Saturday 27 April 2019

Naramata Giant Garage Sale and The Penticton Farmers' Market Blues: Saturday, April 27th!

Every creator painfully experiences the chasm between his inner vision and its ultimate expression. -Isaac Bashevis Singer, writer, Nobel laureate, (1904-1991)


Just back from visiting the Naramata Annual Garage Sale, held throughout the village. Arrived around 11:00 am and spent a couple of hours wandering from place to place, both individual homes, churches, and community centres. Loads of fun and Lady Dar and Chloë found a number of things they could use at ridiculously low prices. For my part I picked up a spare microwave platen for $1. I'm sure it would cost $30 or more from a dealer as I had occasion to buy the plastic ring, with three rollers, which the platen sits atop, a few months ago and it was around $30! Stopped at Black Widow on way back to collect latest release. Also picked up Clan Sutherland's wine as Lady Darjeeling will mule it into Vancouver tomorrow.

Then we headed back into Penticton to stroll the Farmers' Market which actually started last weekend. Very cool today, with lots of wind. [Heard it was gusting to 72 km/h in Vancouver and causing all sorts of problems with ferry service.] Lady Dar was looking for bedding plants so we now have both yellow and green zucchini, chives, a variety of tomatoes and Italian parsley. Too early to put them in our planters, [Garlic planted last fall is going extremely well and I can hardly wait to have scapes!], apparently, so will wait a few weeks or so. Speaking of being too early, in terms of temperature, it started to hail slightly when we were walking back to our car. Didn't continue but I gather there is fresh snow on the Coquihalla and I think there might be some on the summit of Allison Pass via the Crowsnest. Hope roads are clear when Lady Dar drives to Vancouver tomorrow morning. Now, exhausted from all the shopping, she is reading/napping with her cats. Pics: At the Farmers' Market with one of the "frozen" vendors, Leigh, who sells wonderful, flavoured balsamic! Lady Dar at work!


Hi again, Casa Vicentians! Thought I would forward this post as it describes some of the wineries in and around Paso Robles, Eberle, in particular, that we have both visited. We met John Compisi at an event at Coffaro a number of years ago and have been on his blog list ever since. Not quite the way we like to travel/taste but some interesting places nonetheless. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


You will have to show us your chin. Wow, unveiled after so many years. Perhaps I am tempted?
We have had a vibrant social life, including Michiganders in "your" room last night. So I am just seeing the last two messages.  Donna and Winston will arrive momentarily. We are doing cat sit for neighbor Yoko and newly wedded husband Michael. They are snowed in in Chicago and won't be home tonight as planned. So I can sympathize with your reluctance to put things into earth for an early start. Too early is not good. We had first tomatoes at Farmer's Market today; granted, hothouse, but still. And lovely Bulgarian tomato mistress back after the long winter interlude, so welcome even if tomatoes are not yet the "real thing." 

I have chicken simmering in the oven, salad made, and sipping a Mendoza Sauvignon blanc while savoring the afterglow of my cooking extravaganza. Enjoy your trip to Vancouver. Hope Mme. Coriandre isn't stranded without a charge in the wild Fraser River canyon!!!! Cactus

Hello Mendoza Tipplers! Wonderful to know that you continue to live The Lives of the Rich and Famous!, in terms of wines and haute cuisine! For my part I'm struggling with the pedestrian fact that the Kona doesn't seem able to accept the same sort of bike rack I've used for years!  Cross your fingers for Lady Dar on this, the maiden voyage of the good ship Kona! Adieu!!! Fondestos from her, to you. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Patrizzio, post-barbershop! Took these "selfie" snaps with my regular camera as I'm not really a regular iPhone addict, although need to become much more acquainted with it now Kona is part of our lives. 

Hi Patrick? What a view! (the lake I mean 😉) I hope you, or someone else will be able to read my scribbles, because I had so little space in the form to add the translation. If not, let me know and I can help. As of Monday, if you need an eighth player I could come, but if you have full tables I can pass. Cheers, Mike Hello Summerland Bound Bridge Players! Just had a note from Madcap Michaelo and he is in for Monday evening, along with Ann. This being the case, we will have enough for two tables, Dummy to move, unless Card Sharpe Craigola can join us for an even eight. Nevertheless, Pentictonites, [I'll let you arrange how you will get to our place.], and one Naramatian, to meet at 6:05 pm at 611 Burns to carpool. Theresa mentioned that her vehicle can carry five so perhaps we'll let her chauffeur, Dianna, unless your car can take all the Freeloaders! Let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Lady Dar, hard at work, supervising lazy felines!



dear pat and corrine,  sorry for not answering sooner I am just slack.  thank you for the easter greetings, it was greatly appreciated.    didn't know you had an arm operation, I hope all is good now, pat they call it old age. anyhow its good to know you are on the mend. the weather here is fine its 30 today' a prolonged summer. tomorrow its dropping to 23 so in all its getting cooler.  I forgot to mention our daughter had a baby on the 26 dec. so officially I guess I am a grandpa. so take care both of you. cheers for now Kevin and bev


Hello Perth Grandparents! Wonderful to know that you continue to enjoy a prolonged warm summer! Warm indeed! Did know you had become grandparents but congratulations again!  Fondestos from Lady Dar, to you both. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello OF hikers For the last Monday in April, the intrepid Bill T will take the group for a romp to McIntyre Bluff. Carpooling as usual – meet at 0840 at IGA Summerland or 0900 at HH Penticton. Cheers For now Tony 

No comments:

Post a Comment