Monday 3 June 2019

Janet and Norwegian Wood Blues: Sunday, June 2nd!

Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness. -Allen Ginsberg, poet (3 Jun 1926-1997) 


Hi, Our tour took us right by the cemetery where Uncle George Durston is buried. They made a special stop for me to see the grave and take pictures. Pat

Dear Patrick Thank you so much for your kind email. I was busy attending the Congress at UBC yesterday and today and I was just trying to figure out what we could do. We are still coming to Osoyoos I think your suggestion is great. We would love to meet you on our way to Osoyoos. We are sorry to miss Corinne. Please don't go to the trouble of preparing food--I was thinking we could just drop by for a quick glass of wine--not sure when we will really make it to Penticton as I am not sure when we will really get away as I have a couple of things to do in the morning. I suspect we would get to Penticton perhaps around 2:30-3:00pm. We really look forward to catching up with you! Thanks for your patience. As ever Jo-Anne
Hi Old Farts. This Thursday, Phil Robson will be leading the hike.  

He is planning to scale the heights of Eagle Bluff, near Vaseux Lake.  You will: -meet at 0800 at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (0740 at IGA parking lot in Summerland). -carpool and travel to the trailhead.  Hopefully, you will be able to park at SORCO’s parking lot, but that remains to be confirmed. -hike up and down Eagle Bluff.  Plans are to go up via the trail from Vaseux Creek (the south side) and return via the north and west sides of the bluff. -upon your return to the cars, select a place for debriefing and refreshment. -return to Penticton.


This hike will involve a couple of steep sections, so please make sure you have good footwear and poles. Also, please bring plenty to drink.  Water may be scarce..If the SORCO (South Okanagan Rehabilitation Centre for Owls) property is used for parking, we ask that each person bring a toonie or more to donate to the cause. Are you interested?  If so, please let Phil know. Let Phil know directly, not through me, as I will be unavailable this Thursday. Cheers, Jim

Cemetery/ Grave of George Henry Durston: Visited the grave while I was in Germany in the 80’s. Glad to see that the site is being preserved so well!
George Yes the whole cemetery is well looked after, like all we saw 2 years ago when we went to France and Belgium

Thanks for sending these. Hugs Corinne          Hi Patti! As your other siblings mentioned, it was touching to see George's grave. Where, exactly, is the cemetery? Travel safely. enjoy the rest of your trip. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Had a phone call yesterday evening, from Janet Tompkins. She and James had driven up to Penticton for a couple of nights so I invited them for dinner this evening. After I watered the front garden and then plant in back, I collected my swim togs and headed out to the pool. I wanted to start deep-water walking agin and knew Sunday morns were usually a great time to go. Was really pleased to find the deep-end almost completely deserted so I was able to spend an hour there without having to dodge anyone. 
Enjoyed the steam room and hot tub with dips into the pool to cool off, in between. Even managed to do four of the seven stretches I usually perform while watching Netflix so was happy to do them in the heat of the steam room. Was back home by about 2:30 pm so I finished off the stretches I do with the cane and towel. Then a quick run to IGA. I wanted to pick-up some Belgian endivee to use as an appetizer but store didn't have any! Not a wasted trip as bought a jug of milk as I was running low.

Back home I washed the vegetables I was going to use in the cole-slaw I intended to serve with dinner. Chicken was already marinating in fridge so I knew I had enough time to complete the five exercises I do lying on the bed in the spare bedroom. When I was finished these stretches I took a quick shower and then returned to kitchen to ready rest of meal.

Janet and James arrived a few minutes after 7:00 pm and after Janet introduced me to James, [We'd both heard a fair bit about him but this was the first time we'd met.], we chatted while I put the finishing touches to the meal. They had brought to lovely cheeses from Upper Bench and we had the Gold with crackers, for appetizers. Once the chicken and roast kartofellage were ready to serve we heaped our plates and sat at the table to enjoy the meal. Much say that I was pleased with the fare and my guests seemed to do so as well. Janet went back for more potatoes, about three times!
  
I had mentioned earlier, that there was some frozen trifle and/or chocolate chips cookies for dessert and Janet asked for latter. James was stuffed so we simply sippe dour wine while the Sugar Junkie munched! They left around 9:30 am as they had to leave reasonably early next morning. James was flying back to Lethbridge late Monday afternoon so they didn't want to cut things too fine. Wished them both well when we said goodnight and invited them to stay with us next time. After they drove away, Terry called from across the street. He was sitting in his yard so I invited him for a glass of wine. We sat on the yellow chairs and chatted for an hour or so, Duke keeping us company. 
Said goodnight around 10:30 pm and went inside to load dishwasher. Had thought I might watch a bit more Witnesses or read but was pretty sleepy by the time kitchen was tidied so I simply brushed and flossed and hit the hay. Guess the deep-water walking had worn me out as I slept deeply. 

Hello Whirlwind Visitors! Lovely to see you both and to finally meet you, James. Thanks for the lovely cheese from Upper Bench. Trust your drive back to Vancouver went well and that you were able to make your flight home without any difficulty. Fondestos from Lady Darjeeling to you both. [ I know she is sorry she missed seeing you.] Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Dinner Guests; Terry.

PAINTED ROCK IN LONDON: John Skinner recently returned from his trip to London to participate in the 6th annual Canada Calling event put on at Canada House. He had the following to say about his trip:

"Just back from attending my sixth “Canada Calling” tasting event at Canada House in London. It was a fantastic day where I had the opportunity to engage with UK wine writers and buyers. Additionally, thanks to my great friend Marc Nadeau, I had the opportunity to host two dinners and a member tasting at the exclusive 67 Pall Mall, one of the world's most prestigious wine clubs. One dinner gave me the opportunity to introduce my U.K. agent to two of my Okanagan Wine Initiative friends, Tony Holler (Poplar Grove) and Sara Triggs (Culmina). The theme of the next dinner was “Okanagan Wineries that work with Bordeaux consultant Alain Sutre” and guests included Jancis Robinson and Steven Spurrier The word “Okanagan” is really getting out there!"

Cemetery location  



History Information:
 
The site for Durnbach War Cemetery was chosen, shortly after hostilities had ceased, by officers of the British Army and Air Force, in conjunction with officers of the American Occupation Forces in whose zone Durnbach lay. The great majority of those buried here are airmen shot down over Bavaria, Wurtemberg, Austria, Hessen and Thuringia, brought from their scattered graves by the Army Graves Service. The remainder are men who were killed while escaping from prisoner of war camps in the same areas, or who died towards the end of the War on forced marches from the camps to more remote areas. DURNBACH WAR CEMETERY contains 2,934 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War, 93 of which are unidentified. One grave in the cemetery (III. C. 22.) contains the ashes of an unknown number of unidentified war casualties recovered from Flossenburg. Also, one grave (IV. A. 21.) contains the remains of 6 unidentified U.K. airmen. There are also 30 war graves of other nationalities, most of them Polish. Within the Indian section of the cemetery will be found the DURNBACH CREMATION MEMORIAL, commemorating 23 servicemen of the army of undivided India who died while prisoners of war in various places in France and Germany, and who were cremated in accordance with their religion. Thanks, Patti! Cheers, Patrizzio!








No comments:

Post a Comment