Friday 14 June 2019

Shouldares and Bouldares Stream Bed Blues: Friday, June 14th!

The longest day must have its close -- the gloomiest night will wear on to a morning. An eternal, inexorable lapse of moments is ever hurrying the day of the evil to an eternal night, and the night of the just to an eternal day. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and novelist (14 Jun 1811-1896) 






Must away as I'm off to see my physio at PRH shortly. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both, off to a wedding rehearsal at Linden Gardens, in Kaleden, another small community, just south of Penticton.

50/50 DREAM volunteers for JULY! Thank you everyone, mark your calendars we are now full for July.

Hello Friends, As the day of celebration approaches, I am sending the invitation from Anthea once more.  And I also remind you to wear, if possible, a pair of suspenders, preferably red.  A few years ago, Jim suggested the wearing of suspenders by the Old Farts, and I think it would be appropriate as we honour his memory.
  
Please join us to celebrate the life of our beloved Jim (James Earnest Bryan) on June 15th, 2019, from 3-6 pm at the Summerland Ornamental Gardens (4200 BC-97, Summerland, BC). The celebration will be a drop-in event with snacks, drinks, and a memory walk. As a few considerations, we ask that you please 1) dress appropriately for the weather, as the celebration will be outdoors, 2) consider carpooling or cycling as parking at the gardens is limited, and 3) if you know of someone who has not heard about the celebration, let them know that they are welcome to attend.

We will be collecting written stories and/or pictures of Jim for a memory book. If you have something you would like to contribute, you can bring it with you or email it to Rosemary.

We have had a few questions about making a donation in Jim's name. Should you wish to do so, here are three that would be particularly meaningful to him:
Cutaneous Lymphoma Foundation: https://www.clfoundation.org/giving-online

Nature Conservancy of Canada: <https://donate.natureconservancy.ca/page/25744/donate/1> <BC Nature Trust: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/dn/m/37893/donation> We give our thanks for all the support we are receiving and look forward to seeing you on the 15th. Anthea, Heather, and Rosemary Hi Luigi! Trust you are well. Just wondering if you will be attending the celebration of Jim Bryan's life at the Summerland Ornamental Gardens tomorrow. Corinne has a wedding at the same time so I need a ride and was hoping I might hitch with you. Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

I’m doing well. Just got back from Portugal yesterday. Chris comes in early from Oz tomorrow morning. I would love to go to Jim’s celebration. I was thinking 4. Interested? Hi again, Vintage Port Person! We missed you at last book club. I think everyone had forgotten you were away. Keen to hear all about latest trip. I'll be ready at 4:00 pm tomorrow. Thanks very much. See you then. Cheers, Patrizzio! 👍

Thank you, thank you! I'm glad to see that you haven't lost your sense of humor since your surgery. Sounds like you are making good progress as well.
I know, I know....I should be paying more attention to the winery business BUT there are always so many more interesting things to take up my time. Did you know that I just got back from Portugal? I went with my two sisters and two of our cousins, as well as one of the cousin's husband's (brave guy!). We wanted to do the Faimilia Portuguesa trip, and for the most part it was a good one!

We flew into Porto and were there for 3 nights, then traveled by big bus caravan down to Lisbon, making two overnight stops along the way, and then ended with 4 days in Lisbon. We truly enjoyed the beautiful scenery in and around Porto and Lisbon, as well as all of the historic churches, monasteries, castles, towers, monuments in the cities and along the way. It was truly a visit to be remembered. On the downside, we had one case of 24-hour food poisoning, a case of excruciating pain and a fainting, and one case of flu at the very end of the trip. I was not involved in any of those issues at the time, but two days after coming home, I came down with my own case of some type of flu, with a severe cough. Just getting over that today.

Now that I'm back and feeling better, I'm planning my next trip hmmm....where will it be?....I'll keep you posted! Fond regards to Lady Dar as well!Patrizzia
P.S. I'll be making that $384 charge sometime soon - you haven't deterred me with your woes about the exchange rate and all!


Hi Patrizzia Portuguesa! What a wonderful, wonderful trip but did you find a plethora of burl in Porto? On our first trip to Sonoma, back in 1983, we drove down the Oregon Coast, into California, eventually hitting 101 to Healdsburg, so past Geyeserville and the cross-hill turn-off to where your winery would eventually be established. Did you own the land then? At any rate, while on the coast in Oregon, we saw countless establishments displaying burl, most attached to wire fencing for display purposes. After awhile we even joked that these deformed growths were trying to escape their pens and postulated a horror flick, Beware the Day of the Burl, when these knotty outgrowths began to capture and eat unsuspecting tourists! I'm sure the jug Gallo, bought in Safeway, that were we consuming on our beach picnics, at the time, helped fuel our fevered imaginations!

Coincidentally, I'm seeing a good friend from our hiking group tomorrow. She and a number of friends just returned from Portugal two days ago! Other close friends were there six months ago and had a fabulous time as well. Must away as Lady Dar and Chloë are just back from a local store, Garden Works, which had a 30% sale. [The Constant Gardener bought seeds for next year and Chloë picked up a tomatoe plant for her deck.], and we are off to stroll the Farmers' Market. Fondestos from both to both of you. Cheers, Patrizzio!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment