Monday 11 November 2019

The Transit of Mercury and The Last Post Blues: Monday, November 11th!

Pack up your troubles in your old kit-bag and smile, smile, smile, / While you've a lucifer to light your fag, smile, boys, that's the style." Composed, 1915. George Henry Powell, 1880-1951




 Words are the only things that last forever; they are more durable than the eternal hills. -William Hazlitt, essayist (1778-1830)



Patrick James Dunn At Remembrance Day service in Penticton. The man next to the Mountie, on viewer's right, is a friend from University of Winnipeg, (United College when I knew him), whose son was killed in Afghanistan. He represented Bereaved Parents.
 
Dearest Anna Maria Tremonte and Rudolpho! Trust you are both well. Glad you enjoyed the card. Must really apologize for not really being in touch ever since our wonderful, wonderful visit. I had planned to send along the album below but we have been pretty busy ever since we returned from Paris on October 13th. No excuses but plenty of reasons.
 

Must away as we are off to attend the Remembrance Day Celebration held downtown this morning. Again, many, many thanks for your unstinting hospitality over the course of our stay in Bern, both at the restaurant and with you in Murten and at your warm home. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Stay well. Cheers and Arrivederci, Patrizzio! Pics: At the Dream on Friday: book is by one of our favourite authors and was a gift to celebrate her last day of work before starting maternity leave. Joint with Lady Dar; Alex Cuba

Hello My Darling Penelope! Trust you and Mad Cap are both well. Just back from a very moving Remembrance Day Celebration. One of my hiking friends, Jake Snyder, [We were at university together in Winnipeg.], laid a wreath, on behalf of Bereaved Parents, [His youngest son, Jonathon, was killed in Afghanistan.], during ceremony. Victoria, his second wife, happened to sit with us. She is Mexican, [She just received her Canadian Citizenship a year ago.], and they will leave for Melaque, on December 3rd, for three months. Her own sons and daughters live in Manzanillo and Guadalajara so it is relatively easy to visit family during this time. Coincidentally, Jake sent along the placards below. Not sure if you have seen them.

As well, just had a newsy note from Jamie, [Finally, as I was a tad worried about them, as I think I mentioned when in Gay Paree.], and both he and Pat are well. I gather her arthritis is an on-going issue but otherwise she seems to be fine, given her age, etc. He did a fair bit of travelling, with both the Bach Choir and some local church choirs, in Europe and the UK over the summer. He will visit us next March when BC is on tour in the US. Anyway just wanted to say hello. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Ha ha lived the placards! I hear from a Heather that you’ll have your own Wexit in Alberta! Xx
 
Hello Hikers! Seems as if I needn't hike to run into the Folk of The Mountains! Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: At The Dream this past Friday; then on Saturday; today at Remembrance Day Celebration. I will be there tonight to play. Jos

Hello again, Jake, Dick and Vittoria! Just wanted to send along these snaps. Bon Voyage to those soon bound for Mexico soon. Travel safely to Melaque and to Ottawa, everyone. Cheers, Patrizzio! Thank you Patrick for two sets of photos.
Jake

37 weeks ❤️
Heather MacIver Aucoin Meikle Did she have her baby yet? Patrick James Dunn No, if all goes as medically expected, she will be induced on November 23rd! She posted this snap earlier today, [37 weeks ❤️ I'm ready to be an Auntie!!], taken during a walk on the KVR, one of her favourite outings, with close friend Katie and her daughter Emma, [Chloë is her godmother], who read a very, very moving poem, she had written, to Chloë, at the baby shower the day before. Apparently not a dry eye in the house by the time Emma was finished!

Penticton 1960!
Hi Big Al! Thanks for the wonderful snap of Penticton. Great to see what the waterfront looked like back then, compared to how it has changed. Especially enjoyed seeing it as this is almost the starting point for most of my rides, my route regulare. Coincidentally, Chloë took a similar snap, not far from the vantage point in historical photo, today!
  
Photo: Vadim Pacev
Hello Grand Slammers! Congratulations to Josinta for making two Grand Slams tonight. Unfortuantely, not bid. Nevertheless, fine playing! As a direct result she was the winner of two fabulous prizes, a priceless pottery jug and a bag of Patrizzio's prized dried Galas. Lady Di won latter for low score so well done.
So far, no offer of who might host next week's game. Let me know if anyone is interested and who will play and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Monday's bidders!

Sorry, I can't make it this coming Monday Enjoying the delicious dried apples, and looking forward to my next grand slam and new door prizes. Thank you Corinne and Patrick for hosting. JosHi Patrick. Sent this to Jos by mistake. Thanks. Dianne Thanks Patrick. Enjoying the dried apples. If you can't be first, sometimes it pays to be last.. I can play next Monday. Sorry I can't host yet ad we are starting some new small renos. Dianne Patrick: I can play, let me know where Theresa Hi Theresa! Lovely that you will be able to join us next week. As soon as venue has been determined, I'll send out notice of address. Cheers, Patrizzio! I will play. Susan

An Australian soldier in Ypres, Belgium, during WWI (detail)
Photo: Official War Photographer, British Govt.
Hi Patrick I am willing to host on Monday nov 18th Pls let me know who is coming so I will know how many tables to set up Enjoy this a beautiful weather we are having Cheers, Judy Hi Judy Blue, et al! Thank you, Judy, The Mostest Hostess, so much for opening your home, [101 – 168 Regina St.], this coming Monday. To date, by my count, we have six players. Michaelo indicated, after last Monday's game, that he was planning to play but he has not confirmed, as of this writing. If he is joining us, [and I suspect he will be], we will have enough for two tables, with Dummy to move. If Olga Polga can play it will be a full eight.


Should I bring "your" bridge table? Let me know and I'll let you know, when I've heard from any not yet confirmed, to provide numbers. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patric, Judy, Yes, I am going to play with you guys on Monday.
Count me in. Thank you. Cheers. Mike
Hi Judy Blue: As you will have read, we'll have 7 with Michaelo. Bravo Summerland! Still no word from Olga Polga. Did you want us to bring table? Let me know when you have a moment. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

We haven't yet learned how to stay human when assembled in masses. -Lewis Thomas, physician and author (25 Nov 1913-1993)
 






No comments:

Post a Comment