Friday 10 February 2017

Motor Mary and The Mah Jong Sisterhood Blues: Friday, February 10th!

What for centuries raised man above the beast is not the cudgel but the irresistible power of unarmed truth. -Boris Pasternak, poet and novelist (10 Feb 1890-1960) 




Hi All; I'm at a loss for next Monday's hike. I won't be going and Al will be busy picking up his daughter from the airport. Does someone want to do something? Please reply all to this email if you have an idea for something. Pam

Dear Snow-shoers/Hikers: How about bridge at Burns Street instead? You won't need poles or gators as the snowbanks will be outside and a roaring fire, with felines and Lady Dar, inside! Hot rum toddies instead of java and fabulous, fabulous bridge prizes! Everybody wins! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick, invitation not to refuse :-) I have been quiet for a while because somehow always something was coming in on Wednesdays. And finally our another trip to Cuba is coming next week, so we are packing now, and getting ready to get out from this white nonsense......just kidding........I love snow. Yesterday I had awesome hike at the Cartwright Mountain, before that, on Monday at the Rattlesnake Mountain. Snow conditions are phenomenal around Summerland now, you don't have to drive anywhere to enjoy very good snowshoeing. Not I.. we are snowed in at Canyon Cottage...DBJS

Hi Canyon Cottage People! Trust you are able to leave your igloo now that weather has warmed up! Still no sign of Fleet Street Bill. I think they are back towards the end of the month. I've been shoveling some of their walkways and no sign of anyone being home. I'll let you know when they return as I'll be presenting them with a hefty snow-removal bill!

I'll certainly put
Captain Corelli's Mandolin on the list. Thanks for the suggestion. Have you read de Bernières' Birds Without Wings? Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Vittoria. [Thanks for Archivos, by the way!] Cheers, Patrizzio!


However right now, as soon as I stop typing, I am going back to pack my kiting equipment for the road.  So, stay worm, stay active, bid high, and see you in March. Cheers. Mike
  Hi Michaelo! Glad you are enjoying the wonderful snow conditions before you leave for Cuba! What a life you lead! Bravo! We had a grand time at Zia's on Thursday, with Marian/Tim, Paul/Charlotte and Josinta/Aarturo. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Mariola. She is green with envy over your coming trip! Bon Voyage. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!

That looks so cosy I just want to come and pet the cats. Do they make house calls? I am at Hospice House all morning and afternoon and would love a cat petting session. My sister Marcia would love it too. Call me if you can visit. Colleen Hi Colleen! Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply. I gather, from other friends in the hiking group, that this is a very, very difficult time for you, and Marcia, obviously. Our hearts go out to you both.


Today was jam-packed with two tables of Mah Jong at our place, for most of  the afternoon. While I was "banished" to my office, I was called upon to move various small tables to make play more comfortable. Leave it to The Sisterhood to use The Brotherhood when needed! Then a wonderful dinner hosted by Mary Lee and Paolo. I'm sure they'd love to visit so if this is a real possibility let me know and we'll see what we can arrange. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Marcia. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hello Mah Jong Maniacs! Lovely to see the players on Friday. Great to be of service to The Sisterhood! Cheers and all the best, Patrzzio With a Weak Back and A Warm Heart!
 

Lady Dar is learning to play Mah Jong with a group of women taught by the wonderfully energetic woman, Mary Lee, from her Flatlanders walking group. Game will be at our place this afternoon so I will be "banished" to my office as it is for The Sisterhood only. [Thanks for the photos, Patrick! Glad you were available to help sort out the table issue! Sandy] In fact we are going to Mary's place for dinner this evening. Not far from us, up the hill above Penticton, en route to Naramata. KVR goes right by their place so we will probably walk, about 10-15 minutes or so. Lady Dar is making a large birthday cake as we will celebrate three birthdays, one is Paul's, Mary's husband.

After ambulatory surgery and then when I had finished  showering. I put some strips of tape over the stitches to keep them dry Table top gives some indication of amount of snow we've had, as does front yard! Zia's: Ynati with group; Lady Dar and Scar-Face; Yanti with Tim and Marian Dunn!  No relation, unfortunately! I have met more "Dunns" since we moved here, in May 2015, than ever before, literally, in my entire life, but no relatives!

Hello Rain City Folk! We are applying for new passports and would like to ask you both if you would agree being our reference contacts? Much appreciated, if so. Thanks, in advance. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! Nice to see that you are enjoying yourself. You can use me as a reference. Do the Dawe's arrive today.  

Hi Sarge! Thanks very much for allowing us to use you for our passport reference. Much appreciated. Yes, Grogg and Lurch are to arrive later on Saturday. Started melting here today and roads are really almost clear of ice and snow, although I just heard on the radio that the Coquihalla is still closed, north from Hope, I gather. Apparently quite a literal skating rink.

On a very sad, though expected note , Isobel, Tina's Mum died a few days ago.

Not sure if you and Flamin' ever met her but we did on one of our earlier trips to Adelaide. She was a lovely, generous woman and certainly didn't let Tina tell her how to live or what to do! We had to chuckle when we were at her place when she showed this feisty side. Not ever nasty but certainly forthright telling Tina to back off! Hard to say but I think Corinne is going to be facing this same situation in the not too, too distant future.

On a much happier note, we had a grand time at Zia's on Thursday and then this eveining at Mary Lee's and Paolo's. Funnily enough, there were two other couples along and while we knew Rita and Bill, initially, from wine-pick-up/tastings at Orofino, I had bumped into Laura and Patrick, downtown, a few weeks ago when snow had finally gone. I was going to the bank to deposit malt cheques and they were headed there as well. I was wearing shorts as day was gorgeous, sunny and no wind, so they commented on my attire and we had a fairly long chat, waiting in line.

Must away as I'm sleepy and need to be up reasonably early we have to get house ready for next round of Freeloaders! I assume G/L will be here before Toshi's flight arrives at around 6:30 pm. Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Table top glacier began to melt today! Mah Jong Sisterhood! Dinner with three birthdays to celebrate, Paolo's, Patrick's and Laura's. Lady Dar did a wonderful chocolate/orange, gluten-free cake! Rita, Bill, Paolo, Patrick, Lady Dar, Laura and Mary Lee! Hostess with the Mostess!

Aloha from Nelson! Survived frigid temps, and treacherous roads ( especially Cranbrook to Nelson!), however, a lovely morning on Whitewater Ski Hill here at Nelson. Still plan to be at your place by early PM tomorrow. The 2006 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz has survived so far from home, so we'll no doubt taste some interesting vinos ( just for a change). Mega snow here and east, probably over 100 cams in some places in last few days....See you tomorrow. Grog & Lurch

Hi Grogg! You may not read this before you hit Penticton but glad to hear that the Rockford survived "frigid temps and treacherous roads" and that you both are fine!  Not sure if you had heard or not but Tina's Mum died a few days ago.
Must away as we have to get house ready for next round of Freeloaders! I assume you will be here before Toshi's flight arrives at around 6:30 pm. Quite a reunion! Fondestos from Lady Dar. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Patrick and Corinne, It is with a very heavy heart that I have to tell you that my lovely mum died on Thursday at 5:04pm She was admitted into hospital on Monday with pneumonia and didn’t respond to the intravenous antibiotics. On Friday morning they rang me to ask if Don and I could go into the hospital. At 10am they started to administer morphine and Valium, she was awake until about noon and then she slowly drifted away and took her final breath at 5:04pm. Olive, her sister, myself and my sister in law Anne  were with her to the end, Don left at noon as he was completely shattered, Mark had been with me until about 4pm. I can’t believe that she is gone as I have so many happy memories. Lots of love Tina

Dear Tina & Trevor So sorry to hear about Isobel's death. She was a lovely person and I'm so glad we had the opportunity to meet her. Big hugs from us, Corinne Dearest Tina, Know that our heartfelt sympathy is with you and Don and extended family, over the death of your wonderful Mother, Isobel. We grieve with you and for you. Love, Corinne and Patrick  Dear Patrick and Corinne
Thank you so much for these heartfelt wishes. Love Tina


Hi Pat and Corinne, Have just made a rush trip home due to the passing of Tina’s dear old mum. As we discussed during your visit she was gravely ill but it still came as a shock when I got the news that she had died. She had contracted pneumonia and her poor old body couldn’t and wouldn’t fight it off; she died peacefully holding Tina’s hand.

Tina and I had discussed prior to me going to Canada what would happen if she did die whilst I was away and we decided that I would stay as there wasn’t a lot I could do by coming home. The reality of course was quite the opposite and I am now feeling one very guilty person who wasn’t here to support my love when she needed me most!

Tina is fine – very sad but deep down relieved that Isobel is no longer suffering. Tina, along with Isobel’s sister Olive, has been Isobel’s major carer over the last year as the cancer took hold so no doubt there will be a huge feeling of emptiness for some time to come.

I’m sorry I didn’t let you know the sad news earlier (you may have possibly heard via some other source anyway?) but the last day or two have been a mad rush. Glad we were able to hook up if only for a short time at Sun Peaks. Trevor

 


  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment