Sunday 19 February 2017

Beastly Backlog Blues: Sunday, February 19th!

It’s not a business with me. ... I’m not a professional of poetry; I’m a farmer of poetry. -Jack Gilbert, poet (18 Feb 1925-2012)


Thanks Patrick! yes I made it home, but only after spending the entire day at the Goose Bay airport (fun indeed :(). And it wasn't weather that kept us there but "mechanical" problems! Can't win travelling these days. So I feel for all those who got stuck in airports!

I was also in Winnipeg helping my sister with my mother's care, just before i flew to St. John's. Small world. My sister lives outside the city in Anola and my mother has been in the Beausjour hospital since she broke her hip last April. I'll be happy to get home and stay put for awhile!!

And very happy to hear that Pam is fine - I hadn't heard from her either. She hasn't responded to my email. She did seem OK on her FB posts, but she hasn't posted in some time.

Did we extend invitation to visit us on Denman? I'm flying out to SJ in mid-April to celebrate Dave's 65th and we'll fly back to BC April 26 - so anytime after that would be fine to visit (not May 6-12 as we are at a conference in Victoria). Dave retires at the end of August, but I have decided I'm not ready yet and will stay on for at least a year. Just too much on the go!

Lots of fun here - I mean other than all the snow - I managed to miss all the storms, but Dave is certainly happy he doesn't have to shovel as we're living in a condo! It was me who had to dig the car out of the carport and up the driveway to get to the airport. Took a week for my back to stop aching!! Glad it's all gone now. Looking forward to seeing some of the early flowers when I get back next week.

We did have an International Dinner last week - Korean. It was wonderful. Difficult to get some of the ingredients here, but we managed to make it taste somewhat "authentic" (or at least that we thought!). We'd love to visit and get to know more wineries. We are running low on wine....Take care and hope you get out on your bike soon. I hope to do more cycling once I get back home.
Luise and Dave 


Hello St John's! Glad you made it out of Goose Bay and that your back is back, so to speak. Friend of ours, in Vancouver, was suffering with same from all the shoveling he had to do! Will be playing bridge with him and going to the Rugby Sevens in March. Sorry to hear about your Mom. Beausejour is about 129 Km from where Corinne's parents live and I have ridden a little less than half way there, via 44, when I've been training for the GranFondo. Roughly 15 km past Rennie before I turn around and head back.

Yes, thank you very much, you did invite us to visit Denman and we would dearly love to do so. However, given Lady Dar's Marriage Officiant responsibilities and our youngest grandson's wedding in early July, I don't think we will have the opportunity to visit before the Fall and I guess you will both be back in St John's by then. We are already planning about a month on VI and some of the other Gulf Islands as we have quite a few friends spread across the Salish Sea: From Victoria to Parksville, to Qualicum Beach to Courtenay to Powell River and on North Pender, Sidney, Galiano and you on Denman, not to mention Chloë and friends in Vancouver. Anyway, let's see what might work as we get closer to some possible travel dates.

Your Korean meal sounded delish so we will assign you to kitchen duty when you next visit and have discovered the prefect wine pairings! The rain we've had the last few days should help clean the shoulders, to a certain extent, so I will be checking things out. Have to have head to the doctor tomorrow to have some stitches out so I'll be keeping a sharp lookout for how the roads look.

May, after your conference in Victoria, might be a great time to visit. Weather should be fine and most wineries will be open. Anyway, suggest a few dates and we'll plan accordingly. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Etta waiting in line to use mouse!
This afternoon Duke brought in a "stick", [He also brings in presents of large oak leaves and acorns.], and dropped it at my foot, while I was sending messages. He kept pawing me until I realized it was there. Poor lad, he really is a puppy wrapped up inside a cat's body! Lady Dar wants to send him for therapy. She seems to have a penchant for trying to change all the males around her! Later that evening, I "allowed" him to lie on the table runner behind my computer, as he simply likes to be close. [Word of this must not get back to Lady Dar as one of our "rules" is that felines are not allowed on kitchen counters and table!] He is such an affectionate little guy that I couldn't resist his mournful eyes. After Etta had had her evening snack she settled in the armchair beside me. If you can't sleep, count cats instead of sheep! 
 
Hi Patrick, I can't play on Wednesday. I never had to cancel Tuesdays, and wished we had kept that day for play. Do you think we can reconsider Tuesdays, we made the change because Mike wanted his cheap movie night, but he plays the least. What does the majority think? Cheers from Jos in favor of Tuesday bridge play. Hello Date Conflicted People! I can play this Tuesday and will host as well. I'm open for either night and will follow group's decision. Cheers, Patrizzio!

We'll try make this Tues if that's best for everyone else. This Tues may be tight as we'll only just have got back late Mon. Generally though either Tues or Wed good for us. See you all soon Gill and Phil


I had either never heard of February (the book) or forgotten it, as it appears to be about 8 years old. Presumably a good one to read? The book I read recently that I thought the world of was by an English woman named Rachel Cusk. She has a best-seller out now, Transit, but the one I read was a few years old called Outline.  Thoughtful and well written.JUST back from my swim, and having a mite of Simi Sauvignon Blanc to bide away the afternoon. We go to see a Tom Stoppard play this evening.Glad to know your legs are still moving!Best regards to the Vancouver contingent whilst you are there! Cactus

Hi Tom Stoppard Fans! Which play? One of my favourites is Travesties and we saw it in Vancouver in the 70's. Christopher Newton acted the role of Henry Carr. In case you are not familiar with the plot, he is "an elderly man who reminisces about Zürich in 1917 during the First World War, and his interactions with James Joyce when he was writing Ulysses, Tristan Tzara during the rise of Dada, and Lenin leading up to the Russian Revolution, all of whom were living in Zürich at that time." Lady Dar and I first saw Christopher Newton at the Manitoba Theatre Centre, back in the early 70's, in Pinter's The Homecoming. After the play the cast would have a drink at the bar and members of the audience could ask questions about the performance, etc. In fact, we gave Chris and his boyfriend a ride to their digs at the end of the evening. He became the director of the Vancouver Playhouse at some point. He was also at Stratford and Director of the Shaw Festival, in Niagara. In my opinion he was a remarkable, remarkable actor and "is widely considered the foremost artistic director that Canada has ever produced."

Glad your swimming goes well as does your Sauviginon Blanc consumption, it would seem! Nice life indeed! Sounds as if Transit has some the same themes as February. I can drop it off latter, when down for wedding, in exchange for some Simi!
Must away as I'm looking forward to reading a few more chapters of February. All the best. Fondestos to my Favourita Donna Florida. Cheers, Rizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzo!

Pics: Duke is such an affectionate little guy that I "allowed" him to lie on the runner behind my computer, as he simply likes to be close. [Word of this must not get back to Lady Dar!] After she had had a snack, Miss Etta settled in the armchair beside me

Hello Patrick, Please take me off your mailing list, Patrick. I am getting emails from all of your book club members, and since I use my email accounts for art work and other business it is becoming frustrating. As I mentioned in a much earlier email, I do not wish to be in your book club as I am passionate about my art work, and it takes time and a low key peaceful approach. I find being inundated with emails regarding something I am not involved in all together too much! Thank you in advance, Dorothy Tinning

You have been Unsubscribed! Hi Dorothy! I do apologize for the considerable inconvenience. Understand completely. Again, sorry for the bother. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Ah, that's so sweet. Thank you. Do the Jazz Cats know that you're sending dog pictures to friends? They might scratch your nose (but won't supply nice stitches and bandages!) Sara Hi Wonder Woman! I'll have you know that Etta and Duke do not practice speciesism. Unlike The Sisterhood they are an equal opportunity human owners! Besides, they think pooches are just plain dumb, all that barking for what?

Off to the dottore to have stitches removed tomorrow morning so looking forward to seeing what my snozz will look like. [
I'll be keeping a sharp lookout for how the roads look as I'm itching to be back in the saddle again!] Need to have some passport pictures taken and I'm hoping everything will be healed, more or less, by the end of this coming week. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick, Another long letter - thanks for catching us up on your busy life. Your photos look like you were flying over the town???? Yes, we do have a Mah Jong set and as I said to Corinne we will put it in our car if we end up coming through the Okanagan this coming summer. I over did my last letter to you so I shall bid you a good night. Cheers, Dawn PS. Glad the growth on your nose wasn’t cancerous - always a worry. I am also glad your beauty seems to still be in tact.
Dawn


Hi Sleepy Head! Glad you didn't want to strain yourself!!! Toshi took the snap as she was leaving Penticton. Great that we can have both Mah Jong and bridge when you next visit. All for money since you seem to have a history of heavy losses. Chloë will take your wonderful apartmento in Vancouver as payment for your gambling debts!

Pleased that you still think I'm a handsome devil! Many don't and I simply don't know why!
Fondestos to my All Time Favourita Donna Maria and her Pickleball Player. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: If you can't sleep, count cats instead of sheep! And to think these lovely, lovely creatures cannot melt your coal black, obsidian heart!



Hi all, In my email last week, I suggested that, this Thursday, we would snowshoe at Wilson lake, west of Peachland. Since then, however, we have had warm weather and quite a snow melt. It is likely that Wilson Lake will not have enough snow to make for enjoyable snowshoeing. Soooooo…this Thursday, we will head towards Apex and higher elevations.

We will: -meet at 0900 at Home hardware parking lot in Penticton (0840 at IGA in Summerland). -carpool and make our way into the hills -hopefully try to snowshoe up Green Mountain in daylight. I am suggesting that we go up from the cattleguard and return to Apex village. However, we can make a final decision on Thursday itself. -find a suitable place to debrief and have a coffee. Are you interested? If so, let me know, so we know how many to expect. I look forward to seeing a few of you. Cheers, Jim

Hi Hardliner! I'd give the Boat Babes the clothes off my back! Looking forward to viewing clip on SF. Thanks. Fondestos to my All Time Favourita Bridge Partner Sandee! Cheers, Patrizzio! Just what we need - more refugees!
 

OK, LET THEM IN, BUT DAMMIT, THESE ARE DEFINITELY THE LAST ONES! 

No comments:

Post a Comment