Tuesday 18 December 2018

Blue Blue Skies and The Naramata Bench Blues: Tuesday, December 18th!

Art should be like a holiday: something to give a man the opportunity to see things differently and to change his point of view. -Paul Klee, painter (18 Dec 1879-1940) 


Dearest Kissing Cousin! Happiest of Happy Birthdays from Lady Dar & Patrizzio! Hi Patrick and Corinne, Thanks for the cute e-card and the Open House Extraordinaire! Have a very merry Christmas! Marian

[Michele Darrow-Sutherland Just bragging! Little Kaiya Michele
Patrick James Dunn Kaiya looks just you, Flamin'! She even spells her name the same way!! Congratulations and Cheers!]
 
Hi Re-sender Man! I read your message twice, (Just to let you know, it arrived twice!), as it was so complimentary! Thank you!! Delighted that you enjoyed yourselves and that you were able to share the time with us.

I did want to hike yesterday but perhaps I was "saved" given your account. I stood in for Lady Dar at Soupateria yesterday. I had hoped to join you at your place but I wasn't home until 1:00 pm and then Top Hat called so I had to stay to let chimney sweep in. Anyway, I'm sure it was a most enjoyable "de-briefing"! Lady Dar participated in the lighting of The Peach on Lakefront last night. Marian probably knew that The Grandmothers for Africa choir had been asked to lead carols. From relative obscurity to national sensation! Must away as I'm going to try to squeeze in a ride as rain seems to be holding off. Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year to you both. Stay well and travel safely. Look forward to seeing you early in 2019. Fondestos and Cheers from Lady Dar and Patrizzio!


The Cardsharps by Caravaggio
With the forecast predicting a dry day I knew I wanted to go for a ride. Spent most of the morning answering messages and doing an assortment of household chores. Around 11:30 am I put on a frying pan of ham bits mixed with overlefts of Lady Dar's killer beans from the Open House to fuel me for the coming outing and so fortified, I set out at just after 12:00 noon. Knew the wind would be pretty strong, out of the South at 28 km/h, gusting to 32 km/h, so I decided I'd start out with PTC, Lakeshore and Riverside before dipsy-doodling my way to the KVR of Pickering. By the time I had reached Vancouver Ave I had clocked 17 km so knew if I headed to The Naramata I'd have close to distance I wanted by the time I was back on Burns.

Initially, I had toyed with a jaunt to OK Falls but the thought of cycling almost straight into such a head wind changed my plans and after a quick loop on Middle Bench I was soon zipping along Naramata Road. Really pleased that I opted for this route as the day was spectaculare indeed! Blue, blue skies studded with clouds but more than enough sunshine to bathe many of the hills on the east of the lake in a huge spotlight, enhancing the stunning beauty of the various benches while the grandeur of Giants Head, across the way, strove to compete for most outstanding vista. Drinking all of this in and noting the increasing amount of construction along the way, [Grand homes are popping up like mushrooms, above and below Naramata Road.], I was soon past Robinson and shortly beyond where our good friends, the Lighthalls, live, I turned around. Gritting my teeth and girding my loins I began the return leg and was buffeted almost the entire way by the significant head wind, now out of the SSW at 24 km/h, gusting to 34 km/h. 

Still, I did find some respite on most of the reasonably shallow, but long gradient climbs as well as when shielded by roadside thickets or dwellings. Again, the loveliness of the day and the eye-stopping views made me forget the unrelenting head wind as I simply bowed to Aeolus, geared down and soldiered on. The temperature, 9º C, was ridiculously warm, for this time of year, so I hardly needed my trusty lobsters but they certainly kept my hands and fingers toasty. Annoyed with myself that I hadn't ridden in shorts. Might as well have done so as there are so many holes in my poor long-johns that Lady Dar wants to use me, so elegantly attired, in a Swiss cheese commercial! 

Anyway, I needed another quick loop of Middle Bench before I could return, down Lower Bench Road and then via the KVR, off Vancouver Ave. This was just after 3:00 pm so there were quite a few school children on the trail, the elementary students, mostly boys, behaving like goofs and letting out wild yells when I passed. This soon stopped after I kicked the one with the stentorian voice in the cojones as I rode by the group he was in, the ones behind diving into the brambles by the side of the trail, the girls clapping wildly as I doffed my helmet, Sir Patrizzio, Knight of the KVR! [Soon to be an X-rated film, by the Coen Brothers, The Ballad of Buckaroo Ball-Breaker, on Netflix, for release in January 2019!] Caught the light on Government and shot down our back lane to pull up around 3:15 pm. Almost an embarrassing AVG at 16.1 km/h but I can only blame the wind and the hills, not my legs or lungs. Adjusting for these significant handicaps the AVG would be 30 km/h. Wowza! Faster than a speeding train, going downhill on the KVR! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3233491920#.XBma1R0qiA0.email

Must way as we are going to watch The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Chloë is ready to watch Season 2 so we have to catch up! Hi Patrick, I will try not to be a re-sender like my trigger-finger husband. Just wanted to let Corinne (and you) know that I had every intention of going carolling with the Grannies last night. Sadly, I woke up quite congested. The only good news was that I had a very sexy, throaty voice, almost like Marlena Dietrich! So I immediately let our fearless organizer, Susan Brown know that singing would be out of the question for me. I also cancelled out on the hike, letting Tim represent the Dunn family in the great outdoors. However, despite being warned that I was fighting off some dreaded cold, those brave hikers still came to wish me a happy birthday and enjoy some food and beverage. Sorry you couldn't make it, but I understand you had a much higher calling.  

I am sad about missing out on the hike, possible stardom last night and pickleball today-all in the name of staying healthy before going to visit relatives in Vancouver. Life is so hard😩 So glad I didn't miss your bash! All the best for the holiday season. Cheers, Marian Thanks so much for your warm hospitality, delicious food, and festive ambience on Saturday nite. It was a lovely evening and I enjoyed mingling with all your friends. I arrived safely with all my luggage this time!! It brilliant today, sunny and crisp. Mags and I are enjoying catch-up.
We are having a friend for dinner tonight so am looking forward to it. Continue to enjoy the season...Judy Xo
Glad you enjoyed it! Have a wonderful time with Vanessa. Give her our best for the season. Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

hugs Corinne

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays from Marilyn and Mike Oliver Happy Holiday season . . .After the Christmas Eve ice storm of 2017, we are enjoying weather in the mid-50's with storms from the Pacific coming and going on schedule.  Poured last night, now sunny and nice, will no doubt pour again tomorrow, but no snow or ice in the forecast.  Must be because we bought the "whole house" generator last year and put "winter tires" on the Forester.  Ah well, best to be prepared. Best Wishes for the New Year Marilyn


 

No comments:

Post a Comment