Thursday 14 March 2019

Wild Wild Horses and the Gallopy Gallopy Blues: Thursday, March 14th!

The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. -Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel laureate (14 Mar 1879-1955) 


Hello Mountain Bard! I certainly enjoyed your rugby flat pics, [Lost in automatic translation! I'm using the dictation function on my Mac and it is pretty good, providing me with some unexpected jokes!] Must say that I find that I can hardly believe that I am experiencing so little discomfort after my surgery. Only took extra strength Tylenol yesterday before I left the hospital and then last night when I went to bed. Given the fact that I had such a good sleep with really no pain whatsoever I decided to forgo the Tylenol and so far I feel just fine.

I trust that your center, [yes indeed, Josinta!], is starting to feel much better and is well on the way to full recovery. Life back home revolves around me doing a series of arm exercises and then having a nap. I sleep for an hour or so and then return to my computer to dictate away. Lady Darjeeling is taking very good care of me so I cannot complain about the nursing. Just wanted to send regards to you both and to others in the snowshoe group when you see them. Must away as I plan to ride my stationary bike for a few minutes. All going well I hope to increase the time a few minutes each day until I am ready to ride for an hour or so. On Destino's, [Fond Regards=Fondestos!], from Lady Dark! Cheers, Athlete's eel=Patrizzio! Pics: Tuesday when back from OR; in chair in hospital room, Wednesday, before being discharged and then at home. Sleepy felines.
 
Hi Jake! Trust you and Victoria are well. I must say I really enjoyed the analysis on Trump. Thanks for sending along and I plan to forward to many friends and relatives. For my part, I underwent my complete right shoulder replacement surgery on Tuesday morning. Stayed overnight and was released back home on Wednesday. One of the lovely young nurses who took care of me, exceptionally well, suggested I use my Mac's dictation feature. Don't know why I never thought of it before. Am finding it increasingly easy to use and one of the unintended consequences is that I really enjoy all the lost in automatic translation wordplay! So far, in this message there have not been any bloopers but I'm sure some will inevitably show up. Just wanted to send regards to you both and say hello. When do you return to Penticton? Cheers, Athlete's eel=Patrizzio! [Won't need any Internet jokes from now on!] 

Gamification Sartre Way
Photo: cea +
Hello our dear cripple & disabled friend Patriiiizzzzziiiiioooo, Thanks for your update. It looks like you are in good spirits and doing good. You are moving, standing and even stationaring! Happy to hear that the operation went well. Good sleep and exotic care by Lady Dar will do wonders. We ourselves have not been doing very well. Jos has a bad cold as you know but now I have it also since 2 days (although we have abstained from french kissing). So, no hiking and skiing for us this week, although we both so badly wanted to ski yesterday, it was not in the stars for us. Hopefully again next week. I attach a selfie we took while lying on our sofa. We hopefully will see you soon, until then a big butt bump (not to reset your shoulder) from the both of us. :-) Aarturos and Josinta-) 

Hello Under the Weather People! Very sorry to learn that the two of you are still suffering from colds. However, looks like you're taking care of each other. Just up from my second nap of the day and if I can drag Lady Darjeeling from watching the Young and the Useless I will embarque on my second set of of arm/ shoulder exercises. Take care of each other we'll be in touch over the next few days. Trust by then that you will both be well on the way to a full recovery. 1 dB fund Desnudos from Lady dark and cheers from Bethany Teal! Hee hee hee! Snaps:  Florence Nightingale watching her soap! Even Etta can't stand it! My wonderful hot water bottle. Would you like to borrow Duke?

British wit: Have you seen a more insightful analysis??
 
Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?" Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response: "A few things spring to mind. Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.
Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness. There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront. Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.
And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege. And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully. That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead. There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.
So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that: * Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are. * You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.
This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.
After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum. God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump. And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: 'My God… what… have… I… created? If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.”

AMAZING that your replacement went so well. Perhaps I should seek one in advance of actual need. We return to California tomorrow morning after a week in New York visiting my father. Taste of winter but I know you laugh. Will look at pics and Trump article when we return to the big screen. My motto tonight is "No brandy left behind." Best of luck in rehab. Cactus



No comments:

Post a Comment