Monday 7 May 2018

#5 Ittigen Wisteria Blues: Monday, May 7th!

Convulsions in nature, disorders, prodigies, miracles, though the most opposite to the plan of a wise superintendent, impress mankind with the strongest sentiments of religion. -David Hume, philosopher, economist, and historian (7 May 1711-1776) 


Busy at garden central. George and I power washed front deck on Thursday and cleaned garden up on Friday which required 8 garbage bags and wheel barrel full of raspberry canes. Saturday George and Barb went into the city and I set deck up and took chairs out for back near bbq. Have BBQ twice now and had a cry thinking of all the talks dad and I had sitting around the bbq with a glass of wine wine.

Pam arrived around 3:30 and we set on deck till it got too cool. I had walked to store which just opened for the season and to lumber one for the paper and some wine earlier. Water bombers were going back and forth to the lake so must be a fire somewhere as it is very dry here. Up so far by myself, as Mom and Pam stayed up to watch end of hockey game. Jets were winning when I went to bed. Pam going into city this afternoon and will come back out next weekend. Give my love to all the Swiss. Hugs Lady Dar Off to get my tea out of the microwave an new tea drinking tradition!!


[“No adverse effects on the nose, throat and sinuses of the group from smoking Chesterfield!” (gobemouche, figurative)

Photo: Stanford Research into the Impact of Tobacco Advertising] 
Hello Master Gardeners, et al! Lovely to hear about life in Ace Bay! You and Girorgio sound pretty busy. Did Jets win? Had quite a trip to Bern. [Details to follow when I've time! I'm sure everyone can hardly wait!]

I arrived in Bern, as scheduled, yesterday evening and Heinz collected me at the station. Spent a lovely evening catching up. Given their schedule, and mine, it would work best for everyone if I move camp, to Ortschwaben, to stay with Anna Maria and Rudenheimer, on Wednesday, May 9th. Heinz has very kindly offered to drive me there. 

Eveline, Heinz and I will go into Bern around 1:00 pm today, to do a bit of strolling around downtown. I also need to make a train reservation for Friday, May 11th as I need to be in Brno for Saturday, May 12th as my bike tour starts the next morning. We hope to connect with Fiona while downtown. Eveline has a class at 4:00 pm but Heinz suggested meeting Fiona for java or an apperativo, around 5:00 pm, if that might suit in terms of her work hours. If this is not possible they have invited her for dinner tomorrow evening here, if she is free. 

[Your 🌷 ❤️] Simon is working in a clinic in Basel and leaves Bern at 5:30 am to get there in time for rounds, etc. He will come for dinner this evening, around 8:00 pm, only time he can make it, given his horrendous schedule. He has just be awarded a research position at the University of Copenhagen for a project, Imaging of Perforating Scleral Vessels, for a year, starting on July 10th. All the family will move! If timing works for Sabina, this afternoon, we might be able to pop by their flat to see her, Lia and Max. 

Weather was absolutely gorgeous all the way from Valence to Bern and continues so today. Must away as we are off shortly. Both Eveline and Heinz were delighted with your wishes and asked me to send theirs in return. Eveline loved the tea towel and 
had a difficult time choosing a colour as she was delighted by all of the different designs. Fondestos to one and all. Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! Pics: Upon arrival, 
Moët & Chandon for the visiting Canadian Freeloader! This morning!
  
[Chloe , you are a much better gardener than you are a snow shoveler!! You better get the hose and water! Xoxo]

Hello Anna Maria Tremonte and Rudi Rudenheimer! I arrived in Bern yesterday evening and Heinz collected me at the station. Spent a lovely evening catching up. Given their schedule, and mine, it would work best for us if I came to Ortschwaben on Wednesday, May 9th. Heinz has very kindly offered to drive me. If this is still agreeable please let me know what time might be convenient to arrive. This is his mobile number and the house number. This is the number I have for Rudolphino and just to be sure of your street address, this is what I have so if you could confirm that this is current, and phone number is one to use, it would be much appreciated.


Again, my schedule here is pretty flexible so whatever works for you is fine by me. Eveline, Heinz and I will go into Bern around 1:00 pm today, to do a bit of strolling around downtown. I also need to make a train reservation fro Friday, May 11th as I need to be in Brno for Saturday, May 12th as my bike tour starts the next morning. Looking forward to seeing you both. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Darling Fiona! I arrived in Bern yesterday evening, as scheduled, and Heinz collected me at the station. Spent a lovely evening catching up. The three of us will go into Bern around 1:00 pm today, to do a bit of strolling around downtown. Eveline has a class at 4:00 pm but Heinz suggested meeting for java or an apperativo, somewhere in Bern, around 5:00 pm, if that might suit in terms of your work hours. If this is possible he asks that you suggest a meeting spot convenient to you. You can call or text him. If not possible today, they have invited you for dinner tomorrow evening here, if you are free. I will be going to stay with friends, Annemarie and Ruedi, in Orstschwaben on Wednesday and will be there until Friday when I will catch my train to Brno. I do hope we'll be able to connect, at some point, Fiona. Looking forward to seeing you whenever that might be. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Spent a lazy morning chatting at the table over a tasty breakfast. I started with a cold boiled egg but Eveline insisted I have another warm one so a few minutes later she popped another boiled egg on my plate. Rest was a typical European breakfast, as I've come to know it, with bread, cheese and salami. Couple of cups of coffee and it was almost 11:30 am before we knew it, so much to tell and talk about. Over the course of the conversation we had to decide what to do as we hoped Simon and or Fiona could join us for dinner. AS well, I wanted to go to the train station to reserve my ticket to Brno. Eventually after phone calls and texts it was decided Heinz and I would head into town, with the car, while Eveline would do so, on her own, to attend the dance class she had at 4:00 pm.

We adjourned around noon as we planned to leave around 3:00 pm. I went back to my room to continue digitating and around 1:30 we enjoyed a lovely lunch of Eveline's cheese tarte, followed by a tasty slice of her plum tarte. More stories and visiting and then close to 3:00 pm The Lads set off. Heinz parked at the train station and we stopped at a Swatch Kiosk to find out if my watch crystal could be replaced. Watch works fine but small crack, after I droppe dit on the concrete floor at Harbour Terrace, four or five years ago now, makes reading date disply, difficult, if not impossible. I just thought I'd see what could be done if it was quick and easy. Turned out that this model was produced in 2000 and company only replaces parts after 2005. Young saleswoman was very helpful, having to look up model in a large binder, comparing my watch to various pictures, etc., so we thanked her and went to see about my ticket reservation.

Had to wait a few minutes until our turn came up, much like process in Geneva, but when we went to the agent it turned out to be an extremely friendly and wonderfully competent young woman who could speak excellent English. (She often spoke Swiss German to Heinz, the more quickly to explain certain things.) Initially I wanted to take the night train on Friday evening but we discovered that no bikes are allowed on these trains. Next best thing, due to heavy weekend traffic and coming holiday, (XXX), was to leave Bern at 4:21 am on Saturday morning! [Haven't yet figured out how to get to station as I'll be staying with Famiglia Bartlome, Nadienka's parents, by then. If I can't blackmail Rudenheimer into taking me I'll have to ride!] This is actually a better option, (other than ungodly departure hour), as I wil have plenty of time to change trains in Zurich and Vienna, [8 hour stretch, longest of journey], and will be in the same car as my bike for that portion. Bikes need a ticket, (CHF 20), in Switzerland but not in Austria or the Czech Republic), and a reservation! My Eurail pass entitles me to First Class so once I have my bike stored I can move there if I so desire. Will wait and see how crowded it is. Wifi in both classes so doesn't really matter from that point of view.

Anyway, really pleased with reservations, etc. I had to pay and additional CHF 15 for those bookings so I asked if I could pay in British pounds. I knew I probably could, (again, based on bike ticket in Geneva), and as we hadn't stopped at a Currency Exchange beforehand I gave the agent £125, all of my Sterling. I understood I wouldn't be charged a fee for this exchange transaction and I needed/wanted some Swss Francs for my stay. When the agent returned with the money she very carefully showed me the rate, what amount I would receive, pointing out a transaction fee was not charged, I said I was sorry that now she wouldn't be able to afford to go out dancing this evening. We all laughed and Heinz later told me that it was highly unlikely that a local would have even imagined making such a comment. Earlier when she said I could move back and forth between First and Second Class I suggested maybe I would sell my Second Class reservation, before getting on the train in Zurich to pay for the reservation service charges. She could not keep from laughing out loud and agreed this was a novel idea.

When everything was booked she explained steps in my journey, platform, times, etc., put my bike ticket in a plastic folder with a loop, the easier to attach it to the frame, and we said goodbye. I thanked her and complimented her on her more than friendly, efficient service and said I looked forward to seeing her in Brno! She seemed very pleased and I certainly was.


Send all my love to the Swiss!!! And you D, sorry I’ve been so busy it’s AGM time, and when I do get home it’s kitten cuddles and watering!!!! Love you!!! Tell Heinz and Eveline they look great and garden as well. Wish I was there to give them both a big hug. More garden work today and moving of garden furniture out of storage. lovely and sunny here.
Lady Dar off to drink my tea!


Hi All, Jim is away for a few weeks so I will be leading this week's hike to Roddy Flat to view the most spectacular display of Balsam Root flowers in the known universe. This will be a relatively easy hike of about 4 hours. The Slow Farts are welcome to join us and could turn back at any point if that is too long for you.
Meet at the Summerland IGA at 9:00 AM ( Penticton people meet at 8:40 at Home Hardware for carpooling). Note: A simultaneous hike to Kilpoola Lake was being planned for this week but will be postponed to a later date. Peter
 


No comments:

Post a Comment