Wednesday 1 May 2019

Duke Sets Patrizzio to Singin' The Denatl Floss Blues: Wednesday, May 1st!

If you don’t turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else’s story. -Terry Pratchett, novelist (28 Apr 1948-2015) 


The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on. -Joseph Heller, novelist (1 May 1923-1999) 

Saw the Taj Mahal and the Agra fort today. Very impressive. Temperature in the low 40s. We are now well roasted. Colin
Hello Well-Grilled Red Fort People!
The snaps brought back many wonderful memories. The Taj Mahal didn't seem as crowded, [Perhaps due to heat?], as when we were there, although the crowds, such as they were, were not oppressive. 

 
Enjoyed an interesting evening last night. After the PAG AGM I chatted with Bruce Stevenson, owner of the BookShop, who taught at Lord Byng but left in 1972 so no cross-over, unfortunately. I did my first practicum in the school library there, [Liz Austrum was in charge], in the Spring of 1975.
 

I've invited Flamin' for dinner this evening. Hoping Chloë will be able to join us but she has a strata meeting, late afternoon, so she might not be here when we sit down. Must away as I have a dental appointment, [teeth cleaning], in an hour or so and need to leave shortly as I'm hoofing along Penticton Creek to office. All the best. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: PAG, from l/r, Gail, volunteer, Maya, staff, Antonella and Barb, then with Jacinta, staff. 

Hello Marta and Piotr! I'm not sure if you will remember me as it has been almost a year since we first met! I was one of the people on the tour of Auschwitz which you, and a number of others, conducted. Unfortunately, for me, I fell just before the first half of the tour concluded and ended up spending the night at the hospital in Oświęcim. You and Piotr very kindly visited me that evening, something much appreciated, of course. I do apologize for not being in touch much, much sooner. As I recall, you were pregnant at the time and I trust that all went well with the birth.

For my part, the rest of my holiday did not go as well as I had hoped for when I returned to Kraków, the next day, I fell again! I was returning from the railway station as I needed to change my train reservation, having missed my original departure as a result of first fall. Someone bumped into me, inadvertently, near the Castle, and I went down again. Thankfully, I did not lose consciousness but was pretty banged up, nonetheless. Was taken to hospital by ambulance but was discharged a few hours later, after I was stitched up! 

A few days later I left Kraków, my next destination being Denmark, to visit a close friend in Aarhus. Whether I had been suffering from pneumonia when I first fell, I do not know, but, in any event, I was very poorly by the time I arrived in Berlin and ended up spending a week in hospital there, recovering. As you might imagine, I was very weak by this time and my wife, Corinne, flew to Berlin to accompany me back to Canada, when I was discharged.  
Portrait of Kepler by an unknown artist, 1610
 Am happy to report that I made a full recovery, from the pneumonia, although I postponed complete right shoulder replacement surgery, [originally scheduled for July 12th, 2018], as I felt my body was not as strong as I wanted it to be to be able to recover as fully and as speedily as possible. My surgeon agreed to change the date to March 12th, of this year and, again, I am happy to report that all went exceedingly well. Last Thursday afternoon I had an appointment with my surgeon and he was very pleased with x-rays, etc., and so signed off on physiotherapy rehab. I hope I'll be back cycling and hiking soon. No longer need to wear the sling that had been my albatross for last six weeks! Hip Hip Hooray! Drove for the first time after appointment and everything felt fine! 

Unfortunately, no physiotherapy appointments until May 7th, so I will continue to do the basic exercises prescribed, while I was still wearing the sling. I can, however, ride a stationary bicycle, and have managed to increase my time, since starting this activity, post-surgery, to 2.5 hours per session, so am pleased about that, of course.
 
Louis Pasteur in His Laboratory
Art: Albert Edelfelt, 1885
At any rate, I simply wanted to thank you for your kindness and concern, and to wish you both well, as new parents. We, ourselves, are very proud at becoming great-grandparents on February 22nd, this year. Olivia Rose  was born to our youngest grandson, Alexander, and his wife, Samantha, in LA. Corinne was able to visit as she spent Jan/Feb in Mexico, while I was snow-shoeing and working on my fitness for coming surgery, and stopped off, on way home, for a week. All the best. Fond regards, Marta and Piotr. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: What I look like now! Slight improvement from post-accident!  First fall and then second! Shoulder incision; getting ready for first outing, a week later, with Corinne, for a St Patrick's Day party. Olivia Rose: newborn; with Corinne; Alex reading to her; in her Easter finery!


Porgy and Bess, Act 1 Scene 1 performed at the Colonial Theatre in Boston, September 1935
Thank you, Lovely dinner good company !! By chance did you find my sunglasses they would have been a Maui Jim bag (colourful) M Hi Flamin'! Yes, loads of fun! Glad Kid Chelene could pop by. No, not a sign of your sunglasses. Sorry. I dinner at Sendero still on? If so, let me know what I can contribute and who will be my door-to-door chauffeur! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Dinner is still on I will ask Rebecca if she can pick you up after her shift . If not Wayne or I will come get you Fabulous! Any idea of probable time? Thanks, Burns Street Freeloader! I will ask Rebecca but I think she is off around 5-5:30 pm Terrific! I'll leave the front door open as I'll be in shower then. Tell Beckster to come into bathroom to scrub my back! My shoulder is still too sore to do a good job. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!She said not a chance !!! R u sure that my glasses are not there I have scoured all over and remember wearing them to your place



Too, too bad about back scrub! Your glasses are not here unless you stashed them somewhere, out of sight. Nowhere in kitchen/living room. Did you look under car seats? Buona Fortuna with continuing search! Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hello Lubos! You probably will not remember me, [Patrick Dunn], as it has been almost a year since we first bumped into each other in Pardubice, I believe. At any rate, I simply wanted to say hello, thank you for your good wishes and let you know what happened to me after I left you. I trust you are fine and enjoying much good bier! All the best. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Onward!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment