Sunday 22 December 2019

Kid Chelene and the Cedar Kindling Blues: Sunday, December 22nd!

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult to each other? -George Eliot (pen name of Mary Ann Evans), novelist (22 Nov 1819-1880) 


Kid Chelene had very kindly agreed to take me to collect some kindling from one of the sawmills off Green Mountain Road, not far past the intersection of Fairview and 97, this morning. Usually, there is a large pile of cuttings but this morning pickings were rather slim. Still, we manage to collect a reasonable amount of wood and then drove back to Burns to off-load our haul. Didn't take but a few minutes to stack it atop rest of fire wood I have "curing" and then he headed out to to a bit of Christmas shopping. 

Day was extremely mild and since there seemed little threat of rain I decided I'd go for a ride while weather allowed me to do so. Was suited up by 11:30 am and set off. Knew wind was out of the N at between 13 km/h to 15 km/h so decided Crescent Beach was to be my destination. This being the case I followed my route regulare until I hit the highway, first stopping at Red Wing East for some added distance. Head wind wasn't too, too bad and I was soon doing some dipsy-doodling around the parking lot at SunOka Beach so that I had logged 26 km by the time I was on Wharf Street in Trout Creek.
 

From previous rides I knew I could add another 7 km to the clock by the time I reached the bike path a the northern tip of this community. My only concern was that the dedicated bike-way might have been closed for the season, following the snowfalls we'd had over last few weeks. Pleased to see the gate was open when I reached the start so I sped along, towards Lakeshore, and was soon past Peach Orchard, making my way to Crescent Beach. More protection from the wind here, than along 97, so I was soon in Crescent Beach, itself, and with a quick extra loop of the development I was ready to retrace my steps with 41 km now on the clock.

Having the wind at my back helped push me along so I had high hopes for a reasonably "high" AVG by the end of the ride. Once I'd threaded my way back through Trout Creek I only had a couple of short dipsy-doodles to effect before the light changed allowing me to cross 97 to continue on Johnson, past Summerland Heritage Cider Company, noting the new construction is well underway with the building now completely enclosed. Back on the 97 with 59 km under my belt so I knew I was well poised for my goal: 72 km. Usually add one km to any given ride whether 50 km, 60 km, etc., but decided I'd use my age as new base for a given ride, time allowing, of course.

Sailing past Kickinee I noticed that the two gorgeous white swans I'd seen on outward leg were not swimming thereabouts. Nevertheless was pleased to have seen them earlier as they are such lovely, lovely creatures. Didn't even need to do any loops of Red Wing West as I had 69 km on my trusty odometer when I reached Westminster just below Power. Once there it was smooth sailing all the way back to Burns although I did need to do a loop of Haywood and Burns to push my distance just over the 72 km mark. Extremely pleased that my AVG was just under 19 km/h. Inching my way towards a 20 km/h AVG, Dear Reader! Hip Hip Hooray!! Cheers!!! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4359554407#.XgAbI0eRy3Q.email

Hello Pre-Christmas Bridgers! As discussed, last Monday, those who are free and interested, will congregate at 611 Burns Street, anytime after 6:30 pm, December 23rd, to bid and enjoy some pre-Christmas camaraderie and cheer. 

So far it looks like one table but we certainly welcome any others who feel like a bit of bidding with a glass or two of holiday hootch! Until domani. Cheers, Patrizzio! Beautiful photo! Hug for Rowan from uncle Aart. Aarturos See you tomorrow. Dianne See you tomorrow Susan Hi Patrick, Thanks very much for the invitation. As usual it is very nice to be with you and other players. We are very busy before Christmas, so no time for bridge this week. But, obviously I have a time to wish you all the best for Christmas and the New Year. May all your wishes come true! Cheers. Mike

Pic: Rowan James and his Mom open Two-No Trump!Can’t make it sorry. Should be a grand slam for mam and baby Have a great Christmas. Theresa Hi Patrick: I am having my annual Christmas Dinner on the 23rd with Annabelle. Sorry, no can do bridge. Dame Judith

Hi Christmas Turkey Woman! Sorry you both cannot join us but your dinner sounds wonderful! Happy Christmas! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Pat and Corinne, Congratulations on the birth of your precious grandson!
And Chloe looks so happy, and obviously a natural at handling babies! He’s a Bonny lad....so glad to hear the red hair has been passed on!

We are also enjoying our first grandchild, as you will have heard, little Emily was born in March and currently hanging out at the Banks residence getting a lot of attention from doting grandparents, aunties and uncles.

I am sure you also heard we built a laneway house in the back for Chris and his wife. (They are paying for it, we just facilitated it!) It is lovely and already it has proven to be helpful to have family nearby. I will attach some photos along with these Christmas greetings. Have a lovely special Christmas with your new member of the family. Best wishes, Sylvia 


Hello to Fellow Proud Grandparents! Thank you so much for your Christmas greetings, best wishes and wonderful photos of Emily. She certainly looks like a happy lass. How marvellous to have her and Jenny home for Christmas. Yes, I did know about your recent venture into high-end real estate!
 
In fact, I drove by in October to say hello but found nobody at home. Took the opportunity to snap a few pictures to show to Lady Dar. Really makes sense and am so pleased that everything has worked out so well. I suppose The Constant Gardner only agreed as he wanted those fabulous new raised beds! [Thanks for your earlier message, Raymondo. Great ride yesterday, so trust you are logging the miles, living in such warm climes!] Must away as I'm getting ready to make borscht, [Did you make your fabulous cake this year?], with ChloĆ« after she does some last minute Christmas shopping. Happy Christmas to one and all and a Healthy New Year!  Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Banks' Fabulous, Fabulous Community Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment