Sunday 24 June 2018

HazMat Mask and Gown Blues: Tuesday, June 19th!

 I shall live badly if I do not write, and I shall write badly if I do not live. -Francoise Sagan, playwright and novelist (21 Jun 1935-2004)



I was up at 6:45 am to have a quick shower and then dress for a sono exam I had a 7:27 am! Hard to believe but I had to wait for the wheelchair transport as it came almost half an hour, or more, later than scheduled! 



 What a nightmare as I had to wear my HazMat gown, along with rubber gloves and a face mask. Horribly hot and uncomfortable but at least I was able to be out in the fresh air as we moved between campus buildings. Once at the unit, I had to wait for about half an hour before the doctor actually started the examination. She was finished in about twenty minutes and then her colleague did much the same again. When this was over I wiped the gel from my tummy and the helpful assistant there put me back in my suit. As soon as I was back in my room I tore off my face mask and very pleasant technician who has been doing various things, since I was admitted, helped me out of the suit. What a relief! About half an hour later breakfast arrived but I couldn’t face the fare. Fortunately, I’d saved a rice pudding dessert from yesterday so I ate it. Not bad given what else was available.  


As the prospect of being released, (at this point I have no idea when), will soon become an issue, I’m hoping to see if there is a medical social worker I can talk to. I need to confirm that I can travel to Hamburg with my bike and then on to Aarhus. It would be wonderful to be forearmed with such knowledge, Dear Reader!

News Flash! I received a phone call from Canadian Consulate in Berlin! Lady Dar had contacted some department in Ottawa and Eva was now calling to see how she could be of assistance. I explained I could not make any external calls from here so if she could contact Blue Cross to ask them to call me so I could give them details of various hospitalizations, etc. As well, I have now decided to fly home from Berlin so I needed to know about those arrangements, plus having my bike/baggage at Berlin BH sent to Aarhus. Asked her to contact Lars, manager at BHBH. 




Also asked her to let Lady Dar that she had been in touch. Great development and I now feel I’m getting somewhere, even if I will still be in hospital until Sunday, June 24th, I think this is the right decision, since any future European travel would be under the possibility of a relapse or recurrence of the pneumonia. Finally had it confirmed by one of the doctors on the medical team that that is what was wrong with me, nothing to do, directly with my two falls. I have an intuitive feeling that on the last day’s ride to Nowy Tar, the heat (30 +/- C, perhaps even a few degrees more), and the three long, hard pulls, with full panniers, 9%, 6% and 7%, may have set my body up for the beginning of pneumonia. While I felt more than pleasantly tired by the time we reached the town, I had no inkling that worse was to come. 

The day after we visited The Salt Mines and it was reasonably cool underground. I didn’t feel even slightly uncomfortable but perhaps the chill did not help. Next morning, Sunday, June 10th I woke at 5:30 am, completely soaked, the sheets cold and clammy from my sopping skin. I knew this was not normal but, if anything, put it down to a touch of food poisoning, Pat, one of The Sunshine Goils, complained about during our farewell dinner. I had very little appetite then and perhaps this was the pneumonia beginning to rear its ugly head.


Spent the day trying to rest as best I could as well as trying to refine my account of the past week. I am starting to have a bit of an appetite so that is a positive development. Wonderful news was that I actually was able to talk to Lady Dar. Maggie managed to figure out, from my message, which hospital I was in and so let her know. At least everyone now knows my situation and Cora Lee is working with Blue Cross regarding hospital stays, etc. It sounds far-fetched but situations always seemed to keep me from contacting them earlier. One step at a time! It was so lovely to hear My Darling’s voice even is she was scolding me. She will try to call tomorrow. What a blessing out of the blue! 


Just talked to Patrick and the Canadian Embassy is now involved and will work to get him home. He will not be released until Sunday or Monday and then it sounds like he will go to airport and fly to Penticton. The embassy has also been in touch with Maggie in Denmark to ship his bike and other things to her. Patrick is bored and has asked embassy for some English books. I will phone him again tomorrow but feel better now that I've spoken to him a couple of times. He sounded more like his old self. Love to all, Corinne
 

Good evening Corinne, This sounds like good positive news. We will wait to hear more on his diagnosis once Patrick is safely home. I am suffering from shingles at the moment so sorry if my responses have been brief. Reminding me that old age sucks but at least it is better to get it at my age rather than 80 plus! Off to Spain tomorrow for Andre’s birthday celebrations and hopefully some R & R - always jobs to do when you are at home even though I know I should be resting.

We will call you when we are back in Chabeuil for an update. Patrick left a bag here and I found a shirt and underwear not belonging to Andre in the wash - whatever he wants back home we can bring back to Vancouver/Penticton when we are over in the fall. Much love to you both, Rosemary XXX Thank you for update. Sounds as if he is in good hands. Being bored is a sign of increasing health. Things will be alright with him. Much love, Maggi 


No comments:

Post a Comment