Sunday 21 January 2018

Hike The Hight Road to Monteverde and Back Blues: Sunday, January 21st!

Walking is also an ambulation of mind. -Gretel Ehrlich, novelist, poet, and essayist (b. 21 Jan 1946)


Hi Nicolina and Patricio, The Younger! Trust you enjoyed one of the scrumptiously tasty cinnamon buns at Stella's! Lady Dar's Dad, Dusty, loved such buns and I know he would have had as many as Rosie-the-Riveter, (aka Clara, my favourite Mother-in-Law!), would allow before cutting him off!

As I'm sure I need not tell you, more hurricane force winds, (at least that what it sounded like), last night. I had put one of the tops I had hand-washed out on a hanger, hooked to the back of the bench outside our bungalow and half-expected it to be gone when I poked my head outside the door this morning at 7:35 am. Delighted it was still there and dry, something in this very humid climate. I suppose the wind was responsible for drying the garment. Anyway, washed out another top when I was having my morning shower and put it out in the same place so trust my laundry will be done later today!

Had delicious omellettos this morning and were treated to the return of the same Capuchin or white-faced monkey we had seen yesterday morning. Nimble creature stayed around much longer today so I was able to catch some reasonably good snaps of it, looking imploringly at us through the window pane. There are a number of hooks on the balcony roof where staff, I presume, hang bunches of bananas. However, all that remained of the three hanging stalks, we could see, held nothing but the dry, withered remnants of any fruit that had been put out so I guess our "freeloader" was hoping for a handout!

Back to our room for a bit to catch up on editing some of the pictures I've taken. Also waiting for the sky to clear as we plan to walk into Monteverde today and there are a few quite muddy patches of road, without sidewalks, so hoping the blustery winds will dry out these stretches, if only somewhat. There are a number of clutches of small shops, galleries and the like, along the way so will poke our noses into them as we make our journey into town. Will depend on the weather but if it is not raining I want to walk back to El Bosque, a Costa Rican version of our Penticton hikes, as the way home is up some pretty steep inclines, particularly on leaving Monteverde itself. Lady Dar has already indicated that she will take a cab back. Great by me, as she can take any groceries or souvenirs we happen to buy!

Trust you enjoy The Bat Cave, if that is what you have decided to do. We'll knock on your door when we are back from our outing and see what you might like to do for dinner, etc. Also wanted to send along some of the snaps I've taken at dinner for the last two nights at Tremonti and the album taken at Selvatura/Stella's as well as the link to the YouTube video of hummingbirds:
https://youtu.be/ciiZeZ2CxQo 

I know from posted comments that both Chloë, our youngest daughter, in Penticton, and Rosita, in frozen Manitoba, have already looked at them on Facebook, Clarisse being the hippest, socially media conscious 93 year old, (her birthday is actually January 28th!), we know, even if she is more than rather difficult to live with! [I can already hear her saying, "Yes, Patrick!] All the best to one and all. Fondestos from Lady Dar, whingeing and whining about wanting to head into town, all those hundreds of thousands of colones burning a hole in her pocket! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Fabulous reception in Room 22, night of our arrival at El Bosque. Dinner afterwards at Tramonti! Adrianna, owner, making pasta, when I made reservations yesterday morning;  Last night's dinner with Aunt Jemima! Agouti yesterday afternoon, just outside our window, on the grass near the flowerbeds; This morning's live entertainment! Just the tail and then...

Back to our room for a bit to catch up on editing some of the pictures I've taken. Also waiting for the sky to clear as we planned to walk into Monteverde today and there are a few quite muddy patches of road, without sidewalks, so were hoping the blustery winds would dry out these stretches, if only somewhat. Set out around 11:00 am, furious rain squalls alternating with hot sun and blue sky. There are a number of clutches of small shops, galleries and the like, along the way so we poked our noses into them as we made our journey into town. 

Took us about an hour and three-quarters to reach Monteverde itself. Looked around a number of the souvenir shops there but nothing really caught our eyes. I had entertained the idea of walking back, by myself, to El Bosque, [A Costa Rican version of our Penticton hikes, as the way home is up some pretty steep inclines, particularly on leaving Monteverde itself.], as Lady Dar had indicated, before we even set out, that she was taking a cab back! As I wanted to return to the Monteverde Coffee Centre, just up the road form our hotel, I decided I ride home in luxury. On the way back our cab driver informed us that part of the steep hillside we had walked past, earlier, had collapsed, about four months ago, as a direct result the side-effects of the hurricanes which had ravaged so much of the Caribbean. Apparently, most of Monteverde and environs were without power and water for over a week until services could be restored. Given the "normal" winds which we've experienced I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like under semi-hurricane conditions.

Near the section of the landslide which had blocked the road we noticed a number of buildings, either completely or partially destroyed, by the collapse and resulting mud slide. Anyway, we asked to be dropped by the MCC, more a café, but an extremely friendly and comfortable spot, nonetheless, many backpackers taking advantage of the free WiFi! Lady Dar enjoyed a Chai Latte and I ordered a Cappuccino Bosque Nuboso, basically a cappuccino with whipped cream on top. Tasty indeed. Before I ordered, I tasted five of the coffees available and knew, almost immediately, the the Dark Roast was for me. 

All of their product is cultivated and harvested by small farmers in the Monteverde area. Picked up a couple of bars of Tsuru dark chocolate, [natural chocolate from Costa Rica], with coffee, to deliver a simply delicious punch! Finally, could not help but notice many of the very attractive hemp coffee bags which adorned the walls. Only one Saco Yute was available, Café de Monteverde, adorned with a hummingbird and coffee plant in a very attractive design so bought two of them. Most reasonably priced and perfect souvenirs as truly representative of country, [actually used to ship beans internationally], and easy to pack and carry.

Pleased as punch with the outing, subsequent enjoyable break and our purchases, we headed back to our room. Time for a bit of reading, messaging and then a nap.  We'll knock on Nicky's/Paddy's door later on to see what they might like to do for dinner, etc. Their last night here so we would like to have a drink and a visit. Map and Stats for walk/taxi cab ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2449550236#.WmT4mUUF_mw.email

PS: Had quite a bit of difficulty acquiring satellites so actual walk isn't actually reflected in the stats/map. Of course AVG is a result of taxi ride but I wanted to record route so I left odometre on. 

Young Patrick, I see you are having a wonderful trip. I also really enjoyed the gold museum. Some of the art pieces. all of the art pieces are beautiful. I have only heard good things about Costa Rico and have had many friends visit there. Corinne looked to be having a great time as well. I go in Tues morning for the 1st surgery, and Jan 29th for the lung removal. The recovery period is 4 to 10 weeks, so I am hoping that they do it right the first time. I am nervous about the whole thing, but I believe that I have a great medical team, and that they can bring me around.
 
I don't remember if I told you or not, but I found a wonderful girl at Air Canada who credited me all of my air miles back and returned my $593. as well. perseverance paid off. I was still felling sorry for myself, and her kindness really gave me a much needed boost.
 
Our weather has picked up nicely.. but we are not exactly picking bananas in our front yards... more likely icicles... I hope it stays moderate as my recoup tells me to go out and walk for 20 minutes a day..having built up from 5.. Icy sidewalks can make this a little more of a challenge, but I want to get behind the wheel asap, so I will do my best. I have lived on my own for so many years that I don;t like to rely on others to keep me going. Well Kid, I hope the rest of you trip is as enjoyable as the first part. Behave yourself, and my best to Corinne and Chloe... Old man Dempster

Hi Wild Bill!
Trust you are as well as can be expected, given the nature of the major surgery you are facing! Know all will go well as you are too mean and tough for anything to go wrong! Glad you enjoyed the snaps. Fondestos from Lady Dar, to you, Wild Bill! Take care of yourself and we'll be rooting for you on Tuesday, drinking a cold beer on the beach, by then! Cheers, Patrizzio!  

No comments:

Post a Comment