Saturday 14 September 2019

To the Town Fortress I Will Go Blues: Saturday, September 14th!

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you. -John Bunyan, preacher and author (1628-1688)


Pat, don’t know if anyone has been keeping you up to date on Branko. I was away for a while so have not seen that much of him. Anyway, after he came out of hospital he had a couple of incidents that landed him back in hospital for a few days. Apparently related to alcohol. So, he checked himself into a rehab program for a week but after the week was up decided to stay for 28 days. So, now he is in his second week there. He has been in touch with John Maclean who says that he sounds better that he has in months. Hope all is well with you. Regards, Peter


Hi Peter: Thanks for letting us know about Ragin'! [You seem to be the messenger of choice as you were the one to tell us about his first nasty fall.] Although I'd sent him a number of messages over the last few weeks I hadn't heard back from him so now I understand why this is probably the case. While I'm sorry for his situation am pleased that he had the courage and foresight to do what he did. Trust this program of rehab will succeed in putting him on the path to full recovery, both mentally and physically. 
Coincidentally, we are in Croatia at the moment, in Hvar, one of the lovely port towns on the island of Hvar. Not sure if you knew about our trip but we started out in Vienna, (August 29th), and then drove to Budapest followed by Ljubljana. Stopped for a couple of hours in Trieste on way to Rovinj, first town in Croatia. Next on to Split. Lovely drive along the coast once we were closer to Split. Were there for three nights and then to Hvar, by ferry, for four nights, before heading to Dubrovnik. We will be there for four nights, friends, Flamin' and Sarge, we are travelling with, only for three as they fly to Rome for a couple of nights and then home. We fly to Prague and then wend our way, via Český Krumlov and Salzburg, to Zurich, to arrive on September 28th-30th, and then to Bern, from September 30th to October 5th. Then to Valence for three more nights with more friends and then into Paris for four nights before flying back to Penticton on October 12th.
 
I will send Branko a message but if you will be visiting him please pass along our best wishes and tell him we are thinking of him at this difficult time. Hope you are well. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: We will be in Vancouver from October 27th to the 30th. I usually try to stitch together a bridge game while there so if you are around and interested perhaps you could mention this to Johnny the Snooz and Ragin' and we might have an evening together. Let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. 


Pics: Rovinj, picturesque hill town with The Church of St. Euphemia, often known as the Basilica of St. Euphemia, although it is not formally a basilica minor, a Baroque church with a tower that is a replica of the Church of St. Mark in Venice on the Piazza San Marco. One of the beaches near our apartment in Split; dinner at a lovely restaurant, Korta, in the old town, that evening; Extraordinary Dalmatian choir singing in Diocletian's palace, during walking tour of Split next day. Acoustics were phenomenal; Self-portrait, on day-trip to Šibenik, up the coast from Split, with jaunty new hat, [purchased at market, earlier, in Split]. The Sisterhood cooling off after we walked around Šibenik, apparently known as a gateway to the Kornati Islands. Looking back at Šibenik from beach just outside city itself. Leaving Split. At times it almost seemed like we were taking ferry to VI! Coming into Hvar itself. Plan to visit castle over next few days!

Hello Clan Sanders: Thanks to one and all for your news filled messages. Both Corinne and I were dismayed to learn of Noreen's temple to jaw pain. Trust tests will reveal cause and that she will be able to take trip to England/Scotland. Please pass along fond regards to her from us both. Also exciting that she has agreed to move to Courtenay. You'll be able to bring her to Penticton when you next visit. Speaking of same, we visited Blasted Church, Kevin, a few weeks before we left for this trip and were most impressed with many of their offerings. Winery is located closer to OK Falls than Osoyoos, however. We'd not been for many years, [Last time I rode and was huffing and puffing like a CN steam engine by the time I reached the top of the very steep bluff!], and were not aware of their recent awards. In general, we tend to follow our noses when we wine-taste and don't worry, over-much, about stinkin' awards!

Weather, [other than one day of torrential rain in Vienna and then on first night in Rovinj], has been wonderful. Can be blistering during the day but cools off very nicely at night so sleep comes readily after busy days and copious amounts of local hooch! We gather, from Face-timing with Chloë, that Penticton has had some rain of late. Pleased to hear that her latest check-ups have been very, very positive and that she is doing well in spite of recent move, etc. She will be staying at our place this weekend as Judi, cat/house sitter, has a busy few days. Etta and Duke will be pleased to see her, I'm sure, and she them. Work and setting up her new place keeps her from popping in as much as she'd like.

Thanks for the link to Winnipeg's Dubrovnik, Maya! I enjoyed your snide remark about KEPSCO's role in demolition, Maya! Interestingly enough, we first went there on Noreen's recommendation as she and Rocky liked it very much. While we won't be in Dubrovnik itself for a few days yet, I was there, with Chloë, in 2007, and friend, Branko Peric, born in Zagreb. His father was the engineer in charge of rivets on the original Port Mann Bridge! At that time we saw evidence of the shelling on the city's walls.

Certainly enjoyed the piece on Sontag in Sarajevo, Colin. [When we were in Stockholm in 2010, we viewed a fascinating exhibition: Annie Liebovitz, A Photographer's Life, at Fotografiska, (The Swedish Museum of Photography), a centre for contemporary photography which only opened a month or so before we visited. Another exhibition was Lennart Nilsson, A Child is Born. You might recall, he was the Swedish photographer and scientist, noted for his photographs of human embryos and other medical subjects once considered unphotographable. Interestingly enough, on that trip, our Danish friend, Margareta, [Chloë's former nanny], joined us for a few days in Stockholm, and one of her sisters became a good friend of the boy/embryo Nilsson photographed!] Had thought we might take a day trip to Sarajevo, en route to Dubrovnik, as highway passes through tiny piece of Bosnia and Herzogovina, on country's outlet to Adriatic, but we are running out of time.

Thanks, as well for Michael Chabon's ‘Ulysses’ on Trial , more than dear to a librarian's anti-censorship heart! Coincidentally, when in Dublin, at the tail-end of the 2010 trip, we spent a week in Dublin and walked some of Bloom's steps. As well, the Theater Festival was on. We were able to obtain tickets for Seán O'Casey's The Plough and the Stars and for a remarkable reading, [four actors], of some of Beckett's shorter works. I must admit that I had never really fully appreciated the sheer poetry and riveting, mesmerizing magic of his heretofore almost impenetrable, though ultra-spare, dialogue before hearing it spoken on this occasion.

Back to the present. At the moment, in Hvar, one of the lovely port towns on the island of Hvar. Here for three more nights, before heading to Dubrovnik.
Lazy sleep-in this morning with Café Turk on our shaded deck followed by delish boiled eggs, courtesy of Lady Dar, for breakfast. Sent a few messages and now must away to follow gang into town. Want to do a bit of exploring, perhaps climb the hill to the castle. Fondestos to one and all. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Self-portrait, on day-trip to Šibenik, up the coast from Split, with jaunty new hat, [purchased at market, earlier, in Split]. The Sisterhood cooling off after we walked around Šibenik, known as a gateway to the Kornati Islands. Looking back at Šibenik from beach just outside city itself. Leaving Split. At times it almost seemed like we were taking ferry to VI! Walk into town for dinner: Station of the Cross, Castle and part of harbour; terrific local wine for dinner!


I was just applying sunscreen when The Gang of Three returned from their stroll. They had picked up a chicken for tonight's dinner, along with a few vegetables, some rolls, cheese and sliced meat for sandwiches for lunch. This being hte case I fixed myself a Dagwood and after I'd polished it off I headed into town to explore on my own. First stop was at the beach closest to where we are staying and then further along the promenade back towards the inner harbour. Not all that many people about, certainly not as crowed as it was last night. Once I was in the Main Square I decided I'd take a look at some of the narrow streets leading up towards the castle. 


More expensive clothing and jewellery stores,a long with a plethora of souvenir shops, all to avoided, at least by me, Dear Reader! As I clambered upward, I decided I'd keep going until I reached what I suspected was a road leading to the Fortress itself. Took about ten minutes of Grouse Grinding and then I was at the entrance to the Fortress grounds. From here on the going became increasingly easier as there are about four or five 3%-4% switchbacks leading up to the impressive fort. Stunning views of Hvar and the surrounding islands from almost anywhere along the paths, as well as benches for anyone needing to catch their breath.

Felt a bit like being back with the hiking group so I quite enjoyed the trek. Paid 50 kn at the entrance and spent almost an hour touring the very well preserved and maintained site, climbing to the highest watchtower and descending into the bowels of the dungeons, down a very, very steep set of winding stairs. Glad there was a handrail all the way to the bottom as the steps themselves were worn slippery smooth and very narrow so I actually turned sideways at times, to better negotiate them. Pleasant, umbrella covered café in one of the larger courtyards but I had my own "swamp juice" so I sipped it before I headed back down. Breeze was lovely on return so I took my time, stopping to snap the magical vistas below. 



Did a bit more exploring once I was back closer to the square and came out around the corner from the open-air market where I bought a couple more tomatoes and two limes for the Cuba Libres favoured by Sarge and myself! Also picked up some Feta cheese for tonight's salad at a butcher shop across the way. Then I made for the beach as the Gang of Three said they were planning to spend the afternoon there. Found them without any trouble as it is a very tiny, yet attractive plaža. ensconced, as they were, in the lap of luxury on rented deck chairs, I emptied my pockets and left my back-pack and camera with Lady Dar to stroll further along the promenade. Sarge had mentioned there was a set of stairs there which would allow one to drop into the water where depth was well over one's head. Walking into the water on the beach is hard on the tootsies as pebbles and small rocks are quite unforgiving. Relished the cool dip and bounced around in the swell, balancing on a large rock, every so often, to take a rest from sculling on my back. 

Refreshed from my climb, I swam to the ladder and clambered out, aided by the swell which pushed one, if timed right, out of the water. Dried off in the sun and then made my way back to collect my possessions. Gang were planning to stay for another hour or so but I didn't want anymore sun so I headed home for a quick shower and change of clothes. When the swimmers returned I was ready for a beer so we all sat on the patio and toasted each other. Flamin' browned the chicken and Lady Dar prepared the carrots and zucchini, purchased this morning. These comprised, along with a large can of white beans, a bed for the bird, now nicely roasting away in the oven. Must away to prepare the salad, fortified by my second rum, Dear Reader!

For our part, we are suffering as well. Lazy sleep-in yesterday morning with Café Turk on our shaded deck followed by delish boiled eggs, courtesy of Lady Dar, for breakfast. Sent a few messages and then planned to follow gang into town. [They left while I was finishing my cackle-berries!] Want to do a bit of exploring, perhaps climb the hill to the Fortress. As it turned out, I was just applying sunscreen when The Gang of Three returned from their stroll. They had picked up a chicken for tonight's dinner, along with a few vegetables, some rolls, cheese and sliced meat for sandwiches for lunch. This being the case I fixed myself a Dagwood and after I'd polished it off I headed into town to explore on my own. First stop was at the beach closest to where we are staying and then further along the promenade back towards the inner harbour. Not all that many people about, certainly not as crowed as it was last night. Once I was in the Main Square I decided I'd take a look at some of the narrow streets leading up towards the castle. 

More expensive clothing and jewellery stores,a long with a plethora of souvenir shops, all to avoided, at least by me, Dear Reader! As I clambered upward, I decided I'd keep going until I reached what I suspected was a road leading to the Fortress itself. Took about ten minutes of Grouse Grinding and then I was at the entrance to the Fortress grounds. From here on the going became increasingly easier as there are about four or five 3%-4% switchbacks leading up to the impressive fort. Stunning views of Hvar and the surrounding islands from almost anywhere along the paths, as well as benches for anyone needing to catch their breath.

Felt a bit like being back with the hiking group so I quite enjoyed the trek. Paid 50 kn at the entrance and spent almost an hour touring the very well preserved and maintained site, climbing to the highest watchtower and descending into the bowels of the dungeons, down a very, very steep set of winding stairs. Glad there was a handrail all the way to the bottom as the steps themselves were worn slippery smooth and very narrow so I actually turned sideways at times, to better negotiate them. Pleasant, umbrella covered café in one of the larger courtyards but I had my own "swamp juice" so I sipped it before I headed back down. Breeze was lovely on return so I took my time, stopping to snap the magical vistas below. 

Did a bit more exploring once I was back closer to the square and came out around the corner from the open-air market where I bought a couple more tomatoes and two limes for the Cuba Libres favoured by Sarge and myself! Also picked up some Feta cheese for tonight's salad at a butcher shop across the way. Then I made for the beach as the Gang of Three said they were planning to spend the afternoon there. Found them without any trouble as it is a very tiny, yet attractive plaža. ensconced, as they were, in the lap of luxury on rented deck chairs, I emptied my pockets and left my back-pack and camera with Lady Dar to stroll further along the promenade. Sarge had mentioned there was a set of stairs there which would allow one to drop into the water where depth was well over one's head. Walking into the water on the beach is hard on the tootsies as pebbles and small rocks are quite unforgiving. Relished the cool dip and bounced around in the swell, balancing on a large rock, every so often, to take a rest from sculling on my back. 

Refreshed from my climb, I swam to the ladder and clambered out, aided by the swell which pushed one, if timed right, out of the water. Dried off in the sun and then made my way back to collect my possessions. Gang were planning to stay for another hour or so but I didn't want anymore sun so I headed home for a quick shower and change of clothes. When the swimmers returned I was ready for a beer so we all sat on the patio and toasted each other. Flamin' browned the chicken and Lady Dar prepared the carrots and zucchini, purchased this morning. These comprised, along with a large can of white beans, a bed for the bird, nicely roasting away in the oven. I prepared the mixed green salad, topped with local Feta, fortified by my second rum, Dear Reader!
Wonderful meal on our small but comfortable outdoor patio. Our landlady, Vesti, a lovely, lovely woman, came by shortly after we were finished as I'd asked her husband how to set the washing machine. He "mimed" he didn't know how but would send her downstairs when she returned from swimming. While she was hear we quizzed her about the property, etc. She was a teacher at the high school, almost next door, physics and general science, while her husband was an architect. During the Communist regime they both had to work for the state. His parents owned a fair bit of property but lost all of it, except lot on which current buildings stand. They now have nine suites, of varying sizes, designed and built by them over the last 39 years, with the help of their two sons, at different times. Anyway, we couldn't be more comfortable so enjoying a fairly relaxed few days. 
[Lindau on Lake Constance in Germany (complete with a Zeppelin which are still made in a nearby city)] 
  
Patrick Well I acknowledge that this is a delayed reply and for my tardiness please accept my apologies. I received your email when we were having a few somewhat busy days in Budapest which was focussed on our friends where we were staying as well as our involvement in the church fellowship at Budapest. We were well looked after but kept quite busy by them. We have now been back for a week or so, nearly over the jet lag and well and truly back at work. 
[Rugged rocks in the Austrian alps near St Anton]  
It was a chance opportunity for us to cross paths, so to speak. It was our pleasure to be able to extend a small ‘helping hand’ as you occupied the stairwell and corridors of the apartment block. Hopefully you overcame that initial hiccup and the apartment served you well (as did ours). Experiencing Vienna in the hot weather was perhaps a little unexpected and it presented a few challenges in an apartment without air-conditioning. Glad to hear that you were able to recover the missing luggage – what a nuisance that can be. 
[Penny riding along the shores of Lake Garda]
It is good that your experience at Herr Winkler’s restaurant was as good as ours. How good it was to get something a little less tourist oriented but with a bit of a show just for us non-German speakers. Budapest was very enjoyable (if very hot) with some lovely vistas and interesting history and culture. Thanks for the pics. I have attached a few that give a snapshot of our adventures during the month. We had a great mix of people and places and were thrilled to get the chance to experience some new places and meet many new people. 
Extraordinary green landscape around Lech in Austrian alps
The pics are of: Budapest by night; Lindau on Lake Constance in Germany (complete with a Zeppelin which are still made in a nearby city), Rugged rocks in the Austrian alps near St Anton; Extraordinary green landscape around Lech in Austrian alps; Penny riding along the shores of Lake Garda


Hope the rest of your journey went/goes well. Thanks for the invite and for making the contact.



Chris





Hi Chris and Penny!




Thanks for the lovely note and terrific snaps. We had a marvellous time in Budapest, topped off with attending the Wine Festival at the Castle in the late afternoon/evening.All the best, to you, Chris, and Penny. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment