Saturday 25 May 2019

GFA Spring Tea, Talks and Tunes Blue Church Blues: Saturday, May 25th!



Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world. -George Bernard Shaw, writer, Nobel laureate (1856-1950)


Hola from the wet coast! Hi Patrice, I hope you are keeping well and still mending rapidly! I saw you put something up re Corrine’s leg bothering her...what happened, did she hurt herself? Anyway I hope it’s not too serious if so. 

Just catching up on a few bills and emails after a busy week on the Blue cabin project that goes well albeit with a few minor hiccups which, given the custom aspect of the project is not a surprise. Most of the issue is Germaine wanting to forge ahead before we had the main columns plumb and secured. I pointed out that I felt we should have them set securely before we start building walls which will effectively lock it in whatever position it is in forever. Not heeding my advice and feeling it was good enough even though clearly one of the columns was out of plumb we got the south wall built including the plywood attached, headers in place and started on the second level. 
 
It was at this point that she wanted to take some measurements only to find that we are ½” out between the base and the second level!, this would mean we would be out about ¾” over the entire height of the building. At this point she looked at me with concern and said what can we do about it as it was more than she was happy with!! I told her, well at this point we are effectively locked in and there is not really much we can do other than dismantle the wall and make adjustments then start again. The reality of that sunk in and she started asking if we could somehow pull the two columns together at the top and then finish the wall to hold them there. 

I said we could perhaps try and pull them together but the wood wall was not going to hold the steel from wanting to bend back being under constant tension. These beams are over the top strong and thick steel as specified by the engineer, being all up to seismic codes even though it is built on a barge making it totally irrelevant!! I said we could weld something in between the two columns to hold them in place or try putting some heat on one side to make it bend a bit, all being ridiculous solutions to what I saw coming down the pipe as a problem and her not wanting to listen. 

This was yesterday at noon and she then had a meeting and asked us to stop while she considered her options. I spent another couple hours dismantling the temporary access we had to build to work on the wall. ( the Vancouver Pile and Dredge company that is also making a couple of large concrete barges in the graving dock beside us said they could provide access in a week so we could work on this side of our barge but again Germaine wanted to plow ahead even though I pointed out that there were many other things we could be doing in the meantime. 

Unfortunately although I admire her and like her very much she does not see the big picture as much as I do and the repercussions of ignoring the basic fundamentals of building such as get the skeleton plumb and level and then move to the next most time efficient step available. It is somewhat frustrating as I can see it coming and express my view but in a manner where I am allowing her to take the lead as it is her project. I don’t feel I can override her direction as she is the boss and has not asked me to take charge of it so it is what it is and ultimately more money in my pocket as the job just drags out longer!.

She sent me an email late yesterday apologizing for stopping work on the wall and revisiting the idea of pulling the two columns together with force and holding them there with some steel. Argh! Again this is ridiculous as as it olny tries to bend the wall at the midpoint so if we even can bend it it will be like a banana instead of the whole column moving over which I put forth the simplest plan to achieve I could think of.


Anyway, that is my work life in a nutshell but on the upside I finish at 3:00 so have lot’s of time to come home and have a nap and then putter on my own stuff or walk the dog and hang out with the family. I sold my motorcycle on Craigslist and someone is coming from Kelowna to pick it up next week so super happy about that. Colleen and I had a fabulous time in New York which I just realized hadn’t even mentioned but will follow up with another email and some pics. 

Slightly disappointed I did not receive a response from you on my Wiley Coyote cartoon solution to your bike rack problem!. Did you not see it or feel it was worthy of comment?. Anyway heading off to the cabin to look after a couple things this morning. Colleen is on Gambier Island visiting a friend who has a cabin over there so I am solo. Take care for now and we’ll talk soon. Al 

Hi Thin Skinned Wily E Coyote/Blue Cabin "Germaine Take No Advice" Man and Gambier Woman! I'm sorry I hurt your sensitive, New Age Male, feelings by not telling you how much I chortled over WEC's bike rack solution! I apologize for not pointing this out, at the time, but I gather from Coleen's mention about cartoon and your most recent declaration that I really touched a raw nerve! Perhaps, on a subconscious level, I was dearly hoping to receive a blueprint that I could take to Dr Hook, here in town, to follow when installing a trailer hitch for my existing bike rack. 
 
Alack and Alas, I suppose it is just one more project, lining up after the firewood frame for the front patio while you putter, enjoy family life, walking the pooch, etc., with nary a thought for those who actively seek your advice, preferring instead to work for a boss who pays well for said advice but proceeds to studiously ignore it, to her own significant detriment. While I admit that the wages I pay are extremely low, your advice is always followed, and slavishly so! Funnily enough, in this week's broadcast of Under the Influence one of the clips features WEC and the secret to the cartoon's success. Fascinating, as Terry O'Reilly always is, at least in my opinion, and I suggest you listen to the podcast if you didn't hear the original broadcast. At any rate, the cartoon has prize place in my blog, gracing the section in which I bemoan my lack of a bike rack!

Lady Dar had an ultrasound on Friday afternoon as her doctor was worried she might have developed a blood clot since her leg was still paining her. Fortunately this is not the case as this could present fairly serious complications. She popped what I thought was a plantaris muscle, having done the same with both calves, at different times when playing squash, but latest diagnosis is that it is a muscle alongside the plantaris. Not really any treatment other than ice, elevation, short walks, etc.

Chloë and I walked down to the Farmers' Market this morning but Lady Dar had to set up for a GFA Tea this afternoon, held at the Blue Church, just a few blocks from our place. After the market Chloë went for a walk on the KVR and I did the shoulder exercises I do when lying on the bed int the guest bedroom. Quick shower and a change and then I strolled to tea. Lovely, lovely affair with four very, very informative speakers:


Talking on tea, (Claire, owner of Teas and Weaves, here in town), Xeriscape gardening, Summerland Ornamental Gardens and a flower arrangement demonstration. Had a great time chatting with friends from both hiking and bridge groups, over the course of the afternoon and during breaks between presentations. Even won a gift certificate from T&W so that was fun. 

[Hello Reading Tea Leaves People! Wonderful afternoon so thanks to everyone of the GFA who contributed to organizing and staffing the event. Lovely to see both hiker and bridge friends in a different environment, as well as Ellis on the Rise Woman! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: GFA grand afternoon!
Hi Patrick,
Thank-you so much for sending out your photos from Saturday. Who knew that tea-drinking could be so much fun? Have a wonderful week! Lyn 🙏]


Lady Dar is doing salmon on bbq, along with corn in her new contraption, a Mother's Day gift from Chloë, and fresh asparagus. Chloë whipped up a tangy Tahini based Caesar dressing for the salad. Dessert will be overlefts of various dainties from the tea. 'Ain't life grand! Tomorrow we have a SOWTS whiskey tasting so no rest for the wicked here on Electric Avenue! Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë to you both, in your separate locations. Stay well. Acquire tougher skin, Rhino Man. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Little Shuswap, solar panels being installed and back patio umbrella. FM with Cheryl and Jake, fellow students at United College, in Winnipeg. The Sisterhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment