Tuesday 14 August 2018

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof Blues: Tuesday, August 14th!

The beginnings and endings of all human undertakings are untidy. -John Galsworthy, author, Nobel laureate (14 Aug 1867-1933) 






Patrick James Dunn That's not firewood, that's a sculpture! Come back on up and sculpt with our raw materials! Cheers!
Up at 6:00 am to find Miss Etta curled up on the shower mat. She immediately started loving me, twining herself around my legs and giving me gentle bites, purring like a small outboard. When I went outside the front door El Diablo was still not responding to my calls but when I was on the back patio I heard a pathetic series of meows and looking up I saw him on the louvres. He has been up there regularly so I was worried that he had been in another fight and might have been injured and not able to jump down. At any rate, I asked Lady Dar to help me try to coax him down. By the time I brought the sliding aluminum ladder to the back patio he had moved to the edge of the roof above the collapsible clothes line and crouched there, crying pitifully.

Image: John Perivolaris
I clambered up onto the louvres and Etta hopped, easily, from the fence, to the roof and then went to investigate her brother's plight. She padded up too him and began licking him, encouraging him, according to Lady Dar, to come down. I was reluctant to go down to him but he didn't respond to my entreaties, disregarding the rattle of the crunchies I thought might lure him closer to me. This being the case, I decided I might as well clean the gutter and the louvres. There was quite a bit of build-up, leaves and black earth, in both, close to the house. I suppose this section is more protected from rain and wind so such material collects, especially in the drier months.

Anyway, Duke didn't budge the whole time I was cleaning so once I'd handed down the full yard waste bucket I asked Lady Dar for a small step stool and using it I climbed back onto up onto the roof proper and this time Duke walked slowly towards me. When he was close enough I picked him up and then popped him onto the other side of the roof. Form here he could jump to the roof of our neighbour's shed and then to our fence and he was down. Not quite sure why he wouldn't/couldn't do this on his own but perhaps he has lost some of his confidence after his nasty fight. Perhaps his leg still isn't strong enough yet as he certainly doesn't "spring" onto our bed or the bathroom counter as before. No trouble leaping off same so his reluctance still puzzles me. Nevertheless, pleased to find him. I assume he might well have stayed on the roof overnight, poor lad. At one point, when calling him inside, last night, I thought I heard a meow or two but really didn't pay it any attention at the time. If it was him, a cry of distress, I suppose. Feel badly as it was quite chilly so he would have needed his fur coat!

Will be at my place instead of Patrick and Corinne's. See you at 530 for potluck and cards to follow Judy Hi Judy Blue! Thanks for sending out up-date! Did you find your card table? I know we had it for some time but my recollection is that you repatriated it, at some point, before I left for Europe. At any rate, it is not here, at Burns, and not at Sendero. Initially I thought it might have been taken, inadvertently, by the movers. Not so. Anyway, we are more than prepared to replace it as it comes in so very handily for two tables and you have always been so generous with sharing it. Anyway, if needed, let me know and I can always pick one up before we meet this evening. Thanks again for hosting. Cheers, Patrizzio! I borrowed a table for tonite so no worries. See you tonight. Judy Xo Many thanks Judy!!! See you at 5:30ish. Hugs Olly

Hi Pat I am glad my "Sermon" caught some of your thinking. I probably should allow your comments to last word. But let me add a brief word by way of defending Alberta. I drove the Crowsnest Highway from Medicine Hat to Penticton and back. In Alberta I noted massive solar and wind installations. Miles and miles of wind turbines. There is a brand new 17 acre solar farm (do you know how big 17 acres is?) just down the road at Brooks! What is BC doing to ween the world off carbon. I don't see a lot of evidence that BC is doing much. It is at least as automobile dependent a culture as anywhere in North America. And I don't think I saw a single turbine on the BC side of the border.

I am aware of the 600 fires in BC and the smoke that will surely cause some deaths before it clears. Global warming is real. Yes a pipeline to ship Alberta oil to Asia is bad news. But your plea to stop using Carbon NOW is not based in the real world which takes longer to fix issues that were centuries in the making. China is doing a lot about global warming too. Step One for them was moving from coal to natural gas. An imperfect step--and a necessary one considering the air pollution in Beijing and other cities in China.

I am very happy for Chloe getting moved into her new home. And for Ayn's announcement that she is about to be a grandmother. You have a right to feel so proud of your girls. Congratulations my friend.

PS I am mindful of how difficult it is to be watching over Corinne's niece's journey with cancer. Just to note that Medicine Hat is about half way between Penticton and Wpg if you find yourself wanting to drive through. I expect flying might be the more practical option but if you ever need a bed please let me know. And whether or not you are coming my way, my thoughts are worth all the people who are part of this sad journey. Jim


Friend Janet, from Vancouver, arrived this evening, at 7:30 pm, and I picked her up at the airport. Drove straight to Judy Pratt's place as we were having bridge there that evening. Janet plays and so with her we had two full tables.

Greetings to all those who know Karl: Our friend Karl is in the Penticton hospital awaiting surgery for a bowel obstruction. He called me today and I visited him this evening. It all happened rather suddenly - went to the emergency on Sunday, had a colonoscopy today and will have surgery tomorrow, or the day after. He is in good spirits, having total faith in the Creator and in doctors and other medical staff and a high hope that he will be out of there soon. He would appreciate some contacts with his hiking buddies and a BRIEF visit, if allowed. All of you, if you believe in the power of positive thought, send him all your excess energies. Let us collectively keep our fingers crossed. Al 

No comments:

Post a Comment