Monday 13 August 2018

Double Stuffing Blues: Monday, August 13th!

There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it. -Alfred Hitchcock, film-maker (13 Aug 1899-1980) 

George Ryga
One of the smokiest mornings so far this summer. The smell was unbelievably heavy, like being next to an open fire, only more acrid, sootier, when I let the early bird kittens out at 4:00 am. So strong that I shut both the living room and bedroom windows. Usually leave them open during the night as the cooler evening air makes sleeping more comfortable. Over 600 wild-fires in BC as of this writing so long-term prospect is very disturbing, frightening, to say the least, especially since the phenomenon is world-wide.

Big news today is that kitchen sink is to be delivered on Wednesday so we are hoping that it and the counter which supports it will be in place by the end of the week as plumber will come on Friday to install sink. Lady Dar is working on having electrician back tomorrow so that wall oven can be installed and appliance people will be able to put fridge, wine-fridge and microwave finishing in place at the same time. Friend Janet, from Vancouver, arrives tomorrow, until Friday so it would be nice if we have a more-or-less finished kitchen!

I had an appointment with my surgeon this afternoon and I liked him, Dr. Porte, very much. He thought I should have both navel and lower groin hernia repaired as opposed to wearing a medieval truss! I had gone in expecting/wanting surgery so pleased that he was in favour of same. Don't have a date yet but Diana, his receptionist, thought that either September or October were not out of the question. Anyway, very pleased that I have that iron in the fire as I'm hoping that with those "internal renovations" in place I will be able to present myself, in the best possible physical condition for right shoulder replacement scheduled mid-March next year. I'll be laughing all the way to the OR unless Trump slaps a tariff on Titanium!

I popped up to Sendero to drop off a few bits and pieces that Chloë had left and bumped into her, on the way home, at the IGA, on Government. Last night she became violently ill just after crossing border, having to ask Brian, the driver, to stop a number of times for her to vomit by the roadside. Originally, she was planning to drive back to Penticton but obviously could not do so. Fortunately she could stay with F/S but spent most of the night in the bathroom. We didn't learn of this turn of events until this morning when she set off for home an she felt she had suffered food poisoning. I talked to her when she was taking a break in Merritt and she said she was quite tired but her stomach adn bowels had started to feel much better.
 

Anyway, she popped into our place on way home and had a quick cuddle with Duke and a visit with her Mom. She looked pretty well, given ordeal she had just been through and even carried most of my heavy groceries to the car. She had stopped off to buy an avocado. Other, more positive, exciting news, is that Ayn phoned last night to inform us that we are to be great-grandparents, all going well, in late February. Sam and Alex will find out the sex of the fetus next month, although I do not know why people do that, unless there are medical reasons for so doing. At any rate, we are delighted, of course.




Just found out that we are hosting the bridge game tomorrow evening. Originally we had planned to have a picnic/swim at Skaha Lake Park but smoke is so pervasive and thick that a number of people will only play if game is inside. Since I'll be collecting Janet, at airport, around 7:00 pm, it is easier for us if we host. Since she also plays so we can "parachute" her in to one of the tables as I believe there will only be seven locals. Anyway, must away as I have been charged with scrubbing tub in guest bathroom as well as wiping down all the shelves in the medicine cabinet and below the sink. All this while Lady Dar is watching The Young and The Useless! Cheers, Patrizzio!






Pics: Lady Dar shows off her latest upholstery project at Sendero Canyon, this past Thursday. Bench for breakfast, with F/S and my fabulous Dirt Road java, guarded by Lady Dar! Peach Parade; Farmers' Market with organic peaches and then Julien with my friend, Jake Snyder; Sendero, under the counter garbage gizmo!




Phil and I are good for the bridge but we won't come for the Pot luck. Hope to see you at Skaha tomorrow evening. Gill I can play on Tuesday as well and Skaha beach sounds great. I’ll bring cold BBQ salmon. See you soon, Olly We will bring a potato salad. Corinne What about considering an inside location for tomorrow night, the smoke is so bad....I can bring a beet salad? That’s fine with me. Potluck at 5:30, bridge at 6:30?? Corinne Meant to say it can be at our place Corinne Due to the smoke I really can not be outside, but if we have our Bridge evening inside, I'm in. I'll bring some BBQed salmon (cold).




It would be better for us to host as we have a friend coming tomorrow evening that Patrick will go and pick up. She is a bridge player. Thanks for offering Jos. Our place is OK for bridge. cheers corinne I am just reading all the dialogue about playing inside. Corinne I am Also happy to have it at my place. The plus for here is that I have a/c and a dishwasher!! So let me know if you want to switch venues... Judy Phil and I won't be available till later, maybe even after 6.30 so we'll see you then. please let us know where you'll be Gill Phil and I won't be available till later, maybe even after 6.30 so we'll see you then. please let us know where you'll be Gill

Hello Old Farts, This Thursday, let’s see what Mount Baldy has to offer. It has been suggested several time over the last few weeks, and we haven’t done it. So……-meet at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton at 0800 (0740 at IGA in Summerland). If anyone from the south wishes to join us, get in touch with me and we will arrange a meeting point and time. -carpool and drive to the Mount Baldy ski hill parking lot. -climb and explore -return to our vehicles and select a place for debriefing and refreshment (likely in Oliver)- -head for home. Are you interested? If so, give me a nod. I look forward to seeing a few of you. Cheers, Jim

Hi Fartograms, Please see below a note from Al TInka about our friend Karl Lane. Aart Dronkers Hi Jim and Aart: Would you please fw this message to those OF's on your list who know Karl. Please, make sure that the message does not go to Karl himself. Greetings to all those who know Karl: Our friend Karl is in the Penticton hospital awaiting surgery for a bowel obstruction. He called me today and I visited him this evening. It all happened rather suddenly - went to the emergency on Sunday, had a colonoscopy today and will have surgery tomorrow, or the day after.

He is in good spirits, having total faith in the Creator and in doctors and other medical staff and a high hope that he will be out of there soon. He would appreciate some contacts with his hiking buddies and a BRIEF visit, if allowed. All of you, if you believe in the power of positive thought, send him all your excess energies. Let us collectively keep our fingers crossed. Al
Karl is at home, on a day pass, reporting back to the hospital this eve. Al



No comments:

Post a Comment