -meet at 0800 at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (0740 at IGA in Summerland). -carpool, drive to Farleigh Lake, and park at the Townleys’ place. -hike the slopes of Bud’s Knob. There is one tricky ascent. If it is wet, we will try to avoid it. -return to P’ton for debriefing. I have one request from Kay Townley…..there are many cows presently grazing in the area, and she strongly suggests that we leave our dogs at home. Let me know if you are planning to attend. Cheers, Jim

Dear friends & family I'm making a difference and fundraising for ALWS Australian Lutheran World Service, a cause that is close to my heart. I have set myself a goal to raise $200.00 and I need your help with a donation, big or small. Simply click the link below to view my fundraising page and donate. Please visit my fundraising page now: https://walkmyway.gofundraise.com.au/page/ChristinaTassell0

All donations to this site are sent directly to ALWS Australian Lutheran World Service and you'll get a receipt automatically via email. Use the DONATION button to receive a tax-deductible receipt. The DEPOSIT FUNDS button is for people who don't need a tax-deductible receipt.

Help do even more by 'liking', leaving a 'comment' and 'sharing' my page too. Every little bit helps to reach my target of $200.00. So please dig deep for this great cause and help make a difference. Thank you for your support
Christina Tassell https://walkmyway.gofundraise.com.au/page/ChristinaTassell0
Hello Making A Difference To The World People! Trust everyone is well in spite of the fact that you are in the depths of winter! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment