Monday 1 January 2018

Santa Susana Pass Road to Simi Valley Rocky Peak Blues: Monday, January 1st, 2018!

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. -J.D. Salinger, writer (1 Jan 1919-2010)



ETTA getting cozy ❤️
I think I will be spending winters here from now on. 78 degrees here today,
California girls in shorts. you will be all welcome to join us Hugs Corinne Not as bad here today - 17 but windy Just cleaned up post New Years Day Levee


Happy New Years from Vernon and -17!!!! 🍾🎉❤️

I slept in until 8:40 am and then the sound of The Sisterhood chatting in the living room woke me and I hopped out of bed, as best a 70 year old frame can hop, and zapped my first mug of java. Wished both Lady Dar and Ayn a Healthy New Year again and then digitated away until Ayn was back from taking Winston for his morning constitutional. When she was back she whipped up another simply delish brunch, tortilla scramble topped with chunks of succulent overleft chicken from last night's Greek feast. Knew I might require such a meal as I was intending to tackle the Santa Susana Pass. Wole called at just after 11:00 am, ready to roll, in spite of his fall yesterday, and up for the ascent of Rocky Peak, the top of Santa Susana Pass Road. We agreed to meet at Corbin at 12:30 pm so shortly after 11:35 am I was lubed and suited and ready to hit the OBL.


I was about ten minutes late to the rendezvous as I had to make a number of didpsy-doodles at those streets where I didn't catch the light. Since most, if not all of the major thoroughfares were very quiet, given it was New Year's Day and overhangs probably kept people abed or at least inside, I was able to keep from touching The Dreaded Burning Ground until I met Wole, with about 15 km on the clock, by then. When we met we wished one another a Healthy New Year and kept going on the OBL. Chatted as we rode along and we managed to learn more about each other so it was a very pleasant ride. Retraced our route from the day before, Wole paying particular attention to the tracks on Lassen, and when we reached Devonshire we followed it over Topango Canyon Road to the residential streets beyond. I knew, from past rides thereabouts, that we could make it back, via Chatsworth Park to Chatsworth and then be able to dipsy-doodle our way to the approach to Old Santa Susana Pass Road, along the sidewalk on Topanga Canyon Road, a very busy thoroughfare most anytime, as there are no through side streets at this point. 

Either side of me.....kittens❤️

Once we were there, I was absolutely delighted to find that the road had not only been completely, beautifully resurfaced but also widened, particularly at the lower levels. Wole found the increasingly steep grade to be a bit of a challenge but he soldiered on although he dropped behind as I made my way uphill. I nipped into a driveway to a ball park off to the steep side of the road to circle and wait for him to catch up. When he arrived I suggested he might wish to wait for me at the start of the climb as I fully intended to ride to the top of the pass before heading back down. However, when he arrived he said he was feeling fine and took off like a jack rabbit, leaving me in the dust!

Impressed, I followed him, gradually eating into his lead as the grade took its toll on his lungs and legs. When I did pass him we agreed that if he decided not to continue the climb we wold meet back down at the start of SSPD and I kept plugging away. I had forgotten how lovley the surrounding landscape is, huge tan boulders, the size of a garage or even a bungalow, festoon the hillsides and I felt I was in a Spaghetti Western, my Trek serving as my Palomino, although I really wasn't cantering! That being said, the grade was not as punishing as I had imagined it was going to be and before I knew it I had reached the top. Not far from the crest there is an entrance/exit to CA-118/Ronald Reagan Fwy so plenty of room to turn around safely. [Originally, I had planned to ride into Simi Valley itself, to visit friends who live there but when Ayn talked to them earlier that morning, they were still recovering from a house-full of Canadian visitors so we made a date to see them later in the week.] Very pleased with how the climb had gone I shifted into top gear and prepared to enjoy the glorious swoop down.

Seasons Greetings
A moment or so later, I saw Wole, not all that far from the top so I encouraged him to persevere to crest the hill and said I would wait for him, circling on the small side street near Topango. The glide down was exhilarating and the marvelously smooth tarmac enhanced the adrenaline rush of the descent. Gave the thumbs-up to a number of riders making their way uphill and before I knew it I was back at the bottom. Only a couple of circles required before Wole joined me, chuffed as all get-out as although he has driven SSPR before he had never ridden it. Congratulating one another we hit Topanga and turned off at Chatsworth as I wanted to show Wole another route that was well worth knowing about. Another way into The Valley, from Simi, is over Box Canyon Road, a grueling, grueling climb from either side. At any rate, one gains access to this spectacular ascent off Valley Circle Blvd and I suggested that even if he didn't wish to attempt the climb the ride along VCB is a terrific roller-coaster, relatively traffic free ride.

Took us a bit of dipsy-doodling to find VCB but when we did it was off Plummer, as I remembered once we were there. Satisfied with rediscovering this route we stayed on Plummer to make our way back to the OBL. Once there we chatted amiably all the way to Corbin. Wole had invited me to his place but as it was almost 4:00 pm by then I took a rain cheque as I knew I was still half an hour from home and needed to be back in time to shower and change and be ready for Samantha and Alex, coming for dinner that evening. Thanking Wole for the more than terrific outing we made plans to get together later in the week and waved goodbye. 

Sky had clouded over so it was a tad darker than it otherwise would have been at that time of day. [Must remember to put my LED lights on my handlebars just in case I'm out later on future rides.] Still, I had fun dodging kids, dogs, ducks and even the odd swan or two, as I made my way through Balboa Lake Park, filled with families having picnics or riding Surreys, both two and four seaters. Once through this busy recreational spot the remaining stretches of the OBL were very quiet and I was soon on Woodman and opening the door to Ayn's building by 4:30 pm. Just Winston and I once back in her apartmento as The Sisterhood had gone to see The Shape of Water, I learned when they returned, enjoying it immensely. Quite chuffed that we had cycled SSPD, a ride I'd last done on Christmas Day, 2016, I poured myself a snort of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte PC12, 58.7% on the Richter Scale, to celebrate the first ride of 2018 and then went to shower. Cheers! Map and Stats for first ride of 2018:
 
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2408999689#.WkrZKlsBT3k.email


Patrick James Dunn Healthy New Year to you, Wonder Woman, and your Menfolk! You should have been with us today as we rode the Santa Susana Pass Road. Spectaculare! Cheers from my riding companion, Wole! David Kessler sounds like an exhilarating and beautiful ride!Manage
Hi Pamela and Wild Bill! Healthy New year to you both! Thanks for your wishes. Our New Year's Eve sounded much like yours. Pierre, Alex and Samantha, came over for an early dinner as Pierre was in charge of security at a downtown nightclub and had to be on site by 8:00 pm while S/A had another, more boisterous party to attend! Not that we minded as we were more than content to watch Dunkirk, sipping a delish Sparkling Pinot Noir, a gift from our dear friends, Pat and David Coffaro, one of our favourite Sonoma wineries, to usher in 2018. Glad you stayed up! Fondestos from Lady Dar. All the best to you both, dear friends. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Chloë on KVR! Taken after we left town.

Thanks for your wonderful email--great to see pictures of your travels and Tinsel Town cuisine!! Enjoy and savor the moments! Such nice warmth--we had a nice day today but it is brisk. Just catching up on email and relaxing. Caught up on a podcast of Becausenews--a CBC radio program I like. Anyways say hello to Corinne and Ayn--tell her I am sorry I spell her name so incorrectly. Cheers for now Jo-Anne 

No comments:

Post a Comment