Saturday 12 May 2018

Katarina and The Mlýnská Alibaba Strip Club Blues: Sunday, May 13th!

A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. -Washington Irving, writer (1783-1859)


Thanks for the lovely card. Hope your first day of biking is fun. Hugs Lady Dar 
Hello Lattice Stainer et al! Glad people enjoyed the JL card. Jim, (see below), reminded me it was Mother's Day today. He had to be reminded by his wife, Judy, (see below), as we both thought it was next weekend!

Thanks for the lively thoughts. We are in Edmonton celebrating Anna’s first mother’s day. A lot of fun.  How we spent Mother’s Day!Happy grandparenting.
What is the baby’s name? Date of birth?I’m in Winnipeg, flying home this evening after 2 weeks with my mom. Patrick is in Europe doing bike trips,
Congrats to the parents, Hugs Corinne
Hi Julia! Glad you enjoyed the card. Let me echo Lady Dar's congratulations to you and Ross, as well as to the proud parents! Fondestos to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Up at just before 8:00 am after a very, very good sleep as I was up for about twenty hours before I hit the hay! I had brought up a mug of java yesterday evening so I sipped it while I looked at messages and sent some of my own. Downstairs just before 9:00 am to find a wonderful spread set out for the guests: boiled eggs, four or five different cold cuts, plus cheese slices; standard apples and oranges and bananas but also strawberries adn green grapes. Fresh, warm bread and scads of jams, including Nutella! The friendly, efficient owner would prepare almost any type of java from a deluxe machina, [The filter coffee is terrific. I drink it throughout the day as it, and fuzzy water, are both free for the taking.], so I had a cappuccino with my breakfast.

Chatted briefly with the Polish couple I met last night, when I was having a cup of the aforementioned java, before I sat down, and then the chap beside me and I laughed quietly as one of the guests came past us, carrying an impossible armful of fancy dresses. When she was out of earshot I whispered "Imelda", and then went on to explain the reference, noting that I teased Lady Dar by calling her this, at times. He understood immediately and said his wife mirrored this behaviour, especially when travelling. Turned out that Slavic is originally from the Ukraine, but now works, as an engineer, in Denmark, not all that far from Aarhus. He was in Brno to visit his mom, who was at the table, as well, as she lives here and is now a Czech citizen. When I mentioned that I had never visited the Ukraine he suggested we start with Lviv, about nine hours from Kraków, as I had mentioned that I thought Imelda wanted to see some of Poland as well. He said it is a wonderful place as the historical heart of the city, with its old buildings and cobblestone streets, survived Soviet and German occupations during World War II, largely unscathed.


After I said goodbye to my Ukrainian cousins Katarina arrived a few minutes later and we visited until four others joined us. Judy and Jim are from Summerland and their daughter, Danielle, and her boyfriend, DJ, live in Vancouver. We had to wait for almost an hour as the other three women, making up the group, were coming by train, from Prague, and weren't to arrive in Brno until 10:30 am.  When they arrived they were able to check-in and then we met each other: Two Pats, (Pat and Patricia), and Lorraine, freinds from the Sunshine Coast. After introductions were made we then went on a walking tour of the Old Town, led by Lenka, a close friend of Katarina's, both school chums in Bratislava, both working in tourism.

It's about a ten minute walk, from our hotel to the start or edge of the Old Town and Lenka took us to many of the principal points of interest, pointing out certain buildings, churches, squares, etc., placing each in historical context and answering questions. Very pleasant pace, at least for most of us. When Danielle came into the breakfast room I immediately noticed her crutches and the large removable cast she had on her left foot! Turned out she broke her little toe a few weeks ago and had to have the bone re-broken to put it in proper place! Anyway, she and DJ took a cab to meet us, as close as possible, at the Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul which stands atop Petrov Hill. After visiting the cathedral all the rest of the tour was basically down hill so she managed quite well. 

[A comment made by Pierre to me on Mother's Day Lol] More churches and squares and towers and spires and then we stopped for lunch in a lovely spot off Moravian Square. Since I had enjoyed such a large, tasty breakfast, I wasn't hungry so I went across the street to withdraw Czech korunas, [I thought country used Euros!] from an ATM and then joined group to have a thirst-quenching raspberry lemonade, with lemon slices and fresh mint, while the others enjoyed various salads, humus and gnocchi. Over the course of the lunch Katarina took us through the tour to come so we had a better idea of what to expect, although it mirrored, more or less, the outline she had provided six or eight month earlier. She had a package for each of us, with detailed, local maps for every ride, as well as pictures of many of the attractions we will visit.

After lunch we lost Danielle, DJ, Judy and Jim as they wanted to go shopping. Rest of us hoofed it back uphill to Špilberk castle and fortress a medieval building, along with the cathedral, that dominates the cityscape. Walk was absolutely gorgeous, up a reasonably gentle, wide cobbled path, shaded by large, over-arching trees. Some gorgeous views and Katarina pointed out Old Brno Monastery/Augustianian Abbey where Gregor Mendel, "beside his monastic duties, hybridized different varieties of pea plants and formulated rules for the transfer of hereditary units." Then into the castle itself, a mighty military fortress and subsequently a prison for the Hapsburg Empire as well as for the Nazis, to spend almost three hours, enjoying more breath-taking views of Brno while taking in the Brno City Museum which is housed therein. 

By just after 5:00 pm everyone was starting to flag so we headed back down to stop at the railway station to reserve our tickets for Saturday, May 26th, when all five of us will move to Krakow. After that group went back to the hotel but I headed for Albert, local grocery store, as I wanted to buy some fruit juice, vegetables, buns, meat and cheese for tomorrow's lunch on first, short ride, to test out rental bikes, as well as for a spot of dinner this evening. Some of group were meeting for dinner, at 7:00 pm but I wanted to work on the Czech Diaries as well as repack my panniers. Was 6:00 pm by the time I was back at the hotel and I was bushed. Just wanted a shower but had a couple of mugs of java before going up to my very comfortable room, #12, on the 2nd floor. Lorraine and Pat joined me, for tea, in the comfortable breakfast room and we chatted for a few minutes before we took elevator! Too tired to climb, but one floor, for me, while they are on 4th. Lorraine was staying in but other two were going out, at least at that point. 

Felt much better after I showered and changed, doing a few bits of laundry. Hang garments on hangers on my balcony railing to dry! Bought some tasty radishes and cherry tomatoes, along with three different sliced meats and two cheeses, so nibbled on this and that while I unpacked and folded and repacked, leaving what I won't take in my large knapsack, here at hotel, until we head to Poland. Listening to BBC podcasts of the Giro as I digitate and pack so quite enjoying a quiet evening after a pretty busy, full day. 

We will rendezvous at 9:00 am, after breakfast tomorrow, to walk to bike rental shop. We passed it today, on edge of Old Town. Everyone else, other than Katarina and I, will rent bikes. Danielle is hoping she will be able to rent an e-bike but will simply have to see what is available and how it feels, one way or another, without protective cast. Katarina and I will take our bikes as after the day's ride, (three hours round-trip), we will leave all the bikes at the rental store. Company will bus us, trailer bikes, about 40 km out of Brno where we will start tour proper. Panniers and camel-pack only for next two weeks! Must away as I need to pack up things on my bed so that I can go to sleep! Fondest, Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

Pics: Czech Chinese laundry! Lenka, (left), and Katarina, in front of our hotel, with Patricia in profile; interior of cathedral; entire group; Lorraine on way to castle; self-portrait in room of mirrors; Page from a manual on torture! Rental bike! View of Brno with Czech flag; ice-cream vendor.


Hi Nobi Wan! I assume you and your family may well be in Vancouver now. I trust you find the city as pleasing as when you first visited. For my part I'm in the Czech Republic now. Begin the first bicycle tour this morning.
Must away as I need to get ready. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank you for the lovely Mother's Day message! Even the cream tea is right - jam first the Cornish way! I forgot about the Canadian version until Krissy sent me a message and you too! Hope your travels are going well. X X x  Hi Gayle and Derek! Trust you are both well. Glad you enjoyed the card. Fondestos to you, Gayle, and best to Cut-and-Paste Man! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank you Patrick! It was a lovely day. The boys jumped into bed with me in the morning and I was given the gifts they made at school. Corben went for a bike ride with Douglas and Damian made French toast while I had a shower. He put four pieces on my plate and tried to make it look like a heart. Even put syrup and jam on it! Did an outstanding job. Made me feel like he has been paying attention to my years of efforts. 

Great service at church and then haircuts for the boys after. Went out for groceries but detoured to atmosphere and found a 25% off sale. So I managed to replace my 15 year old boots that I love but they smelled so bad this winter :(. Hard to find nice hiking boots that work in the winter but I found a pair of scarpa boots that seem like they will do the trick. Treated myself to some new shorts too so I think I am set for summer now. I hope you had a lovely day with your beautiful women! Xoxo Ariane 

Hello Fartograms, Big hugs for all the Mothers among you. A mother is the sun in every man's life! Tomorrow we will hike in the Kaleden SE Hills area. The views are always spectacular out there, and it is the right time of the year to do it. July would be too warm.  So, as usual, we assemble at the HH in Penticton at 9:00AM. Summerlanders should get together at the IGA parking lot at 8:40AM, then carpool to the HH in Penticton. Hope to see you there! Aart

No comments:

Post a Comment