Wednesday 6 November 2019

New Shouldare and The Judy Blue Blues: Wednesday, November 6th!

I don't think that combat has ever been written about truthfully; it has always been described in terms of bravery and cowardice. I won't even accept these words as terms of human reference any more. And anyway, hell, they don't even apply to what, in actual fact, modern warfare has become. -James Jones, novelist (6 Nov 1921-1977) 


This morning I cut up one of our two Halloween pumpkins and roasted them, to make it easier to remove flesh. Had a bit of excitement when the pumpkin had been in the oven for about twenty minutes as I heard a warning sound and a sign on display flashed Fire! Fire! Fire! Immediately turned off oven and put on fan to dispel any smoke. When I opened the door, slowly, to inspect inside there was only steam, not smoke. I had put about half an inch of water in bottom of each of four large glass roasting dishes so pumpkin wouldn't stick and I guess the steam set off a sensor. 
 
At least I'm hoping this was the root cause. I also took the added precaution of turning off the oven breaker, even before I talked to an appliance repairman, (He suggested this step when I talked to store about a service call.), in case there was something more fundamentally wrong. He suggested we let appliance dry out for a couple of days and then turn breaker back on and see how oven responds. If alarm does not go on again we'll cancel service call. Friday is soonest anyone can come anyway. Quite exciting, to say the least! Nevertheless, pumpkin was well enough cooked so I was able to remove flesh with little effort. Will make soup out of some of the pieces, rest we'll use for cat food. 
 
Their main diet is dry, "dental crunchies" but we also give them small portions of wet food or pumpkin, alternating wet menu each day. Duke had a tummy upset when a kitten and vet suggested pumpkin. Ailment cleared up and we've been feeding it to them ever since, using unsweetened, canned pumpkin. Thought I'd try to make our own since we have the gourds and would rather make use of them this way rather than simply putting them in compost which we've done over last couple of years.

Supper was delicious And it was great to have a quiet visit with you and chloe
Enjoy this sunshine And see you Sunday Corinne Love Judy Happy we are friends Xo Hi Judy Blue! Yes, a lovely evening with just the four of us. Tomorrow I'll be readying my fifth batch of Galas for the dehydrator! Apples, apples everywhere not a ray of sunshine for me! Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Dinner
It was great seeing you too! Thanks for coming! Hugs
Corinne


Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does. -Jean-Paul Sartre, writer and philosopher (21 Jun 1905-1980)

When I can look Life in the eyes, / Grown calm and very coldly wise, / Life will have given me the Truth, / And taken in exchange -- my youth. -Sara Teasdale, poet (8 Aug 1884-1933)

It’s like, at the end, there’s this surprise quiz: Am I proud of me? I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth what I paid? -Richard Bach, writer (b. 23 Jun 1936)

Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together. -Eugene Ionesco, playwright (26 Nov 1909-1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment