Wednesday 1 August 2018

Ride Like the Wind to Nowhere Blues: Wednesday, August 1st!

The whole art of teaching is only the art of awakening the natural curiosity of young minds for the purpose of satisfying it afterwards. -Anatole France, novelist, essayist, Nobel laureate (1844-1924)



 




Hi Patrizzio, Jos and my lesson will take place at Doc's Golf Centre which is just left of the bridge coming into Penticton from Summerland. Skaha would be the closest for us. Since the instructor is out of town until Monday we won't get a lesson time until then but it will be sometime on Tuesday afternoon. Way to go Duke..... he is one chillin' dude. Hugs, Olly I like the idea of Tuesday at 5 at Prague cafe beach Judy Great idea, will be there. Jos Hi Back-Swing Babes, et al! Nine Iron Josinta has indicated that she likes the sand bunker at the Prague Café better than the many sand traps at Skaha Lake Park so rest of us will be waiting at the 19th tee, anytime after 5:00 pm, on Okanagan Lake, for you, Putter Polga, and Driver Dronkers to arrive on Tuesday, August 7th. 

Menu is starting to come together but folks should indicate what tasty contributions they'd like to bring. I plan to make a watermelon/Feta/mint salad, as large as needs be, depending on number attending. Must away as I needs must work on filling out form for CRA. Our Old Age pensions have been cruelly clawed back as a result of sale of loft and capital gains. Since we will have substantially lower net incomes for 2018 we can "beg" for relief! [Once again, "Cheque's in the mail!"] Fondestos from Flatlander Woman, out with her walking group, to one and all. Cheers and Four!!!! Patrizzio!

Great time on the beach on Monday. We're good for 5pm at Prague cafe beach. Phil and Gill Hi Judy Blue: Fabulous! Trust spuds will be marinated in Vodka! Cheers, Patrizzio! What about me bringing Harvest smoked sausage? Yummy, Judy Blue Jos I think it should/must be Summer Smoked Sausage, Josinta! Cheers, Patrizzio, Chief of Sausage Police! [Hello all, Did any of you took my insulated Contigo water bottle by accident or on purpose with you. I looked everywhere possible but can' t find it. It is my favorite! Hope I am lucky. Jos I am skipping the meal/food but will join you all for the bridge. Gill Hi All, I'll miss-out on the pot luck but will drive there with Gill in time to join you all for the bridge afterwards. Cheers. Phil
 
Patrick, It sounds like such a wonderful venue. Miss you guys. Have fun!!! 😘🤗. Barbie Hi Barbarella! Lovely to hear from you. Trust all goes well. Stay well. Fondestos from both Lady Dar and Chloë. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Shot of sunset, from KVR, taken by Chloë, a few days ago, while walking after work. Omg. Can’t believe you’re redoing the kitchen! I thought it was really nice. Would love to see pictures when its finished. No doubt you’re waiting for a big farm sink....They must be super popular. A lot of people wait for them it seems. Chloe’s house looks big!! She must be so excited. It’s been a long wait. You and Corinne look wonderful! Hope you’re feeling better.
 
I understand you had a few problems in Europe.  Damn I hate it when shit happens. 😟 Hi to the bridge brigade. Big Montreal hugs to all.....Barbie. 😘🤗
Hi again, Barb! Yes, I had a couple of falls, while walking, in Poland, after fabulous bike tour concluded. Probably as a result of start of pneumonia which landed me in hospital in Berlin for a week. Clean bill of health once back home but not yet back to fighting fitness. To help with recovery, finally had an opportunity to use the Allu-trainer. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Ann! Must apologize for being a tardy correspondent. At any rate, pleased as punch to bump into you at Folk Fest and meet Kiwi Man. Trust you are both well. Keep in touch, and as I mentioned, if you are up our way, let us know. You are welcome to stay. Stay well. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Pics: Folk Fest; Lynn with Dave Lambert, another retired librarian! I met him when he was at Cap College. Hi Donald, (and Miss Marpole!)! More than pleased to run into you at Folk Fest. Trust you and Sue are both well. Keep in touch Vice-Principal Don, and as I mentioned, if you are up our way, let us know. You are more than welcome to stay. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Rosemary!
Sorry to learn that you are still suffering from the shingle attack. I cannot begin to fathom how uncomfortable you must be and do hope relief comes as soon as possible. I am sending this to you as I know Andre isn't much for email. Certainly enjoyed chatting with him although he was the bearer of the news about his mother's death. Will send him a sympathy card, [Andre, heartfelt sympathy to you on the death of your mother. Much love and affection, Corinne and Patrick.] so could you "warn" him that if he sees something from Jacquie Lawson in his mailbox it isn't spam! Thanks! Fondestos from Flatlander Woman, out earlier with her walking group, to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: With any luck either cabinet Murphy bed, under window, or in my office, will be free, when you visit! 

Hello Mother Courage Kathryn! Trust you are well! I know Lady Dar has already told you that she will not be volunteering for this year's Fest and I am writing to do the same. It was a difficult, nay painful decision. Aside from not being able to listen to the glittering line-up of authors I know we will miss The Fest Family even more, the many, many marvellous friends we have made over the years and the new acquaintances one always meets. The move to Penticton, of course, plays some part in this decision but everything runs its course and we know that "The New Kids" on the volunteer block will carry the torch even higher than "The Olds" as Chloë refers to her parents!

Interestingly enough, at this year's Folk Fest I bumped into Ann and her Kiwi Man, on Sunday. As I'm sure you know, she is at SFU, fund-raising for the Library. She was meeting with Lynn Copeland, former University Librarian, next day and Lynn was sitting close to us, for Main Stage. As well, Don Fisher, earlier in the day, and I remember we met you at their Christmas Open House, lo these many years ago. Fond, fond memories indeed!

Busy, busy on the home front with walk-through at Chloë's town-house tomorrow, move-in, August 8th, we trust! Fingers crossed!! At the moment we are living in a construction zone as Lady Dar embarked upon a total kitchen renovation while I was cycling in the Czech Republic and Poland! Probably won't have a kitchen sink until end of August, as these things always seem to go. Nevertheless, we have a steady stream of visitors eating off paper plates and swilling wine right from the bottle, all to save dish-washing in the guest bathroom kitchen sink! Lady Dar is doing a job stellare cooking wonderful meals on the bbq so we are summer kitchening, (very well, thank- you very much), our way through the summer, smokey, at times, though it be.

At any rate, it is your turn to make the trek so please let us know when you will be in our neck of the woods as we'd love to see you here, at Burns Street. Again, Fondestos to one and all in Command Centre, Folk Fest HQ, especially to you, dearest Kathryn. One way or 'tother, I trust our paths will cross in the not too, too distant future. Cheers, The Poorer for not Volunteering Patrizzio! Pics: New kitchen cabinets and cork flooring. Have to wait until sink is delivered, promised mid-August. Cheque's in the mail! Have to wait until it is installed before counter-tops and upper cabinets can be put in place.

Patrizio! Does this mean you are RETIRING from Writers Fest volunteering or just that you’re not committing for this year??? You will both be so missed, this year but in the future too (if that’s your intent) Thanks for your pix, how nice that you ran into Ann & Don at the Folk Fest and also Don Fisher.

We are just back from 2 ½ weeks in Australia (Dick had a conference in Brisbane and that made it a cheaper holiday for the two of us; we visited rellies and some good friends who have moved to Melbourne. It was my first visit there, came home impressed with the varied topography, the way that Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane make the most of their river settings and their commitment to public spaces (walkways, bike paths, etc). Would like to return some day to see some of the interior, the wild places and also the south (Adelaide, Great Ocean Road, etc) and the west (Perth, etc). That could all take several trips, I know.

The next time we are in Penticton, we will give you a shout or a heads-up before we come. Later in the fall this year, perhaps. Take care and many many thanks for all you and Corinne have contributed as volunteers and Festival supporters over the years. I do hope you come back as volunteers again, but if you are truly ‘resigning’ or ‘moving on’ then all I can do is to wish you well and give you both the biggest THANK YOU and WE’LL MISS YOU as I can. PS: tell Lady Dar that I loved the look of her kitchen cabinets. I’ve always hankered myself after coloured kitchen cabinets and blue is a perpetual favourite of mine. Kathryn

Hi Marps, [I've been listening to the odd episode of Miss Marpole, on BBC 4, of late!], or Off Broadway Goil! Sorry we didn't connect over Folk Fest weekend. Simply too, too full a schedule, unfortunately. Didn't know of Seong Soo Li's death. Both Howard and I always liked him very much.

Finally had an opportunity to use Allu-trainer, given to me by Janet, a few years ago now. Had set it up last Sunday. Rode for an hour, [My alarm clock and water bottle beside me!], reading Ripper, by Isabel Allende, under our large umbrella. It was a bit like cycling in a sauna as it was about 34º C, in the shade, but felt wonderful to be back exercising. Fondest from Lady and Chloë to you and Colin. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Back patio gym! A few days ago I caught our felines in the front yard, Duke to the left and Etta, in the shade of the plants on the berm, a number of which are cacti! Duke was sleeping where Etta was and I wanted to get a snap of him there but by the time I was back with my camera he had picked himself up and pushed himself through vegetation to sidewalk, sporting a small cactus hat. I was able to hold him until I could remove, with great difficulty, let me tell you, the more than needle sharp thorn cluster! I don't think any of the thorns had penetrated his skin, just caught in the fur, as he didn't struggle or complain, in the least, during time I was trying to figure out how to remove cluster without impaling myself! Will it be rattlesnakes next?
 
Patrizzio – my god what a raconteur!!! I need a day or two to absorb it all but count on something this weekend. Tonight I’m off to work the Steve Martin show at the QET. Wild and crazy guy – should be fun. Take care for now and say hi to the lady of the house. Cheers, David
Hi Volunteer Man! Please find enclosed an Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Course! How was Steve Martin Show? I believe he was with Martin Short. Am I correct? Think I noticed an ad on TV. One of my favourite films is Roxanne. Shot in Nelson, as you might know. Funnily enough, so to speak, Lady Dar and I saw it in the late '80's, in Sonoma, in a lovely theatre on the historic town plaza, a remnant of the town's Mexican colonial past, while on a wine-tasting holiday. Shortly after I'd finished Lady Dar and I drove to her favourite beach, not far from Penticton Art Gallery, at the bottom of Ellis, for a more than refreshing dip. Set us up for rest of evening, cooled off nicely, me from my ride, she from her walk with Flatlander group earlier in day. Hello from Lady Dar, just off to do the downward-facing cat, [Etta and Duke, our felines insist position never be called "Dog"!] Cheers, Patrizzio!

Greetings from the Aikens Loop! I am here and I am in LOVE. I might never go home! I have the most gorgeous view of a vineyard and the lake...WOW!!! Just WOW!!! So look forward to meeting you on Friday! Please let me know what time and the address...and I will be there with bells on! 😊�� Yay! Cheers, Okanagan never going home Jane Hi Never Never Land Jane! Welcome to the Okanagan! I'm a tad confused, however. Was message sent from Kelowna or are you already in The Naramata? At any rate, pleased as punch that you are well pleased with view. We live on Burns Street, a block or so before Government, off Eckhardt, just before you head up Haven Hill towards Naramata. Give us a shout as I need to know a bit about your schedule. Senka said that Saturday would be a good time to meet. I have not heard back from either Gavin or Dylan but I know they will be around on the weekend, perhaps Friday as well.

Timing for Friday's dinner is quite flexible as we can adjust, [Basically this means opening more bottles of wine!], to accommodate your tasting schedule. We have the walk-through at Chloë's townhouse at 2:00 pm that afternoon but other than that we really have nothing on, other than endless dusting  At any rate, cork is in your court now so please give us a shout when you have a moment, tearing your tired eyes off view or staggering from winery to winery! Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!



 



No comments:

Post a Comment