Sunday 13 May 2018

Test Ride Beltin' Out the 42nd Anno-Brno Blues: Monday, May 14th

Although a democracy must often fight with one hand tied behind its back, it nonetheless has the upper hand. -Aharon Barak, law professor, former President of the Supreme Court of Israel (b. 1936) 


Dearest Lady Dar! I send these anniversary wishes to you, each petal filled with love and abiding affection, undiminished since the very day I set eyes on your beguiling countenance! Grizzly Bear Hugs and Deep Kisses, Patrizzio in Love!

Happy anniversary to you! I’m missing you being here for an intimate celebration. Lying here at Pam’s lunch with Noreen then flying home this evening. Hugs and kisses back to you. Happy 42 Years Lady Dar Hi Lady Dar! Happy 42nd to you my lovely! I was humming Joni's, "A Case of You", during our ride today! I guess you'll be back in Vancouver when you read this. Glad you had a chance to see Noreen. How is she? I gather Rosita really enjoyed your visit, (from what Ayn said), so wonderful that you were able to spend time with her. Fondestos to you, Duhlink. When are you back in Penticton? Love to Chloë, Etta and Duke. Travel safely. Must away as I just finished final packing of my panniers and I'm sleepy. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi TNT! Trust you are both well. Certainly enjoyed the card. Thanks so much. Lady Dar is back in Vancouver now, after visiting Rosita for past two weeks. Not sure when she'll be back in Penticton. Fondestos to you, Teens, and best to Trevorino. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Kids! Trust everyone is pleasantly tired after today's terrific ride. Have included a few scribblings about ride itself, as well as the Garmin link, and the album I created from the snaps, I, (and others), took over the course of the tremendous outing. Onward! Domani and beyond! Cheers, Patrizzio! Map and Stats for ride! 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2698648303#.WvmlaSELjaY.email

Ride, Day One: I was up at just after 7:00 am to have a quick shower and then nipped downstairs o enjoy another feast of a breakfast, fuelling for the ride ahead. At 9:00 am we gathered in the hotel lobby and when everyone was ready we walked to the bike rental shop. Everybody except Crutch Woman and her attentive minder. Katarina lead the way, pushing her bike, as did I. Once at the store it took a bit of time as people had to try on helmets, find comfortable seats, request other adjustments to brakes, and the like, so it was about 10:15 am by the time we had a pre-ride briefing from Mother Katarina, about ride etiquette and how we would proceed out of the city, etc. So forewarned we headed uphill. Grade wasn't overly steep but I found the cobblestones a tad unnerving as my tires are pretty thin. Also, the tram tracks present an ever-present hazard if one doesn't pay careful attention. 

Still, it felt wonderful to be back in the saddle again and we soon found ourselves outside the Augustinian Abbey where Gregor Mendel formulated rules for the transfer of hereditary traits. Just a brief stop and then we were off again, passing the Starobrno Brewery, without stopping this time, eliciting grizzles and grumblings from Joltin' Jim who was more interested in hops than peas. Traffic wasn't too, too busy and for much of the way out of the city we first rode on sidewalks and then on quite nicely and clearly marked bike paths. We stopped for a few minutes on a small bridge which crosses the Svratka River and from then on, for quite some way, we were on a lovely bike path which parallels the river, or else side streets and roads until we crossed another bridge to follow a similar path along the opposite bank. 

Quite enjoyed this section as we passed side-by-each, private vegetable and flower gardens, which reminded me of some of the community gardens in both Vancouver and Penticton. Further along, anotehr bridge to cross and hen we left the Svratka behind to eventually follow a roller-coaster of a road along the lake/reservoir. Hills weren't too, too bad but I huffed and puffed a bit, I must admit. Just before we reached our destination, Hrad Veveří, we stopped at an outlook point which had an extremely well constructed, covered wooden walkway, leading to a small dock, as well as a set of concrete steps leading down into the water, the better to go swimming.

From here we caught our first glimps of the castle and a shortly thereafter we were at the base of the fortress. A number of brave souls scaled the steep slope to take a closer look at the ramparts but I was happy to dipy-doodle around the fairly large carpark. When the intrepid explores returned, we retraced our steps, stopping for a lucn brake at a small roadside concession. Since I had eaten a very large breakfast I wasn't hungry so after I took a  few snaps of the famished, took a couple of glugs of my fruit juice and as off. Wanted to try and log some extra distance to see if I could end up with 51 km by the time we were back in Brno. 

Anyway, I knew where we were headed, or thought I did. Missed the turn-off to the bike path and when road I was on started to look unsettingly unfamiliar I turned around and shortly thereafter I noticed the turn I should have taken. Didin't want the group to miss me when they set off so just did about four or five looks back to a look-out spot we'd not stopped at earlier. Took a few more snaps of the gorgeous views and then just kept looping back to correct side road until gang rode down the slight hill towards me. After that it was more easy riding along the river and then a quick side-trip to the Brno Dam. Stopped briefly for more picture-taking and then the last run back to Brno. 

Traffic became heavier the closer we came to the Old Town but we carefully threaded our way over the tram tracks and up the cobbled streets, weaving in and out of the pedestrians on the sidewalks when we rode thereupon, and by close to 3:30 pm we were back at the bike rental shop. Some of the gang needed work to their bikes as certain adjustments needed to be made, helmets exchanged for a better fit, etc. I was very happy with my bike, (except for a nagging squeak in the handlebar stem which I hope to address over the next day or so), so I thanked Katarina and bade my companions goodbye and set off to do a few errands.

I wanted to buy a hat, made of soft material, so I could pack it easily, as well as a small kitchen knife, to use when making sandwiches, etc. After a few rounds of sign language with various store clerks I found both and then made my way to buy a few more things for tomorrow's lunch, some sliced meat. Had already picked up a lovely bunch of radishes and cherry tomatoes at one of the stalls in Freedom Square so I only needed the meat and a bottle of Starobrno. Found both and bumped into The Sunshine Goils at Albert, doing their own shopping. However, I noticed they bought a six-pack of 1.4L bottles!

Back to the hotel for a quick java and then up to my room to have a shower and do last bit of laundry, hanging them on my small balcony, hoping they would dry by morning! After that, I nibbled on my sliced meat, cheese, buns and really flavourful tomatoes. For dessert I had anotehr cup of java with the last of the Swiss chocolate bar Anna Maria had given me when I left Bern. 'Ain't Life Grand when you are alive and well and knocking back a Starobrno, even a regular bottle, unlike some Babes I know! Again, Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thanks Patrick!!!! :):) this is awesome Hi Donaldo! Glad you enjoyed illustrated missive. Great good fun. Just finished final packing of my panniers. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi again, Katarina! This is message I received when I sent the album this evening! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank you Patrick! Where are you in your travels? Hi Patrizzia! Arrived from Bern, Switzerland, this past Saturday and had our first "formal" ridetoday. Leaving Brno tomorrow, to be back on May 25th, before I train to Krakow on May 26th! That two-week bike tour begins on the 28th. Trust all goes well with you and The Grumpster! Fondestos to you, Patrizzia, and Cheers to you and David, Patrizzio!

Patrizzio, I have given considerable thought to your dilemma of riding in strange lands on an unfamiliar bike. Here are some thoughts you might consider 1. Buy a rear rack and a pair of panniers. Install rack and attach panniers. Put a brick in each pannier to stabilize the unfamiliar bike. Load one pannier with: spare tube; tube repair kit; tire irons; valve core remover; #4, #5 & #6 hex; spoke wrench (in case you pop a spoke and need true the wheel a bit); a multi-tool is useful; finally, a bike repair manual.

Load the second pannier with spare clothes in case the weather changes, and a small bottle of brandy to consume while reading the Bike Repair Manual. 2. Purchase some foot straps. These thread through those low end flat pedals and go over your foot. You’ve seen them on my bike. Keep them *loose* - they are just there to keep your foot on the pedal, not to ensure you crack your head because you can’t get your foot out! 3. Take your camera Take pictures of the countryside; locals; castles; cathedrals, etc. I have lot’s of picks of people sitting around a table drinking wine!

YOU MAY HAVE TO TOUCH THE GROUND to do this. Fear not, the Earth does not burn in Europe! 4. Stop for coffee!!!! Most cafés will also serve you a wee dram of whiskey to compliment the cappuccino! The Garmin WILL pause as not to affect your average speed! REMEMBER, if you get a flat, you can call Lady Dar with your cell, but she won’t be coming to drive you home! Your long suffering, envious Vancouverite//bjp Branko 


Hi Ragin'! I do appreciate your riding advice BUT you should really direct it to Chris Fromme as he is struggling in the Giro! Dreaded Burning Ground is dreadful in Europe BUT I have asbestos socks! Even so, it pains me terrible to touch the earth! I do wish, however, that you were along as I think you would really love the riding, almost exactly as you prescribe, coffee, lunch, etc. However, I don't partake, in spite of your well-meaning advice, but dipsy-doodle ahead to log the miles! Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio/Il Conduttore!

Patrizzio.............THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR REMEMBERING ME IN YOUR THOUGHTS SO FAR AWAY. HOPE YOU'RE HAVING AN AWESOME TIME.
LOTS OF HUGS FROM HILDI :) 
Hi Von Bingen!! Trust you are well. Glad you enjoyed the card. Fondestos to you, Hildegard. Cheers, Patrizzio! Thank you Patrick for your card. Nice of you to remember me. Hope you are enjoying your travels. Gudrun xxx Hi Gudrun! Glad you enjoyed the card. Fondestos to you, Goody Goody, and best to Stefano. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

















No comments:

Post a Comment