Friday 17 August 2018

Front Street Brasserie Blues: Friday, August 17th!

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. -Piet Hein, poet and scientist (1905-1996) 


Hello dear bridge players, Since Aart and I are leaving Smokeyland on Tuesday, is there a possibility that we change our bridge day to Monday night? Or later afternoon 4ish might maybe work. Jos Jos, are you asking about possible 4ish late afternoon on Tuesday? We could do that.

We are already going out monday evening so that is no good for us. Gill and Phil I am not able to play either day this week. Enjoy your time away jos Judy I am not able to play either day this week. Enjoy your time away jos Judy

As before we can only play Tuesday and will host if the smoke is bad. Our AC is good!! Do prefer to go to beach if we can. Gill and Phil Hello all bridge friends, I am back in town, so if anybody needs one more (not so crazy bidder) I am available. Just let me know when, and where, and I am looking forward to seeing you all. Regards, Mike Patrick and I can play either day. As long as it is so smoky I think for Olly’s sake we need to play in doors Corinne As before we can only play Tuesday and will host inside at our place. Are you guys doing pot luck?? If you wanted that I'd do a bean salad. Gill

 
Hello Okanagan Smoke Eaters! Welcome back, Kite-surfer Man! Are you home, as well, Naramata Goil? At any rate, in spite of Josinta's plea for a Monday gathering, Tuesday will be best for most so we will congregate on Spiller Road, to bask in the cool, filtered air of Il Palazzo di Robson. Summerlandians are welcome to car-pool with us. I suggest we forgo pot-luck as meal was part of beach picnic setting. This being the case, let's plan to start play at around 6:30 pm, so carpoolers be at Burns near 6:10 pm.

Does anyone have an email address or phone number for Carol as we need her since Judy Blue and Josinta cannot play this week. If so, please invite her to join us or forward contact information to me. Please confirm attendance and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Last Tuesday at Judy Blue's Key Lime Pie Restaurant with friend, Janet, parachuted in to make up two tables!

This morning Janet and I walked downtown as I wanted to deposit the cheque I received from Pacific Blue Cross for travel expenses incurred as a result of my hospitalization in Berlin. Very pleased that the coverage paid for most everything Lady Dar had to spend for airfare, hotel, food, etc. I reimbursed her for "rescue mission" once we were back home so was happy to receive cheque, as you can well imagine, Dear Reader! Company still requires a detailed breakdown of medical expenses before they pay hospital but we received that documentation a few days before cheque arrived so will have to mail that off this coming week.


As well, wanted to pick-up a few postcards to mail to my "Guardian Angel", Ulrike, in Berlin, as she collects them from friends around the world. Once back I had to go to Sendero to be there when Chloë's king bed frame was being delivered. I stayed until chaps had set it up, [Chloë popped in as she was worried I wouldn't be able to handle things!], and then put mattress, [delivered earlier that week], on top. Looks great but I still think bed is too large for room. Anyway, it is her place. When I left I took a huge load of packaging frame came in to recycling depot. Still have another load of cardboard left but will probably cut it up in her garage and put it in her recycling bin as it and yard waste and garbage bins were delivered last week.

Back home, Janet was relaxing, reading on back patio. Shortly thereafter, we readied ourselves and we drove to Arawana Road to do a short hike on KVR. Wanted to show her some of the stunning views from the trail, close to the Little Tunnel. Gorgeous walk in spite of the smoke and she was very impressed with the vistas. On way home we stopped at Upper Bench as she wanted a few more bottles of wine. [Friends, Paul and Joan Whitney, will mule her six bottles back to Vancouver in September. They will be staying with us in mid-September and did same haulage last year!] Back home she finished packing and Lady Dar drove her to the airport as I had to shower and change for dinner. We were taking Chloë to the Front Street Brasserie for her birthday. Said goodbye to Janet and then was about to have my shower when there was a knock on the front door.

Had stopped at kitchen cabinet place on way to hike and had picked up some additional shelf pins there as we needed them for the shelves we had not yet mounted in cabinets. At any rate, there was a woman in small showroom and I overheard her talking about kitchen counters for the home she and her husband were building so I suggested she pop by our place to see what Lady Dar had chosen. Didn't really think she would do so but she did! I showed her around and asked her if she wanted a glass of water or wine and she immediately opted for latter! 

Lady Dar was back a few minutes later so I said goodbye to Renée and went to ready myself for dinner. Renée had gone when I was finished changing and then Chloë arrived, again, straight from work. She put on some make-up and we drove downtown. Katie was meeting us at restaurant as she was returning from Oregon, [after funeral for her Dad], staying with Chloë for weekend as Brian and kids are in Newfoundland for a couple of weeks. She arrived shortly after we had ordered so Lisa, owner, suggested which dishes they could do that would satisfy her vegan diet! At any rate, we had a simply marvellous meal and rowdy time with plenty of hootch. We know both Lisa and John, her husband/chef, reasonably well, from past meals, and it was almost like being at home without having to cook or do dishes!

Bottle topper: Buying Scotch whisky casks the latest craze as demand soars globallyPersonally, I’ll stick with 26ers of Calona Red! From the Globe and Mail: <https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-buying-whisky-casks-latest-craze-with-some-expected-to-sell-for/?utm_source=Shared+Article+Sent+to+User&utm_medium=E-mail:+Newsletters+/+E-Blasts+/+etc.&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links> Ross

Hello Calona Red/Porch Climber/Shoe Polish/After-Shave/Mentholated Spirits Man! Trust you are well in spite of your ghastly choice of drink. Thanks for link but I had already seen it, sent to me by another friend who, like you, never shares anything about his life, even in brief, but simply forwards such material, knowing I have a fondness for malt. While I do appreciate the thought, must say that I care little for what the rest of the world seems to be up to with Scotch, in particular, or the latest wine varietal making waves in the bistros of West Vancouver or Tinsel Town. Tell me about your fly fishing or the latest Bambi slaughter or the latest book you couldn't put down and I'm keen to receive such news. In general I spit on the easy click of a forwarded, pre-packaged article and find this is all too common in these days of Social Media This, and Social Media That. For my part I'm still a POB, Print Oriented Bastard!

That being said, about a month or so ago, at the Farmers' Market, here in Penticton, I had occasion to chat with Grant Stevely, owner of Dubh Glas Distillery, in Gallagher Lake, at his booth, and he reported that the half-cask of malt I purchased, (with five other friends), two years ago, will be ready for release mid-June, 2019. Perhaps you and the Fayre Juliette can visit and we can toast each other, you with your Jug Red, [I was almost undone to know that any well-heeled Les Bourgeois de Vancouver Ouest even knew that Calona Red existed!], we with our locally distilled malt. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you, Deer-Slayer, and Juliette of the, (Locally Crafted), Spirits. All the very best. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi All: The surgery took place as planned, yesterday afternoon. I saw Karl today and am happy to report that all is well, the operation went w/o any complications. The patient is in great spirit and, hard to believe, he may be discharged and sent home already tomorrow. Nothing but good news. It seems that our collective finger crossing really worked. Speedy recovery, Karl, all those nice autumn hikes are waiting. And so are we. Cheers, Al (and all the OF well-wishers)

Hello Dear Fartograms, Coming Monday, August 20, we plan another bike ride, the ride that was the backup plan for our canoe/kayak trip from last Monday (which we celebrated in KJ Coffee Bar in OK Falls). Starting point will be at the parking lot next to the Jackson Triggs Winery in Oliver, and make a loop: Ride up the Black Sage Road and return over the the path along the channel. It is a lovely fairly leisurely ride, so no excuse to bail out!

We will meet at the Home Hardware parking lot in Penticton at 8:30AM (Summerlanders can meet at 8:10AM to carpool to Penticton). From Penticton we will all drive to the starting point in Oliver. After the ride we will, once again, celebrate our outing with a beverage of your choice in an establishment of your choice! Look forward to see you there! Aart ... the cycling mountain bard! Hi all, I think Doug and I will wait to see what the smoke situation is like tomorrow morning. No fun to have no views, and to breathe all that smoke. Hanneke
 

No comments:

Post a Comment