Monday 21 May 2018

Mikulov to Hodonín via Breclav Blues: Monday, May 21st!

When I am asked, "What, in your view, is the worst human rights problem in the world today?" I reply: "Absolute poverty." This is not the answer most journalists expect. It is neither sexy nor legalistic. But it is true. -Mary Robinson, 7th President of Ireland (b. 21 May 1944)  


Good Late Evening Fellow Cyclistii! I trust everyone will sleep well after another marvellous ride. Don't forget to bring your passports if you plan on riding tomorrow as we might cross the border into Slovakia. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Today's ride:

Up at 6:45 am when my alarm went off. Went to bed around 10:30 pm the night before but as The Sunshine Goils, Trina and I had consumed four bottles of wine, (two white, both Jaroslav's Sauvignon Blanc, and two red, 2015 Vinohrad Zweigeltrebe, 12.5% and a 2015 Sovin, Cabbage, 13%), I slept pretty soundly. After packing most of my possessions, I showered and put on my riding gear and went down for java and a full breakfast, (two eggs, sunny-side up, wonderful bacon, bowl of tasty goulash soup, yogurt and a piece of pound cake, with my second cappuccino), as we were moving to another town, Hodonín, this morning and I needed plenty of fuel for the ride, with the extra weight of full panniers! Also made two sandwiches with the terrific sliced meats and cheese on offer. Most everyone else does the same as we usually picnic along the way, when group feels like stopping or there is a restaurant for those who want a larger meal.

Back up to  my room to finish packing and then we met in lobby before proceeding to pick up our bikes, stored next door at the gas station. Was about 9:15am by the time we were ready to leave and once we were on the road we followed, initially, the same route we had been on two days before when we had ridden to Valtice/Lednice to see the Liechtenstein Chateaux. We stopped, again, at the large sloping vineyard with poppies growing not only with the vines but also  between the rows. What an incredible sight. Then a bit of a climb up through a delightful tree-tunnel to stop at The Temple of the Three Graces, one of the many pavilions which dot the lands and estates of the noble Liechtenstein family. Took a bathroom break in the bushes behind the temple and was observed the whole while by a sheep, up on a small farm shed, jutt beyond the fence I was watering! Quizzical look on the animal's face but it didn't even blink an eye so must be used to such visits!

By-passing the turn-off to Lednice we followed a series of bike trails, (some sandy paths, some a tad muddy in places, some paved, some paved but whose surfaces were in fairly poor condition), and tertiary roads, making for the village of Sedlec after which we skirted a small lake. Next village was Hlohovec, followed by the larger town of Břeclav. Stopped here to take a few shots of the castle ruins there and then threaded our way through town, using quiet, residential streets. Back on a main road, 55, for a bit and as I was ahead I kept following it until I reached a gas station where I could circle and wait for the others. When they didn't show up, after a few minutes, I retraced my steps and Katarina was waiting for me, at an intersection, about a kilometre back. From next little while we were riding between wheat fields and rolling hillsides planted with vineyards almost as far as the eye could see. 

Daniella mentioned that it was around 28º C and there wasn't a shade tree in sight so it was pretty hot, especially as it was close to noon. Shortly thereafter, the bike trail ran close to the edge of a bit of forest so some relief for those who were feeling the heat. Not too, too much later we had to stop at a train crossing to allow a single car and then an engine, (each going in the same direction), pass before we could continue. A few minutes later we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. As I was not hungry I found out how long they would be, (45 minutes), and took off to explore. Headed towards another small village , Hrušky, according to a road sign. Once there I made a right turn near the centre of town to take a look at the local church and after I took a few snaps I continued on the same road. After and underpass for the same rail line we'd stopped at earlier it lead out into the countryside, more huge expanses of wheat fields on either side. Bit of steady but enjoyable climb into Týnec, the next tiny ville. 

Turned around at the edge of the town as it was about 12:50 pm and I needed to be be back at the restaurant by 1:15 pm. Also wanted to stop o take a few pictures of some of the houses I'd passed in Hrušky as I've been quite taken with the bright colours many of them sport. First time I encountered them in the Czech Republic I was immediately reminded of many of the delightfully painted houses in Newfoundland. Anyway, did just that and then made my way to rendezvous with the lunch crowd. Only three of group had actually gone inside while rest stayed outside to eat their sandwiches and such. Were back on the road by 1:20 pm and we followed almost exactly the same route I'd just ridden except after the underpass we made a sharp left to rejoin another bike trail.

By and large, this followed the train tracks, an embankment and fence, between us and the railway lines. Earlier, Katarina said that we had approximately 20 km to go, from the restaurant, to our destination for the next three nights, Hodonín. I was pleased to hear this as I had 51 km on the clock, at that point, so I knew I'd be able to log a 70+ km ride for the day. For much of the remainder of the ride, the surface was pretty good, and for a lengthy downhill stretch it was a wonderfully smooth tarmac, through a long, long tree tunnel, so quite lovely.  Passing signs or turn-offs for various nearbye villages, (Moravská Nová Ves, Mikulčice, Lužice), we soon reached the outskirts of Hodonín, riding by a gargantuan electricity generating station. Katrina though that lignite was burned at one time. According to a translated web site I found:  

The indebted company Lignit Hodonín sro, which was sold for bankruptcy, was bought on August 31, 2010 by UVR Mníšek pod Brdy. At present, Lignit Hodonín owns the last lignite mine in the Czech Republic. For the time being, the investor does not want to restore lignite mining in the near future.The company's plan for the future is the development and design of operations for the treatment of all types of waste (eg sorting and crushing with sequential biological and energy utilization), the treatment of liquid and hazardous waste, the establishment of a truck service and the construction of a solar power plant.

Not long after we were riding through Hodonín itself, past a small town square and a few blocks later we pulled up outside Penzion Reos. Once we'd parked our bikes in a covered space, next to an outdoor eating area, we were shown our rooms, all on the 1st floor. I think everyone was hoping we'd be on the ground floor as with the heat and distance we were all feeling a bit weary by then. At least I was. Anyway, we clambered up the fairly steep steps and given the keys to our assigned rooms. Must say that I've been very impressed with all of the hotels Katarina has arranged for us. The one here has but a single bed, (all the others had two singles pushed together), so the room, while fairly small, seems larger. It is extremely well appointed and I wouldn't mind having the bathroom at home.

After I'd unpacked I went for a quick stroll to the Coop store, (a chain one sees in most towns and villages), a few blocks down the street as I wanted to buy juice and fuzzy water. On the way back, I stopped in at a small bar for cappuccino on way back and enjoyed seeing Simon Yates win Stage 15 of the Giro. I noticed that Chris Froome is 7th in standings so it will be interesting to see final results. I listened to some BBC coverage a few days ago and one of the commentators mentioned that there is a possibility that he won't be riding for Skye in the coming Tour de France, even though he has won it four times. How the mighty have fallen!
 
Back at the hotel I bumped into Judith and she said that she had spoken to the woman at reception and had arranged to have the sauna heated up by 6:00 pm. I was keen to have one so I worked away on email, for about an hour, until it was time to go downstairs. Sauna is in part of the hotel not far from where our bikes are parked. Very nicely appointed showers and washroom. Sauna itself isn't overly large but could fit four or five people quite nicely. Just Judith and I so we chatted for about 15 minutes. An hour glass timer, configured for 15 minutes, is attached to one of the walls so we knew exactly how much time we were lobsterizing. Even had a water bucket with a drop or two of menthol so it was most pleasant as we perspired profusely. From time to time we'd take a cold shower and head back for more punishment.

Judith had had enough after a little more than 15 minutes so she took one last cool shower and went back to their room. I had worn the shirt I rode in today so after she was gone I washed it, and my shorts, in the shower and then wrapped a towel around my waist to have one last session. Probably spent about twenty to twenty-five minutes, in total, in the sauna, so felt quite refreshed and relaxed when I walked back to my room. Judith and Jim knocked on my door around 8:00 pm to see if I wanted to join them, along with Daniella and Donaldo, for dinner. Thanking them, I declined as I wanted to finish off most of the food I'd brought from Mikulov, as well as trying to put a dent in the backlog of messaging that I've simply not had time to compose and send. At any rate, I'm quite comfortable, sipping my fuzzy water, listening to BBC podcasts on the Giro and digitating away. Cheers, Patrizzio! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2715993903#.WwLgWpe_91E.email


Hi Chloë, et al! Just saw your post with The Sisterhood. When were you in Vancouver? I enjoyed seeing the 2882 number sign. Have been meaning to send two snaps that Nobi-Wan, [Hi Patrick, I went to Kitsilano area including UBC. Thanks to you, I could find Hotel Kits though the color has changed. The backyard where we played lawn darts reminded me of the old days. Tomorrow, I’ll go to Granville Island. Please look at my Facebook page. Have a nice trip, Nobi wan], sent to me a week or so ago.


I trust everyone here will sleep well after another marvellous ride today. Have to remember to bring our passports as we might cross the border into Slovakia. Must away as I'm pretty sleepy after the wonderful sauna. Love, Fondestos and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio!

Hi Dad, came to Vancouver this past Thursday of the May long weekend as mom and Sutherland’s we’re heading to Spirit Ridge on Friday. I had a fertility appointment Friday and unfortunately have to come back the 25th to have some minor surgery. I stayed at Wayne and Michelle's and will be leaving shortly. Saw Gaelan Friday and Saturday as you saw the picture and Robbie Sunday. Went to yoga or spin all days so that was nice just waiting to put towels in dryer then I’ll start driving back to Penticton. ❤️❤️ Cats at night

No comments:

Post a Comment