Tuesday 21 February 2017

Fierce Bridge Wars Blues: Tuesday, Februrary 21st!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin, writer (21 Feb 1903-197


I can go either way. I will bring a salad. i am allergic to walnuts Dame Judith Good Morning Patrick: If you still have a book I will come and pick one up ok. Still don’t have one. 6:00 p.m. is great for me. I will bring a salad. Something green…LOL….. as it will be ST PATRICKS day the following day….Let me know when you are home and I will pop up there ok. Have a great day. Hugs from Hildi Hello Dueling Pot Luckers! Since you two are the first to be interested in having a meal, it is now officially on!

However, as you can see, Dame Judith and Von Bingen, you both elected to bring salads. Since your messages came in, side-by-each, will you two please decide, between yourselves, who will bring what, taking into account, Dame Judith's allergy to walnuts, (It could be worse. Imagine if she was allergic to wine or malt!), and let me know so that I can let others know. Thanks.

Von Bingen, I'm home, basically, much/most of the time, over the next little while, except for an occasional foray to run the odd errand. Let me know when it is convenient for you to pop by and I'll arrange to be here and we can have a java and a bit of chat, if you have time. Must away to chop a bit of kindling. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Patriçio, Peter and Carolyn will be in China, maybe Skype is an option? I have checked with a couple of people, including Sandy, who is the s-l-o-w-e-s-t Bridge player on the planet, and will let you know if I find a victim. My knee went out today walking Juno in the Endowment Lands - change of weather. We had a “Pineapple Express” and now colder drier weather. Murder on he joints.

Getting my taxes ready. My income will take a bit of a hit in my post-65 life. Will be looking for free accommodation! talk soon. Pics: sniffing about; A successfully treed squirrel. Talk about “live for the moment!” Or, one of my fav quotes - “the world was made for those not cursed with self awareness”.


Hi Squirrel Tracker! I can see that you are already looking for alternative sources of protein, in anticipation of The Taxman Cometh! Free accommodation is always available, at The Burns Street Gin Joint and Hot Sheets Hotel, but since there really are no free lunches, it comes with a hefty price: Shelving! Shelving! Shelving! [Is this an alternative fact? Orwellian doublespeak?]

I think Skyping with Carolyn and Peter would be a viable solution, if delay in transmission is less than the bidding speed of "
the s-l-o-w-e-s-t Bridge player on the planet!" Josinta rivals Sandy for that title, let me tell you! Victimize Sandy's Mom and we'll have two tables! Sorry to hear about your knee. Quite obvious that you are not lubricating with cask strength malt. Let me know about bride arrangements and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics:
Pumpkin Cats this morning. We mix a couple of small spoonfuls of canned pumpkin in with their crunchies, for morning meal only. They both like admixture. Von Bingen!


Did I tell you I love the cats' names! I think the meds are doing the job. Of course the unknown is the timing. But so far he's quite vigorous still. he's a real character. (a bobtail cat has to be a guess!) October would be grand - just hope it's not a repeat of last October with early rains....And that is too bad that we'll miss the Painted Rock event - sounds fun!

Well back to work - have to give a presentation to a visiting Arctic Council board and realised i basically have to cut the number of slides by half! always so much to say! Glad the roads are shaping up - I don't think that has even crossed Dave's mind, given the snow here! Luise



Hi Slide Show Woman! Pleased to learn that the medication is working with your bobcat! Glad you like the feline's names. When Chloë and Lady Dar brought them home from the SPCA, (August long weekend, last year), they were called by the name of the week that they arrived there or were born, I believe. Of course, we wanted to personalize their names so had all sorts of suggestions from friends and family members. Our eldest daughter, Ayn, in LA, suggested Duke Ellington and Etta James as she knew these were two of our favourite musicians/singers, and we knew, immediately, that the kittens had their true names.

A few weeks ago, I was taking out some recycling and Etta was rolling around on the driveway. A neighbour, walking her dog, down the back lane, said she had seen her exploring their place, a few houses away. I spoke to Etta, addressing her by her name, telling her she wasn't supposed to trespass. The lady laughed and asked if she was named for Etta James so our cat was obviously well named!
  Trust your presentation went well. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Well that's quite a nose tattoo! Hope it heals well. I always talk to our cats! and mostly (!) they listen (ha!) Have an enjoyable evening. We'll have to learn bridge someday. And we don't watch TV but i have read some Blunt novels. Enjoyed them. February isn't my fav novel she's written. Be interested in what you and your group think of it. Presentation isn't until Thurs...have to make sure it goes smoothly and i don't get derailed half way through! From Snowy St. John's Luise 

Hi Cat Tallker, in Vain! You both MUST learn to play as it is an excuse for everything! Fondestos to Snowy St John's Folk. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Good morning Patrizzio! Playing bridge on Wednesdays sounds fantastic if our other friends and you and Corrine would like to but please don't worry if it doesn't work out, I'll simply join you folks again when curling is over. I'm okay with that and Jos probably forgot that I said I curl Tuesday nights. No worries my dear friend. Hugs, Olly Hi Rolly Polly! I always knew you could roll with the punches. I'll let you know what I can stitch together about Wednesdays as soon as I've heard from a few people. Hildegard Von Bingen is driving up from Oliver to pick up book we'll read in our book club. We'll have a java and a bit of a chat. I haven't seen her since our Open House in early December. Talk soon. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio., The Card Whisperer! Hi Patrick; Just to let you know that I won't be playing bridge in March either. Just not into it right now.... Pam  Sounds good. Please say hi to Hilde from me. Enjoy your visit!

Hi Spumoni! Sorry to hear that you won't be joining us in March either. You are already missed and terribly so but certainly look forward to seeing you when you are ready. See you soon, Pam, I trust, one way or another. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Bridge game when??? so Patrick is it tonight Tues or Wed??? Welcome Home, Bedraggled Arizonans! Trust trip went as well as could be expected, given weather and time constraints. Do you miss you wood? I'll fill you in on "politics" behind change of evening when next we meet! Not a big deal but seems one can't please all of the people all of the time! If either of you are in town today, running a few errands, pop in. If I'm riding the stationary bike I'll instruct Etta and Duke to let you in! See you soon, one way or another. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Yes Gill, I am planning to be there Looking forward to see you. Patrick can you please confirm! A committed bridge player Cheers, Jos

I have received the payment for the feather box. Thank you for your business my friend. I'll have a write up on the piece to you soon enough. Much love and respect.  Hi again, Clayton! Terrific! Will be in touch again in early March. In the meantime, should I drop by the PAG to let curator know about purchases so that when exhibition ends I can collect the works? So glad we attended the Opening and had a chance to begin to get to know you. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hello Print Oriented People! This morning Hildegard Von B picked up February. Over the course of our animated conversation, it was decided she would bring a fruit platter and allow Dame Judith to contribute a salad, (Both had offered to bring same.), so menu is starting to take shape. Still need an appetizer and a vegetable dish, if the rest of you are planning to come for the meal part of evening, set for 6:00 pm. Still have three copies of the book. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Von Bingen after three bottles of Figaro!!!

Not likely as Von Bingen is not crazy for Figaro! Will bring veg.  my personal email please from now on. Muchas gracias! Hello Terravistans! Welcome back! How was your Mexican getaway? Sorry, I meant to say I drank three bottles of Figaro, Von Bingen had two jugs of Liebfraumilch, made from a home kit so it was esoecially tasty!

Vegetable dish will be Fabulo! Name of your next white and I get free Wine Club releases of same as royalty payment for label! I think a felicitous blend of
Riesling, Silvaner, Müller-Thurgau and Albariño, to balance the 18–40 grams per litre of residual sugar, will certainly corner a niche market! Von Bingen will wash bottles until the cows come home! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Patricio Can I come by Friday morning around 10-10:30? Do you think a scalloped sweet potato, no dairy would be good? Otherwise i could bring a lg green salad. Let me know on both counts. Luigi Hi Luigi Friday morning is just fine! As well, scalloped sweet potatoe sounds simply divine. Dame Judith is bringing a green salad. Trust all goes swimmingly! See you on Friday. You are welcome to have a java if you have time and inclination. Hello to Mad Max. Cheers, Patrizzio

What about Book Club Pot Luck? Think you're getting your activities mix-up C
Your players seem confused, are you playing tonight? I think to accommodate Olly and Jos you should alternate every other week. Time sure is going slowly here think I would go nuts living out here. C 

Dear Falcon Lake Nutsoid! Let go! Let go! Let go! Everything is falling into place, even without you, at a distance, organizing events! What would I do if I didn't have you, and the kittens, telling me what to do!

Nevertheless, we had a grand night of bridge this evening and I must warn you that Naramata Goil has replaced you in Duke's affections! He was ever so helpful in advising her what to bid! Josinta is still as slow as molasses but Gilliana did very well. Great to see both her and Phillipo and, in spite of what you suggested, [I had thought much the same about one week Tuesday, next Wednesday.], Olly and I are going to Spiller to play tomorrow evening! Not sure about following week but I'll find a solution.

Josinta, of course, brought more marinating wine but Pamela brought a 2015 Black Hills Roussane, 13.9%, which Etta insisted I open! She has developed quite a sophisticated wine sense since you left and she is not condemned to watching the ridiculous antics of Genoa City folk ! Just teasing, Duke wanted me to open it and I poured almost half a bottle into their water dishes. Etta is staggering and lurching all over the house but Duke can hold his liquor!

Great to see Famiglia Robson. No change at all and Gilliana is waiting for you to return, so much so that I think she'll collect you at the bus depot. Had a brief message from Spumoni today, [
Hi Patrick; Just to let you know that I won't be playing bridge in March either. Just not into it right now.... Pam], and I think she might be devolving into something serious. [ Gill knows more and she will try to visit her tomorrow. I gather, from reading between the lines , that Pam has had some serious mental struggles in the past.] Anyway, loads of fun. Fabulous bridge prizes so I won't have to work on my uffizzio as I'm giving everything away!

I'm off to Summerland, to Famiglia Dronkers, for dinner on Friday so I plan to take their wine back to them. Since it's so damn good I'm sure they'll be delighted! Pot Luck for Book Club is pretty much organized. Haven't heard from Jake but he wants me to ask neighbour, Bill, (Saw Ellen getting into her car a few days ago so I assume they are both back from Hawaii.), to phone him. I simply do not know why he doesn't pop by and knock on their door. In fact, I think Bill is avoiding him and I'm caught in the middle!

Plan to ask Amanda, in the next day or so, when she comes home for lunch, or on weekend, to help me clip the feline' s nails as they are now weapons of lethal, if not mass, destruction! Also would like her to help me harness Soccer Boy as he was most uncooperative when I tried to hook him up yesterday. He only wanted to eat the harness. Unfortunately, hard to be annoyed with them as they make your heart melt when they are cosy, somewhere, and look at you with such sleepy eyes! That is not to say that they are not Devil Cats, either! Still, we are very, very lucky to have such healthy, adorable and adoring kittens!

Must away as Duke has suggested quite an interesting Single Malt and I certainly appreciate his choice! Hello to Falcon Folk. Love and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bridge at Burns Street!


Dear Sir Pat and Lady Coriander. Trust all is well and concerned about your hip. Thanks for your amusing ecard. Pat was doing one of her gigs and fortunately after that we managed to get to a lovely Indian restaurant in Old Amersham just down the road from The Crown where you treated us to a lovely afternoon tea with Sharktooth Annie! All going well generally. Pat's gigs 'though a little quiet at present and I have reduced my work load.Busy singing and having art lessons. Swimming and walking. All our love. 

Hello Lady Patrizzia and Sir James! Glad that you enjoyed the cards and that all goes swimmingly! There is a great Indian restaurant here in town so when will you be over? If gigs are quiet, no excuses!!! Fondestos to you both. Take care of each other. Keep up the exercise! Bravo!! Onward!!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Change of phone number: Here is our new ‘landline’ (actually magicJack), number. This replaced our international Skype number which we plan to cancel.
We still have a home cell used when in Canada. Maggie & Frank Carr
Hi Magic Jack People! Trust life in Yuma goes well!!! Fondestos to you both. Take care of each other. Keep up the Pickleball! Quite a large contingent play out of the Penticton Community Centre and, recently, had a message from good friends in Terrace, informing me that the husband has just started playing and enjoys it immensely. Bravo!! Onward!!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Touche
II have been planning to read February but thought I should get my hands on Alligator first… or do you think it necessary??? What happened to your nose?! Your liquor cabinet is Impressive too.
 

[Blazer fan] I thought I had escaped the cold which started as a cold with our grandson, worked its way up to flu status for my daughter, morphed into a cold for Wally and then landed its cold, cat feet on my chest. As a result I am home tonight instead of attending the hockey game between the Kamloops Blazers and the Edmonton Oil Kings. Pic is the only one who stays healthy. I am listening to the game online and am happy to report that the Blazers have scored three goals in the first 8 min.
 

We have a paid parking place close to the arena and have taken on driving two elderly ladies to the game. Wally would have stayed home too but couldn't let them down. Besides they make a big fuss over him and he is not used to that state of affairs. You two sure are dedicated to take those trips to Vancouver. It would be a shame to not continue with your long standing friendships.

[Driving the van] Hi Alligator Woman! Sorry to hear about the nasty "code in door nose!" Such bugs usually end up in my chest and I often persist with a dry hack for light years! Hope yours is less long-lived as you'll miss too, too many hockey games if so. 

My, what a strapping, handsome young lad Kian has become! Does he have a delivery contract with FedEx? You and Wally must be bursting and beaming with pride all day long, even if poor Picasso is down in the dumps! 

Sorry, I can't help you as I've not read Alligator. My Jimmy Durante snozz was the result of a biopsy done a couple of weeks ago now. While we certainly enjoy any time spent in Vancouver, it really isn't, for me at least, a burning priority to return to city. That being said, if we know we will be there, for one reason or another, we try to collapse as many visits and such into trip. Per esempio, I will be driving to LA for our youngest grandson's wedding, in July, [Lady Dar is flying as she needs must be back for her Marriage Officiant duties.], so I'm going to return via Vancouver, [I'll drive south, through Osoyoos, when I leave.], so that I can attend the Folk Fest.

Speaking of Marriage Woman, she is performing a wedding in Kamloops, in August, and then, a week or so later, one for Leah Toews, one of Neil's granddaughters, [I believe you and/or Wally knew of him or worked with him, at some point.], to be held at The Quaaout Lodge on Little Shuswap. Rick, along with one of his twin sisters, bought the lovely cabin, at the very end of the road, on the point across from Chase, from their parents. We see them more there and here than when we lived in Vancouver as they are up for most/many of the weekends in the summer. Must away as I have a few errands to run. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

“Doublespeak" :: the language of “Doublethink". The mental capacity to be able to accept contrary opinions and simultaneously believe both to be true. Example: “accommodation is free, but comes with a price." No worries. I have some ideas for your shelving, especially the high profile, highly challenging “retro” stereo cabinet requiring a turn table and vinyl storage, readily accessible no less. Will discuss during your visit, preferably with appropriate beverage.

My genius, fortified by a recent IQ test I took, speaks for itself in the following pics of some coat/towel racks I recently constructed - on my Dad’s front porch, in bad weather no less. An hour r so with a chop saw, … all frigging afternoon without.
 

Hi Mr Fixit! Great work! Glad you are working out the kinks on your own place before turning to ours! Even happier that you understand both "Doublespeak and "Doublethink" as it will make your "paid" visit go even more smoothly!Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Greetings to all: Pam is still out of circulation and I will be away for 2 wks, but the Mon. Boot Hikes will live on. Aart and Tony kindly offered to look after it for a while. Here is the mailing list as I got it from Pam, with 3 CC of some latest additions. Anyone interested to make a suggestions and/or help Aart and Tony, please contact them directly. I believe Aart has an idea for the next hike, so please stay tuned and you will hear from him. With a temporary adieu, Al 

Patrico, Please have Tom Fleets, boy Bill phone me! Sounds like  a drug deal but  I'll do it! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi there! I liked your description of the cats and their quirks… especially one thinking it’s a dawg! Really like having small kids and they never grow up!!
Cute antics though! Too bad more men don’t take dance lessons, because they would meet a lot of women if they did… Instead they go to sports events or watch sports TV…… Oh well… I am enjoying the dancing with the few men who do show up…Hope you’re enjoying the spring weather! We have had nice days here for a change. Cheers! Moi




Hi Flashless Dancer!
Yes indeed, felines are an invasive species. To whit, Etta and Duke were annoyed with me this morning. They started "agitating" to go out at 6:00 am. I really didn't want to get up then so I made as if I was going to let them out, walking through the house to the Rumpus Room which leads to the garage where there is a cat door. They, of course, dashed ahead, making for the exit, so to speak. Once they were in the Rumpus Room I closed the door between it and the hallway! There is also a cat door into the garage where we have their litter boxes so I knew they had "options". Went back to bed and slept until 7:30 am and I received some nasty looks until I opened the outside cat door!

Had I not locked them out I knew Duke would keep pestering me to get up, batting my face and/or dive bombing me. He leaps up into the air and uses me as a target, with deadly accuracy!
 

Bit of frost this morning but sun is melting it as I scribe. The Marriage Mobile is parked on Burns and I can see windshield glinting as the rays shoo the ice away. Yesterday, I picked up my road bike from shop where I had taken it for a tune-up, a few days ago. Plan to go for my first ride of the new year in the early afternoon, when any frost should be gone. Have enough to worry about with winter grit on the road surfaces without having to be on the look-out for black ice! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick, It would seem to me the cats have taken over the Dunn/Durston household. They look pretty smug! We are buried in dust right now as we are having a wall removed and the resulting work that that entails. We are going to put in a glass railing to open up the staircase. It is Gerry’s idea and so far it seems to be working. Cheers, Dawn

Renovation Realities and More! Hi Ginger and Ben! Which channel is your new show on? Lady Dar loves to watch a whole slew of these programs so I'm sure she'd be delighted to know about your latest venture! I talked to her last night, just before I was off to play bridge, and she mentioned that she has had all sorts of ideas for renovations here so I'm already shuddering to think what awaits once she is back. I think Heraldo should have married her and left the two of us in antiseptic peace and quiet, in The White Room, plastic furniture covers and doilies so pristine that even CSI couldn't find a microfibre, micron of dirt, or God forbid, a red wine stain!

Maybe I should move the stationary bike to The White Room! Guess you probably wouldn't allow that though, Ms OCD! Buona Fortuna with Dust Buster. All the best to Heraldo Hazmat and Swifter Woman. Take care of each other. [Just out of curiosity, do you both wear rubber gloves and face-masks when you cuddle?] Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment