Wednesday 22 May 2019

Arrivederci to the Shuswap Slow Drip Trickle Feed Blues: Tuesday, May 21st!

A man should never be ashamed to own he has been in the wrong, which is but saying, in other words, that he is wiser today than he was yesterday. -Alexander Pope, poet (21 May 1688-1744) 


After a lovely sleep we were both up just before 8:00 am. Ricardo had risen neat 7:00 am so java was burbling away when I went into kitchen. Poured myself a mug's worth and then went outsid eto see how our slow-trickle charge was going. We had plugged in the Kona when we arrived on Sunday and it had taken almost two and a half days to reach full charge. The electrical system a the cabin is such that we were relieved we had not tripped any breakers with the draw. Anyway, battery was fully charged so I stored the charger cable and set about loading the baggage that I had already packed. While we were in no real rush to leave we were hosting our book club that evening and also planned to stop at Costco, in Kelowna, on way home, for a decent list of groceries. 

Dearest Arya and Sansa, pooches regal beyond compare! It was more than a delight to spend a goodly part of the Victoria Day long-weekend with you and your dueling, testy humans. It is most fortunate that you are both of such loving, attentive dispositions, along with the regal Bald Eagle and the cheeky otter, sunning itself of the dock, otherwise we would have been bereft of the very comradeship that we have come to know and cherish from the former Hotel Kits Freeloaders, and more recently, Squamish Hoi Aristoi! We can only assume that the show of frustration and irritation was in large part due to eVehicle envy! Please find enclosed, by way of copious thanks for an otherwise wonderful, wonderful stay, two certificates, one for Grumpiness Management and one for Ginger Therapy. I have taken both and found them extremely helpful, [as Lady Dar is continually reminding me!], as you will have certainly noticed from my calm, placative demeanour, always the mediator, never the inflamer or Stirrer/Tummler, oft, terribly incorrectly and patently unjustly, assigned to my personality! God Speed to you both. I remain, in faith, yer' ever gracious, obsequious 'Umble Servant, Patrizzio, of the Burns Street Gin Joint and Hot Sheets Hotel!
 
Little White was up around 9:00 am and I made a tasty breakfast of toast, slathered with the leftover Boursin. Also sliced up most of the Mennonite sausage we'd brought so Ricardo and I enjoyed this tasty meat. After this, I stripped the bed while Lady Dar packed up all her cares and woes. Loaded as much of our baggage, as possible, in the reasonably small trunk so that we'd have room for what we planned to purchase and Costco. Then hugged/kissed our hosts goodbye, thanking them for the most relaxing, enjoyable, bridge-filled days in the stunning setting. We hope we might be able to return when their new grandson, Emery, will be visiting, later this summer.

Decided to return via Salmon Arm so did just that. Another glorious day, although the cloud cover kept things from becong to warm. Perfect temperature for travelling and we sped along, through Sorrento, Salmon Arm and then Enderby, thinking of our friends Barb and Lynn, who have a lovely home there. Lady Dar saw them this past winter as they have a terrific holiday home in Guyabitos as well. Traffic was light until we reached the outskirts of Vernon and was pretty steady until we were through there and en route to Lake Country. More build-up as we entered Kelowna but were in clogged lot at Costco by just after 12:15 pm. 
 
Store was even busier than we thought it would be but we managed to find everything we wanted and were back on the road just before 1:00 am. Traffic was thick but as soon as we made it to the bridge it thinne dout considerable and we were back in Penticton by 2:00 pm, or thereabouts. By the time we'd unloaded everything and I'd filled the dishwasher with the plates, etc., Chloë had been unable to do while cat sitting, over the previous two days and nights, it was 3:15 pm. I had to have an X-ray so I took my form and drove to hospital, parking the car at a charger on the 3rd floor of the parkade. Had o wait for a few minutes in Reception so I brought along my book, Washington Black, and read a few chapters before my number was called. At the desk I was told I would be phoned about an appointment as waht Paul had ordered required some sort of special set-up.
 
Back to car to stop at IGA for milk and tomatoes and then home to start on my daily exercise routine. I needed to be ready for the evening, [7:00 pm], as we were hosting our book club. Did all but final four exercises, [Planned to complete them if we watched the final episode of Game of Thrones after book club was over.], and then showered and changed. Colin arrived just as I was dressing so Lady Dar entertained him until I appeared. Zapped some overlefts and we chatted as I ate. Louisa and Lady Di arrived shortly thereafter, as did everyone other than Von Bingen, She had told Senka to bring her wine along so Albariña assumed she was joining us. We waited until at least 7:45 pm until we started discussing The Great Alone.

Very, very lively, spirited discussion. Started off with Lady Dar playing a brief interview with author, Kristen Hannah. For my part, while I enjoyed the book I must admit I was reasonably disappointed by the writing style, finding it not nearly as compelling as Educated, per esempio, our last selection. While many of the issues, (PTSD, physical spousal/psychological/emotional child abuse, resulting repression/denial of family situation, beauty and terror of wild Alaska as a central character), are both critically important and, as far as latter is concerened, fascinating, I found their realization somewhat contrived and too often, simply trite. Mine was, by and large, the minority opinion, although grudging acknowledgement on some of my points.

Rest of evening was spent selecting our next work, [John Boyne's The Heart's Invisible Furies. We heard him at the VWF two years ago when this was his latest work so looking forward to reading it.], as well as date, [July 24th.], for next gathering, to be hosted by Senka. Once this was decided, thanks and goodnight to everyone for all the delicious desserts and interesting wine. Once we cleared up, Lady Dar was too, too sleepy to watch GT so I brushed and flossed and then started to watch first part of an an episode of Shetland, last of Season Two, in order to ascertain if we'd seen it before. Did last of my exercises but from what I could remember we have not watched this season. Will start Season One, at some point, to see if I can recall anything and go from there, Dear Reader! Happy to hit the hay as I was rather sleepy, myself, by then.

Hi Patrick, I can play Wednesday if that's THE day people have selected for this week? Cheers. Phil Is there a date for bridge this week? Susan I will be there Wednesday Susan
 
Hello Phillipo, Susan, et al! Greetings from Little Shuswap! Just taking a break, after dinner, before we will play more bridge! Wednesday is the day that most people have indicated they can play so that is when we have decided to play. We will host and I am hoping/planning for two tables. If you have not indicated that you can/cannot/will play, please let me know so that I can plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: With our friends/hosts, Ruth and Rick. We used the Bald Eagle and the otter when we needed a fourth as Lady Dar was bbq'ing!

Sorry Patrick, but this time I will be away to Calgary, so happy bidding without me 😏 Till next time. Cheers Mike Hi all I will be arriving home on Wednesday and have company so I’m sorry I will not be able to join you for Bridge. Things should be back to normal next week. See you soon. Hugs, Olly Hi Patrick ,
I should be home tonight. If there is room for me I would like to join everybody tomorrow. Cheers Carol Happy you are having a nice time in Shuswap Not able to play bridge as I am working and probably won't be available for the rest of the summer Enjoy good cards etc. Judy Xo Hi Patrick and gang Wednesday doesn't work for me this week. Happy bidding. AEB Hi Patrick Wednesday doesn't work for me either. Judi


SOTS Tasting Notes: Attached are the tasting notes for Sunday's event. Please note, there are a number of "blinds". If following the tasting you would like to have a set with all the photos and information sent to you send a e-mail to me and I will forward them to you. I understand from Colin that the Agenda for the AGM, and the 2 sets of minutes for approval at the meeting have already been sent out to you in another e-mail. Judi Ritcey, Event Co-ordinator SOWTS
 
To all you wonderful "book club" folks. Thank you so much for showing your caring natures last night. I am so sorry - I should have stayed home and had actually talked to Corinne about doing just that earlier in the day.

I did get home safe, and I did text Corinne so that no one would be worried. It was a very rough night for me. I really did have a bad reaction to this shot. To say I was up most of the night is true, but it was more like fainting on the bathroom floor, and spending most of the night there. Having said that, today other than feeling very tired and a sore, huge arm I am doing fine. Again, thank you all so much. 


From the bit of discussion I was able to be in on, it was amazing, so many diverse opinions. That's why I love the club. Can't wait for the next book - sequeing into...... Have we chosen another book and another date? With all my winery shifts and weddings i hope that I will be able to make whatever date you have chosen. Patizzio, please fill me in. Hugs to you all Dame Judith
 
Hi Everyone, Judi glad you survived the shots! The next book club is JULY 24th, 7PM at Michelle Dunn's place. Book is The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne. We also discussed reading The Immortalist by Chloe Benjamin. And Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. Corinne read out the list that Judi had compiled at our book club meeting in March. I'll send out a reminder closer to the date. Cheers Corinne. And Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng 

Photo: Norbert Hüttisch / Wikimedia

A BIG HELLO TO ALL: Glad to hear you are doing better Judith. So sorry I didn’t let anyone know I wasn’t coming…………..Hope I was missed 😊. I was feeling a bit under the weather as well. Loved the Book. I will get the one for next one promptly. Hope everyone is having a wonderful time and all is well in your World. Take care and we’ll see you all soon. Hugs from Von Bingen. 😊😊😊

Hello Dame Judith, Von Bingen, et al! Trust that both of you are well on the mend as book club is very, very quiet without your voices! One correction, Senka will host next time but will confirm this closer to the date, July 24th. Again, thanks to everyone for such wonderful, delicious beyond compare, desserts and copious bottles of wine! Very, very generous indeed so thanks for bringing such interesting, plenteous fare.
Malala Yousafzai
Art: Michael Volpicelli
On another matter, we still have your plate, Louisa, so we will bring it to HH, today, as we are buying more gardening soil for our planter extension. Albariña, you left your high-end, ultra-costly, designer water bottle. I noticed it just after you left and dashed out the door, half-nekkid, calling to you but you were roaring off into the night, luxuriating in your new found freedom, with nary a look behind, fishtailing up White! We'll bring it with us when we stop by the winery this weekend to pick up Von Bingen's wine, as she obviously doesn't want it!

Thanks again, to everyone. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Discussion was so heated that it melted my camera lens and I wasn't able to take any snapolas. However, I've attachedsome of our planter extension so that you won't have to go cold turkey! Pre-fillage then with compost from our two bins and then waiting for Louisa to deliver highly discounted HH topsoil!

A meeple in a game of Carcassonne
Photo: Alan Miller
YES YES I DOOOOOOOOOO WANT MY WINE. I WILL MAKE IT TO SENKA’S TO PICK IT UP YET. SOOOOOOO SORRY I MISSED ANOTHER GREAT BOOK CLUB MEETING. TAKE CARE………I’LL POP IN FOR A GLASS OF WINE ………SOOOOOOOOON. CHEEREO AND HAVE A FABULOUS THURSDAY. LOVE & HUGS FROM VON BINGEN 😊😊😊

Hello! I wanted to email and say thank you so much for supporting JumpRope4Heart. Your donations helped added a combined total of $275.00 of funds for the Heart & Stroke foundation and Aberdeen Elementary will have a larger total to add once all funds have been collected.

Photo: Pierre-Emmanuel Malissin
We are certainly keeping busy and the boys spent another weekend learning how to operate power tools at the ranch. They will be 11 on Saturday.... when did that happen? My spring cleaning is almost done. Only the kitchen to finish now and then the deck and windows (after the pollen). Paint Ball party on Saturday... going to be a fun afternoon in the woods. Much more enjoyable than a nerf gun war... right?

District Honours, Valleyview Honour Night and Valleyview Commencements are all on Thursday nights for the next 3 weeks too. Year end is busy so it is going to be one last dash until summer. Thank you for continuing to support Damian and Corben in their fundraising. It really makes them smile and helps them understand the purpose of organizations like Heart and Stroke. xoxo Take Care, Ariane ❄️❄️
 

Hi Ariane! You sound as busy as ever. Wow, eleven years have gone by in the twinkling of an eye! We have been spring cleaning, as well, but more so in the front garden as opposed to inside the house. I extended one of the two raised planters we have in our front yard. The space the new bed occupies was not really well utilized, covered with lava rock, so we decided to increase our space for growing vegetables, having really enjoyed eating our own produce for last few years. Our garlic is doing extremely well and we are very proud that it is from the garlic we harvested last year!

Everything went very well but I still have a few pavers to install between sidewalk and planter. Had thought, earlier this spring, that we would need to purchase more lava rock but having scraped away a fair bit, to make way for planter bed, we have enough to redistribute over patches of garden that need a bit of a top up.

This long-weekend we were in your neck of the woods as we spent Sunday and Monday with close friends, Ruth and Rick Toews, from Squamish, at their lovely cabin on Little Shuswap. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Happy Birthday to your soon-to-be eleven year olds!. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Little Shuswap with Ricardo, struggling, gluing a kitchen chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment