Wednesday 3 April 2019

Sendero Canyon Comes for Dinner Singin' the Blues: Wednesday, April 3rd!

A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point. -Mistinguett, singer (3 Apr 1875-1956)


Hi Pat and Corrine : How do you have time to write so much? I am so impressed with your writing! I’m just getting him home from a night of celebrating with one of Ron’s oldest friend’s (56 years of friendship) 66th birthday. Roast beef dinner, mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus and Yorkshire pudding (yum) and a delicious salad -pear, bluecheese, roasted pecans, romaine lettuce (no salmonella ) lol lots of wine too! The great grandchild is sweet, just had to outdo us having our first grandchild !!!

Hi Ski, also known as, Foodstuff Fanatic!  Sounds like a fabulous dinner! You would have more time to write if you weren't such a gourmet! Can't remember, do you have a vegetable garden? Must away finish my breakfast and then stroll down to the bank to make arrangements to pay deposit on solares. Panels are to be installed in early May. Fondestos and Bestestos from the Flatlander Lunchoneer, [Lady Darjeeling left earlier this morning. I always tease her that walking it's just an excuse for a lavish lunch!], to you both. [Mention to the Great Reynoldo, aka, Ronaldo, that our competitiveness stems from having to keep up with him! Speaking of fierce paddling, Flamin' received a nasty concussion before Christmas, when one of Buster's towing truck slammed into her car from behind. She has been off work ever since and it seems that she sustained some sort of neurological damage. 
 
She was in pretty rough shape when they visited in February but her condition seems to have improved, if only slightly, since then. We will see them over Easter as we are all staying at our respective places in Osoyoos, at Spirit Ridge. Perhaps we'll take a drive there when you are in town.] Stay well. Tears, also known as, Cheers, Garlic Scape Patrizzio, soon-to-be Solar Farm Magnate, also known as Daddy Heliobucks! Hello Harbour Terrace! How is everyone? Trust things are improving, Flamin'. Ski is coming to visit in June, flying up to Penticton for the 23rd to the 25th. Perhaps you can connect when she is in Vancouver. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Will collect Black Widow release sometime this week unless kitchen lane, also known as, Kid Chelene has already done so.

A leaf of the ligularia plant
Photo: A & J
Hi, Patrick and Corinne: Thanks for your most recent message. I have been been uneasily aware for quite some time that I’ve been remiss in acknowledging recent messages and photos, not to mention extending congratulations on the birth of your adorable granddaughter Olivia. Thanks again and congratulations too!

A major contributing factor to my recent crimes of omission is that I have been distracted (and frequently, unhappily so) by my bathroom renovation. In fact, I’m in a queue at City Hall at this moment (my third visit) as part of my continuing efforts to secure a building permit. Others are here to sort out projects such as the building of multi-family residential buildings and new commercial enterprises. And all I want to do is to renovate a bathroom! Specifically, to replace the bathtub/shower with a walk-in shower, refurbish the vanity and update accessories like towel rails. But the strata council asks for a building permit and the City confirms that it’s necessary (and that not to have one could compromise my insurance). And I do want to do things “by the book” — it seems important in a multi-unit building where your neighbours could be affected.



But oh dear me! It is SO time-consuming and challenging. I don’t really mind that so much . . . But the process is so unstraightforward. Putting together the drawings, details, forms etc is just very overwhelming, especially for someone like me to whom the process is new. For example, they require “before” and “after” floor plans drawn to a 1/4” scale. The only difference between the two is that one will replace the label “bathtub” with “walk-in shower.” And that’s it. So having determined that I need such a thing and that it is not to be found in the set of original building plans filed with the city, how do I get them?I could commission a full set of architectural drawings, but that would be very expensive and seems like overkill. I WAS eventually able to sort this out by randomly learning about a company called Measure Masters who sent someone with a laser measuring tape who was able to do the job in less than an hour for a little under $200. But the angst, uncertainty and delay!!!!!


I started in the first week of the New Year by interviewing contractors and getting estimates, naively thinking that I might have the project done by Easter. Now I’m hoping that it might be finished by Canada Day. Even selecting the contractor was a challenging process, but I will not exhaust you with all those details. I do feel very happy with the company that I have now engaged (Aero Kitchen and Bath). I’m also extremely fortunate to have Andrew Martin in my corner, providing both moral and practical support. What an outstanding human being and friend!

In other news . . . Sandy and my brother-in-law, David, were here in February, during their annual winter escape from Ottawa, which always incorporates a Vancouver portion. They had also planned to spend time on Vancouver Island, checking out things like library and community services, as they are contemplating a possible future move. However, those plans were much curtailed by the unusual and protracted (by West Coast standards) snowfall. So they ended up spending more time here than planned before managing a quick jog to Victoria, from where they flew out to continue their planned travels in Arizona and New Mexico. Even in the Southwest, there was unseasonal weather — among other things, they sent a very unusual image of the desert and cacti covered with snow. They also mentioned seeing cars having gone off the road, the drivers in that part of the world having little or no experience of driving in snow. This wasn’t a problem for Sandy and David!
 

The Vancouver snow also coincided with a 15-day course of radiation treatment for our family friend, Sylvia, due to a peculiar large growth on one side of her face that seems to have eluded precise diagnosis (as far as I understand). Sylvia’s immediate family is quite far-flung, so Mum and I have tried to step in to help since the problem first manifested itself back in the summer. And I have been endeavouring to take over more as I believe it’s bit too much for Mum who, at 88, is considerable older than Sylvia (80). Daily trips to the hospital for radiation would be difficult enough even without the snow to contend with. Sylvia was able to manage some of it by herself (on transit) and to make use of a volunteer drivers provided by the Freemasons, so Mum and I didn’t go everyday. But it was still a bit of a relief when it was over.


The pilot, James (otherwise known as POUS = Person of Uncertain Status) has been out to visit five times since the beginning of the year, and there is no news there really. It’s just always nice when he’s around . . . He’s a kind, patient, steadying presence and good companion. I’m anticipating that I won’t see him again for awhile, though, as I am going to be away for about 10 days immediately after Easter and then (hopefully) starting the actual work on my bathroom reno. And he’s got a new flying job, with Keewatin Air, which he’s happy about, and for which training begins on April 15th.


My post-Easter trip will be a bit of whirlwind trip to eastern Canada with a Polish friend of mine, Zeb, who I first met in the hot tub at UBC in 1997. He is on a Fulbright in Alabama this year, and will be coming to visit over Easter. Then, on Easter Monday, we’ll travel to Niagara Falls and spend two nights there, followed by two nights each in Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa (I’ll actually stay on a bit longer, to have more time with Sandy and visit with some Ottawa friends). Although Zeb has spent quite a bit of time in Vancouver, he hasn’t been to Eastern Canada, so this trip is really for his benefit, although I’m sure I’ll enjoy it too.
 

Well, I think that pretty much brings you up to date now . . . . Let me know if/when you next expect to be in Vancouver . . . It’s always nice to see you, even if it’s only a brief visit. (My number is next in the Building Permit queue but who knows how long that might take! All the best and many hedgehugs,
Janet
 

Hi Grumpy Renovator!

Trust all goes well with you in spite of your bureaucratic difficulties! What a litany of woe! Do you have your permit yet? While I fully sympathize with your renovation difficulties, you should feel grateful that you are able to afford to undertake such changes. You of all people, with your countless trips, very comfortable lifestyle, should be more than appreciative of your privilege. For my part, I'm keenly aware just how fortunate I am, for so many, many reasons. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hello Harbour Terrace! How is everyone? Trust things are improving, Flamin'. Ski is coming to visit in June, flying up to Penticton for the 23rd to the 25th. Perhaps you can connect when she is in Vancouver. Fondestos and Bestestos from Lady Darjeeling and Cheers,Patrizzio! PS: Will collect Black Widow release sometime this week unless Kitchen Lane, also known as, Kid Chelene has already done so.
 
The Lost Fingers at The Dream Cafe!
 
Hi Patrizzio I will send the invitation out to you again for the April 14th Tasting Event. there is no restriction to the ticket purchase. We have a total of 75 tickets being sold. Re tomorrow night, I can fit three in the back seat if you don't mind cuddling. Dame Judith Thanks Patrick. See you tomorrow at 6:30 Dame Judith Hi again, Dame Judith! Glad you enjoyed the snapolas. Thanks for sending the invitation again. We don't mind cuddling. Did Lady Dianna contact you? She mentioned she was going to walk over to your place. Thanks so much. Cheers, Patrizzio! No, she didn't get in touch with me. I will be heading out in about 45 to attend the Concert at Ok FALLS United Church. Taffy will be at your place tomorrow night at 6:30 so I will see you then. Judi

[On way to dinner & dance at Fairmont, Mar is Carly ‘s guest Mum]
 
Lady Di! You need to contact Dame Judith about catching a ride tomorrow. [Did Lady Dianna contact you? She mentioned she was going to walk over to your place. No, she didn't get in touch with me.] Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patrick. I phoned Judi tonight and left a message. Thanks. Dianne Hi Diane.  I can fit 3 in my backseat so I told Patrick if people don't mind cuddling it would be ok with me. I wasn't sure who it was Patrick was asking me about Judi                                                          Hi Andrea! Lovely to meet you and thanks for all your help with financial end of car purchase. Here is the information on the whisky tasting event in case you feel inclined to attend. If you do go make sure you introduce yourself to both Judy and Kevin Ritcey and mention you might be interested in putting your name on SOWTS waiting list, again, only if this is of interest. All the best from Lady Darjeeling, aka Corinne. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Patriccio, thanks for being such a gracious host! And thank you on behalf of all humans for the service you’re doing for the planet we wouldn’t be here without all those mountains of waste you keep out of the landfills each year. And, thank you so much for introducing us to your beloved Toshi! She was a treat to meet and spend time with, as brief as it seemed. Can’t wait to send Edda and Duke back into hiding when we show up on your doorstep for our next ski trip!!!                        Hi Dustino! Lovely to hear from you and know you appreciate my recycling efforts, un-like your dad, The Mighty Grigor, who seems to have Recyclephobia! Will you please inform Cody that I used the last of his salsa yesterday with some slightly mouldy vegetables I managed to save from the neighbour's compost bin. I only had to scrape an inch of mould off salsa but I was able to mix it with Lady Darjeeling's breakfast yogurt and she thought it was mixed fruit so everyone was happy!
I do hope you will all return sooner than next winter as I need you to buy groceries again and forget them. We cannot afford to eat since we purchased a brand new Hyundai eKona this past Monday and are having solar panels installed at the beginning of May. I would certainly appreciate it if you and Cody could start a crowd funding campaign, otherwise we will be forced to sell both Edda, also known as, Etta, and Duke. Must away as Lady Darjeeling is barbecuing steaks. [Delicious wilted spinach and fried mushrooms as sides.] Chloë is over for dinner and we have to charge her for each mouthful, given our strained financial circumstances. Fund Esto's, [Lost in automatic dictation!], Fondestos and Bestestos from The Sisterhood. 

Cheers, Uncle Patrizzio, the One Armed Bandito of the Burns Street Garlic Farm, soon to be the Solar Panel Magnate of Penticton, with enough surplus energy to operate an industrial can compacting machine, so no need to go to the recycling depot! I know this will make your Dad happy but Agnes burst into tears when I informed her of the purchase, gnashing her two teeth together! Pics: Edda guarding garlic shoots! New eKona! Nice wheels. I tell everyone that my parents are the greenest hippies around!! Yes, indeed! We are currently negotiating to have the Blue-Drive logo changed for a Green Garlic Shoot! Fondestos from Lady Darjeeling, sipping her herbal tea and Dad, The Hippest Hippster on the block! What car did you get rid of? Pam Hi Spumoni! The VW Bug went to auto heaven as part of the Junk-it, provincial buy-back program to take gas-guzzlers off the road, and the MarriageMobile went to wedding heaven as our trade-in! Cheers, Electric Horsepower Patrizzio!


Hi Patrick, I assume you mean you plan to have dinner at the Dream Cafe. As regards visiting your home for appetizers and drinks beforehand that sounds great. We were thinking that a good night to stay over with you would be that concert night, as I'm sure we will be consuming alcohol at the restaurant that evening.

The place we are staying is very near Painted Rock Winery. The owner does not want us entertaining there so we were thinking of having you over to Deep Roots for a meal.Let us know how this generally works for you; we'll lock down the details close to the visit. best regards, Bill & Denise. Hi Painted Rock People!
Yes, indeed, drinks and appetizers at Burns Street then a jaunt along Penticton Creek to the Dream Café for dinner with Michael. Good idea to stay overnight. As you mentioned we can work out details once you are at your non-entertaining clause accommodation! Be great to be back at Deep Roots, this time with Lady Darjeeling! 

On another matter, listening to the news, [CBC Radio One, out of Vancouver], I was shocked to learn of of the recent increase in gas prices, [$1.649], as a result of the carbon tax, I understand. Then it dawned on me that we now own an electric vehicle! Of course it isn't paid for yet but each trip past a gas station helps. Of course, biker that you are, you are smiling as well.

Book club this evening, [Tara Westover's Educated], at the home of friends, Pamela and Bill Webster, just above Marichel Winery, below Naramata Road Fondestos from Lady Darjeeling to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio, proud owner of an eKona which he is unable to drive for the next month!





No comments:

Post a Comment