Saturday 9 March 2019

Deep Water Finale Blues: Friday, March 8th!

Men are not against you; they are merely for themselves. -Gene Fowler, journalist and author (8 Mar 1890-1960)




Dear Patrick Thank you so much for your newsy email. Rugby 7's starts Saturday! And I hope Corinne's trip home was a good one. I was away at Loon Lake for a UBC Wingspan Disabilties Arts and Culture Retreat. It was beautiful and a great retreat I learned a great deal--led by Dr. Leslie Roman.

Colin goes in for cataract surgery March 20. My aunt died last Friday so things have bee very sad here and tomorrow I have to go and deal with her things at Yaletown House--she had no children. My 93 year old father got a notice that his license will be suspended end of March. Terrible blow. I am going to Alberta April 3-7 to have a family meeting with dad, brother and step mother. Dr. Carl Leggo died this morning--brain tumor. He was wonderful poet and teacher. Life is short--Colin is off to Scotch tasting tomorrow night. Lots of hugs and love for now Jo-anne


Hi Jo-Anne! Pleased to learn that Loon Lake was a wonderful retreat but saddened to learn that both your aunt and Carl Leggo died. I didn't know either but sincere condolences to you, obviously. Difficult change for your Dad but you can compare him to Prince Phillip to ease the blow. Our last book selection was Michelle Obama's Becoming and in it she describes her relationship with Queen Elizabeth and how they first connected on a human level. On a subsequent visit they were invited to Balmoral, I believe, and the royal couple collected them at a nearbye heliport, Prince Phillip driving. This was a number of years before he voluntarily relinquished his driver's license after the serious accident. Knowing about this when I read her account I almost gasped, wondering if she had any inkling of the potential risk! 

Seems like many friends are undergoing surgery of one sort or another. Husband of close friend had a knee replaced yesterday and I'm scheduled for my shoulder replacement on Tuesday. [Best wishes to Colin for his cataract surgery.] Had to have a number of tests, [blood, ECG], so put them off until today as one has a band affixed to one's wrist after blood is drawn. Nurse was worried if I had it put on when I went in to hospital on Wednesday, for tests, numbers might wash away. [I spend two hours deep water walking.] This being the case I opted to return on Friday so that I could enjoy two more sessions in deep end, plus in glorious steam room and hot tub!

Not sure if I mentioned that her boarder left in mid-February, for Toronto, where her fiancée lives and works. Fortunately, [in terms of a mortgage helper!], she found another young woman and she moved in last week. Haven't met her yet but Chloë quite likes her so trust it will work out for both.

Moved my Brodie inside Rumpus Room today and Lady Dar helped me attach Alu-Trainer roller to back wheel so am now all set for rehab riding. When I saw physio, at hospital today, for overview of post-op exercises, she said I wouldn't be able to do any form of exercise, [other than basic arm movements], for six weeks, other than stationary bike riding if, and only if, my arm was in a sling. Not too, too unhappy with this as I'll be able to watch Netflix as I pedal away, or even read if Duke or Etta will turn pages for me! Must away as I want to have a start dinner preparations. Stay well. Fondestos to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!






No comments:

Post a Comment