Tuesday 1 May 2018

Seach for the Best Bike Shop Blues: Wednesday, May 2nd!

In the presence of eternity, the mountains are as transient as the clouds. -Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)


Hello Tulip Girl, et al! Trust everyone is well. Great snap of tulip! Do Etta and Duke try to chew on its leaves? How go work and your studies? Presumably you, Chloë, will remember Penny's friend, June Burton, who, along with a friend, stayed in The Annexe, while we were away, and dropped something into the toilet! Anyway she was back from Amsterdam this past Monday and told Penny she had a wonderful time at the Tulip Festival. As did Gayle and Derek, back in Cornwall now.

Woke up at 5:00 am this morning, having had a deliciously sound, comfortable sleep but dozed off again and when I next awoke it was 8:00 am! Went upstairs to brew a mug of Instanto and then back down to digitate. When we said goodnight, around 11:00 pm, last night Andre said he would probably be up around 9:00 am. Then we were to take the bike into Chabeuil to see if it could be serviced there. If not, then into Valence to see what we could see. About 10:30 am we drove into Chabeuil to inquire about servicing at local shop. Unfortunately, owner said he was too busy to even take a look at what I wanted done. However he told Andre where there was a larger bike store in Valence so we drove there. Bike 26 looked promising when we went in but when Andre described work to be done first question was where was bike from. Apparently store policy is such that staff will only work on bikes purchased from their outlet! Even if I had bought it there work couldn't be done for two weeks.

Again, we were directed to another store which I caught a brief glimpse of when searching for Bike 26. Hadn't been sure if it was a cycle shop as there were only a few bikes outside. Anyway, we were back there a few minutes later and chap behind the counter was very helpful when we explained, (he spoke some English, much better than my French!), what I wanted. He said he could have work done by closing time on Saturday so I will make my train reservation accordingly. While I'm hoping, that by some miracle, the work will be done earlier in the day on Saturday, or perhaps a day or so before then, looking at train schedules I think I can catch a train at 5:49 pm in Valence to put me in Bern at 10:26 pm, four hours and thirty-seven minutes later, not too, too late for Heinz to collect me. I'd prefer to be in Bern earlier in the day but until I know when work will be completed my hands are tied as far as making a reservation. Anyway, I'm just pleased that work on bike is actually happening!  

After we dropped bike off we returned to Valence stopping at a fairly new wine store, Vinothentik, Andre had mentioned earlier when I asked where I might buy some wine for the rest of the stay. Was quite impressed with overall facility and selection. I picked up four reds, Andre two whites. Was absolutely delighted to find a bottle of 2014 Domaine des Escaravailles, 16.5%, which we had first been overwhelmed by in a fantastic, tiny, tiny restaurant in Paris, in 2010, (obviously an earlier vintage), with Flamin' and Sarge, when we were staying for a week or so in a small apartment two or three metro stops, [Rome Station], from Montmartre. 
 
Then to Lidl for some groceries and shopping done, home again. Once inside Andre found his asparagus harvesting tool and we went into the garden to pick some. At least he did while I photographed endeavour and took snaps of the plants already starting to grow. His fig trees have quite a bit of fruit on them and some of the other fruit trees have blossoms. Leeks are shooting up as are chives while artichokes are madly producing outer leaves. He is a very knowledgeable gardener although he admitted that he has had very little, if any, success with garlic. Found this quite surprising as we have had wonderful garlic from our modest raised beds, over the last two years, and the cloves we planted last November had healthy green shoots pushing towards the sky almost as soon as the snow was gone. Anyway, he makes good use of almost anything he grows and it is remarkable to eat the meals he produces. 

Today, for example, he whipped up some tapenade using the olives from his own tree in the front yard, picked and cured last Fall. We ate it with the delicious omelette he served for lunch. Asparagus wrapped in ham for dinner tonight so can hardly wait to try it as well as some of the wine I bought. 'Ain't life grand in Chabeuil!

Before lunch, he had a few things to do and I did a bit more unpacking of boxes I'd left in 2013. Hadn't remembered I'd left two pairs of biking shorts, [Thought I only left one pair.], as well as bright yellow cycling jacket. Haven't decided if I'll take it or the one I brought from Penticton. Latter has more pockets and a hood but former will make me more visible. Will have to decide, one way or another, as I need to have my panniers packed and ready to go, especially if Andre will be taking me right to the TGV station from the bike store, on Saturday. 


I had decided, when still in England, that I'm only going to travel, from hereon, with my two panniers and my large knapsack so I won't have to worry about shepherding the large bag I came with, [It has served me exceedingly well and I'm glad I decided to use it. I'll bring it back to Canada as I won't have panniers to worry about!], when having my bike will be challenge enough, as it is, boarding trains, negotiating stairs and the like. This way I'll be forced to travel as lightly as possible. Since I'm really not known as a fashion horse anyway, [Don't really understand why this is the case, Dear Reader!], this should be relatively easy and my "garb", whether for cycling or fancy parties, which already makes Lady Dar's eyes roll, will help keep me from being mobbed by cycle groupies! 


Must away as I want to start "thinning" items I will take and see how things fit into the three bags I have at my disposal. Also, Andre has asked me to help him with removing the pool cover and then draining the pool tomorrow. Task will go much more quickly with two of us, of course. Once the cover is off he pumps water out, into the field beyond his garden. However, he needs to fill buckets with what pump can't disgorge and it is easier if he passes them up to me to dump and them return them. He will also power wash the sides and bottom of the pool before refilling it. Right now he is recharging the device which powers the mechanism for rolling back the pool cover as well as the battery for his sit-upon mower. Grass, between garden and pool, is pretty high so needs to be cut but he wants to wait a bit for it to dry out. Seems it has been rather wet over last week or so. Fondestos, Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio
Pics: Vinothentik; fig tree and hunt for asparagus;  Boules, (Bocce in Italy), pitch which he was working on in 2013, completed after we left in October. I helped him move some of the rocks and stones as he was working on the walls when we were there. Sand is a bit too wet yet so it would be great if it dries out before I leave as I'd love a game, being the Lawn Toss Champion of Upper Kits that I am!!!               Hi Patrizzio!
The garden around the house of your friends look very nice. Good place to relax. I will reserve you a room for the night Saturday, May 12th. For this night you will pay directly to the hotel. The difference betweeen a single and a double room you can pay when you arrive. It wouldn´t make sence to wire it. Enjoy your holiday! Katarina 
 
Hi again Katarina! Thanks for reserving the room. Much appreciated. As well, thanks for allowing me to delay payment for single occupancy. With respect to my bike, finally found a cycle shop in Valence able to do servicing on my bike. Thanks again, Katarina. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Boules pitch. Sand is a bit too wet yet so it would be great if it dries out before I leave as I'd love a game, being the Lawn Toss Über Champion of Penticton that I am!!!                                Hi all, Sorry I am a bit late with this, but there have been a few question marks about hiking this week. We were hoping to go to Kilpoola Lake, but info tells us that there are problems with water on the access road. I tried our contact regarding Parker Mountain, and he tells me that his parking area and the roadsides are under water. 
 
We have made a decision! We will ramble in the hills to the south and east of White Lake. It should be fairly tame; we hope there are lots of flowers; we anticipate that water problems will be minimal. So, we will: -meet at 0900 at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (0840 at IGA in Summerland) -carpool and make our way to the parking area to the south of White Lake -explore the beauty of the hills and dales in the White Lake area -decide on a place for debriefing and coffee to follow. Interested in joining us? If so, I’d appreciate a heads up in the next day or two. Now for another important matter. I will be away for the Thursdays of May 10, 17, and 24. If you are willing to organize and lead a hike on one or more of those date, please let me know soon. I will provide you with the mailing list. Many thanks! Cheers, Jim

Dylan's latest adventure! The 76-year-old singer and Nobel laureate has joined with liquor entrepreneur Marc Bushala to turn a deconsecrated church in Tennessee into a distillery. Their Heaven’s Door Spirits – a Tennessee straight bourbon, a double barrel whiskey and a straight rye – will first be available in Tennessee.
 
Hi Colin! Trust you and Gail are well. Thanks for forwarding both articles. Fascinating about Dylan. In fact I tried some of George Clooney's  Casamigos Tequila, [Mentioned in article on Dylan.], when we visited friends in Sun City, after we returned from Costa Rica. I enjoyed it but as it was a Blanco I didn't like it as much as the $20 Kirkland Signature Tequila Añejo from Costco! When I left for London, on April 17th, I picked up a bottle of Bruichladdich's Bere Barley 2008, 50%, one I'd not had before. Unfortunately, Derek, my host in Cornwall, drank it all before I headed to London. Once here I picked up a bottle of Gordon & McPhail Highland Park Cask Strength, 57.9%, as a present for my host, Madcap, in Mill Hill Broadway. We managed to a large dent in the bottle last Monday night, day before I was to leave for France!
 

Earlier that day I was heading into London to meet Jamie Gairdner, [Did you know him? His father taught French at United. Jamie returned to England in the late '70's.], for a hello/goodbye visit before he went to a rehearsal for an amateur musical production, [Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat], he is singing in, a month or so from now. Before that I visited Gerry's Wines & Spirits, near Piccadilly Square to pick up a bottle of Talisker 57º North, named for latitude distillery is on and its cask strength. Had only seen it at Heathrow Duty Free years and years ago so was delighted to finally find it. Will be bringing it back to Canada so if you visit Penticton I'll pour you a snort.

I gather Lady Dar, aka Corinne, is having lunch with Noreen today. She flew to Winnipeg to spend two weeks with Rosie-The-Riveter, aka her Mom! For my part I'm alive and well and Freeloading in France! Now that I'm here I needed to find a place to take my bike to have it serviced serviced. I left it here in 2013 and it has not been ridden since. I will be on two, two-week guided bike trips in May-June. First in Moravia, wine region, out of Brno and then second in Poland, out of Kraków. Then to Denmark to visit close friend in Aarhus. Back to Chabeuil to leave bike and then into Paris for a day or two before I return to Vancouver on July 10th. Lady Dar is busy marrying people but will drive in for Vancouver Folk Fest that weekend. Must away as Andre is calling, from upstairs, as he wants me to open another bottle of wine. Fondestos and Cheers to you both, Patrizzio! Hi Patrick Caol Ila in Gaelic. I kid you not:

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/sounds/caol_ila.wav



Hi Brunello! Trust you and Chooch are well. Thanks for forwarding pronunciation guide! Fondestos and Cheers to you both, Patrizzio! Hi Sun City People!Trust you are both well. A friend forwarded quite an interesting article about Bob Dylan's latest venture. If you read it:

<www.theguardian.com/music/2018/apr/29/bob-dylan-whiskey-heavens-door>

you will see that George Clooney is mentioned.
Fondestos and Cheers to you both, Patrizzio!  Thanks for the update! Glad you're having such a great time. I'm jealous! Cheers! R.

Dear Pat, Sounds like you’re having a blast so far 😊. Since Famiglia Lymann all have to work, the chances are very high that we’ll be around next week. Let us know when you get here, we would love to catch up! Hope to see you soon Nicole Hi Nicolina and the Rest of Hard Working Famiglia Lymann! Lovely to hear from you. Trust everyone is well. For my part, I'm certainly enjoying France. I'll certainly be in touch when I'm in Bern or else know for sure when I'll arrive, depending on completion of work on my bike. Aside from a general tune-up I need to have a pannier rack installed. As part of my carry-on luggage I brought one, specially designed for the model of Montague folding bike I bought in York, in 2013, as I was worried I might not be able to find one in England or France, given time I had  before my first bike trip was to start. I didn't need to use panniers then as we were always staying in a house or, later, on the canal boat, with Flamin' and Sarge and two other couples. When you have a spare moment, in your busy, busy twelve hour, with no breaks, working day, poor darling, could you send me a number where I can reach you! Thanks. Fondestos to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick Thank you for your emails. We are enjoying our time in England--the spring greenery is very beautiful. Today we went to an amazing museum -so cool--it was in Portsmouth and it is the restoration of the Mary Rose which was one of Henry the VIII's galleons--an impressive vessel used in his battles with the French. However, because of a strange turn of events which they still haven't figured out totally the ship sank just off of Portsmouth. It was resurrected and restored by the University of Portsmouth and they have it now pieced together in an amazing naval museum in the dockyards It truly was a wonderful place to visit.


Following that we took a 22 minute ferry ride across to the Isle of Wight. It was an interesting ferry trip but without a car th ere wasn't much to see on the other side even after walking quite a distance.Tomorrow morning I want to visit their brand new D-Day Museum before heading to Brighton. We will travel by train to Brighton. Weather has been sunny, cloudy and rainy. Very much like Vancouver, warm when the sun is out and cold in the evenings. Then on Sunday fly to Istanbul. Enjoy your time in France I know you will. From Isle of Wight the French coast is just a few clicks away. Cheers for now. As ever, Jo--anne


Hi Isle of Wight People! Lovely to hear from you. Sounds as if you are having a wonderful time. Train passes through Portsmouth on way to Truro and I saw one of the university buildings, near the station, I believe. Mary Rose sounds quite likethe Vasa ship in Stockholm. Fascinating so must keep Henry's galleon in mind on next visit. Also D-Day Museum is of interest as well. You might well be describing the weather here in France. Hope continent warms up by the time I start my first bike trip in Moravia! Fondestos to you both. Enjoy Istanbul, a fabulous city indeed. Cheers, Patrizzio!

After a late lunch of salad and omelette, made with overlefts from yesterday's dinner Andre took a bit of a nap and I went downstairs to digitate and sort more of the items I plan to take for the rest of my travels. Will leave anything I really don't need and can't carry here until I return to leave my bike as I did at the end of the last trip. After an hour or so Andre was up and doing various odd jobs to make ready for the pool draining and cleaning. Before I knew it the time was just before 8:00 pm! 

Went upstairs to find my host beginning to prepare dinner. He had decided we would have the asparagus the following day as he wanted to make a spicy Asian soup using some frozen hake and prawns. I didn't realize that Rosemary is allergic to shrimp, etc., so he took this opportunity to use the seafood when she was not around. I opened a bottle of red and we chatted while he diced various vegetables, thawed the seafood and added the spices he favoured for this recipe. One of the other ingredients was bamboo shoots a supply of which he had in the fridge. It was fun just watching the soup take shape and after about an hour we sat down to simply delicious, steaming bowls of this pleasantly hot and sour, mildly spicy concoction, Andre's expression of Thai Tom yum. I had two brimming bowls!

After dinner we sat on our respective sofas and continued to solve the world's problems, our insight aided immeasurably by a tumbler each of 10 year old Aberlour, followed by samples of his home-made liqeurs: raspberry, pear and blackcurrent. His "Cassis" was my favourite although the others were nothing to sneeze at. By close to midnight I was ready to retire so bade Andre goodnight and headed downstairs to brush and floss before tumbling into my very, very comfortable bed. Slept right through the night, not even getting up to go to the bathroom. Must be the country air, Dear Reader!

Hi Judi and Hildi, too bad for us that you are both so busy. our next book club is not till May 31 st where we are reading The Lands of lost borders: out of bonds on the Silk Road. By Kate Harris. It really an adventure and a look at life decisions. We had another booked for June 28 but I propose we meet in September possibly on the 20th as everyone is too busy over the summer.
What do you all think? Cheers from Manitoba, Corinne
Hello Corinne: Hope you are having a wonderful time in Manitoba. I will TRY to make it for May if I can. I’m going to Nelson but should be back by then. September 20th sounds great. What book for then?????? So we can read it all Summer long!!!! I’ll definitely pop in over the Summer. Cheereo and Hugs to Everyone……..Hilda 😊 Sounds good Lou Corinne, Spet 20 is clear on my calendar.Sept. 20th would work for me too. judi

Hello Falcon Lake Mafia! Trust everyone is well. I see you are herding Book Club cats, Cora Lee! Buona Fortuna with that! Just to let everyone know there is still time to donate to the charity, Help Patrizzio In Europe, as he will really need extra cash to have his bike serviced! Fondestos to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: My job, as scullion, was to empty kitchen compost into a bucket, tied to a rope tied to the balcony, pulled up from ground floor, so as not to have to walk down two flights of stairs when kitchen pan was full. Chef Andre preparing Tom yum. Yummy indeed! Cassis hits the spot! Goodnight Andre!  

Hello Winnipeg! Trust you and Amy are both well. Had a notice from DMCI Alumni Association about a Big Band Dance coming up and thought of you. Fondestos to you both, Amy and Erika, and, of course, to all your felines! Cheers, Patrizzio!





No comments:

Post a Comment