Monday 29 April 2019

Begin the Bedding Plants' Frost Free Blues: Monday, April 29th!

This world is divided roughly into three kinds of nations: those that spend lots of money to keep their weight down; those whose people eat to live; and those whose people don't know where their next meal is coming from. -David S. Landes, author, professor of economics and history (29 Apr 1924-2013) 



Balsam-ic and 3rd to Burns Bog, over! Tummler, g'us an update on the one-armed paper hanger and his recovery. And on your travel plans to the Island Republic. We have been in the city for a Celebration of Life for the last of my mother's siblings. You would have enjoyed it and likely would have known many of the attendees. Could you ask Peter if he has a realtor he would recommend in Victoria. Jane has to sell her parents house there and is looking for someone. Fond regards to all, W, CJ y Morita

Penticton Calling! Penticton Calling! Come in, Salish Sea! Come in Salish Sea! Can you hear me? [I had to use Google Translate for most of your message. I fear you are devolving into impenetrable, unintelligible Island-speak and I assume the rest of your always erratic behaviour is tending, alarmingly quickly, towards the über barbaric as well!] If so, pleased to report that I am have shrugged off the slings and arrows of outrageous sling-shot binding, as of last Thursday, and am marching, at full speed, damn the torpedoes, towards vigorous physical rehab.  On Friday I will drive into Vancouver with Chloë as we will be attending a close friend's 65th surprise birthday party in Gibsons on Saturday. Just a whirlwind tour as we won't even stay overnight in Gibsons and will drive back to Penticton on Sunday. Unfortunately, and our hearts bleed, profusely so, no time for Salish Sea Salts! However, we will be staying with Elaine on both Friday and Saturday nights so if you will be in town again, let's get together for a drink, at very least, perhaps bridge and a meal, if that is in the cards, so to speak! Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. 

I just talked to Lynne, [Peter is in DRC filling his deep pockets with rare metals used in cell phones!], and they bought their condo off the plan so no realtor was involved and she doesn't know anyone else in city. You might send a message to our very close friend, Carol Riera, now in Qualicum Beach, who joined her sister there in her real-estate business. [I coined Chooch's slogan, Rely on Riera, so she owes me plenty!She, or her sister, might well be able to recommend someone so it might be worth a try. Just remember I get part of the commission from Calamity, after all the dust settles! Pleased the Celebration of Life went well. How goes your relationship with The Evil Sister? 

Must away as want to complete first set, (of three), of my arm/shoulder exercises. Would like to do something more taxing but don't want to try anything until physio assesses me. As well, need to walk to grocery store for a few supplies. [Down to one car now.] Ordinarily, I'd be more than happy to ride, of course, panniers at the ready, but can't afford to risk putting undue strain on shoulder until I've had the chance to strengthen muscles, etc. Will finish off with riding the stationary. Am up to 2.5 hours now and time just flies by, watching Netflix, mainly. Currently on Season Three of Fargo. While not done by Coen Brothers, producers/directors have done what I think is a superb job of keeping to original spirit/flavour of film so it is more than a delight to watch all the criminals, many extremely nasty, most bumbling half-wits, [hilariously depicted], encounter quiet, unpretentious law enforcement officers, (often women), much, much brighter and observant than their adversaries can ever, in their hubris, imagine. Fondestos to you both. Stay well. Cheers, form the Three Faces of Burns Street: Tummler/Il Conduttore/Patrizzio!

Bangladesh: Some conference pics. All from closing ceremony cultural events. Come in, Hong Kong! Come in Hong Kong! Great snaps from closing ceremony! Thanks. How long are you in Hong Kong? Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!



Come in, Geyserville! Come in Geyserville! Can you hear me? Trust you are both well. I just completed my Futures selection. Not sure if you have my up-dated Visa card on file so I entered it, just to be sure. When you have a minute let me know if order went through. Thanks. Saved selections: 3 Block 4 Futures - 2019 / 10 months; 3 Block 6 Zin Futures; (Formerly RaiZin) - 2019 / 10 months; 3 Terre Melange Futures - 2019 / 10 months; 3 Zinfandel Futures - 2019 / 10 months; 3 Italiano Style Futures - 2019 / 16 months; 6 Lagrein Futures - 2019 / 16 months; 3 The Ultimate Cuvee Futures - 2019 / 16 months. Fondestos to you both. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Gee, you could have bought a Tesla Model 3 for that price, much faster, but I know you do not drive much, just bike........sorry to hear about your shoulder........Dave Hi Pizza King!
No Tesla dealerships in town. My shoulder is well on the mend, thanks. How about your knee! Or was it a hip? Pics: Desperately seeking a Coffaro! Had to drown my sorrows in malt!

 
Patrizzio & fiends, Sure glad they have a free charging station in Manning Park. Hmmm, do they also have a free gas station? I would be even more impressed if there was cell phone coverage along (all) the #3. I’ve always wondered what one would do in case of break-down or injury during a low traffic period. It’s a safety thing, but I guess free fill-ups for electric cars are more politically important. Well, my jury is still out on electric cars. There are a lot of questions that I have not heard he answers to … so I am not giving up my bmw yet. I'm pretty sure it’s more fun to drive than a Kona-mobile! Branko



Hi Luddenko, et al! You, of all people, Ragin', so enamoured of technology, I would have thought you would have embraced, whole-heartedly, electric vehicles! Anyway, Dear Dinosaurus, I guess ossification has proceeded too, too far for you to be flexible enough to take one small step to help stave off global warming. Don't worry, however, as I'm sure you can convert your cherished BMW into an amphibious craft before the ocean inundates most of Kitsilano. Too bad you didn't keep your Dad's Albatross Ark! At any rate, let me know if you are available for a drive by or more. Cheers, Patrizzio, Spitting on Skyrocketing Gas Prices! PS: Imagine, one can slip Kona into Sport Mode, with the touch of a finger, and then we'll see which car handles better! Let's have a drag race on Broadway at 3:00 am!


Well Patrizzio, Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I am not the kettle. It is because of my interest in technology that I still have a lot of unanswered questions about electric cars. And yes, I do believe in global warming, I will never get into Trump’s cabinet.

When it comes to energy, there is no free lunch. Electricity has to be produced and is difficult to store. I agree there are worst (coal powered generator in your back yard) and less hazards ways. But let’s look at the whole picture. A car has to be built. Eventually, and far too often given how any people keep buying new cars, it has to be disposed of. In the case of electric, we got making and disposing of batteries. So when you look at the environmental impact of the life cycle of a car, how much of a difference does the type of fuel make?

I at least do not buy new cars, and I drive them for as long as they last, or sell them while they are still working. As for simple economics, I have put about $10K into my (now) 25 year old bmw. It is in *perfect* mechanical shape, looks great. Why don’t you look at how much you paid for the electro-mobile, subtract $10K, and see how much $$ I have to spend on gas? Oh, and your welcome to the government subsidy and “free” electricity … tax$@work!


I have no doubt you would beat me in a (very short) drag race - but it wouldn’t be along Broadway, even at 3:00am - you must not know how bad the traffic is in this city. I am technically knowledgeable enough to know electric motors have good low-end torque. My bmw has to hit about 4,000 rpm before the after-burners kick in - doesn’t happen in the city. But why don’t you give Lady Dar a buzz, and see if on her way home, she would please check out the handling at say … 200k on the Coq … uphill? She will definitely have to touch the “sport mode” button.

Not sure what you mean by “drive by”. You planning to be in town soon? Oh, there is one electric car I would consider … check out: <https://www.rimac-automobili.com/en/

So I will soon be looking for a new car and was thinking hybrid. Best of both worlds. I guess it would be Either twice as Bad or half as worse! J Hi Penguin! I suggest you buy a full electric vehicle. I started out with a Ford Escape hybrid but I wouldn't do that now. While it served me extremely well I strongly urge you to go whole hog electric. You won't regret it and you need to save the Antarctic ice for all your relatives, in spite of what the Crazy Croat says! Cheers, Patrizzio! I am pretty certain I would not get an electric vehicle.  I want to travel when I retire (hopefully in a couple years) and I would not want to worry about where the next charging station is.  And if I live where I am now, I don't have any plug ins.  However, I hope my little Rav 4 from 1998 continues to chug along for another couple of years. Janet

Hello again, Rimaco! You sent the Croatian extravagant monstrosity along ages ago. You need to wean yourself of your unhealthy fascination with torque, fantastically expensive torque at that and Batmobile design! At any rate, let's agree to disagree. I'm not about to waste time trying to convince you what your conscience, not your self-destructive stubbornness, should tell you to embrace, not deny á la Donaldo! 

Yes, Lady Dar and I will be in Vancouver, on Friday and Saturday evenings, of this coming week. Off to Gibson's on Saturday morning but will be back late that afternoon, staying with Elaine Keating both nights. Do you wish to play bridge, either or both nights. If so, you, et al, let me know and I'll see what I can arrange. Back to Penticton on Sunday morning. 

Just back from bridge, this evening, with two tables in Summerland, hosted by Olga Polga. Only seven but worked well with Dummy moving. Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pics: Bridge this evening! Tiptoe through the tulips with me!

Patrick, Now in Delhi. Fascinating place. Sunday we walked from our hotel to a little art gallery that contained a great cafe John knew about. Monday we hired a car and went shopping. Got back to the hotel in time to say goodbye to John. His meeting in Delhi was over and he had to fly back to Bhopal. Not sure what we're doing today. Colin Hello to you from Delhi. The conference we attended 3as on Dhaka Bangladesh. Sorry if I confused you. We did fly through Jong Kong entroute to Dhaka. Our stay in Delhi this far has been great . Cheers for now Hope your shoulder is healing! Lots if hugs Joanne Hello Nouveaux Delhigians! We enjoyed the city very much indeed, in spite of the terrible, terrible air pollution, at the time.



Not sure what the HK fixation is about. We did go there a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed it. Had a bizarre experience at a bazaar today. Carpet salesman strung the longest line of BS we have ever heard. Did you know that the pashmina is an animal like a llama? Special wool for carpet. Last 500 years. Too bad the whole story is fake. Oh well, it made for entertainment. Off to Taj Mahal tomorrow. Taj Mahal and Dehli with the Lighthalls! 

Hello Bazaar Goers! We experienced much the same in Turkey and in India as well, although we did buy in both countries, even though I had vowed not to do so! Lady Dar would drink the delicious, complimentary apple tea in Turkey, while I would opt for Turkish coffee or a Coke in India. No fixation about Hong Kong. I only mentioned it as you said you were looking forward to Duty Free there and I thought you might have been staying. 

We had a wonderful experience at the Taj Mahal. We were supposed to go early in the morning but as there had been heavy fog for a few days our guide suggested we change our itinerary to visit in the late afternoon. Turned out to be a wonderful choice as sunset was glorious and we were able to sleep-in next morning! See if you can locate the graffiti, [Naramata was here!], Peter carved into one of the inner temple walls! Cheers, Patrizzio!


I did assume, Marps, that you were just passing through Hong Kong. Another fascinating city, at least as far as we were able to discover. Lovely day here, although a few drops of rain early this afternoon. Still quite cool overnight so I've been bringing in our bedding plants, over-protective novice gardener that I am. Put them out in the glorious sun this afternoon. Had a grand time with two tables of bridge this evening, in Summerland. Only seven but worked well with Dummy moving. Enjoy the rest of your stay in Dehli. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Duhlink! Trust all went well with your book club discussion and gathering. Had a quiet day with even lazier felines! Mid-afternoon, walked down to IGA for a few groceries and then rode stationary for an hour. Drove over to Olga's with Ann, driving, and Dianne, who was just as happy to be a passenger as she said it had been a rather trying day with her kitchen renovations. Anyway, loads of fun even if we finished close to 8:30 pm. People must all be related to Gilliana! 

At any rate, what am I supposed to ask Atwater? Sorry, I forgot what you had mentioned or outlined. You could phone them if you have a moment. Let me know and I'll act accordingly. Haven't heard from Flamin' so I'll give her a call tomorrow. If she's free I'll invite her for dinner on Wednesday as that is only night that Chloë can come, having meetings, etc. Duke just came in so I have to go and give him a drink and then play with floss! Life without felines, don't you miss it! Love, Your Favourite All Night Radio Man! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Sleepoids this morning!




Hi Graeme! Thanks very much for the great snapolas! I hope to re-join gang as soon as I'm cleared by my physio and doctor who did right shoulder replacement. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Bridge Movers and Shakers! Thanks so much to Olga Polga for hosting such a lovely evening. Hip Hip Hooray! I was lucky enough to walk away with four pieces of her fab lemon loaf. Unfortunately  it was not a bridge prize! Next week seems to be a very busy one for many. Lady Darjeeling and I can only play on Wednesday, May 8th or Thursday, May 9th. If another day suits most people, that is fine. Anyway, let me know your preferences or availability and I'll do my best to suggest which date works best for most people. Will leave question of who will host until I know who can play when. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bridge this evening! Tiptoe through the tulips with me! 
 
Thanks Patrizzio. I enjoyed last night as well. I fly to Edmonton Thursday coming back on the 22nd. Monday or Tuesday afternoon or evening would work best for me that way maybe Gill and Phil could play. Hugs to all, Olly Visiting the Leprachauns .... will return May 12th, 2019. I will be checking my e-mail each evening. Dame Judith From all the happy smiles looks like a great time was had by all!!! I still have spring fever so am skipping bridge for awhile Judy xox Thanks Patrick.. I can only play next Wednesday. Dianne I can do Wednesday May 8 Susan Thanks for thinking about a possible pm but we can't do either Mon or tues next week pm or evening. Have fun Gill Hello Spiller Road Folk! So far, we have most people wishing to play on Wednesday, May 8th. Are you interested? We will host and can start earlier if that would work for you. Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Sorry Patrick, next week is a no go for us both. see you soon Gill



Hi Luigi and Cousin! Graeme forwarded me a couple of snapolas. Looked like a wonderful outing. I hope to re-join gang as soon as I'm cleared by my physio and doctor who did right shoulder replacement. No sling now so feel free as a bird! Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Oops It’s Tim Dunn in the picture. Now I recall. I think  we met on the lunar eclipse snowshoe back in February and you spoke about your passion for squash. I wish you a speedy recovery with your shoulder. Graeme Hi again, Graeme! Yes, I do recall chatting with you about squash but I think you meant Marian, not Tim, in snaps. Thanks for good wishes for my shoulder. Cheers, Patrizzio!







No comments:

Post a Comment