Saturday 8 December 2018

Belated Birthday Dinner Blues: Saturday, December 8th!

A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill. -Robert A. Heinlein, science-fiction author (7 Jul 1907-1988) 


Chloë came by around 10:30 am to collect Lady Dar as they were off to Kelowna for Christmas shopping and luncheon before going to Costco for many of the food items we required for the Open House. I did a few chores and after a bite to eat I suited up for my ride. Was ready to roll by11:33 am and having consulted the weather report I decided I'd stick fairly close to home as the wind was out of the South at between 20-21 kph. With temperature hovering around 1ºC I knew it was going to be chilly. To this end I wore a thin pair of gloves under my trusty lobsters and it was the right choice as my hands and fingers were toasty for entire ride.
 

Sky was blue but many clouds hid the sun so it was never really bright. Still, I was happy to be riding at this time of year, bundled up though I was. Almost on automatic pilot from the very beginning of the ride, following my gerbil nose to PTC, Lakeshore and Riverside. Once there I simply described circles and loops around Power, Dynes and Riverside where it runs parallel to Dynes. Once I'd completed these loops I did the same around Burnaby and when I returned to the small mall off Riverside I had logged almost enough distance that I only needed a few trips around Whylle, Burnaby and Westminster before I did a circuit of the SOEC and a bit of dipsy-doodling of the neighbouring streets and I was ready to make for home via Wade and Winnipeg.
 
Was back by about 2:20 pm and was greeted by Miss Etta, hoping for food! Duke, on the other hand, was curled up on the shower mat, [Both cats love the heated floor!], in our bathroom and didn't even open his eyes when I stroked his head. Doesn't seem fair as when he wants me up he bounds onto our bed and lands, full force, on my stomach! Nevertheless, a decent ride on dry streets so who am I to complain. Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3212832634#.XAxLG4-sNXk.email

Hi Gary! Glad I bumped into you earlier today, walking your pooches. Hope you and Maria will be able to join us for some Xmas cheer. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Tina! Pleased I bumped into you at the bank earlier this week. Hope you and your husband will be able to join us at the Open House. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Ragin'! Trust you are well. Have you given any thought as to when you plan to arrive? If you let me know as soon as you know I'll try to set up a bridge game. Busy time here for past week with a hike on Monday and then one table of bridge at our place that evening. Enjoyed a lovely dinner with Beckster and Kid Chelene at their new place in Sendero this past Wednesday. I'd never been to the house before so it was terrific to see their comfortable, spacious home. Thursday was my birthday and I enjoyed a wonderful day, starting off with a hike and picnic with hiking friends and then finishing evening with book club where I was sung another Happy Birthday! We were out to dinner last night at the home of Dame Judith and Kevin, he of the South Okanagan Whisky Tasting Society, [Lady Dar and I are now members.], so enjoyed three malts I'd not had before! Then again on Sunday, at Judy Blue's place, with my birthday dinner tonight as both Chloë and we were busy on actual day. Cousin, Michelle Dunn, is coming for dinner as well.

Quite brisk of late but have managed a number of rides between hikes. Chloë came by around 10:30 am this morning to collect Lady Dar as they were off to Kelowna for Christmas shopping and luncheon before going to Costco for many of the food items we required for the Open House. I did a few chores and after a bite to eat I suited up for my ride. Was ready to roll by11:33 am and having consulted the weather report I decided I'd stick fairly close to home as the wind was out of the South at between 20-21 kph. With temperature hovering around 1ºC I knew it was going to be chilly. To this end I wore a thin pair of gloves under my trusty lobsters and it was the right choice as my hands and fingers were toasty for entire ride.
 

Sky was blue but many clouds hid the sun so it was never really bright. Still, I was happy to be riding at this time of year, bundled up though I was. Almost on automatic pilot from the very beginning of the ride, following my gerbil nose to PTC, Lakeshore and Riverside. Once there I simply described circles and loops around Power, Dynes and Riverside where it runs parallel to Dynes. Once I'd completed these loops I did the same around Burnaby and when I returned to the small mall off Riverside I had logged almost enough distance that I only needed a few trips around Whylle, Burnaby and Westminster before I did a circuit of the SOEC and a bit of dipsy-doodling of the neighbouring streets and I was ready to make for home via Wade and Winnipeg.

 Was back by about 2:20 pm and was greeted by Miss Etta, hoping for food! Duke, on the other hand, was curled up on the shower mat, [Both cats love the heated floor!], in our bathroom and didn't even open his eyes when I stroked his head. Doesn't seem fair as when he wants me up he bounds onto our bed and lands, full force, on my stomach! Nevertheless, a decent ride on dry streets so who am I to complain. Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3212832634#.XAxLG4-sNXk.email

Must away as Lady Dar just called and I'm to go to garage to help unload. Let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Il Conduttore!
Carol Riera The cats have you pegged Paprika! You continue to impress me with your stamina.


Patriçio! Well, first of all, I am taking the super-truck in for an (oops) overdue oil change on Tuesday, and if you can put up with me that long, I would head out for the Jewel of the OK Wednesday. I need to leave Monday following the Xmas Open House as I have some appointments … meds & that. 

On the home front, I am very, very happy my Dad is in such a great facility. I attended a “review” meeting last Tuesday and was surprised to hear how well he was doing … well, the odd cantankerous spell, but in general, he is doing great. I was also able to update the staff on some facts about my Dad. Did you know that in addition to Croatian and English, he is totally fluent in German, and can read and write French and … omg … Latin. He went to UBC after retiring (at 65) and got a degree in linguistics (!). 


I have been visiting him with Juno, who is a big hit at the Care Home. She is such a gentle and friendly pooch. Last time, I was sitting at a table with a bag of doggie treats, which the “inmates” love to give the dog, when the lady sitting next to me grabbed them, and started eating them. Too funny.

Last few days, I have been loading a very large dumpster. I am trying to make a dent in almost 60 years of hoarding. My Dad was incapable of throwing anything away. Details on request. Suffice to say that after clearing out one room in the basement, and making a dent in the garage, even after losing the friggin boat, we filled up the 
dumpster. We will need at least two more. At least. One interesting item I found in the basement room. A postcard. Un-used. On the front, aside from some graphics, it says, “Achtung! Sie verlassen jetzt West Berlin” … "you are now leaving West Berlin”. There is a plastic pocket imbedded in the card which has a chip from the Berlin Wall. Too cool! ANYWAY, see you Wednesday, I hope. Plan to leave early, don’t like driving in the dark. Branko Perić


 Hi Ragin'! Grand to hear your Dad is doing so well. Lady Dar and Chloë couldn't stop laughing about the doggie treats thief! Also pleased that you are making inroads on the dumpster front. Berlin postcard is a real find, for sure. I'm pretty sure I can arrange one table for Wednesday evening. We'll have dinner when you arrive. Looking forward to your visit, Ragin'. Stay well and travel safely. See you on Wednesday. Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pics: Friday's feast; Saturday night: Michelle came to celebrate my official birthday dinner, Rosita's honey/orange chciken, absolutely delish, with rice and stir-fried Asian green beans. Michelle brought an astounding almond shortbread cake; Shower mat and Rumpus Room Cats!
Cats rule!! Judy Blue Patrick, I am not available to play Bridge next week. Starting with your party on Dec 15 we have a commitment every evening next week. I will have to eat my Wheaties to make it through the holiday season👍😊 Pamela I have to miss this time. Jos
 
Hi Patrick Nice pics, as usual it looks like fun and was had by all! Count me out for bridge until January See you tomorrow Bring your appetite!! Judy


Is there a hike planned for Monday? Teresa Hello Dear Fartologists, After a successful OF PicNic we will continue the trend of great outings with the first ever Monday snowshoe up Riordan Mountain! So, pull them out of your closet, the garage, or wherever and clean them thoroughly, give them a "love rub" to prepare them for a light "Monday Style" outing, first of the snow season. I have heard there is good snow there. If we do it fast enough, we will have lunch in St. Kilian's very beautiful patrol cabin (upper parking lot Apex), while maybe even enjoying the snuggly fire place! Meet as usual at HH in Penticton at 9:00AM. Summerlanders should meet at the IGA at 08:40AM to carpool to Penticton HH. See you there .... ho, ho, ho! Aarturos 

Good morning parents,

I just wanted to begin the day by expressing my gratitude to the two of you.

Yesterday was one of the best days ever moving in to my first home and it is only because of your love and generosity.

I can't wait for you both to see it! Pierre loves it and is so happy with his room :)

Alex is coming over to help me set up the table in the kitchen.

The movers were had us all moved over in just 4 hours and even went to the store to pick up the table as it had arrived at 5am and the store manager called me to tell me as she knew I was hoping to have it by Friday morning! As the movers left for their next job, Living Spaces was pulling up with the bed and benches for the table. It went very smoothly. Love Ayn
You are so welcome! I'm excited to see your place and am so happy that you found a home your so happy about and of course glad that Pierre is happy too. Waiting for Chloe to go to Kelowna for Costco and some looking around. Planning to go out somewhere for lunch.
Send pictures as you get things set up. Your bed looks very elegant yet country.
Hugs Mom


Dear Sir Patrick and Lady Dar. Good to chat and pleased all going as smoothly as can be expected. Open House looks very inviting and lucky Dutch to have you as friends. Tell them our choir Bach Choir had a marvellous tour in The Netherlands last october. Friendly and hospitable, as I found previously and on business interpreting and translating! We liked the pics of tree, Lady Dar, Chloe and The Dutch and of course the cat! Off to a concert tonight. Tomorrow cantoring in church wearing Xmas gear, Christmas Tree Festival and a local concert in the evening.This coming week 2 Bach Choir concerts 1 following week in Chelsea, back to Hampstead Parish where I was a paid chorister 38 years ago to attend their Carol Service and then ours Dec 23! Off to Cornwall on Xmas Eve! Hope all your plans go well. Mexico and California and particularly your shoulder op! Love as ever. Sir James and Lady Patricia. Matthew Garrey Sounds all wonderful. Belated happy birthday Patrick 👍👏🎅❄️

 

No comments:

Post a Comment