Friday 21 December 2018

OK Falls or Bust Blues: Friday, December 21st!

If there is a God, I don't think He would demand that anyone bow down or stand up to him. -Rebecca West, author and journalist (21 Dec 1892-1983) 



OK Falls ride: With Lady Dar away at her regular Info Desk volunteer shift, Friday mornings, at PGH, I was all alone with the very sleepy cats. I had to struggle out of bed myself, after quite a boisterous evening with Kid Chelene and his Watch members. He and Beckster hosted the Christmas party and it was a delight to meet many of the officers he works with. The gift exchange was more than a riot so loads of fun all around. Anyway, I knew a good ride would help clear my head and so after a hearty breakfast of overlefts I was suited up and ready to go, shortly after 11:00 am. The forecast indicated that the wind was blowing out of NNW and N at between 19-21 km/h so I toyed with the idea of cycling to Crescent Beach so that I'd have a tail wind on return leg. However, I had wanted to go to OK Falls for sometime so decided I'd do just that in spite of knowing I'd be riding into a pretty strong head wind on way back.

Started out with a warm up ride to PTC and then along Lakeshore and Riverside and then back to ride the KVR to Vancouver before hitting Government and South Main. Great to have the wind pushing me along and when I reached Skaha I did a quick dipsy-doodle there to bring my distance up to around 26 km before I started south on Eastside. At this point I wanted to log at least 61 km so knew this extra would help towards that goal. Day was simply glorious and temperature hovered around 5º C for first couple of hours, dropping to 3º C for last two and a half hours, but always very comfortable in spite of wind chill. Looking south to the hills beyond OK Falls the sky was golden, almost a pot of gold at the end of the cycling rainbow.

A few km along Eastside, out of Penticton itself, the road runs right along the lake-shore and here, swimming among the reeds in the shallow water thereabouts were seven gorgeous, regal white swans and a lone Canada Goose! What a wonderful treat to see these lovely creatures and their ugly duckling relative. Anyway, leaving them behind to glide gracefully, I did a quick side dipsy-doodle through the housing development off Devon Drive and happened to bump into more wildlife, a handsome buck with a fairly large rack and a couple of does, trimming somebody's evergreen hedge! Shortly thereafter I came across Hanneke and Doug Button, out for a walk. Hanneke asked me if it wasn't too cold to ride but I assured her it wasn't and we wished one another Merry Christmas before I made my way back to Eastside. 

With the wind helping me the climb up the hill past their place was much easier than it might have been and I was soon descending into OK Falls itself. A quick loop past the beach front there and then up Maple to Oliver Ranch Road as I wanted to do the loop around Stag's Hollow and Wild Goose before the long climb beneath Peach Cliff on McLean Creek Road. I always forget that it really isn't all that bad an ascent, the steepest, and shortest part, fairly close to the beginning but after that more of a steady roller coaster pull between the two or three plateau stretches. Across from Meyer Family Vineyards I noticed a large tract of the open field where Bighorn Sheep often graze had now been planted with vines. Hope this encroachment will not adversely affect this particular herd.

Once I'd reached the top it is slightly downhill through  the valley and there are quite few acreages where horses are kept. Passed four gleaming Chestnuts, the shining coats obviously extremely well-cared for, their glistening, liquid brown eyes tracking me as I rode past. A little further along I noticed a stunning Palomino keeping company with a delightful black miniature horse. Quite a varied parade of animal life on this outing so doubly pleased that I had chosen this route. Noticed the small sawmill outfit, mid-valley, was in operation but other than that not a soul in sight. The quiet was enormously blissful.

Past the last horse enclosure, a very well-maintained property, I then swooped down the hill, being extremely careful to watch out for any sand on the turns as didn't want to take a spill. Have learned, from bitter experience, to be mindful of any grit or the small pebbles which often litter the road, especially after any precipitation. Then back on Eastside I was rather chuffed to find that the head wind didn't offer as much resistance as I had feared so the open stretches along Eastside were not at all unpleasant. Soon back at Skaha Lake Park I needed to make a decent dipsy doodle to bring up my distance. I had approximately 70 km on the clock by then and decided I'd go for another 10 km since my legs still felt pretty strong. In fact, only needed to add 6 km as from SLP to home is roughly 5 km. 

Didn't take long and before I knew it I was headed up South Main, passing four Mallards, a male and three females, waddling along the sidewalk. I have often seen them here as I think they use the small slough which is part of the part. Anyway, caught all of the lights on Government but once I turned onto White I had to ride past our house, back to Eckhardt, as I needed a tad more mileage to push me to my goal for the day. Not a particularly high AVG but I was more than happy to have logged the distance I did, the furthest I've ridden since being back from Europe. If the weather continues to be so mild I'm hoping that I'll be able to put in a 100+ km ride between Christmas and New Year's. Anyway, most thankful for the opportunity which presented itself. Probably all the dark rum which I drank the night before. Jet fuel!!! Cheers! Hic! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3239092563#.XB2SwbM22xs.email

 
Hi Naramata Elf! Lady Dar was out running errands and I riding when you must have popped by, this past Friday, to leave such an unexpected and wonderful, wonderful gift! The BCSPCA called shortly after we were both home to say that the cat food we had ordered was in so I opened the front door to go to the MarriageMobile to collect the crunchies, as place wouldn't be open again until the 27th, and discovered Santa's Naughty Helper had been by. The plant holder is lovely and the Wyatt is simply delicious. We were out for dinner that evening up at Sendero where our close friends, Flamin' and Sarge, were visiting their son Corey and daughter-in-law, Rebecca. F/S were grand-parenting four children, two from Kamloops that they'd brought from there. They will spend Christmas in Kamloops so had come to Penticton to bring gifts and visit for a day or two before returning as their two other children and families live there.

At any rate it was a fairly early evening as F/S were quite tired having dealt with the Fearsome Four all day so we wished them a Happy Christmas and drove back home. Once there, lit the fire and cracked the Wyatt. Lady Dar was most impressed, as was I, so we had quite a romantic evening, snuggled on couch, lights out, gazing into embers and sipping Wyatt! Thanks again and please pass along compliments to Legend! What are your plans for hols? As I think you know, Lady Dar is flying off to Mexico on New Year's Eve so if you and Wild Bill are around before that perhaps we can arrange to get together to have a drink and a chat as we missed you at our Open House. 
 
[Michele Darrow-Sutherland Newborn pictures of our newest little angel Kaiya]

I was sorry to learn that you were not at all well and trust you are feeling much better now. Nothing worse than feeling ill, anytime, but particularly at this time of year. I remember suffering from flu, or some such ailment, when a child of about five or six when we lived in Cyprus. The mining community always had wonderful, wonderful holiday parties, of all sorts, especially at Christmas time, and I recall lying on a couch in host's home while all around were enjoying fabulous food and plenteous drink, it goes without saying, laughing and chatting and making merry while I felt even more miserable than I already did knowing what I was missing and that I was unable to participate in the festivities, holding my sore tummy and feeling sorry for myself!

Anyway, give us a shout or send along a message and we'll see if we can arrange something. Thanks again for your most generous gifts, Pamela. Must away to wrap some of my own. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!
Pics: Dinner at Sendero: three grandchildren; Flamin' and Lady Dar planning our trip to Europe next September; saying goodnight to Sarge!

Merry Christmas Our hi-lite for 2018 was our Spring cruise. It was 19 days and took us to the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Russia, Finland, Sweden and Norway. The weather was warm and sunny; which made the excursions exceptional. Our family has not extended.. The "boys" are 23,25,25 & 28. We spent some time with them in August. Our Brody is 10, loves school & knows more about computers than Arv & Me....Have a healthy happy 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment