Thursday 16 February 2017

Kitchen Sink Blues: Thursday, February 16th!

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. -General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964) 



Hi Patrick, Just talked to Meggie, and they feel more comfortable to go to the Cannery for a beer, our original commitment with them. But feel free to join us afterwards. We plan to be in the lobby of the theater at 3.30pm.See you there. Jos Hi Josinta! That is fine, regarding your friends and Cannery, but I have already prepared dinner. Not a big deal as I can always eat "overlefts" but will you and Aarturo be coming after brewery? Any time works. Your friends are still welcome. Just let me know numbers and I'll plan accordingly. Don't worry if you feel you can't leave them if they still feel uncomfortable coming for supper. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Fort Garry Woman! No Marco Effect! How did everything go? Duke drove me out of bed at 7:30 am! Simply wouldn't leave me alone, dive-bombing me! Miss Etta was very placid, of course.

I'm off around 3:30 pm to Kitchen Sink. Nor sure if Josinta and Aarturo are coming for dinner or not,. They have some friends going to film and I told Jos, at bridge, that they were welcome as well. Jos said they were not "comfortable" coming, whatever that means. Anyway, I've readied two pork loins, potatoes and carrots, in the frying, pan. Perhaps I'll still be eating overlefts when you return! 


I'm listening to the tribute to Stuart McClean right now and then I'll shower and get ready to go. Plan to be there early with show at 7:00 pm cancelled. Thanks for that notice. Pics: Feline activity!

I was promoted to Vice President of Programming today xoxo!!! Tell the cats!! Love Ayn Hi VPP! Congratulations indeed, Ayn! Very, very well done. You deserved it! Bravo!! Onward and Upward!!! No need to tell the cats as they have already booked their tickets to Tinsel Town, catching late flight out tonight. Duke will text you from LAX once they've cleared Quarantine! Not sure if you've talked to Nana but she is at Pam's:  

Still at Pam's, mom staying in hospital over night. Just regular for her age and being not in city. Needs care for next 10 days. No one around here but me and the cats. Went back to hospital for an hour this afternoon. Mom looks like she was in the same bar fight as you. Will pick here up around 9 am and then after a few errands we will drive to the lake. Talk soon, love you, Cora Lee

Saw the Eagle Huntress this afternoon at the Art Gallery's Kitchen Stove series. I enjoyed it, most interesting if not riveting. Quite a change for a culture to have allowed a woman
to learn this amazing craft when there are many old Kazakh eagle hunters who vehemently reject the idea of any female taking part in their ancient tradition. Must away as Josinta and Aarturo are coming for dinner and I need to tend to a few things: pork loin, broiled potatoes, glazed julienne carrots and a mixed green saladin. I'm working on a 2015 Upper Bench Riesling, 12.1%. They are coming from Cannery Brewing so not sure if they'll stick to beer or not. I took two growlettes to cinema and asked Jos to fill them up. I gave them a ticket for movie so a fair exchange! 


Congratulations again! Couldn't be prouder of you, Ayn! Love, Dad! Pic: All this hootch, from Play Winery, is in the cat's checked baggage for celebration party!

Hello Cat Sitter! How is the weather? Did Ayn call you? What wonderful news! Give my love to Clarisse. Glad she is a bar brawler as well! Take a picture of her face! How was hotel? Famiglia Dronkers still not here so I might have to start on a red! Going back to hospice tomorrow as it is Marcia's birthday: Marcia's birthday is Friday February 17 and we are celebrating in the afternoon. We don't know how Marcia will be on that day but are planning for 2 pm. We can meet in the social room and if she can't join us we can visit in small groups. She is very aware that it is her birthday so I am sure she will want to get up. Please pass this on to anyone that knows her and I have missed.  If you can't come you can send greetings on Facebook. Hugs are always welcome. Colleen
 

Duke is on his blanket in Rumpus Room while Miss Etta is on our shower mat! Love to you my, Duhlink! 

I'll be there with the birthday cake ;) Michelle Hi all, so sorry that I can not be there, please pass on my warmest wishes and hugs to Marcia! I do not have her on my facebook, if you can share that with me, I will message her as well, thanks, Hanneke

All sounds spiffy!!- most importantly ,potluck-food or booze.?? Senka Welcome Home Terravistans! Both! Menu, as of this spiffy scribing, is open so you have the chance to sign up for first pot-luck submissions. As host, I will provide main course, so rest, (hors d'oeuvres, saladin, vegetables, dessert, hootch, plenty, if not copious amounts of same), are wide open for bidding! Trust you and Bobolino had a wonderful time in Mexico. Look forward to catching up. Pop by, when next in town, for a java or something stronger, as I am all alone with Lady Dar in Winnipeg for next couple of weeks.  Von Bingen, bring your toothbrush! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pic: At Legend, with Jillian, (wedding planner), Toshi, our former boarder, (in Vancouver), from Osaka, and Lady Dar, last weekend!

大好きなカナダ🇨🇦
カナダに来るといつも家に戻った感覚になる(^O^)
一緒に住んでいたのは20年以上前。
でもどこに引っ越しても離れていても、
カナダの家族がいる場所はいつでも私の第二の故郷❤️
ワインが大好きな両親の引っ越し先のペンティクトン、
オカナガンはカナダではワイナリーとして有名で、
小さなワイナリーが数多く点在し、葡萄園と果樹園と大きな湖が広がるのどかで素敵な場所。地元の美味しいワインを飲みながら、食事しながら両親やその友人たちと語る時間は本当に幸せ〜〜バンクーバーでは、ホストシスターが迎えてくれ、一緒に買い物したり、映画見たり、ご飯食べたり、
積もる話をしたり、一人っ子の私にはまさに姉妹!また会える日を楽しみに、今日からウィスラー。

It’s always wonderful to be back home! Living with my host family in Canada was over 20 years ago. But they are always my loving family, and wherever they live is home to me. Spending time with my host parents in Penticton was absolutely great! Delicious wines, foods, and the most importantly with awesome people. Staying with my host sister in Vancouver was lots of fun! Shopping, going to a movie, chatting...I’m only child, and she’s really like my sister! Corinne Durston, Patrick James Dunn, Chloe Alexis Dunn, Thank you so much for all the wonderful time! Chloe Alexis Dunn Love you Toshiko!!!! Takagaki Toshiko Love you, Chloe!!!!!

Patrick James Dunn Hi Toshi! Thanks for lovely message and wonderful pictures! We were certainly delighted to see you and it was a terrific time. Etta and Duke are very lonely without you! Travel safely. Fondestos and Cheers!
Greetings to all: Picked up the last copy of "February" in Kelowna, Chapters, yesterday and look forward to a great read while in Vancouver this week-end. Haven't read either of the other two books. March 16th-works for me-Format: also works for me. In a previous book club we followed the same format with the addition of some ice breaker "questions" on the book. Usually you can find these discussion questions on line. Just a suggestion Judi

Dear Patrick Thank your for the lovely lines. Yes, we are well and still in love!! On our trip we want to visit Vancouver Island. Perhaps you have ideas about overnight stays..We thought about the millionaires we met at the wedding in Mexico....?? Next week we will be skiing in South Tyrol/Italie. We will contact you in the beginning march. Kind regards Annemerie und Rudy Hi Annemaria Tremonti and RR, Lovebirds Extraordinaire!  

Have a terrific time skiing in Tyrol! I'm sure The Millionaires, Francesca and Greg, would be delighted to see you. They travel a fair bit so you would/might need to coordinate dates of any proposed visit. You probably want to go the Long Beach on the west coast of Vancouver Island so their place, in Parksville, is right on the way. At any rate, as you say, we'll be in touch, après–ski! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Josinta loved fire. We had quite a heated discussion, while eating, about indigenous peoples and Aarturo opined that it was time for them to put past behind them. When I tried to explain that it was a far more complicated situation than "just getting on with it" they cited an incident from when they were travelling, somewhere in the north of the province, and had stopped in an isolated community to ask where they could buy some basics, toilette paper, canned food, etc. 

The people they spoke too insisted they take whatever they needed as their supply had just been delivered and they would simply ask for more supplies. Both Jos and Aart saw this as an example of people taking advantage of "welfare" rather than trying to understand the complex set of circumstances which set this whole "dependency" cycle in motion, let alone an entirely different set of cultural values regarding sharing.

At any rate, Aarturo became so agitated when I pressed him about his attitudes and his insistence upon some sort of "quick solution" that he threatened to up and leave! Anyway, he didn't but I still feel he is wearing some pretty strong blinders, feeling that he has worked hard for everything so why shouldn't others, regardless of past circumstances. Anyway, lots of action! Pics: Dinner with friends, Josinta and Aarturo last night after we saw the Eagle Huntres. Right afterwards, Josinta and Aarturo went to Cannery Brewing, a few blocks from our place, to have a drink with other friends from hiking group while I went home to ready dinner. 

I opened a 2015 Upper Bench Riesling, 12.1% before they arrived as I was not sure if they'd stick to beer or not. I took two empty growlettes, (small, re-useable, glass containers), to cinema and asked Josinta to fill them up. Aarturo is holding Duke. Cat Wars: Etta vs Duke!
Pushbike song You’ll love this one…………MEN WILL ALWAYS BE MEN……..Hugs from Hildi Hi Von Bingen! I think the yellow cycling outfit should be the official garb for all the hiking group babes when we go riding! None of the men would have any trouble with hill climbs then! Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Arv! This is the sight and sound of Spring! Cheers, Patrizzio!

So sweet! Hope you and your honey had a lovely celebration! Hi Patrizzia!
Glad you enjoyed the card! Celebrated a day earlier as Lady Dar flew to Winnipeg on the 14th to see and help out with her parents. Fondestos and Cheers, to you, Patrizzia, and to The Grumpy Winemaker!

Hi Pat, Maybe your jazzy cats would like their own kind of wine? Would keep them out of your drinks cabinet!! Sara Hi WWW, (aka Wonder Wine Woman!)! Great to hear from you! Trust everyone is well. Thanks for link but have decided to put wine-nip on hold as the felines are already wild enough without extra stimulation!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/business/smallbusiness/wine-products-for-cats-and-dogs.html?emc=eta1

Why drink alone when you can drink with your pet? The question comes from two competing start-ups in the unlikely product category of faux wine for cats (and, to a lesser extent, dogs) that comes in miniature bottles with cutesy names. No alcohol is involved (think liquid catnip). But already the company that brought its products to market first, Apollo Peak — which calls itself “the original cat winery” — is accusing its newer competitor, Pet Winery, of being a copycat.

Both ran discount promotions for Valentine’s Day. Both have come up with clever names for their products: For $11.95, people can buy Fluffy an 8-ounce bottle of Catbernet or Pinot Meow from Apollo Peak, which is based in Denver.
 
I'll be busing to Vancouver myself, on March 8th so that I'll be there in plenty of time for bridge evening I've organized for Thursday, then VWF Dram Come True on Friday and Sevens Rugby on the weekend. Since Lady Dar insists, quite unreasonably, as far as I'm concerned, that she needs the car I won't be able to bring my bike along so I'll have to make do with elliptical at False Creek CC. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!




No comments:

Post a Comment