Friday 4 May 2018

Montague and The Giant Bike Shop TGV Blues; Saturday, May 5th!

The beginnings and endings of all human undertakings are untidy. -John Galsworthy, author, Nobelist (1867-1933)

Teetotal Street, St Ives, UK

Photo: Matt Brown
Up at 7:11 am a few minutes before I had set my alarm for 7:15 am. I guess I didn't have the regular time, (Am/PM set correctly),  as alarm did not go off. Not a big deal this morning but something I need to sort out for future travel awakenings in order to make early trains, or, far more importantly, breakfast before cycling starts for the day! Day is brighter this morning than yesterday so I think Andre will be pleased for the coming pool work. 


[Lunch across from Rembrandt’s house circa 1606.] Hello Sydney House! Trust you are both well. Have been meaning to send this for sometime. A street to keep well clear of! Off to Bern tomorrow, I hope! Cheers, Patrizzio! Hello Harbour Terrace! Wanted your AI robots to see this! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Heinz! Trust you and Eveline are well. I apologize for not being in touch sooner but I have been waiting for the servicing on my bike to be completed. Found a shop in Valence, this past Wednesday, which would undertake work but could not promise finishing before mid-day or closing time, 6:00 pm, on Saturday. Andre called the bike shop yesterday, to check on progress, and the woman who answered the phone thought that it might be ready by the end of the day but did not call back as she said she would. He just called and now it is supposed to be ready by 6:00 pm today!
 

[Gayle and Loretta ready for Kings Day.] I did not want to make a train reservation until I knew when I could actually leave. However, looking at the so-called Schedule Explorer on Google Maps it seems I can catch a train at 9:51 am on Sunday morning, in Valence, to put me in Bern at 2:26 pm that afternoon. I trust this is convenient for pick-up. Once we have actually collected the bike we will go directly to the TGV station to reserve a place on this train or some similar connection, depending on what is available. As soon as I have such a reservation I'll send you confirmation once we are back in Chabeuil. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


[Loretta trying to fix Alan’s backpack.] I apologize for all of the uncertainty but force of circumstance has me in its grips. Will be in touch as soon as I know what is what. Have included some snaps of Chabeuil as well as a few Chloë just sent of the tonwhouse that is being built for her, in Sendero Canyon, a development about ten minutes from us in Penticton. Pics: Last night and construction site!


Hello Pat! Thank you for your  update, you did excellent so far. Wonderfull and very interesting pictures! We are ready for your arrival tomorrow in Bern at 2.26 pm (taxi  point upper level), hopefully your bike is finished this evening. We are here until May 10th mid day for your further planning. Good luck see you soon! Eveline and Heinz  
 
[Gayle and Loretta trying to read the street map!] Dear Heinz! I finally have my bike BUT the best train booking/ reservation I was able to obtain does not arrive in Bern until 19:56! I apologize for yet another change but due to rail worker strikes I could not book earlier trains. I trust this still isn't too late. The other wrinkle is that I have to have my pass validated in Geneva, (French ticket agent couldn't give me a ticket for Cruel Switzerland!), and there is a possibility that I won't make the connecting train from there to Bern. I believe the next train is forty minutes to an hour later. I hope this will not happen BUT one never knows. If you would be so kind as to reply to this message letting me know your mobile number so that I can phone if there is a delay, etc., that would be wonderful. I greatly appreciate your patience! Thanks again! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Pat! Thank you for your info, we will be at 19.56 in Bern at taxi point upper level!! Here is my mobile number. Pat, would you kindly give us your mobile number too, just in case. Have a pleasant trip, Here is the Home Phone Number for Eveline and Heinz as well. Hello again, Heinz! Thanks for your phone numbers. Much appreciated. Here is mine. I purchased the phone at Paddington Station when I arrived in London so I'm not sure if that makes any difference should you have to call, in terms of area codes, etc. You are probably far more knowledgeable about such matters as these so I'll leave it in your capable hands! All going well, I hope to see your smiling face at 19.56, on Sunday, May 6th, at the Bern Station, Taxi Point, Upper Level! Very much looking forward to seeing you and Eveline and as many of Famiglia Rothenbühler as possible. All the best. See you soon. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Was a wonderful day today, 23º C, first time it has been really warm since I was in Cornwall. Sunset this evening. Hi Heinz! Whoops! Forgot to attach the snapolas!
  
Congratulations Derek! You now have a Master's degree in Attaching Photos! Don't be too, too proud as Tristan has a PhD in same! Anyway, thanks for shots of time in Amsterdam. Looks like you were having a good time. How did you find the Tulip Festival? Do you know where Teetotal Street is located? I forgot to include the photo credit. St Ives!

Not in Bern yet! I have been waiting, since this past Wednesday, for the servicing on my bike to be completed. Andre called the bike shop on Friday, to check on progress, and the woman who answered the phone thought that it might be ready by the end of the day but did not call back as she said she would. He called again on Saturday morning and it was supposed to be ready by 6:00 pm! However, an hour or so later shop called again
 to say that there was a problem attaching rack! Just what I needed! Anyway we drove to store and chap explained that the axle fitting was for a bike with disc brakes, not mine with pads. Consequently the rack was offset to the left. This further compounded the problem of attaching the rack to the seat stem. Whether I was never given this part, I don't know, but I was prepared, initially, to use some hose clamps. Not necessarily an elegant solution but at this stage I just wanted damn thing to work so I could carry panniers.

Anyway, nothing to be done, at this point, so I paid €137 for a bike that I couldn't use on the coming tours. I did have two new tires and a tune-up so I'm not complaining about that aspect of work. Chap did his best. Thanked him and paid the bill and we made for home. En route, as I was mulling over what I was going to do, [Renting bikes for both trips seemed like only alternative at this point. More expense and on and on!], when I said to Andre that even if alignment was off, I thought I could still ride without the dislocation interfering with cycling. He thought we could rig up something to see what might work when we were back home.
 

Did just that and when he looked at axle fitting he took it off and reversed a couple of the parts and Voila! the rack aligned perfectly! Obviously chap had never seen something like this before and simply couldn't figure out how to position fitting. Anyway, aside from being a tad annoyed at this, I was overjoyed that it now looked like I could take the bike as planned. Andre then wen to his workshop and brought out a couple of small hose clamps and a length of strapping. He wound the material around the stem, over the upright of the piece attached to the rack, [I was missing the aforementioned fitting that, supposedly, held this to the stem.], and then tightened the clamp, [He put the two together as one was not long enough to go around the stem.], pulling the rack nicely into place. As an added precaution we added two plastic zip ties, over the release mechanism of the fitting attached to the rack, and one to bind the rack to the stem should the other become un-clipped. In such an eventuality, at least the rack would stay in place until I could stop and try to fix it. He gave me a handful of zip ties, just in case!
 
Cannot tell you how relieved I was. Furthermore, I did not want to make a train reservation until I knew when I could actually leave. Looking at the so-called Schedule Explorer on Google Maps I found that I could catch a train at 9:51 am on Sunday morning, in Valence, to put me in Bern at 2:26 pm that afternoon. This being the case we then went directly to the TGV station to reserve a place on this train or some similar connection, depending on what is available. More wrinkles! Due to on-going strikes only train I could take left at just before 2:00 pm but I was happy with that, as you can well imagine. Will put me in Bern around 8:00 pm but Heinz, my host there, is fine with that.

Back home I was itching for a ride. First really sunny day, since arriving, 23º C. Wanted to have a "familiarization" ride with loaded panniers so suited up and took off, just after 4:00 pm. Stunning ride  through the picturesque, walled Centre de Ville of Chabeuil and then into the gorgeous surrounding countryside. Much of it is very flat, although there were decent climbs up into the hills to the east, the breathtaking, rugged cliffs of the foothills of the Alps a stunning backdrop to the sweeping green of the pastures and fields below. Was very, very pleased with how bike handled, panniers and all, so I'm hoping Andre's solution will hold me in good stead for coming tours, and beyond! Map and Stats for ride:

 
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2675840804#.Wu4WQcuXsgE.email

Back by just after 7:00 pm and after a quick shower Andre served another delicious meal, pasta with sauce made from his own tomatoes, frozen last Fall. An earlier night than usual as with all the backing and forthing I still needed to do a bit more pannier packing. Culled a few more items of clothing, [To leave here until I return, July 1st or earlier.], so that I'm only going to be carrying absolute essentials. Little bit more complicated as until I actually reach Brno, where first ride starts, I have to carry my riding shoes, helmet and a few other bits and pieces of gear.
All the best. Fondestos to you and Gayle. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bike solution! Sunset last night!
  
Dear Patricizzio... , how are you?? What are your plans??? When will you arrive in Ortschwaben????? Hi Annemaria Tremonte! Long, long story BUT, all going well, I hope to arrive at 19.56, on Sunday, May 6th, at the Bern Station, Taxi Point, Upper Level, where Heinz has very kindly offered to collect me. I will call you, [Could you send me a number where you can be reached. Thanks.], or send a message as soon as I'm settled and we can chat about how to arrange things. Much to tell. Trust everyone is well. Cheers for now and look forward to seeing you soon. Sunset this evening Chabeuil.

Enjoy the solar noon at 2pm. Few places in the world enjoy this feature. It makes for endless summer evenings and clearly adds to the many charms of France. Hi Brunello! I'll be taking the train at 2:00 pm tomorrow so not sure if I'll be able to enjoy the solar noon as much as if I was in the garden in Chabeuil. Anyway, not quite in Bern yet! All the best. Fondestos to you and Chooch. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Falcon, Tinsel Town and Penticton! Trust everyone is well. Am pleased to announce that I'll be taking the train to Bern at 2:00 pm tomorrow. Finally Switzerland bound! Stay tuned! All the best. Fondestos to one and all. Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! Hello Friends! Trust everyone is well. I'm Switzerland bound! Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment