Monday 17 June 2019

Dame Judith and The Bidding Blues: Monday, June 17th!

The ultimate sense of security will be when we come to recognize that we are all part of one human race. Our primary allegiance is to the human race and not to one particular color or border. I think the sooner we renounce the sanctity of these many identities and try to identify ourselves with the human race the sooner we will get a better world and a safer world. -Mohamed ElBaradei, diplomat, Nobel laureate (b. 17 Jun 1942) 





Hi Patricio, Thanks for the pics of Jim’s celebration. It was a very touching send off. Just a reminder, could you send me the email regarding the next book club meeting. I can’t find it anywhere so it must be long deleted, not sure why though! Take care. Lou Hi Luigi! I just wrote a note to remind myself to send along book club info and your message appeared in my mailbox! We will meet on Wednesday, July 24th. Senka offered to host but that has to be confirmed as she will be away on holidays and plans to be back in time. If not her, then Michelle Dunn will host. I'll let everyone know when I know.

The book is The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne. Lady Dar has read it and I am just about to start it. If you have difficulty finding a copy you are welcome to urs when I'm finished. Must away as I'm of to Monday night bridge! Thanks gain for the ride. Cheers, Patrizzio! Thanks Patricio. I’ve read the book but will get an e-book from the library hopefully soon. Lou

Hi Patrick We are ensconced at SBL surrounded by kids and would love you and corine to join us for dinner Friday evening, ( when some of kids will have left ). I picked up wine club wine at terra vista and moraine and should have some left by Friday, hopefully. Let us know if this works Mick the hearse

Hi Patrick: Well next week is fast approaching, I hope you are well enough to keep up with me on a bike, you do have a bike for me, don't you? I thought I had better remind you I am coming next Tuesday! I am excited to see you and Corrine, it will be fun! I am having a great time visiting with Al and Aline, and visiting a few friends. I am heading to Campbell River tomorrow to hang out with Gordon. Here's my flight info: Tuesday June 25th - AC Jazz arriving 12:12pm Lv Thursday June 27th AC Jazz 19:40 I hope you don't mind picking me up at the airport, are we riding bikes back to Penticton? Just wondering, I game for anything. I hope all is well. Love Rhoda 


Today we did the Great Wall and a Ming tomb. Went to the section of the wall at Mutianyu, which dates from 1368. Not as busy as sections closer to Beijing, but still aimed at tourists. Gondola or chair lift up and down, or if adventurous, a wheeled sled down on a special track. Wall was incredible.

Afterwards we went to the underground tomb of the 13th Ming emperor at Dingling. Appropriately named place as the emperor was a bit of a dingaling. Considered the worst Ming emperor, as he was drunk most of the time. His favorite concubine was his former wet-nurse, and she seemed to run things. Whether the wall or the tomb, stairs are everywhere. Tomb is over 9 floors down. Tomorrow is either the Summer Palace or the Lama Temple.
Nihiao Patrick and Corinne Yesterday was a great day! We went to Mutianyu section of the Great Wall. It was super--we took the chair lift up instead of the cable car as our guide said there were no lineups and that it would be less crowded at that part of the wall. It was excellent--felt like I was at Grouse except we were going up amongst the walnut, chestnut and apricot trees. Such luscious foliage and such different terrain. Unfortunately our day was very hazy as it had rained the day before. 
The wall was impressive--we (I couldn't do the steep walk that went off to the right at the top so we walked to about three sections that afforded us some pretty good views and gave one the idea of the wall extending some 5000 miles. Off to the right where we didn't go you could see a tower that actually was in some state of disrepair. You may wonder why I didn't take the tobaggan ride down?? I was tempted as it seemed you could control the small cars on the tobaggan run and it looked like fun. This would be a must ride for Eric and Olena. Eric would love it.

We then came down the mountain and headed to a small town to a tea house and visit to a jade gallery. We had our lunch there. Then we went on a very nice drive following a canal way to the area of the 13 Ming Tombs--we went to see Ding Ling tomb and underground palace. More steps--8 floors down fortunately the climb out wasn't so bad. More ointment today and another aleve as we head out to the Forbidden City and I want to go to the Capital Museum and also to the National Museum briefly as they have a Van Gogh exhibit there. Not sure we will get inside Mao's tomb. Although I think we should try--it is only open in the morning.

Our hotel has been a true delight. Except for one major turnaround where we got completely dumbfounded at our own subway stop we have managed very well with the subway. It is cheap and efficient. But what I loved yesterday is that when we came back from the Ming Tombs we drove through Beijing's business district--amazing architecture and stunning business presence--Pfizer, Minimentals, GalaxySoho and so many more that I don't know. We went past the very beautiful Velodrome created for the Olympics. We drove past the Lama Temple which we plan to visit tomorrow along with the Temple of Heaven as they are on the same subway line.

Must head off now--it is a sunny day so this means it will be hot! We were lucky yesterday as it was not super hot for our wall climb. Need to do some major stretches before we head for breakfast. Hope you are well! Lots of love for now Jo-anne


Thanks for your card, Patrick! I hope you have now recovered from your shoulder surgery. AND I hope to see you in the summer, whereever. I think I can say Jane and I have pretty serious plans to gate crash you and your lovely wife. Hope you have the same in store for us! Cheers, Kjell
Thanks for keeping it live! Mr Grizzle!

https://electricliterature.com/librarians-are-secretly-the-funnest-people-alive/

Hello One Table One No Trumpers, et al! Thanks to Dame Judith for hosting such a lively evening of bidding, as well as for the almondos, olivettis and cheese, not the mention the fabulous, fabulous bottle of La Frenz 2015 Shiraz. Wowsa! Mama T has very kindly offered to host, [Please send out your address to group, MT], next Monday, so let me know if you plan to play in The Naramata and we can arrange to car-pool/convoy from Burns Street.  Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment