Sunday 6 May 2018

Arrivedaerci Chabeuil Bern or Bust Blues: Sunday, May 6th!

Just as a cautious businessman avoids tying up all his capital in one concern, so, perhaps, worldly wisdom will advise us not to look for the whole of our satisfaction from a single aspiration. -Sigmund Freud, neurologist, founder of psychoanalysis (1856-1939)



Was up at just after 7:00 am this morning, (another bright day), to finish rest of packing. Will have a shower and then go upstairs for breakfast. Bought a few things to make sandwiches, for the train, yesterday, so will make my lunch and then I'm all set. Andre will drop me at the station about twenty minutes before departure and then I'm Switzerland bound! Stay tuned, Dear Reader! 


Busy at garden central. George and I power washed front deck on Thursday and cleaned garden up on Friday which required 8 garbage bags and wheel barrel full of raspberry canes. Saturday George and Barb went into the city and I set deck up and took chairs out for back near bbq. Have BBQ twice now and had a cry thinking of all the talks dad and I had sitting around the bbq with a glass of wine. Pam arrived around 3:30 and we set on deck till it got too cool. I had walked to store which just opened for the season and to lumber one for the paper and some wine earlier. Water bombers were going back and forth to the lake so must be a fire somewhere as it is very dry here. Up so far by myself, as Mom and Pam stayed up to watch end of hockey game. Jets were winning when I went to bed. Pam going into city this afternoon and will come back out next weekend. Give my love to all the Swiss. Hugs Lady Dar Off to get my tea out of the microwave an new tea drinking tradition!!
Dear Patrizio! I am extremely envious of your trip to France and Switzerland at this time of the year. White asparagus directly from the garden!! My Tante Millie in Laumersheim always prepared a dish that was Heaven on a plate - tender white asparagus wrapped in ham inside a delicate crepe topped with a divine bechemel sauce. To help wash this food for the gods (and goddesses) down, a superb Palatinate white wine - a Riesling or Gewürztraminer from our favorite local vintner, Knipset, who was chosen winemaker of the year in Germany, a while back. His wines were served on Lufhansa first class that year.
 

Your friend André has a beautiful lush garden. How soupy know him ? Man you've got friends everywhere !!!How long are you staying in Europe ? Have a safe and enjoyable cycling tour. Thank you for the tip re Alumni event. I will look into it. We are okay - busy - Amy working at Schmoozer's Café full time and I am still teaching a class of 30 West African refugees, most of whom are from DR of Congo and Djibouti. The weather is trying to be Spring and I'm beginning to think GARDEN
 

Since we won't be coming to the Okanagan this Summer,I will be able to plant a veggie plot. Looking forward to fresh basel, arugula, dill and succulent tomatoes. Sadly, no figs. But I have a wonderful juicy early Carrol apple.
Let's talk when you get back home. Ciao 4 niao ! Erika 


Hello Help Desk! Thanks for newsy message. Sorry we won't see you this summer. I'll be flying back to Vancouver on July 10th but since Folk Fest is on a few days later Lady Dar will drive down. Already have our tickets. We'll be back in Penticton on July 17th.Your garden plans sound terrific. White asparagus indeed. I'm envious of your Palatinate white wines! Am pleased to announce that I'll be taking the train to Bern at 2:00 pm today. You'll soon see that I could have used all the help that The Help Desk could supply! All the best. Fondestos to you and Amy. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Beautiful scenery -third one looks like somewhere Claude Monet would have painted at 4 different times of the day! You must be in Bern now - enjoy - a lovely town. Been there in 1968 with my cousin Carol when we were on a Swiss adventure. Have also been to Brno - vry hrd to spk in Brno - shrtge of vrbs.
I forgot to tell you that Ron and Andrea are coming to Winnipeg mid July.
Also Susan Pfeffer lost her husband in February. He was a very nice person - died much too soon. Heidi was able to attend the funeral..I don't know why HELP DESK is being tacked onto my reply address, but I'm glad my response reaches you. Staying till July 10 ???? Good grief Patrick Dunn !!!!! Have you abandoned your family ??? 🚴👍😊


Hi Luigi! Trust you are well. Saw some of the Book Club messages so thought I'd say hello. All the best. Fondestos to you, Luigi! Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patrick, Thanks for the interesting travel updates from Europe. Sounds as if you are having a great time. We are doing some travels - crossing the big ones off our list. August is Ireland - to visit some of the places my great grandfather come from - I’ve never been to Ireland. Cameron and I downsized from our Dunbar house 6 years ago and are living in a condo in the West End. We love the turn-key maintenance free life style! My daughter, Paula has 3 boys and they live on Bowen Island. They also have 3 cats, a dog and a snake. 🐍 Happy travels, Peggy

Hi again Peggster! Thanks for newsy message, Peggy. I'm envious of your trip to Ireland. I'd only been once, for a week, mainly Dublin, way back in 1971, but hardly saw anything. Corinne and I were in Dublin in 2010 and had a fabulous time as a theatre festival was on. We didn't know about it until we arrived! You might remember our daughter, Chloë, [Didn't she and Paula go to Byng together?], moved up to Penticton this past September. She is living with us until her townhouse in Sendero Canyon is completed, by end of August, we all hope!!! She is working for Pacific Quorum, a property management company. All the best. Fondestos to you, Peggy. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: A few pictures Chloë just sent of her townhouse.

Hi Chloë! I think you were at Byng with Paula! Peggy was a library colleague at UBC. Paula who Dad? Last name? Hi Chloë! Sorry it has taken me so long to get to this message! I'm not sure what Paula's last name might have been, when you were at Byng. I think it was probably "McBride"but cannot say for sure as I knew her mother was divorced and might have used her maiden name, "Wroblesky", Polish or Russian, perhaps. Anyway, just wondered. Love, Dad!

Hello Lady Patrizzia and Sir James! Trust you are both well. Am pleased to announce that I'll be taking the train to Bern at 2:00 pm today. I'm finally Switzerland bound! Stay tuned! All the best. Fondestos to you both. Love and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank you for accepting my friend request! How’s trip to Europe? Out visit to Vancouver is next week. Although you are not there, I’m really looking forward to it. Nobi Wan!

Hello All, The beginning of Moravia trip is almost here. I believe that you are well motivated for exploring a new country and ready for fun. Meeting time and place in Brno is: 10:00 am - in VV Hotel, Mlynska 8A, Brno We have a short meeting, introduce each other and then we go for Brno walking tour with a local guide. Our luggage we leave in a hotel´s luggage room as it is too early for check-in. I wish you a pleasant journey. See you in Brno! Katarina 

You almost made it to Barcelonne too :-) When I read your story about the bike shop, I thought we were plagiarizing Peter Mayle :-) The Pré-Alpes are an appetizer to what lies behind and culminates with Mont-Blanc Hi Brunello!
Trust you are well! I'm flattered that you compare me to Peter Mayle, even if only for plagiarizing him! Perhaps I'll try to ride up Mont-Blanc when back in France! Stay well. Fondestos to Chooch. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment