Friday 5 January 2018

OBL & Valley Circle Boulevard Blues: Friday, January 5th!

Fear prophets and those prepared to die for the truth, for as a rule they make many others die with them, often before them, at times instead of them. -Umberto Eco, philosopher and novelist (5 Jan 1932-2016) 
 

Hello Extremely, Extremely Proud Family and Friends! Once again, Hearty Congratulations to Alexander on his remarkable achievement. His hard, hard work, determination and focus, never wavering over the course of his training, except, perhaps, for a snort of expensive Bourbon! Yet he always remained composed and easy going, in spite of the considerable strain and stress of the regimen, both physical and academic. [He was even smiling just before he stepped off the window ledge of the 4th floor of Drill Tower 81!] Hip Hip Hooray! For He's A Jolly Good Fellow! Many, many thanks, of course, to all the close family and friends who supported Alex in his decision to join the department and over the entire course of his studies and training.

Just a quick note to thank those of you who supplied pictures of the graduation ceremony and exciting demonstrations. Much to my everlasting chagrin, I discovered my camera's memory chip was still in my computer, back at Ayn's place, when I went to snap my first shot! However, this meant I could sit back and enjoy the remarkable pageant which unfolded on this glorious, memorable day. Once again, our heartfelt best wishes go out to Alex and Samantha as they begin this new stage in their lives as part of the LAFD family. Bravo and Buona Fortuna to you both! Love and Cheers, Nana and Poppa/Lady Dar and Patrizzio!

Never a dull moment in the lives of the Dunnstons. Have a great trip to Costa Rica, and keep enjoying life like you always do. Hug to you both. Jos and Aart
Hello Summerland! Trust you are both well and enjoying winter sports! Well, dear friends, take care of yourselves and Buona Fortuna with all you undertake until next our paths cross. Fondestos from both Lady Dar and Ayn. Cheers, Patrizzio!

As you can tell, I have attached an album of yesterday's exciting graduation. Must away as I'm hoping to log a 100 km ride today. Have been on much of route before but want to go farther on Valley Circle than I've been before and need to be back in time for a pedicure with Lady Dar at 4:00 pm! As well, must start re-packing as we leave for Costa Rica on Saturday and both this evening and early Saturday are already busy with various social commitments. Hello to one and all in snowy Penticton.

We were all up by just before 7:00 am and I digitated for a couple of hours, putting together a Flickr album of Alex's graduation and the celebratory party at Kabuki that evening. Around 10:00 am Lady Dar scrambled some eggs and fried up some overleft kartofellage, overlefts from her much desired Feta Potatoes. Well fueled for the coming ride I left the apartmento at 10:30 am. Had decided I'd try to have a Free Dreaded Burning Ground outing. This being the case, I shunned the OBL, taking Erwin to Ranchito and then catching Bessemer, as I knew from past excursions, that if I followed this street, at it this time of day, I would be able to dipsy-doodle my way around the various intersections, until I reached Sepulveda. Once here I did a very cagey loop in the Costco parking lot until I was able to catch the light to take me back across Sepulveda to hit the OBL with ease.

At this point, I knew I was home free as there were no lights until I reached Woodley Avenue and at this intersection three was enough room to circle in case the light was not in my favour when I arrived. Turned out it was and so I was home free to circumnavigate Lake Balboa Park. Did almost two complete circuits before I scooted under Balboa to ride south to Burbank and then around the numerous sports fields thee to emerge on the bike path which parallels Oxnard at this point. I knew the residential streets hereabouts and had decided I would log many of the km's I required, looping them. Turned out really well and once I'd clocked 34 km I returned, following much the same route, to Balboa Lake.

More loopage here, taking a couple of side trips to the radio controlled airplane park, enjoying being buzzed by a number of the model airplanes whirring overhead. Once I had 51 km on my trusty odometer I returned to Oxnard to gerbalize myself on four streets, Adelia, Louise, Laine and Encino to rack up 68 km by the time I'd done two loops of each, dodging the garbage trucks picking up both trash and recycling. As so as as I'd done this I decided I might just as well stay here and keep riding until I'd reached 81 km, knowing that with the distance I would cover on the homeward bound section would take me close to 100 km.

Felt pretty good, I must say, to have been able to carve out a reasonably achievable route for a lengthy ride, so although my legs were twitching a bit, I put my head down and focused on the ticking off the necessary distance. Almost had an accident as I was zipping past the soccer fields as a woman with a  small, yappy dog didn't reel in its leash and the hyper-active canine dashed at me, unrestrained, so that I had to take quick evasive action to the left to avoid being tangled in the misbehaved pooch's leash! "Sorry" said the dope owner as I cycled on, common courtesy preventing me from responding with my true feelings, Dear Reader!

Once I was back on the OBL I was a tad concerned about making all the lights ahead as I was determined to complete the otherwise perfect ride without touching the Dreaded Burning Ground with only 5 km to go. Traffic was reasonably light on the major thoroughfares so I was able to dodge and weave my way across any, safely, where the lights were not in my favour. As son as I was back on Bessemer, I knew it was pretty much guaranteed that I would complete the ride as I hoped. Fate was certainly with me when I approached Erwin and Woodman as Ayn and Winston were on that corner, heading home after Winston's walk. She pressed the light control button and I was across the busy street with only 2 km to log before I could return to the front entrance. Pleased as punch I zipped east on Erwin to complete a loop I've described countless times before and I was back at the apartmento at 3:40 pm, in plenty of time to lock my bike on the balcony, change my shoes and then head out with Lady Dar for M & A Nails, for our 4:00 pm appointments. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2416619243#.WlAf0dyCbAw.email


Hello The Sisterhood! The latest from Guru Jean! Adrian Nadeau just phoned and he has been battling the stomach flu all day so he canceled dinner. Too, too bad but more of Lady Dar's fabulous Spaghetti Squash Chicken Casserole. Must away as I'm charged with making a salad and opening a bottle of Coffaro red as the 2017 Oyster Bay, NZ, Sauvignon Blanc, 12.5%, we are sipping is slipping away quite quickly! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Had terrific pedicures at 4:00 pm today, after I was home from my first 100 km ride since last fall.

Dear Friends, What a magical moment we all shared on the first day of this special New Year. In my quest to bring all of you together, to bond, to share, to experience something so unique it began as you entered our home.  The sweet and earthy smells that permeated our rooms of Hot Cranberry Rum Toddy's created  by John being the Viking that he is was intoxicating, creating feelings of coziness & warmth, & a relaxed hospitality that hits a magical chord that is  embracing for it is gratefulness that makes us happy. 

As gratefulness rose in everyone's hearts as guests started to meet each other there was three degrees of separation as this feeling of happiness became contagious spreading throughout the rooms benefiting everyone.  Friendships bring us more happiness than anything else & the impact was powerful.  The happy chemicals, the endorphins, dopamine, serotonin and oxytocin permeated our bodies.  Everyone was on an emotional high for three glorious hours that will stay in our hearts, our bodies for months.  

The key to life is grateful living and by becoming aware, mindful, that every moment is a given moment, that is the most valuable gift we can give ourselves, that is the key to happiness. Thank you to all for your most generous gifts, To your most creative culinary delights. To our neighbor Rick for his wonderful smoked salmon. To Cynthia, her daughter Codie, Sister Sally and cousin Rowena for baking up all the many appetizers and were so professional in looking after our guests.  To our life time friends Kathleen and Barry from Seattle who we met some forty five years ago when we lived in Queensland on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. The day was most memorable and John & I thank you all for your loving kindness and of course you know this moment will be repeated in the New Year.

On that note and to continue our bond of friendship in May we will have over forty Japanese Maples in bloom  not to mention the rhododendrons and azaleas and would like to invite you & your family  to our Japanese Stroll Garden.  Dr. Michel Joffres is also a professional photographer & friend said he would like to come and photograph their beauty. I am sure many of you would love to come and take photos for the garden is spectacular in its beauty.  I have designed the gardens that evokes a sense of wonderment, exploration and tranquility. A place to self-reflect that elicits an emotional response & curiosity.  You will be empowered by its beauty.  The power of rocks is grounding & walking along the pea gravel paths will put you in touch with nature.  And of course you all must take a walk across the Red Japanese Bridge for it will bring you happiness.  I will contact you during the month of May for more details. Wishing you all much Happiness. Love, Jean & John

Hi Jean and John! Trust you are both well and that 2018 is treating you as you deserve. Sounds as if your Open House was more than a success! Sorry that we were not able to join you. Well, dear friends, take care of yourselves and Buona Fortuna with all you enter into until next our paths cross. Fondestos from both Lady Dar and Ayn, to you, Jean, John and to your pooches, Tess and Benson, from Ayn's Winston! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: At Aroma this morning and then at Ayn's office! View is from here window. Winston!

Not to be mean but what is Jean smoking??? That’s a lot of warmth and happiness in the soul geez, I like her but that email is kinda ridiculous, repetitive and redundant. Glad your keeping you toes up to snuff!!! Duke and Etta miss you guys!! He was behind the tv in rumpus room last night then climbed below it through the wire whole he was stuck and I had to yank him out. They are both sick of pumpkin they miss all the turkey and other treats.
Still at work and it’s snowing here again. ❤️❤️


A Swede wins the 2017 World Championship Porridge Making Championship
in Carrbridge, Scotland: http://www.goldenspurtle.com/media/press-releases/
Hello Porridge Aficionados! Congratulations to Colin. I assume he shares part of the glory!!! Trust you are both well and that 2018 is treating you as you deserve, now that you are retired, Marps! Well, dear friends, take care of yourselves and Buona Fortuna with all you enter into until next our paths cross. Fondestos from both Lady Dar and Ayn, to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment