Thursday 3 May 2018

Drain and Power Wash The Pool Blues: Thursday, May 3rd!

A prince who is not wise himself will never take good advice. -Niccolo Machiavelli, political philosopher and author (3 May 1469-1527)


Not up until 8:15 am. Must have been the delicious blackberry liqueur which Andre served after dinner, not to mention the two bottles of red before and during the meal! Andre also makes raspberry and pear liqueurs which are extremely tasty as well. However his "Crème de cassis" is my favourite. Believe, if the batteries he was charging yesterday are holding a full charge today he plans to drain and power-wash the pool and cut the large expanse of lawn in the front yard. I will play water boy, dumping the buckets he will hand up from the pool bottom, filled with any water that the pump cannot evacuate. With his tractor mower I'll just sit back and watch him mow the back forty! 

Hello again, Lake People and Want-to-be-Lake People! Have been meaning to send along this snap which Penny forwarded to me before I left MHB. Taken, in Penny's words:  Party in garden before Corinne’s fall! This was at the end of August in 2013. I'll leave the details to you, Lady Dar!!!

At the moment Andre is power washing the tiles on the second floor balcony. Day is quite cool, compared to yesterday so I'm not sure if we will get around to pool today. He mentioned he'd rather do it when sun is shining. Quite cloudy and overcast. Seems to be much the same in England as I heard from Jo-Anne Naslund, in Portsmouth and Brighton for a week before flying to Istanbul, that it was warm in the sun when it shone but very cool when it didn't or rained. Must away as time to stretch my legs and re-jig panniers. Pretty soon I'll just be travelling with a toothbrush and empty pockets! Fondest and Cheers, Away From Home, Homeless Patrizzio, with nobody to love him or fill his bike helmet with coins! Pics: Lady Dar in 2013! Andre power-washing.
 
Hello OpenThoughts Greeting Cards Person! Trust you and Wally are both well. When will you be having an exhibition at the National Gallery, Brenda Louise? Does Picasso help? I knew you were good but didn't realize you were challenging Hallmark! Ayn works for Crown Media in LA, part of the Hallmark Group so she'll be worrying about a takeover! She's the VP for Programming and Acquisitions for their cable channel so you might well have seen some of their Christmas movies. Bit too, too warm and fuzzy for me but a lucrative market. Real estate agent who sold our place in Harbour Terrace before we moved to Penticton, does some part-time acting and we saw him in one of the Christmas movies this year! Make a card out of this snap, taken today. I'm wearing some of the clothes and the hat I left, along with my bike, here in Chabeuil, at the end of October, 2013, and your stock will go through the roof! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Happy 21st Birthday to my youngest looking friend who can tell when it's going to rain do to the arthritis in her legs!!!! I love you G!!!! 🎂💃🍾💋😘❤️❤️😘😘💃💃🎂🍾🍾
Chloe Alexis Dunn shared a memory.
Happiest of Birthdays to my one and only G!!!! From 21 to 24 you never age!!! I love you so so much, from elementary school, to high school, travel, careers and moving away from one another your my Russian Spy and my ride or die!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Hello Sunshine Valley Folk! Trust you are both well. Sorry I've not been in touch for a bit but life continues to be a whirlwind, an exciting one but non-stop busy! Finally managed to leave Vancouver, for London, on Tuesday, April 17th to go directly to Truro, Cornwall for four nights before returning to London. While in Cornwall I went for a bike ride, using Derek's bike, revisiting places I'd ridden through during our house exchange in 2013. Also took two wonderful wonderful hikes with my hosts, Gayle and aforementioned Derek. Fondestos to you, Marilyn, and to you, Stanchion Man. All the best. Take care of each other. Cheers, Patrizzio!

[The view from our room.] PS: Former colleague, Jo-Anne Naslund landed in London day before I left for France but timing was such that we were not able to connect. She's off to Istanbul after a week in England, to attend an International School Librarians conference, than back to London for another week. Retired life is grand, as you well know! Hee Hee!!!

[I’m playing tennis now , I have injured my Supra Spinatus so I’m taking it easy -thanks for the email - keep me. Updated Ok I already had enough of your vacation! Lol Here’s what I’m dealing with. No leaves yet but it’s very beautiful ! Au Revoir Ski Why don’t you rent a bike?]

Bonjour Patrick! Comment ca va? I think your friend Andre will think you are a pain in the ass, looking for bike shops all over Valence. Is Andre your host as well as friend? I love the back yard, it seems like a large space for France, are you in the country? It sounds like you have a bit of juggling and organizing to do before, during and after your trip. Good think you have lots of friends. The wine looks good and the food sounds amazing. Good luck with the bike, I'm interested to know if you get it done by the time you have to leave, good luck. Bien affectueusement, Rhoda 

Hello again, Affectionate Pickleballer! Ça va bien merci! Et tu? As these things go, Andre's mother, Suzanne, had a best friend, Andy, who was in nursing with my mother in Winnipeg back in the early '30's. She lived but a few blocks from us in Kits and when my mother moved to Vancouver she and Andy would often visit Suzanne together. Before Mom moved from Winnipeg in 1989, I met Andre in 1978 as his friend, Jean Paul, worked, or claimed to work, (like you!), at the Curric Lab on Tuesday evenings.

At this time neither of us were aware of the mutual, close, close friend our mothers had in common. Mom kept asking me, after a visit to Susanne, if I knew her son as he worked at UBC. However she could never remember his first or last name! It was not until Andre rode by our house in Kits, one summer day, as I was cutting the front lawn, that I realized the conection. He said he was visiting his mother. Since then we have always been in touch and when he and his partner, Rosemary, bought the house in Chabeuil we have visited twice, both times with Flamin' and Sarge, 2010, first, 2013, second. This time, all by myself!


[The dog from the Mary Rose] House is a three story farmhouse, mansion really, with six bedrooms and huge pool, on ten acres, most of it farmed by a neighbour. Andre has a huge garden as I mentioned earlier, and it is located about five minutes, by car, from the lovely, small walled village of Chabeuil. It is, basically, in the countryside though there are many other houses fairly close by. I'm bemoaning the fact that my bike isn't ready as I love riding in this area. Anyway, Andre will phone bike shop tomorrow and see what progress is being made, if any! If it should be ready for pick-up tomorrow I will certainly go for a ride. Fondestos and Cheers, Ski, Patrizzio!

Hi again, Supra-Hyper Woman! Sorry to hear about your latest injury but if you have somehow damaged this relatively small muscle of the upper back why are you whining and still playing tennis? You ex-Curric Lab laggards are all the same: Lazy malingerers and grasping! Don't know why I still love you but I do!

I have a bike here and I'm not going to rent one even if I have to murder a few insignificant, unhelpful bike store owners. I might well end up taking a high end ride from the crime scene but I'm not going to rent when I can own!!!
[Queen's Hotel breakfast room.] On matters closer to your home, I dream of Bras d'Or Lake, every night until I fall asleep, ever since staying there in 2007. And you have the audacity to whine about trees with no leaves. If I had a pickleball racquet I'd smash it into your Supraspinatus, sixteen times and then kick you in the Gluteus Maximus for good measure! You need therapy, Ski. Come to Chabeuil and we'll fix you like you've never been fixed before! 

Dinner alone was something you cannot even imagine. Fresh asparagus from Andre's garden with ham slices from a piglet I butchered and smoked this afternoon. Lunch was an Indian soup, Laksa, which Andre made from the overlefts of yesterday's Thai Tom yum buy adding coconut milk. His own dehydrated fruit squares for dessert along with his Cherry Liqueur, two vintages, 2013 and 2015. Magnifique! Merveilleux!!Formidable!!! Had to hold the handrail when I came downstairs to go to bed. Must away as I'm going to need my sleep. Andre didn't manage to start pool project today so he will be full tilt boogie domani. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Lunch and Dinner today!

OMG that looks amazing ! That was such a funny email -I’m laughing myself to sleep! I hope your bike gets tuned up! I’ll think of you Sat. when I’m riding in the rain! Au Bientot! 
Rivetting as usual. My Opinel stayed at Charring Cross International. The diligent security officers worried I would use my 4 inch lockable blade to highjack the Eurostar and force the conductor to steer it toward Champagne. (they had all kind of confiscated opinels in a bucket... The company must have a deal with them). So now I have a new opinel in Qualicum and keep a spare one at my brother's in Paris. While in Chabeuil, you could ride your bike to Hauterives (44 km) to see the "Palais Idéal du facteur Cheval", if you have not already done so. http://www.facteurcheval.com/visite.html 

Also this address 74 km from Chabeuil in the Parc Naturel Regional du Pilat. My cousin's sister in law runs it. It's a B&B and a restaurant. And believe you me, you are in the best part of France for gastronomy (yes there is a definite hierarchy within France).Hi again, Brunello! Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. However, I simply do not have the time to visit any of the sites you suggest. I don't have my bike back yet so riding is not an option that might otherwise be. Hi again, Brunello! Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. However, I simply do not have the time to visit any of the sites you suggest. I don't have my bike back yet so riding is not an option that might otherwise be. However, on matters gastronomique, I think I'm experiencing some pretty good fare.
Cheers, Patrizzio! Right, Brno and Krakow are calling, then Denmark, it will be fantastic! Gotta love Europe in early summer.

Bonjour Patrick, Good to hear and see that you are having a good time! Mind you, we've never known you when you weren't having a good time. We are having a good time today, driving from Edmonton to Summerland. Have been visiting kids and grandkids. Happy summer! Marian and Tim Hello Edmontonians! Trust you are home now. Stay well. Take care of each other.  Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Almost Bonsoir, Unfortunately, we're still en route. Just passed Three Valley Gap. We had a lovely stop in Canmore (first time ever). We went to The Good Earth Cafe and had a great cup of coffee and the best croissant I've ever eaten (even better than in beau Paris). Then we made another stop at Tim Horton's in Golden, for a bagel with cream cheese. No comparison to the amazing soups that Andre has made for you. While we have been witnesses to some absolutely amazing scenery today, we are ready to be home relaxing with a nice glass of wine. We enjoy hearing of your travels! Keep in touch. All the best from the cousins.😎

Hello again, Cousin Cousine! (Did you ever see this movie, released in 1975, I believe.) Enjoyed hearing about your drive. Lady Dar and I have stayed in Canmore, coming back from Winnipeg. Probably ten or more years ago now. Went to a fabulous restaurant, (can't recall the name), quite near the west end of town where we enjoyed a marvellous meal. Wine list was exceptional without being through the roof. We've stopped at Tim Horton's in Golden, many times. I usually fill-up the gas tank while Lady Dar uses the bathroom! Hope, by now, you are safely home and on your second bottle, like we were this evening! Have attached album of second hike I took in Cornwall, along with Garmin link. Never seem to have any real success with using it on hikes, initially with group back home. Doesn't seem to record actual distance traversed, length of time, etc., accurately, but the map gives you some idea of where we've been.Fondestos to you both. Hello and best wishes to hiking gang when you see them. Guess tennis will keep you busy. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!





No comments:

Post a Comment