Tuesday 16 April 2019

London/Chabeuil Sing the Burns Street Blues: Tuesday, April 16th!

Did you know that the worldwide food shortage that threatens up to five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of only one day, only ONE day, of modern warfare. -Peter Ustinov, actor, writer, and director (16 Apr 1921-2004) 



Hi Pat Nice to have your report and good wishes. Today is E-day in AB. Interesting that this province has its own version of NDP--despised by the national NDP leader and the NDP premier next door. But I still went to work and spent hours on the phone for Rachel. I will be back at the office most of today phoning friendlies to confirm that they actually went and voted. I am braced for a disappointing outcome both locally and provincially. I would be glad to be wrong tho.

I also caught the sparse news about shootings in Penticton. What a world where more and more people seem to think that grabbing a gun is the best available solution to whatever they are pissed off about today. Penticton is a pretty small town and nobody lives very far from downtown. Anyway I am glad to assume you are good.

Loved the pics you sent. Thers is something magical about baby pics. Having a baby in the pic makes us all feel younger. I still plan to stop in Penticton May 6-7. Maybe on the way home to. Holding off making return journey plans until I hear from my cousin who is supposed to be back in Vancouver after wintering in Spain. Love to all Jim
 

Caro mio amico thanks for long e-mail and the lovely pics, you sure are having fun and enjoying life. That is so wonderful Patrizio, I try my best, to do the same in a different way. besides, the opera and Symphony, long walks, seeing a few friends, and baby-sitting, the big and the small one, is my life on an even keel. I do love to read, just finished a lovely one -THE SALT ROAD,by Jane Johnson. and the other one was THE DAUGHTERS OF FORTUNE, by Isabell Allende. I enjoyed them both. And I can be lazy as well, just sitting and enjoy my view, and day-dream. Take care my friend always love Gisela

Hi Patrick.  Sorry about yesterday....steri strips, ice and codeine and I'm good to go again.  See you next Monday.  Dianne I will be unavailable to play until I return from Ireland. Dame Judith 

Hello again, Long Lost Bridgers, et al! Lady Darjeeling, in her own inimitable way, reminded me that we are away, for the Easter weekend, and will not be back in Penticton until Tuesday, April 23rd, St George's Day, in fact. This being the case, if Lady Dar and I are to play it would have to be either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evening. If the majority prefer Easter Monday, that is fine with us. Otherwise, let me know your preferences and I'll be in touch regarding day people would like and we'll proceed accordingly. Pleased to know that Lady Dianna is well on the mend and Bon Voyage to Dame Judith, off to Ireland, to drink Guinness for a number of sublime weeks, shortly. All the best to both. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Patrick and Corinne. Happy Easter....have fun wherever you are. Any day next week works for me. Dianne Here's wishing the Bridge gang a very Happy Easter and I also will be gone to return by Tuesday. As for Bridge Thursday would be best for me. Dianne, I've been thinking of you and wishin' you a speedy recovery. Hope to see you soon. Everyone have yourselves a wonderful Easter weekend!!! Hugs to all, Olly All the best for the whole group of awesome bridge players. Although not so regular, but I value a wonderful companion of you all, and I will try, again, to join you next week, preferably Tuesday or Thursday (next choice). Meanwhile all the best, and happy Easter. Cheers
Mike
I am okay for Tuesday April 23 Susan
 
Dear Patrick: What a day yesterday. The devastating fire at Notre Dame. I'm not French but I cried about it and I can't imagine how Parisians must be feeling. I was reminded of Shelley's poem, Ozymandias and its theme of the frailty of human endeavour (one of a mere handful of favourite poems that I have by heart). At least it seems that the destruction is not as complete as the initial reports indicated.

And then I heard the news about the terrible shootings in Penticton. Of course, my thoughts went to you, Corinne and Chloe immediately. I hope you are all safe, though I can't imagine that you would not be affected just by the fact of such a dreadful thing happening in your peaceful community.

Well, it does put things like minor irritations into perspective. No apology was required . . . and I cannot dispute your suggestion that I need "more of a rhinoceros skin." I do have self-awareness about my tendency towards over-sensitivity. The difficulty is in moving beyond self-awareness to some kind of useful transformation. I am just not sure how to do that! I know that unrestrained anxiety rather useless . . . but that understanding does not make it go away. Alas -- I should be wiser now that I am *60*!

Anyhow, sorry to end abruptly but this is just a short note as I am off now to begin the annual Easter-cookie decorating. However, I wanted to check in with you following yesterday's news. Love always, Janet  P.S. I'm not sure how to access The Great Fire. It was on PBS recently and is available through the iTunes Store. But I don't think it is on Netflix or Crave. It's out on DVD too, although I saw that VPL hasn't picked it up yet . Maybe your local library will acquire it . . . . We also just watched Mrs. Wilson on Masterpiece Theatre -- much of it set in that post-WWII period that you like. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it already. It's not long -- just 3 episodes.

Hi Janet! Yes, indeed, what a day! The destruction of Notre Dame is more than devastating for the entire world. I can certainly imagine the fire bringing you to tears. With respect to the terrible shooting, ChloĆ« heard the news first and phoned to tell me to lock our doors as a huge section of the town, (including where we live), was on lock-down! Fortunately, for us at least, completely innocent victims were known to shooter and targeted for some unimaginable, twisted, horribly irrational reason. At any rate, in my opinion, these sorts of heinous crimes can occur anywhere, anytime so one must simply soldier on. crossing one's fingers and hoping for the best. 

On a more optimistic note, we have seen Mrs Wilson and thoroughly enjoyed it for all the reasons you mentioned. Will pursue The Great Fire but at the moment I'm watching last season of Rectify, staring Aiden Young, a wonderful Australian actor, whose sister, Rachel, is a close friend of Chloe's, and she was here for Fest of Ale this past weekend. While here, Rachel mentioned that Aiden is also in another series, The Principal, so I'm watching it now, when cycling aboard your Alu. Rosemary and Andre just arrived for the next two nights. [They are staying with us at Spirit Ride over the Easter weekend, after going to friends who live in Kelowna, in between. They have just purchased an apartment, in Kerrisdale, but a few blocks from you!] ] Must away as another bottle of wine needs opening. Fondestos from the assembled Burns Street Freeloaders. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Rosemary, Andre and Flamin'! Lady Darjeeling cookin' up a storm!


Caro mio amico thanks for long e-mail and the lovely pics, you sure are having fun and enjoying life. That is so wonderful Patrizio, I try my best, to do the same in a different way. besides, the opera and Symphony, long walks, seeing a few friends, and baby-sitting, the big and the small one, is my life on an even keel. I do love to read, just finished a lovely one -THE SALT ROAD,by Jane Johnson. and the other one was THE DAUGHTERS OF FORTUNE, by Isabell Allende. I enjoyed them both. And I can be lazy as well, just sitting and enjoy my view, and day-dream. Take care my friend always love Gisela

Hi Gisela! Interesting that you should mention Isabel Allende as I read her Ripper, an ornate ­serial-killer tale before Christmas and enjoyed it thoroughly. Am now on Esi Edugyan's Washington Black which I'm very much liking so far, just first few chapters in.

I'm sure you were more than upset about the destruction of Notre Dame. Much, much closer to home, Penticton is still reeling from the terrible shooting, four people murdered, as you know. ChloĆ« heard the news first and phoned to tell me to make sure our doors were secured as a huge section of the town, (including where we live), was on lock-down! For my part I was completely unaware of the shooting spree. As it happened, Rebecca, a close friend who is an RCMP member, along with her husband, was the officer who dealt with the shooter when he turned himself into the detachment. 

Rosemary and Andre, friends with homes in both London and France, near Lyon, arrived yesterday afternoon for the two nights. They have just purchased an apartment, in Kerrisdale, near 43rd and Balsam, I believe. Andre is originally from Vancouver and they are planning to sell the place in France now that they have an apartment in Vancouver.

Had a lovely meal last night, along with Michele, [Rebecca is her daughter-in-law], and she has been up since last Thursday, helping out with her two granddaughters. Must away to put the supper dishes in the dishwasher. Fondestos and Cheers, Gisela! Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Please assure you me you were not visiting a friend who lives in a duplex in downtown Penticton yesterday. Who says the big city is where the action is at???? Hope you are both well. We will be up at the cabin for Easter...have a wonderful weekend and hope to see you soon ( here rather than there )we are unsure if we want to venture into your neck of the woods anytime soon Haha
Lotsa love Marilyn Hi Happy Valley People! Trust you are well. Thanks for your concern. Fondestos from Lady Darjeeling to you, Marilyn, and Big Molly! Stay well. Happy Easter! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Pat Nice to have your report and good wishes. Today is E-day in AB. Interesting that this province has its own version of NDP--despised by the national NDP leader and the NDP premier next door. But I still went to work and spent hours on the phone for Rachel. I will be back at the office most of today phoning friendlies to confirm that they actually went and voted. I am braced for a disappointing outcome both locally and provincially. I would be glad to be wrong tho.

I also caught the sparse news about shootings in Penticton. What a world where more and more people seem to think that grabbing a gun is the best available solution to whatever they are pissed off about today. Penticton is a pretty small town and nobody lives very far from downtown. Anyway I am glad to assume you are good.

Loved the pics you sent. There is something magical about baby pics. Having a baby in the pic makes us all feel younger. I still plan to stop in Penticton, May 6th-7th. Maybe on the way home to. Holding off making return journey plans until I hear from my cousin who is supposed to be back in Vancouver after wintering in Spain. Love to all Jim

Hi Zircon! Unfortunately, you were right! On the bright side, I don't think Jason is going to find that all his election promises are going to be easy or even possible to fulfill, especially with a solid NDP opposition to battle. Looking forward to your visit and do hope you will be able to stop on return leg as well. Fondestos and Cheers, Zircon! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

No comments:

Post a Comment