Thursday 4 January 2018

Drill Tower 81 Blues: Thursday, January 4th!

People who demand neutrality in any situation are usually not neutral but in favor of the status quo. -Max Eastman, journalist and poet (4 Jan 1883-1969)

Etta sending message for help!
Your kid and fur kids❤️ Hi Kids! Great snaps, Chloë! I hope that the snow pic wasn't taken in our front yard! KVR? Who were you with? Nana is still sleeping and Ayn just took Winston for his walk. Last night, I finished The Late Shift around midnight and had barely turned out the light when I heard a chopper overhead. I soon noticed its searchlight sweeping past our bedroom window, in regular fashion, so I went into the living room and looked out the patio door. 
 
Craft was describing circles above Ayn's building, the light returning to Erwin, the cross-street leading to the underground garage of Ayn's apartment complex, with every rotation, illuminating a large pine, among other trees, not far from the entrance way. Shortly after I was up I heard sirens approaching so I assumed patrol cars were en route. Without trying to sound overly dramatic I wondered if I should have been standing in front of the large plate glass door. I wasn't worried about being seen, nekkid though I was, but was more concerned about a stray bullet not knowing what the police activity was all about. Anyway, chopper eventually turned off its searchlight and flew away. I returned to bed thinking that Harry Bosch's world had really come to life! Must away as we have to start readying ourselves for Alex's graduation ceremony which takes place at Drill Tower 81, in Panorama City, but a few minutes from here, at 10:00 am. Funnily enough, I rode past this facility, where Alex did most of his training, although I didn't see it, last Saturday when I was riding with Wole.  
 
Not sure how long the ceremony will be but about twelve family, (Melvin/Ryan and Rick, among others), and friends will go to Kabuki, the one on Burbank we've all been to before, at 3:00 pm to cash in on Happy Hour and celebrate the new fireman's graduation. Hip Hip Hooray! Fondestos from The Boeing Wind Tunnel Scientist currently doing cutting edge research on the velocity and force of snore waves! Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

Pic: Classified information. For Durston eyes only! Note: Spiked hair apparently measures intensity of snores! When I left the bedroom there were more pillows on the bed. When I returned, to record progress of experiment, I noticed that some had been blown right out the window into the pool below. Ayn is very upset, as you can imagine! Imagine we will have to stop at Ross, at some point, to replace ruined ones!

Hi Patrick, Thanks for the travelogue and photos, it was most interesting. I have been to LA a couple of times but have never visited any of these sites before. Apparently I need to broaden my horizons beyond bars and sports facilities. Enjoy Costa Rica and please give my regards to “Lady Dar”… Alan

Hi Bar Hopping Sports Fan!
Thanks for the travel wishes. Yes, we have come to know many of LA's fascinating districts and its plethora of exciting attractions in a way that I never had an inkling about since Ayn first moved her. City of Freeways was my stereotypical view. Certainly that but much, much more so let Ayn know next time you might be in town as she is a wonderful tour guide and wealth of informed suggestions. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Ayn P with Corinne Durston and others. What an amazing day! Congratulations Alex Prince on becoming an official LAFD firefighter and for all of your hard work, focus and determination! We are so very proud of you xoxo!! Chloe Alexis Dunn This makes me so happy and proud!!!! 

Congratulations Alex Prince!!!! I love and miss you all!!! Carol Riera He must be so hot in that gear! What a proud moment! congrats to Alex! Bart Fisher, Alex, Congratulations!!! What an exciting new chapter in life! I know you will excel to the very top! Andrea Clarke Congrats!!Marlo Jurkowski Congrats Alex Prince! Way to go! Garvin Blafoo Congrats Alex. Your perseverance has paid off. Best wishes with your career. Silvana Harwood Excellent. Stephen Carthew‪ Wow, congratulations. Those fires better watchout! Maggie Carr 👍🏻Takagaki Toshiko Congratulations!!! Ayn P He looks great in uniform xoxo!!Patrick James Dunn What a simply wonderful occasion, not only very moving but most exciting with all the actual, rescue skills demonstrations, everything from putting on equipment to throwing ladders to using the Jaws of Life. Am I ever glad that I'm too old to enlist! However, Where is the snap of Alex jumping? Alex jumping onto an air bag from the 4th story window of Drill Tower 81! [More pictures of graduation to follow when I can find time!] Michele Darrow-Sutherland Awesome!! Rae Tanner So proud of our very own first responder! Elena Neely Congratulations!👩🏼‍🚒🔥🔥 Ni Cole Marie Ayn P wow he makes that look so easy!!! 😳 congrats to him

Alex's grad from the LAFD was this morning and it was a simply wonderful affair, not only very moving but most exciting with all the numerous, actual, rescue skills demonstrations, everything from putting on equipment to throwing ladders to using the Jaws of Life to watching Alex jump from the 4th story window of Drill Tower 81 onto a gigantic inflatable air cushion. Am I ever glad that I'm too old to enlist. After everything was over we popped back home for a couple of hours and I managed to go for a short ride around Lake Balboa, small and man-made but lovely grounds. Day was glorious so we are really enjoying the warm sun. Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2414774686#.Wk8XoLNKqPY.email
 
At 4:00 pm, (to take advantage of Happy Hour!), thirteen friends and family met to celebrate at Kabuki, a wonderful Japanese restaurant in Burbank. [Ayn took Magnolia for much of the way and it is a gorgeous street with huge, manicured trees, the Burbank Hills gleaming golden in the setting sun, both sides of the street lined with many of the establishments occupying buildings from the '50's or earlier, giving the neighbourhood an appealing, historical snapshot look. After the fabulous dinner most of The Bright Young Things were planning to go to a popular whiskey bar called The Woodman but Lady Dar, Ayn and I were more than happy to return home as it had been a long day, one of the many since being on the road. Had to start re-packing soon as we leave for Costa Rica on Saturday and both Friday and early Saturday are already busy with various social commitments. Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment