Monday 27 February 2017

Frosty Feline Blues: Monday, February 27th!

The universe is like a safe to which there is a combination. But the combination is locked up in the safe. -Peter De Vries, editor, novelist (27 Feb 1910-1993)

Ships in the offing
Photo: Richard Holland
Thanks for the ideas! Will see what the day brings! Hate early flights. And it's late!! Luise Hi Luise! I trust you made it home safely. Did you wander around Olympic Village/Seawall? Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Hi all, I don't think I will join you for the walk this morning, but since you will be so close by, please come to my house afterwards for coffee and or tea and cookies! I would love to see you and I will be home. there is room in the driveway for a few cars, but Doug will need to beable to get in to the garage. He has a noon hour appointment. Hope to see you today, Hanneke

Chloe and I watched all the presentations. What a mix up at the end. Chloe picked me up. Waiting for Michele to bring keys. Glad snow is not staying. Talk later. C


Hello Harbour Terrace et al! Lovely to chat, this morning, Duhlink. Did Flamin' eventually bring key over? You might wish to reconsider coming home as it has started snowing again. I went to Superstore around 2:30 pm as I needed milk and a few other things. The hills to the west, towards Apex, were shrouded in what I thought, at first, was mist or low cloud but realized it was actually snowing! When I came out of the store there were light flakes falling but nothing stayed.

Back home I  put the groceries away and then went to change into gear for stationary bike. I had decided that it was rather too cold to ride outside and anyway when I next looked out the front window there was a thin blanket of snow over everything and it was definitely sticking!

Rode for 90 minutes and then was doing my leg stretches when Duke dashed through the Rumpus Room. Noticed he was carrying something in his mouth and I was worried it might be an elastic band or a piece of string. I really didn't want him to swallow anything that might cause complications so I followed him and found him in the hallway by the telephone stand. When I managed to get it away from his needle sharp claws I discovered, to my dismay, that it was Etta's collar! [He really is a "fetch" boy, although I was unnerved by what he had retrieved this time!]

Dreaded what might have happened, of course, that she had been injured, or worse, and lost her collar, as a result. Checked the front yard first and when she didn't appear I shut the Rumpus Room cat door so Duke couldn't follow me and went outside to look for her. No sign of her in the driveway or back lane or the south side of the house so I headed back to look in same places. Was a bit concerned when she didn't appear, anywhere, this time either, so called out her name, as I had been doing, all along, and just as I was about to go back into the garage, from patio side, she came trotting along, from direction of back fence. Of course, she didn't want to come in so I made to close the door and then she darted through the open door!

Duke was waiting in the Rumpus Room and then I got another surprise. I may be misreading things, but Etta seemed really annoyed and extremely aggressive towards Duke as once they were face to face, between the two armchairs, she really hissed at him, back arched, and chased him all over the house. I continued to do my stretches while they tore around, finally ending up beside me again. Another Mexican standoff until Duke slunk around the base of the stationary bike and disappeared! I can only assume that they had been tussling/wrestling earlier, somewhere outside although I don't even know that for a fact, and that her collar had disengaged.

Anyway, I thought I'd better try to calm them down so I opened a tin of crab meat and gave them the juice. I was planning to use it on my salad anyway, so hoped treat might distract them long enough to forget about the feud. I must say I have never seen them behave this way towards each other. Talk about a cat fight. Perhaps it is a function of their becoming older. Duke better be careful as Etta certainly wasn't pulling any punches and, as you well know, she outweighs him by probably half again! At the moment, I'm bracketed by both, Etta on a cushion on the chair beside me, Duke curled up on the armchair!

Guess I'll have to leap out of bed tomorrow morning, when Duke starts to pester me, to do walks. Thought I could put the snow shovels away but not to be. Forecast suggests it is supposed to keep snowing into the early hours of the morning and then clear but will remain chilly so don't know if it will melt or not. Long range forecast indicates there will be periods of snow, from time to time, for next week or so. With my nose almost completely healed I'll be heading back to the pool if I can't ride outside. Fondestos, Love and Cheers, Patrizzio, aka Dad!

Pics:
Light dusting, initially, but more by the time lanterns came on; You can just make out my footprints, almost covered when I took snap, that I made when I took out some recycling earlier. Etta and Duke, in repose, for now, alone and together!

Hi again Misha! I'm rather sorry to admit that I have not read any of Haruki Murakami's works. Had a recent message from friend, Ray, who is a voracious reader. He mentioned that he was going to have to return Six Four to VPL because it is 650, or so, pages long, (War and Peace!), and he has too many other library books to finish first!

In case you don't know, by Hideo Yokoyama, apparently a potential successor to Stieg Larsson or Jo Nesbø: "For five days in January 1989, the parents of a seven-year-old Tokyo schoolgirl sat and listened to the demands of their daughter's kidnapper. They would never learn his identity. They would never see their daughter again.

For the fourteen years that followed, the Japanese public listened to the police's apologies. They would never forget the botched investigation that became known as 'Six Four'. They would never forgive the authorities their failure.

For one week in late 2002, the press officer attached to the police department in question confronted an anomaly in the case. He could never imagine what he would uncover. He would never have looked if he'd known what he would find."
Since I enjoy this genre
, I had Six Four jotted down for future reading. Not sure what your weather is like in Vancouver but has started snowing here again! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi again, Glasgow! Had to laugh at your take on La La Land. Think you had it confused with the film adapted from the nursery nursery rhyme, Land of Nod! Cheers, Patrizzio! my god ,have they stopped growing? also very pretty
 
Hello Patrizzio and thanks for the update of all that's recently been going on with you and Corinne, etc. You're busy as always! We just returned from a bit of a vacation - just spent 3 days down in Cayucos, a little beach town just south of Hearst Castle and north of Morro Bay, not far from San Luis Obispo. The seemingly nonending California rains stopped just in time for our trip and it remained dry the entire trip. 

Today marks the 6th day of dry weather - we're not sure what to think. We'd gotten so used to the rain. We feel like we have had enough for this season, but I'm sure there will be more to come. Hoping it stays away for the Barrel Tasting weekends coming up, this weekend and the following. We'll be hosting some family and friends for these two weekend affairs and it would be great if the weather cooperated too! You can always tune in to see what's happening during the event by checking out our live cam on our website - it will make you feel like you're almost here celebrating with us! Take care and have a great week! Best,
Pat


What a lovely card! You made me blush :) I hope you had a beautiful Valentines Day with Corinne! Love and hugs to you both, Ariane 

Hi Ariane! Pleased to learn that you enjoyed the card, even if it made you blush! In fact, we celebrated a day earlier as Lady Dar flew to Winnipeg on the 14th, to see her parents. Trip went well and she returned to Vancouver on Sunday so that she could attend her book club on Monday. She will bus home, mid-day on Wednesday, so I hope the Coquihalla is not closed! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat, I’m sorry to do this, but I will have to cancel our bridge party. I just found out that my mom has past away and so I don’t think I will be here next week. I’m really sorry and promise that the next time you have a free night in Vancouver, I will be happy to host another bridge night. Janet Just received this a few minutes ago! 

Dearest Janet! Both Corinne and I send our heartfelt condolences on the death of your Mother. Gladys was a wonderful, wonderful person and we were always delighted to be in her company. Know that we grieve with you and for you and your family I can hardly begin to imagine what you must be going through, having to deal with this at all, let alone at a distance, at least initially. Again, our thoughts and love are with you, Corinne and Patrick.

Tell Janet how sorry I am about Gladys passing. CTell Janet how sorry we are to hear of her mother's passing Remember playing bridge with her at champagne Charlie's Clara  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment