Saturday 6 January 2018

Breakfast of Firefighters at Aroma with a Side Order of Blues: Saturday, January 6th!

No man is useless who has a friend, and if we are loved we are indispensable. -Robert Louis Stevenson, novelist, essayist, and poet (1850-1894)


Hello Penticton! You had us in stitches with your "review" of Jean's New Year's Day gathering! [Not to be mean either, but Ayn suggested we forward your email to all the others on the list, other than Jean, and ask them what they thought of her message. Has to be deeply embarrassing for poor John.] That is why I forwarded her message. She is really going off the deep-end so there has to be something seriously amiss with her, sadly and unfortunately. Hardly know what I'm going to say to her. Don't think there is much worth in telling her what we really think so probably will focus on what we are doing, etc. 

Glad you were able to rescue Duke. Back to his tree/louvre climbing tricks! Anyway, must away as we are off to Aroma for breakfast with the newly minted firefighters at 8:30 am and then back home to start packing for Costa Rica. Keep shoveling and START STUDYING! Do a section and then shovel a bit to clear your mind. Repeat! Repeat! Repeat! Hello to the Pumpkin Haters! Love and Cheers, Dad! Pic: Couch Nana!

Just after 8:30 am we drove to Tojunga Village where Sam and Alex were waiting outside Aroma, sipping java and reading morning papers. Ayn was able
to park almost in front of the restaurant so a few minutes after we'd greeted one another we were ordering our breakfast. I opted for Carnitas Benedict with a cappuccino. While the others were placing their order I took a stroll through the place and couldn't believe how large it was. From the street it looks like it is just a storefront but in fact there is a very large, inside dining area and then a wrap around patio at the back of the building, mirroring the indoor dining area on the other side. Lady Dar selected a table large enough to accommodate five, about half way down this area, between the back patio and the street. Staff are very friendly and helpful and as soon as we knew where we were sitting one of the waiters moved a large overhead gas heater close to the table. It made things toasty as area is quite shaded and it was still coolish this early in the morning, when not in the sun.


We chatted amicably until our simply delicious food arrived, everything was tasty as all get out and portions are very generous. Sam and Alex were planning to go for a hike after breakfast and we needed to go to Ayn's office to print our boarding passes so fond goodbyes to Sam and Alex, making plans to have dinner with them the day we return from Costa Rica, Sunday February 4th. Ayn made a quick stop at Perennial Holistic Wellness Centre, a cannabis dispensary, to pick up some oil drops for Winston. She gives him a dose, from time to time, as it seems to help his againg stiff joints. Ayn wants us to do the same!


Then on to Crown Media, just down the way, to print out our boarding passes and then home. I wanted to go for a "stretch ride" after yesterday's lengthy outing so I suited up almost as soon as we were back. The Sisterhood wanted to go to see All the Money in the World as well as do a bit of shopping for last minute things we needed for our trip. I left around 12:30 pm and decided I'd explore the residential streets to the west of Woodman, instead of taking the OBL. This being the case I followed Erwin, dipsy-doodling and criss-crossing most of the streets in a given area bounded by busy arterial thoroughfares before scooting across one of these whenever traffic flow allowed. 


I made it as far west a Sepulveda before I turned around and continued to "sweep" the areas I'd already explored, coming to know which streets offered the longest runs and had 4 way stops. Traffic was very light so I don't think I ever had to yield to a vehicle of any sort, although I did have to dodge quite a few garbage and recycling trucks working many of the streets I rode. By the time I'd logged just over 42 km I caught the light on Erwin to take me past Ayn's place. I know this area quite well, from nay past rides here so it didn't take long for me to chalk up the 9 km I needed for the day. Was even pleased withe the AVG of 19.1 kph as I wasn't really pushing myself, although I must say my legs felt pretty good after yesterday's marathon. 


The Sisterhood were still out when I returned so I took a quick shower and when changed I started to pack the two bags I'm taking, a reasonably small one to check, the other, my knapsack, as carry-on, as it has my computer. As I sorted what I was taking I packed the garments and other items I would not need until we are back in February. Now, everything is, more or less, ready to load in the car once we are back. We leave for Palm Desert the day after we fly into Tinsel Town so won't have all that much time to do anything, especially since Sam, Alex and Pierre will come for dinner and a visit that evening. Ayn is doing a bit of last minute laundry for us and we'll have supper shortly. She will drive us to LAX and she feels we should leave at 8:00 pm as security etc., is a nightmare. Our flight leaves at just after midnight so she thinks this will give us plenty of time to check-in, etc. Next missive, all going well will be from San Jose! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2418609484#.WlFN2qPs4Mg.email


Hello WWW, World Wide Wonderman! Trust you are well and that Doordash and your church meetings all worked out. Have had two great rides over last two days but I missed your congenial company. I do hope we will be able to get together when we are back in town, in mid February. Well, dear friend, take care of yourself and Buona Fortuna with Santa Susana Pass and Valley Circle. Fondestos from both Lady Dar and Ayn. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: At Aroma this morning and then at Ayn's office! View is from here window.

Hello Terrace, to our Favourite Liberals and Non-Tree-Huggers, Donna Maria and Heraldo! Trust you are both well and that 2018 is treating you as you deserve. Must say that it has been more than wonderful to us. Starting to get to know various parts of LA and must say that it is a fascinating, fascinating town! Before I forget, thank you so much for your lovely, lovely Christmas card and newsy letter. Of course, you are always welcome at Sprit Ridge but you will probably have to sell your Airstream Dreamliner to pay for the stay, no matter how short! Loads and loads to tell but you'll have to endure my rides! Well, dear friends, take care of yourselves and Buona Fortuna with all you enter into until next our paths cross. Fondestos from both Lady Dar and Ayn, to you Dawn, and Heraldo, of course. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Porridge Aficionados! A Swede wins the 2017 World Championship Porridge Making Championship in Carrbridge, Scotland:
<http://www.goldenspurtle.com/media/press-releases/>

Photo: Damian Gadal
[Senectitude: noun: Old age.
Congratulations to Jane as well. I assume she shares part of the glory!!!
Take care of yourselves and Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Marilyn and Big Al! Thanks for the travel wishes. Ayn did a bit of last minute laundry for us and then we had supper shortly thereafter. She drove us to LAX at about 7:35 pm as security etc., is a nightmare, Winston riding shotgun in he front seat. In fact check-in and security went very well. Our flight leaves at just after midnight so I've had a bit of time to send a few messages. Next missive, all going well will be from San Jose! Well, dear friends, take care of yourselves and Buona Fortuna with all you enter into until next our paths cross. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment