Wednesday 17 January 2018

Raindrops 'Ain't Fallin' On My Head Blues: Wednesday, January 17th!

It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)


Up at 7:30 am this morning to the sound of the non-stop rain! Many sighs from Lady Dar but I, cockeyed optimist, felt in my heart and soul that this unseasonably wet period would have to come to an end, at some point soon. Not before we went for breakfast however! Enjoyed three cups of very tasty java over the course of the meal. Coffee is so good here that I've taken to drinking it black, café negro, even without azúcar. Hope to continue this once back home as I certainly don't need the extra calories milk and sugar provide. Just like putting water in Single Malt!!!

Had a very pleasant chat with a couple on way back from breakfast, she from Lithuania, he from Majorca, living between there and London. They are off to San José today to fly to Guatemala in a day or so. Lady Dar just headed out to scour the town, Power Shopping, almost screaming, "It's not raining!" as she waved goodbye! I'll digitate for a bit, sending messages to the friends we plan to visit once back in the US to make sure timing works for them.

About an hour after leaving, Lady Dar was back, looking like Tinker Bell as played by Mary Martin! She found a great barber, according to her, and wants to pay for my haircut/beard trim, so upset is she to be seen with Mountain Man! The two umbrellas she picked up will certainly come in handy as rain had resumed, with a  vengeance when we went back out! Barber shop is my Cachorro, but  a bit more upscale. Most of the five chairs were filled when I was being shorn, two very young lads and a very attractive female punk rocker. Style seems to be shaved on sides as many cuts like this among locals. Anyway, I was more than pleased with my haircut and it was a only $6.62 CDN so I tipped $2.2 CDN or 1,000 Costa Rican Colóns (CRC), big spender that I am!

Then on to Nanku, a corner spot e'd scoped on the first day in Fortuna. Each of us ordered a delicious bowl of Sopa Azteca and struck up a conversation with a friendly couple from Orange County. On way home I wanated to stop at a number of other hotels on our route to ask if they had exchange libraries. I was almost finished The Bat so will need another book shortly. Hotel Fortuna offered a possibility but tunred out that Isaac, at our hotel, has a book at home that he is more than willing to exchange, Italian author Sandrone Dazieri's Kill the Father:  

Dante Torre spent eleven young years in captivity - held by a man known only as The Father - before outwitting his abductor. Now working for the police force, Torre's methods are unorthodox but his brilliance is clear. When a young child goes missing in similar circumstances in Rome, Torre must confront the demons of his past to attempt to solve the case. Paired with Deputy Captain Colomba Caselli, a fierce, warrior-like detective still reeling from having survived a bloody catastrophe, all evidence suggests The Father is active after being dormant for decades, and that he’s looking forward to a reunion with Dante.
 
Neither of us has heard of this series so really looking forward to discovering a new crime writer. Must away as I want to have a shower to see how handsome I really am after having had my ears lowered and then ready myself for dinner this evening. I'd like to try the Lebanese restaurant, La Parrilla de María Bonita, just down the street from our hotel, even closer than Snappers, although I'll probably need to ply Lady Dar with vino first! Menu looked very tasty and reasonable when we took a look on Monday.

Hello Hard Working Girl, Meow Kitten, TV Boy, et al! Sounds as if you are really busy at work, Chloë, so hope you are learning loads! Tell El Diablo that he probably needs to think about shovelling walks to pay for all his collars! Poor, Miss Etta, I think she does miss us. Great news that Beckster and Kid Chelene will likely be in Penticton in April. Wish them luck in selling their place. Fondestos from Nana/Lady Dar, watching CNN and moaning about needing a glass of wine! Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

Pics: Had this wonderful, wonderful white, last night, returning to Snappers, for more camarón and atún! First discovered the exceptional varietal, Torrontés, [a white Argentinian grape, producing an aromatic wine, moderate acidity, silky smooth texture and delicious peach and apricot aromas], when in Buenos Aires in 2008! Sculpture above bar; Tinker Bell on our patio this afternoon; some of the Christmas decorations still up in town; Sopa Azteca fan; towel sculpture left by maid!

Morning!! Duke came home and lost his second collar in as many weeks, put a new one on him and he is in his favorite new spot behind the tv. He actually crawls behind and down the hole where the cords are and sleeps!!! Not sure how comfortable it can be and he struggles to gut up and out but must be warm and cozy!!! Long day today a million things to do and a 6:30 council meeting!! Most days are 10 hours and I have major fur sib guilt. Love you, wish I was warm and vacationy it’s cold and wet here!!! 
 
It’s warm but has rained for past 4 days Just bought umbrellas. That Duke is strange. Are you putting on a fire. Doesn’t sound like you have much study time. Is the course helping. Hugs Mom Ps how is Etta? Weekends are for studying and some nights if I’m alert enough but no point if I’m not retaining the info!!! Etta is good she gets lots of rubs and follows me from room to room she meows more I think then I’m used to maybe she’s asking where they heck you two are!! Corey and Rebecca got official papers and should be here for April. Next step is putting their place for sale. ❤️❤️ Dear Patrick, An unbelievable magical trip! I hope you will bring home some wonderful artifacts to remind you of your trip.  Some twenty years ago when I went on a company trip to Aruba, it too was magical the azure blue Caribbean Sea, the velvet sand, the endless vistas.  Enjoy! I am back to writing my book, an escape into magic which for me is a wonderful journey, too! Love, Jean Hi Magical Mystery Tour Author! Sounds as if you are really enjoying your writing. Terrific to hear that, of course. Fondestos from Lady Dar, to you and John, Jean. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Colin and Jo-Anne!
My only resolution is to start drinking my coffee black! [See below.] Fondestos from Lady Dar, to you and Jo-Anne, Colin. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hello Glasgow, et al!! Thought I'd send along itineraries for both cycling trips and if you are serious about joining me on one of them please let me know so that I can contact Katarina, as well as working out details for meeting up, etc. Chance of a lifetime, rest of you cyclistii! Fondestos from Lady Dar, to one and all! Cheers, Patrizzio/Il Conduttore
 

No comments:

Post a Comment