Saturday 28 March 2020

Blow the Winds Southerly, Southerly Blues: Saturday, March 28th!

Nothing contributes so much to tranquilizing the mind as a steady purpose - a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye. -Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, author (1797-1851)


Thanks again for your entertaining stories Particularly like photo of chicken
Trump znd chicken I too am taking this home time to clean and sort znd discard
Ben and izzy continue to entertain Walking daily and going to introduce yoga into the mix today Talk with my family daily and at happy hour call friends to chit chat Stay healthy Sending love to all of you Judy



Hello Fellow Spring Cleaner! Glad you find my "silliness" amusing. Pleased to hear that you are wielding the mop and dust cloth as well! Yesterday, Lady Dar mentioned that Vanessa is not coming now. Sorry to hear as I know you were looking forward to her visit/stay. Understand, however, given such difficult circumstances. Perhaps I'll see you later today as I'm planning another ride. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Love the photos The first looks like rowan is enjoying the art of strip tease!!!
I am also emptying my freezer of long forgotten treasures Planning to walk the channel today and adding yoga into the realm(at home)
Love from regina street
Hi Cat Woman of Regina Avenue! Pleased to hear you are still your indomitable walking/yoga self! Happy freezer diving! Fondestos from Lady Dar, The Whip Wielder of The Burns Street Bistro, to you, Judy Blue! Cheers, Patrizzio!

 
As I said I can't have x ray till quarantine ends and then to wait for appointment with Bell so looks like I'll be hopping still for quite a while!! Had phone doctor apt yesterday to refer me to Bell for my femur even though I was seeing him april 22 for my hip assessment. Can't see him re my femur at the same time!! She also said they haven't got equipment to read the CD's I brought back from my surgery and post op assessment in US. Moreover she can't send the x rays to my ortho surgeon in Tuscon although she did say that if I wanted to that was my decision. Such is the Canadian health system!! Actually so I have a bionic leg now!!

Anyway all else is good. Went solitary walking/hopping on Campbell with Phil yesterday for over an hour. Aaron and Gwen in Lander Wyoming both not working or doing a bit from home. Kelsey just finished her 14 day quarantine as she was sitting behind someone at work who tested positive. She and Andre seem good and they're visiting us for Easter. Anyway take care and keep healthy yourself Gill and Phil 

I often use the weekend to go for a longer ride so it fell to today, as rain was forecast for Sunday, for my regular extended outing. However, I knew I wouldn't be heading towards Summerland as forecast informed me that the wind was out of the south, blowing quite strongly at 24 km/h, gusting to 36 km/h, increasing to 30 km/h, gusting to 40 km/h as the day progressed. Temperature was to be between 12º C and 13º C so, in spite of the wind, I assumed it would actually be quite warm. This being the case I decided I would make for OK Falls, battling Aeolus all the way along Skaha, so that I would have his help propelling me home.

By the time I'd prepared a hearty brunch of overlefts and communicated with far-flung friends and family, from Stockholm to Winnipeg, from Sydney, NS, to Regina Ave, Penticton, from London, UK, to Summerland, just up the road, it was a 12:07 pm when I left The Burns Street Bistro. As soon as I was on Government, I had to gear down, realizing that the wind was not going to be an easy opponent. Just beyond Industrial there are a number of large, empty lots, to the west, and from them the forceful gusts whipped clouds of dust off their unpaved surfaces. Was glad I was wearing clear riding glasses as the flying grit peppered me as I rode towards Dawson.

Once on Dauphin I decided I'd ride the regular route to Skaha and back so that I'd have logged almost 25 km before actually taking Eastside, off the marian parking lot. This way, if I took McClean Creek to drop into OK Falls and then along Oliver Ranch to Stag's Hollow, looping back along Eastside I'd have enough distance for the day's goal, 71 km. However, once on the flats, beginning at Wilson, I had second thoughts about this ambitious plan, so strong were the gusts that I had to gear down considerably to make other than a snail's pace. Fortunately, each of the west to east/east to west stretches along Yorkton, Lee and Elm, and, indeed, the promenade itself, were really quite manageable, especially when heading west, due to prevailing wind direction. Any of the jogs, to the south, on Cypress and Parkview, were more than brutal.

In spite of this, I persevered and when I made the first loop of the marina parking lot I was amused to see about thirty or forty Mallards bobbing in the not quite whitecaps of the tiny bay there while two brave sail-boarders and three kite-boarders zipped back and forth across Skaha, well away from the beach, their bright sails the only real colour in the otherwise rather drab day.

Return to Dauphin was a piece of cake, compared to the earlier descent, and as I turned the corner on Eraut to Dauphin there were three deer and two Mallards, a hen and a drake, sitting on the front lawn of the small bungalow there, quite contentedly, with each other, hardly bothered by me as I rode past, almost within touching distance. What a lovely treat to see such repose on such a blustery day and in the midst of this disquieting time. At any rate, by now I had all but abandoned my plan to make for OK Falls, becoming faint of heart thinking of the sustained effort that would be required to ride along the completely exposed shores of Skaha and beyond.

This being the case I hunkered down, grit my teeth and made the best of the next three complete loops, slowly adding distance to the ticking odometer, introducing, on the second lap, a few extra dipsy-doodles into the various parking lots which surround Princess Margaret High-school, off Green. At the top of the fourth loop I had logged just over 56 km so I decided not to ride the complete loop to the promenade but would rather use the straightaways of Yorkton and Lee to clock the distance needed before heading fro home. Furthermore, I had also determined that I was going to up my initial goal of 71 km to 81 km, given the change in route which minimized having to ride into the strongest head winds. As well, my legs, which felt quite sluggish and stiff at the start of the ride, had loosened nicely and showed not the least sign of any dreaded cramping, something that often comes, to me at least, towards the end of an extended ride, early on in the season.

That being said, found ride up Dawson, with a short dipsy-doodle onto Braelyn, to take advantage of the slightly slighter grade, quite taxing, so it was with great relief when I finally made it to Government. Everything after that seemed Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, with wind at my back and my head held high, making all the lights, until I swooped down our back lane into the driveway to stop the clock at around 4:45 pm! Bravo Patrizzio if I don't say so myself! Hip Hip Hooray for this "extended" ride, even if AVG was pretty mediocre but I can, without any rationalization whatsoever, put the blame squarely on the enormous shouldares of Aeolus for that, Dear Reader! Cheers, Weasel Patrizzio!

Garmin Map and Stats for ride:

AllTrails Map and Stats for ride:

No comments:

Post a Comment