Sunday 23 December 2018

Perogy Dough and Borscht Beet Blues: Saturday, December 22nd!

They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea. -Francis Bacon, essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)  



This morning Jugos Dom Pedro popped by to collect a UPS package we had picked up for him, [He and Lynne were on VI for a week or so.], at their depot on Martin. Brewed him some java and offered him a snort of Wyatt and he was certainly as impressed as we were. Had to kick him out before he wanted a second dram! ChloĆ« arrived a few minutes after him as we had planned to make both borscht and perogies for our traditional, meatless Ukrainian dinner, (Mom and Grandma used to do these and more.), after evening church service, Christmas Eve. Said goodbye to Peter and started in on various preparations. Quite pleased with how everything went. ChloĆ« and I worked extremely well together in spite of Lady Dar's snarky comments, from the sidelines. She is treasurer at Oasis and has to work on a financial report so she was kranky to begin with and took her frustration, with Excel, out on us even though she stated it was our operation and she wanted no part of it! Royalty!!!

After we had finished and cleaned up kitchen and made ourselves presentable we went to our neighbour's Open House. Amanda is right next door so we didn't have to worry about drinking and driving. Fairly small gathering of people from where she works at Anderson Veterinary Clinic but it was quite interesting chatting with her friends and co-workers as we hadn't met any of them since moving here in 2015. At any rate, we were just about to leave as most of the others had already done so when there was a knock on the door and who should walk in but the former owners of 611 Burns Street!

Karen and Ron Gladys had become quite good friends with Amanda and Gary, (now her ex-husband), and Kayla, their daughter, often baked cookies with Karen. We had only seen Ron for a few minutes when we were looking at the house with our real estate agent and I met Karen, briefly, after we bought the place, as she dropped off a forwarding address for the Scottish Society. She was Treasurer at the time, I believe. Anyway, she is a nurse and she had a contract to work in the United Arab Emirates. They lived there for two years and moved back to Penticton a year or so ago. 

Since the party was winding down we invited them next door, if interested, to see kitchen, etc., so they, along with Amanda and Kayla, and a friend, Steve, [He is quite a character as he is a very accomplished rally car driver and navigator, racing on ice as well. Apparently his younger brother is a millionaire crazy, fearless stunt man so adrenaline must run in the family!], came over and we continued to visit for an hour or so. They really liked the changes and it was terrific to be able to learn, in greater detail, what they had done to house in the seven or so years that they had lived here. After Amanda, Kayla and Steve said goodnight, we continued chatting and learned a great good deal more about the two of them and their "backstory", so to speak. This is a third marriage for both of them so lots to tell. 

They now live in a condo near the Penticton Golf Course and Ron often golfs with Peter. Karen is back at PGH, quite involved, from the nursing/OR perspective, with the planning/organizing of the new tower. Quite a day, overall, so we fell into bed after we wished them goodnight. Pics: Perogy/borscht production and Duke wrapping presents! Ron, Amanda and Karen; Lady Dar and Steve. 

Bill Dempster Young Patrick. I am glad to see that your energy never lessens. A friend here went home to Australia for Christmas and offered me the use of his nandicap scooter while he is away. I was thinking while reading of your ride, about the difference in getting around in Penticton and here I turned down his generous offer as walking here is a bit of an art form, I can't imagine trying to drive through it. Motorcycles drive on both sides of the street, and park anywhere there is a space leaviny pedestrians to fend for themselves between the car traffic.tuk tuks drive where they want. Mosr of the motorcycles as taxis. 
The little gal at the front desk saw me quite a way from my hotel and after several Mr Bill caught my attention.."get on she enthused. I take you back to hotel" I insisted I couldn't because of my hip, but she enlisted a chap on the sidewalk who I thought was going to dislocate my leg, knee and hip until my screams of pain made them realize it was not going to work. She took my parcels ans sped off. I stopped at my favorite sidewalj vendor and had a coffee and arrived at my hotel sometime lated to my gal demanding "Mr. Bill Where you go...I worried about you" She was satisified with my coffee explanation and I was free to go. The people really are sweet.. for example..when I moved in a month ago I asked this gal her name. After a few.attempts which all sounded like Pat..she finally said "ok, I be Pat for you.. and has been ever since. Just sweet.. Anyway kid I hope Wednesday is great and I will hear from you next year Cheers... Bill

Hi Wild Bill! Really enjoyed your account walking as an art form! Seemingly much the same as we encountered in India. Had to chortle at your dislocated leg, knee and hip although it obviously wasn't funny at the time. Anyway, curious how these things turn out. Stay well, Wild Bill, and stay away from scooters! All the very best. Cheers!

Hi Amanda! Thanks for the fun-filled evening! Here are a few of the snaps I took earlier. Happy Christmas to you and Kayla, and a Healthy New Year. Cheers. All the best from Lady Dar, Duke, Etta and Patrizzio! Pics: Duke wrapping presents! Lady Dar arriving at your place!

No comments:

Post a Comment