Sunday 1 March 2020

Kid Chelene and the Rona Vanity of Vanity Blues: Sunday, March 1st!


This grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere: the dew is never all dried at once: a shower is forever falling, vapor is ever rising. Eternal sunrise, eternal sunset, eternal dawn and gloaming, on sea and continents and islands, each in its turn, as the round earth rolls. -John Muir, naturalist, explorer, and writer (1838-1914) 








Hi Chloe, Corinne and Pat, Hello from sunny Vancouver. Great to hear from you Chloe. Thanks for your lovely photos of you and Rowan. He is a beautiful little boy. How are you all doing? It must be gorgeous in California now. How is your great niece? Is Rowan playing handball yet, asks George.

Please note the latest offering from the Budino Brothers: R. J. Reserva, Porch Climber. We are hoping you will be to join Zev and R.J. for an inaugural tasting at B. B. headquarters North Galiano, very soon. Enjoy your time together! Love FIIZ and Nana xxoo





Hello Marketing Department, Budino Brothers, Tar & Gravel Inc! I'd like to reserve a case of your latest release. I understand it, it comes with a gallon of your organic bike chain cleaner and a coupon for rehab at the Betty Ford Center! I'm selling 50/50 tickets on Tuesday, March 10th, so I'd like delivery before then so that I can get well and truly goofed up! Stay well. Fondestos to the crew on the bottling line! Cheers, Il Conduttore/Patrizzio! Latest from Tinsel Town! Are Zev and RJ related?

I think I am too slow...not sure where the time went but after painting the ceilings trim, going to a baby shower, then cutting in around the walls (twice), rolling the walls and painting the closet...and then started the next closet, I ran out of paint, cleaned up. 6:30am to 1:30am!!!! So now I need to buy more paint and finish painting the linen closet๐Ÿ™ˆ Have to put things away and focus on moving things now!

Sounds like a fabulous evening last night. I enjoyed reading about it. Felt like I was sitting in the audience with you. Rent income will certainly help Chloe. I know you have always had properties in Vancouver and understand the benefits very well. Enjoy the blue sky today. It is lovely in Kamloops ๐Ÿ˜Š Take care, Ariane ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿƒ 


Hi Patt! Terrific to see you at The Dream on Friday night! Looking forward to the Ceres Mango Milkshake IPA! Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patt - Please see attached photo and the note for you below. Patrizzio - just so you have Patt's direct email address for the future, it is Looks like a great time at the Dream! Take care, Kim

Had made arrangements with Kid Chelene to use his truck to pick up the bathroom vanity The Sisterhood had chosen and paid for, at Rona, around 3:00 pm this afternoon so I knew if I wanted to go for a decent ride I'd need to leave the house earlier than I had been doing lately. This being the case I was ready to roll just after 11:00 am. As I often like to do, of a Sunday, [traffic usually being very light at this time of year], I decided to make for Trout Creek. Choice was easy as wind was out of the N/NNW at 6 km/h, [so I hoped to have a tail-wind on return leg!], and the long runs along 97 would make it easier to try to break the 20 km/h AVG which so far had eluded me. Simply glorious day, Mount Okanagan a royal gem, its crown of snow dazzling indeed! Even the temperature was poifect, rising from 5ยบ C to 9ยบ C over the course of the ride.  

Since I was only going as far as Trout Creek I knew I would need to have a bit of distance under my belt before I hit Highway 97 so dipsy-doodled my way around a number of loops off Power so that when I left Red Wing East I'd clocked 17 km. As I cycled towards Summerland I realized that my AVG was over 20 km/h and I was pretty pleased as I was battling a head-wind! Often a bit hard to tell as the cliffs offer varying degrees of protection and the wind can come at one from angles inconsistent with prevailing direction of Aeolus' mighty gusts. Anyway, I was able to keep myself honest by checking the elapsed time and distance. Certainly not rocket science. Basically, I knew that if I had ridden 20 km in an hour, or under, I was on target for the AVG I yearned to achieve.

In order to maintain this pace I knew I should not make any dipsy-doodles off the straight runs, something I usually do to add distance to the ride but at a loss in speed, of course. Most noticeably, I sped past SunOka and when in Trout Creek itself avoided any cul de sacs in favour of the through streets. At the RV Park next to the entrance to the dedicated bike/pedestrian path, [Closed for the season!], I started the first of three loops on Thornber, Oak, Randall and Landry before retracing my way back to Wharf Street. Then another repeat of same route so that by the time I was finished the last loop of Thornber, etc., I had chalked up almost 52 km. 

Then back to Wharf and once there it was time to cross 97. Did so on Tait Street and when I rode onto Fir Avenue I noticed a couple I had encountered, earlier, in Trout Creek. Although I bade then good day, at the time, I didn't recognize them. This time, when I passed them I saw that it was Carol and Greg! Carol said she didn't recognize me as I was wearing pants! Told her I didn't recognize her as her face was covered with a scarf! Anyway, waved goodbye as I knew I couldn't afford to stop if I wanted to maintain my longed for AVG! Especially since I was now aware that I would be bucking a reasonably brisk headwind, out of the S at between 17 km/h to 19 km/h. While I didn't actually know the exact wind speed I knew something was up on my first return to Wharf as I seemed to be fighting a head wind but, naively put it down to local conditions. I've now come to understand that forecast provided by AccuWeather often differs, sometimes quite markedly, from one listed by Penticton Airport, particularly in terms of wind strength and direction. 

Anyway, nothing to do but grit my teeth and do the best I could when back on 97. The fact that I had managed to build up a bit of a "cushion", [I estimated that my AVG, at this point was around 22 km/h.], beforehand, I pedaled as hard as was reasonable, standing up in my seat, for extra push whenever I was riding directly into the headwind and by the time I reached Red Wing West, for a couple of loops there, I was reasonably confident that I had not lost enough speed to drop my AVG below 20 km/h. The light on Westminster was red so I was able to swing onto Riverside without any trouble and then a bit of respite as I made my way to Burnaby and I was set for WWW and home. Couldn't have been more chuffed when I took a look at the stats and realized that I'd managed to hit 21.6 km/h, Dear Reader! Hip Hip Hooray!!!
 

Garmin Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4609382920#.Xlw6P07JlIU.email


AllTrails Map and Stats fro ride:

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-mar-01-2-26-pm-5726daf?p=-1

Was back in plenty of time for Kid Chelene, [He saw me on highway, when in Trout Creek, towards the end of my ride, as he and family were coming back from Costco!], to pick me up at 3:00 pm. We then proceeded to Rona where I obtained a "loading" slip and we were told to drive into yard. Young man who helped us said that the only unit they had was a floor model! Didn't really want this and couldn't believe what had happened, given what Chloรซ had described when she had asked me to collect vanity. Anyway, was not very happy. Chap said they had four more units coming in and would contact me when they arrived. 

At any rate, something didn't seem to fit and Kid suggested we inquire further. Went back into store and as we approached section selling bathroom fixtures we were met by a chap who had found vanity, in back! Really pleased as I didn't want to inconvenience Corey, having to ask him to come back this coming week, etc. Much happier we loaded it into his truck and parked, illegally, on Winnipeg, [Who was going to give him a ticket?], to take it into house.He then dropped me off at home and thanking him for all his help, we said goodbye. Back inside to do an abbreviated set of shouldares before showering and changing. Then dinner watching last two episodes of Longmire. Final Season, (6), and when Walt rode off into the sunset a trailer for Season 3 of Babylon Berlin appeared. Delighted as we have watched first two. However, unless I wish to stoke her royal rage I will have to wait to start watching until Lady Dar is back from Tinsel Town. What a life, the life of an ever considerate, caring husband!





Happy Spring! Just a quick note to let you know that the March 2020 wine club selections are ready for pick up at the winery. The Tasting Room is open Thursday - Monday (12PM - 4PM) (if these times don't work for you, let me know and I can arrange to meet you). We have the new Cabernet Franc vintage for you to try! Included with the package will be: x1 Gewurztraminer 2018 x1 Merlot 2018 x1 Cabernet Franc 2018 (NEW VINTAGE) We hope you enjoy the selections. Best regards, Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment