Thursday 28 June 2018

Hipster Paolo and the Next Round of Post-Hospitalization Blues: Thursday, June 28th!

What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness? -Jean Jacques Rousseau, philosopher and author (28 Jun 1712-1778) 


Marlo at chemotherapy this morning. I told Ryan I want him to do a sexy dance for her and he was unwilling as it was a room full of people... I said that would make Mar laugh. Laughing at the idea of Ryan doing a sexy dance for her.

Thank you, she looks beautiful. Hi Chloë, et al! Thanks for picture of brave Marlo. [Wow, the room looks huge now! Thanks for the update and it was great to finally hear your voice in person today xoxo Ms Tinsel Town] I'm off to see the doctor at 4:30 pm this afternoon to see what he might think in terms of follow-up, etc.

Most of kitchen walls, etc., have been removed now. The section where the pantry, opposite washer and dryer, is will be removed tomorrow. The shelving in the garage, where w/d will now go has been removed. All the required electrical work has been installed but the plumber still needs to come before washer can be hooked up with all the necessary hot and cold water piping and drain exhaust. Not quite sure but I assume holes will have to be made in concrete footing to allow all this to be installed. Will be great to be able to do laundry so hope it will happen before the long weekend. Of course we can survive but it will certainly be far more comfortable if we can do laundry, under circumstances.

One of the "good" things about my convalescence is that I'm reading more than I have done in a long while. Also catching up on a whole host of recorded shows. I may well give up cycling and become a Netflix junkie! Time for a shower before Lady Dar takes me to see the dottore. She just left to go to bank so that she'll have plenty of cold, hard cash for tonight's Penticton Art Gallery dinner/fund raiser. Lynne and Peter will come by to pick her up. Chloë is going but I think on her own as she is very busy at work. Of course, I'm being abandoned, like last night. Might as well have stayed in Berlin! Fondestos, Love and Cheers, Patient Poppa Patrizzio!

Pics: Duke in drying rack in our bathroom! Kitchen after Mike and his crew left, with shots of our bedroom, Rumpus Room and then my Office with our outdoor kitchen for next two weeks or more! Garage where w/d will go and shelving outside!

Patriçio, I am glad you are back safe in the bosom f your loving family. Tough break in Europe! I was hoping to drop by just to say “hi” - I could use a road trip - but I found my Dad on the floor this a.m. and he is in the hospital now, very weak, aery dazed & confused. I will get on the phone mañana and look into upping the home care. Until then, I will be sleeping on the pull-out in his LR in case he gets up in the night. I hear muchos renos happening? Women eh? Anyway, talk soon, take care, and please start considering touching the burning ground on a bike ride! A java at the half way point is a good thing!!! Talk soon, bjp Branko 

OH my goodness Patrick!  What terrible things have been happening to you since the Poland trip!  I was so shocked to hear about your accidents, the damage to your face and hospital visit in Krakow.  If I had known all that was happening, I would have at least visited you in the hospital as I was still in Krakow at the Ginger Hostel till the 12th.  (Rented a bike on the 11th and rode along the Vistula to Shindlers Factory (closed) and then out towards the kayaks again.)  Instead, as I was leaving for the airport on the 12th,  I left a note in your bike basket saying Happy Travels!  

After I arrived home, I had the worst jet lag ever and it lasted for a solid week! Never experienced that before.  During that week I barely looked at emails or did much of anything except take George for his shoulder surgery, back and forth on the ferry.  That was about all I could handle.  so I didn’t really know of all your troubles till just a few days ago.  I hope you are on the mend and getting back to life as you would like it to be.  So good of your Lady Dar to come to your rescue.  Sounds like you have the best of the best taking care of you.

I discovered a Polish bakery in North Vancouver today and found Lindon tree honey there!! Of course I bought some and some Polish saurkraut too! Can’t wait to try them! I love reading your journal reports, as they bring back great memories of the trip! Even with all the little calamities it was an awesome adventure with an awesome gang! Now working on trying to organize my pictures! It would be fun to have a cycling reunion one of these days! Happy healing Merrily

Hi Patrizzio, thank you for the email. We are glad to hear you feel better now and back home in the beautiful Okanagan. You had good luck meeting Ulrike, after such an experience! Happy Canada Day. Stay well. Happy Trails, Carol & Tom Hello Patrick, I was just thinking of emailing you and asking where the hell you were and what you were doing? What a crazy adventure you have had!!

Oh boy! What a nightmare! It hurts just to read about it. But, not all bad, huh? Ulrike Blaschke makes me think of the Wim Wenders movie "Der Himmel Über Berlin"/"Wings of Desire". Speedy recovery, Patrick, and I hope to see you and Corinne on the island before summer is over. Buona fortuna, Marcello

Dear Patrick and Corinne I knew something must be really wrong. I had thought of contacting Corinne just in case but then thought that was a bit much as it would worry her. I said to Colin tonight that I was going to email to just see if I could get a response.

And then what do you know--an email from Patrick Dunn. Thanks for sending this account. Really feel for you--my God you are so lucky to be alive. Pneumonia is very very serious and it would seem that your system was drastically compromised. I am truly glad that you got to a hospital and that you encountered individuals who helped you so much. People for the most part are truly excellent. You need to rest and recuperate--make sure you do!! Thank goodness Corinne was able to fly to Berlin to rescue you. I will write a better note tomorrow but I want you to know I did so appreciate hearing from you.
Lots of love for now Jo-Anne


Hi Patrick, Wow, what an experience you’ve had! Actually you are a very lucky relatively old man -Pneumonia can readily finish us off! Also you have an amazing wife; you should consider yourself very lucky on that point too.

I (Bill) was just about ready to write you when this shocking news came in from you. How are you feeling now? I was going to remind you that you and or Corrine would be welcome to stay in our spare bedroom which you will find very comfortable. I remember that you were arriving from Europe on Wed July 10th and were going to stay in Vancouver through the Folk Fest the following Sat & Sunday. Denise is still having her eye surgery on Friday so we would prefer to be on our own on Thur Jul 12th and Fri 13th nights. Or we would like to have you for dinner on anther night if you are available. Of course I don’t know your plans now so let me know.By the way, are you still having your shoulder(?) surgery on July 26th(?).

There were some points in your epistle that I was not clear on, so when we get together we’ll resolve them. Denise & I just got back from a month in France and England; there was a river cruise plus a lot of visiting the rellies in the UK. Everything went very smoothly except I may have buggered up my back pulling out blackberry vines in Jennifer’s back garden plot.

Glad to hear that you are giving your liver a rest -right now, because it’s wine-o-clock, I’m enjoying a Sage Hills rose. If you haven’t visited this winery you should go -it’s a beautiful spot with really good wines. Just not of Summerland. I’ll miss the OK Valley this summer as we decided to visit elsewhere for a change. So we are visiting Cortez Island which is lovely very rural spot near the entrance to Desolation Sound. We’ve got a beachside cabin there. Really looking forward to seeing you guys and hearing about your adventures. Say hello to Corrine for us cheers, Bill & Denise.


Hi Patrick I hope you are on the road to recovery. I was sorry to hear about all your troubles and the story of your “Good Samaritan “ , Ulrike, is quite uplifting . Why she would help a scruffy looking, beaten up, old tramp like you is remarkable! ( and give you money). I’m sure a bit of Okanagan sunshine will help to quickly cure your pneumonia.
 

We had a lovely time at sandy beach lodge, although my wine tasting was somewhat limited, due to excessive amount of babysitting. We had to rent three cabins this year to accommodate the mob, but everyone had a great time and it is fun having us all together. I did manage to visit a few wineries, and picked up my summer case from Tera vista, and had a good chat with Senka,. I really enjoyed the wines from moraine winery and joined their wine club , to buy their red wines twice a year. Also bought wine at van western, nicol, Bella and a rather expensive cab franc at poplar grove. Enjoyed a lovely, albeit pricey lunch there , and also at lake breeze. I think I could quite happily live in Naramata, I love the slow pace of life and the fact that very little seems to change year to year.
 

My sister Rosie and husband Al are visiting in September, so I have booked a cabin at sandy beach lodge for four nights from Monday September 17th, so hope we can see you and Corine then. I have been playing pickleball with Ray banks on a regular basis at the kits community centre and had some great games whilst at Naramata, ( we marked out one the tennis courts with chalk ) but I over extended myself playing with the three boys ( thought I was thirty again ) and pulled a muscle in my calf and have been hobbling ever since.
Polly seems to play bridge about three times a week and I am left to watch Netflix. I think Netflix is amazing and I am working my way through all the British police dramas. All good here and we are now in town for the rest of the summer. Cheers, Mick










No comments:

Post a Comment